Re: [Meditation Society of America] Re: food controversy

  • sean tremblay
    Message 1 of 9 , Oct 15, 2008
      Has there been any news on the formation of a free yogic/vedic/ayurvedic web site sponered by the Indian Gov. I say a program on the topc and It ws supposed to counter the profiteering of India's cultural inheritence. But I have not found the sight.
      Any body have a bead on that?

      Message 2 of 9 , Oct 15, 2008
        <bethjams9@...> wrote:

        > Has there been any news on the formation of a free
        yogic/vedic/ayurvedic web site sponered by the Indian Gov. I say a
        program on the topc and It ws supposed to counter the profiteering of
        India's cultural inheritence. But I have not found the sight.
        > Any body have a bead on that?

        Yo Sean,
        While Googleing about Ayurvedic web sites,
        I found then below copied info. And just when
        I was about to order one of my favorites:
        Chwayn Prash, which i have found
        to be an excellent "wake me up" that has no
        crash at all.
        Oh well!
        'Ayurvedic' Medicines May Contain Lead, Mercury or Arsenic

        August 26 (HealthDay News) -- About one in five
        ayurvedic medicine products purchased on the
        Internet contain significant levels of lead,
        mercury or arsenic, a new study finds.

        The researchers found that products manufactured
        in the United States were even more likely to
        contain the metals than those made in India, where
        the ayurvedic approach was first developed centuries
        ago. Furthermore, 75 percent of the products containing
        lead, mercury or arsenic advertised that they were
        manufactured using "Good Manufacturing Practices,"
        which is a U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA)
        regulation meant to ensure quality.

        "We randomly purchased 193 traditional Indian
        (ayurvedic) medicine products from the Internet.
        About 60 percent were from U.S. companies and 40
        percent from Indian companies. Twenty-one percent
        had significant levels of lead, mercury and arsenic,"
        said the study's lead author, Dr. Robert B. Saper, an
        assistant professor of family medicine at Boston
        University School of Medicine, and director of
        integrative medicine at Boston Medical Center.

        In high levels, these metals can be toxic.

        Results of the study are published in the Aug. 27
        issue of the Journal of the American Medical Association.

        Ayurvedic medicine is an ancient Indian practice that
        combines the use of numerous modalities, such as
        herbal medicine, massage and special diets, to promote
        wellness and prevent illness, according to the U.S.
        National Center for Complementary and Alternative
        Medicine.

        There are two common practices in ayurveda -- either
        herbal medicine alone, or herbal medicines combined
        with metals and gems, a practice known as rasa shastra.
        In rasa shastra, herbs are combined with metals such
        as lead, mercury, iron and zinc, and gems such as
        pearl. Those that practice this type of ayurveda believe
        it is safe and therapeutic, according to the study.

        Saper said that "many traditional Indian practitioners
        believe quite strongly that if rasa shastra is done
        correctly, it is safe," that he feels these practices
        should be "seriously called into question." Saper also
        said that he doesn't believe anyone should deliberately
        ingest lead, mercury or arsenic.

        The current study included 193 products randomly
        selected and purchased over the Internet. The researchers
        found that 20.7 percent contained metals. The rate in
        U.S. manufactured products was 21.7 percent, and in
        Indian products, it was 19.5 percent.

        Not surprisingly, almost 41 percent of rasa shastra
        products had a greater prevalence of metals, including
        high levels of lead and mercury. "Several Indian-manufactured
        rasa shastra medicines could result in lead and/or
        mercury ingestions 100 to 10,000 times greater than
        acceptable limits," the researchers wrote.

        Seventy-five percent of the products claimed to be
        manufactured under Good Manufacturing Practices.

        Products made by members of the American Herbal
        Products Association (AHPA) were less likely to
        contain metals, according to the study.

        Michael McGuffin, president of the AHPA, said, "It's
        not an accident that AHPA members performed better.
        We've called our members attention to the presence of
        heavy metals in plant materials. Lead is ubiquitous.
        It's in the soil and in the plants. I don't think you
        can get these levels to zero, but it is the manufacturers'
        responsibility to know the amount and to limit it."

        AHPA also recommends that its members don't manufacture
        rasa shastra products.

        Saper said that the FDA hasn't currently set a maximum
        level allowed for lead, mercury and arsenic in dietary
        supplements, but he believes they should.

        McGuffin recommended buying products made by members
        of AHPA, because the study found they were least likely
        to contain metals, and he said consumers should call
        the makers of their medicines and "ask tough questions."
        He said if you call a company and ask what their limits
        are for lead, and the representative says they don't
        know, that's a red flag.

        SOURCES: Robert B. Saper, M.D., M.P.H., assistant professor, family
        medicine, Boston University School of Medicine, and director,
        integrative medicine, Boston Medical Center, Mass.; Michael McGuffin,
        president, American Herbal Products Association, Silver Spring, Md.;
        Aug. 27, 2008, Journal of the American Medical Association

        FAIR USE NOTICE
        This site contains copyrighted material the
        use of which has not always been specifically
        authorized by the copyright owner. We are
        making such material available in our efforts
        to advance understanding of environmental,
        scientific, spiritual, and social justice issues,
        etc. We believe this constitutes a 'fair use'
        for in section 107 of the US Copyright Law.
        the material on this site is distributed
        without profit to those who have expressed a
        prior interest in receiving the included information
        for research and educational purposes. For more
        information go to:
        http://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/17/107.shtml.
        site for purposes of your own that go beyond 'fair use',
        you must obtain permission from the copyright owner
      • sean tremblay
        Message 3 of 9 , Oct 15, 2008
          I recon I'll stick to beer

