Re: [Meditation Society of America] Contented cows

  • sean tremblay
    Message 1 of 24 , Oct 9, 2008
      You Know Gwyn I have traveled SE Asia and sampled most everything with an open mind and an eagerness to experience my surroundings but sometimes I found I just had to exept the fact that I was foreign and that was OK to pass a few things up without judgment. Like monkey, fertilized chicken egg, and a few other things I found the locals were cool with that.
      Exception being when the host has really broke the bank to feed you at that point I'd choke anything down.
      (It has not come up yet, but I'd pass on dog, Dogs are buddies not food, I never had a cow buddy)

      Message 2 of 24 , Oct 10, 2008
        It's interesting how strong what is actually a cultural illusion
        actually is, is it not? Intrinsically, there's no reason that one
        can't eat dog, or cat, or monkey, or chicken embryos at any stage of
        development, yet the Westerner shudders at the thought. Since the SE
        Asian will happily eat balut, or something that's still thrashing, yet
        'we' won't is evidence there is little objective about the 'distaste'.

        There again, there are some foods we've trained ourselves to eat. If a
        plant as toxic as the Brussel's Sprout was found today, they'd not be
        able to sell it as food. Same with water cress, or the swede
        (rutabaga), or the pepper... The reason children often 'don't like'
        Sprouts is that their body recognises that it's something that is
        toxic, and reacts.

        Having said that, oxygen is technically 'toxic' to carbon based life forms....

        On Fri, Oct 10, 2008 at 3:14 AM, sean tremblay <bethjams9@...> wrote:
        > You Know Gwyn I have traveled SE Asia and sampled most everything with an
        > open mind and an eagerness to experience my surroundings but sometimes I
        > found I just had to exept the fact that I was foreign and that was OK to
        > pass a few things up without judgment. Like monkey, fertilized chicken egg,
        > and a few other things I found the locals were cool with that.
        > Exception being when the host has really broke the bank to feed you at that
        > point I'd choke anything down.
        > (It has not come up yet, but I'd pass on dog, Dogs are buddies not food, I
        > never had a cow buddy)
      • Gwyn Plaine
        Message 3 of 24 , Oct 10, 2008
          Not even I'm adventurous to eat 'rotten' ones, although I know a place
          that does the "100 year old " eggs.

          Generally, I'm not a carrion eater. If it's dead and squirming then
          it's probably not good for the gut of a 'Civilised' (I use the term
          loosely) Westerner.

        • sean tremblay
          Message 4 of 24 , Oct 10, 2008
            Oxygen can be especialy under pressure, the toxic affects can be felt depending on personal tolerence at 30fsw if your breathing pure O2. Otherwise I've found pure oxygen underpressure like in a chamber to be a great cure for the "Irish Flu"

            > It's interesting how strong what is actually a cultural
            > illusion
            > actually is, is it not? Intrinsically, there's no
            > reason that one
            > can't eat dog, or cat, or monkey, or chicken embryos at
            > any stage of
            > development, yet the Westerner shudders at the thought.
            > Since the SE
            > Asian will happily eat balut, or something that's still
            > thrashing, yet
            > 'we' won't is evidence there is little
            > objective about the 'distaste'.
            >
            > There again, there are some foods we've trained
            > ourselves to eat. If a
            > plant as toxic as the Brussel's Sprout was found today,
            > they'd not be
            > able to sell it as food. Same with water cress, or the
            > swede
            > (rutabaga), or the pepper... The reason children often
            > 'don't like'
            > Sprouts is that their body recognises that it's
            > something that is
            > toxic, and reacts.
            >
            > Having said that, oxygen is technically 'toxic' to
            > carbon based life forms....
            >
            > On Fri, Oct 10, 2008 at 3:14 AM, sean tremblay
            > <bethjams9@...> wrote:
            > > You Know Gwyn I have traveled SE Asia and sampled most
            > everything with an
            > > open mind and an eagerness to experience my
            > surroundings but sometimes I
            > > found I just had to exept the fact that I was foreign
            > and that was OK to
            > > pass a few things up without judgment. Like monkey,
            > fertilized chicken egg,
            > > and a few other things I found the locals were cool
            > with that.
            > > Exception being when the host has really broke the
            > bank to feed you at that
            > > point I'd choke anything down.
            > > (It has not come up yet, but I'd pass on dog, Dogs
            > are buddies not food, I
            > > never had a cow buddy)
          • Gwyn Plaine
            Message 5 of 24 , Oct 10, 2008
              My weapon of choice for that particular illness is something with a
              lot of MSG and ibuprofen...