> [...]
          > authorized by the copyright owner. We are
          > making such material available in our efforts
          > to advance understanding of environmental,
          > political, human rights, economic, democracy,
          > scientific, spiritual, and social justice issues,
          > etc. We believe this constitutes a 'fair use'
          > of any such copyrighted material as provided
          > for in section 107 of the US Copyright Law.
          > In accordance with Title 17 U.S.C. Section 107,
          > the material on this site is distributed
          > without profit to those who have expressed a
          > prior interest in receiving the included information
          > for research and educational purposes. For more
          > information go to:
          > http://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/17/107.shtml.
          > If you wish to use copyrighted material from this
          > site for purposes of your own that go beyond 'fair
          > use',
          > you must obtain permission from the copyright owner
        • Gwyn Plaine
          Message 4 of 9 , Oct 15, 2008
            Ironically, mercury is in vaccines, as stabilising agent. There's no
            safe ingestion level for mercury, and injecting it is worse than oral
            ingestion. THe FDA are refusing to look at mercury free, due to cost.
            Amazing how the rules vary by the size of company pushing the
            poison... :)

          • M.V.T. DHANANJEYAN
            Message 5 of 9 , Oct 15, 2008
              --- In meditationsocietyofamerica@yahoogroups.com, "Gwyn Plaine"
              <gplaine@...> wrote:

> [...]
              > >> authorized by the copyright owner. We are
              > >> making such material available in our efforts
              > >> to advance understanding of environmental,
              > >> political, human rights, economic, democracy,
              > >> scientific, spiritual, and social justice issues,
              > >> etc. We believe this constitutes a 'fair use'
              > >> of any such copyrighted material as provided
              > >> for in section 107 of the US Copyright Law.
              > >> In accordance with Title 17 U.S.C. Section 107,
              > >> the material on this site is distributed
              > >> without profit to those who have expressed a
              > >> prior interest in receiving the included information
              > >> for research and educational purposes. For more
              > >> information go to:
              > >> http://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/17/107.shtml.
              > >> If you wish to use copyrighted material from this
              > >> site for purposes of your own that go beyond 'fair
              > >> use',
              > >> you must obtain permission from the copyright owner

              DEAR SIR

              IN HINDU CULTURE THE MERCURY IS KNOWN AS SIVANAR VINDHU ( SEMEN
              OF LORD SIVA). THERE ARE MANY MEDICINE WITH MERCURY. I CAN SAY
              SIVANAR AMIRDHAM IS ON OF THE METAL MEDICINE-- AYURVEDA PEOPLE USES.
              THERE ARE OTHER MEDICINES LIKE GOLD PASPAM (POWDER), IRON PASPAM ,
              PEARL PASPAM NOTING BUT PROCESSED POWDER OF SEA SHELL. SO OLD
              MEDICINE USES MANY METAL AS MEDICINE. NOW, ONLY WE ARE TALKING ABOUT
              NANO PARTICLE . BUT , OUR ANCESTOR HAD KNOWLEDGE VERY LONG BACK ABOUT
              NANO MEDICINE.

              ACTUALLY IN SCIENCE THERE IS NO TECHNOLOGY EXISTING TO SOLIDIFY
              MERCURY . BUT IN AYURVEDIC TECHNOLOGY SOLDIFICATION IS THEIR FOR
              MERCURY. IN SOME SHOP THEY SELL SOLDIFIED MERCURY IN THE FORM OF SIVA
              LINGA PEOPLE USES FOR PRAYAR (LIKE STATUE).
            • truthgold9
              Message 6 of 9 , Oct 15, 2008
                <gplaine@...> wrote:

> [...]
                > >> authorized by the copyright owner. We are
                > >> making such material available in our efforts
                > >> to advance understanding of environmental,
                > >> political, human rights, economic, democracy,
                > >> scientific, spiritual, and social justice issues,
                > >> etc. We believe this constitutes a 'fair use'
                > >> of any such copyrighted material as provided
                > >> for in section 107 of the US Copyright Law.
                > >> In accordance with Title 17 U.S.C. Section 107,
                > >> the material on this site is distributed
                > >> without profit to those who have expressed a
                > >> prior interest in receiving the included information
                > >> for research and educational purposes. For more
                > >> information go to:
                > >> http://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/17/107.shtml.
                > >> If you wish to use copyrighted material from this
                > >> site for purposes of your own that go beyond 'fair
                > >> use',
                > >> you must obtain permission from the copyright owner

                Dear Sir

                Yogic , vedic , ayurvedic is nothing But

                Yogic is indicated who is master in meditation . By meditation who
                achieved many things like knowing about past and future. flying in
                air, vanishing from one place and appearing in an another place,
                coming out from your body and going inside these are all a part of
                achievements . Ultimatum is higher than this.

                People who achieved higher capability like coming after death (like
                Jesus) known as yogis

                vedic -- well defined observed fact written long long back ago with
                high understaning known as veda . the procedure is known as vedic.
                It explains all about the universe all things in the universe. But in
                a hidden form. One should analyse and experience to understand.

                ayurvedic -- old method , medical science using herbs and metals as
                medicine. Well available in india , china , japan .
                I can't say is not available in other place. It may be their in some
                other name.