Re: [Meditation Society of America] Contented cows

  • Jeff Belyea
    Message 1 of 24 , Oct 9, 2008
      Eggs are chicken menses? Must be the new biology...
      and I haven't even caught up with the new math.

      --- In meditationsocietyofamerica@yahoogroups.com, "Gwyn Plaine" <gplaine@...> wrote:

      > I eat chicken menses too, since that's what eggs are... :D
      >
      > Since I have no choice in the matter, I decided long ago that being
      > squeamish about my animal sourced food was hypocrisy. Thus, nose to
      > tail... I miss chitterlings, since they decided that the health and
      > safety issues around getting properly cleaned ones meant they were
      > 'unfit for human consumption'... Yet they push crap like
      > 'Splenda'(tm), Aspartame, and '"high fructose corn starch" like it's
      > mother's milk...
      >
      > On Thu, Oct 9, 2008 at 2:21 PM, Jeff Belyea <jeff@...> wrote:
      >
      > >...dead flesh...

    • Gwyn Plaine
      Message 2 of 24 , Oct 9, 2008
        Vegetarian booze is all a bit of a problem...

        What? There's animals in booze? Vote for
        your favourite!

        The main issue for vegetarians and vegans is the use of 'finings'
        during manufacture of beers and wines. An array of agents are used
        during the fining process to clarify and stabilise the drink. Wines
        and beers which have not been fined are less likely to be clear and
        bright or may form a haze once bottled. In addition, tannic red wines
        can be made less astringent by fining since some of the tannins are
        removed. The fining agent is a processing aid not an additive, so in
        theory none should remain in the wine. However, it is impossible to
        guarantee this and most vegetarians object to the actual use of the
        agent. You'd think organic would be better, that's often the case, but
        not always, so do check. There are over 50 additives allowed by the
        EU, but the wine industry is exempt from labelling laws. Food
        Labelling Regulations in the UK exclude all drinks with an alcohol
        content exceeding 1.2% by volume, meaning only very low or
        non-alcoholic beers, wines and ciders are required to list all
        ingredients. This is something the winemakers are fighting hard to
        keep as they don't want you seeing all the chemicals they use to make
        their wine. Not very helpful if you are vegan or vegetarian.

        These are the most common agents used during the fining process.

        Gelatine - from bones and connective tissues of cows or pigs
        Isinglass - obtained from fish swim bladders
        Chitin - derived from the shells of crabs or lobsters
        Casein - obtained from milk
        Albumin - from egg whites
        Ox Blood - banned in Europe due to BSE (Gwyn Plaine comment - I don't
        know about the colonies)

        http://www.veggiewines.co.uk/ :D

        eet smakelijk...

        On Thu, Oct 9, 2008 at 10:20 PM, Jeff Belyea <jeff@...> wrote:
        > Well, of course, Sean. Beer is a "grain beverage".
        >
        > OM (Old Milwaukee) lite.

      • Gwyn Plaine
        Message 3 of 24 , Oct 9, 2008
          'Fraid so, old chap... not something that the Egg marketers want one
          to think of, but what else would you call un-fertilised ova expelled
          as a by product by a female of any species? I eat free range, since
          battery farms are things of horror... there's being robust then there
          is being barbaric... What was it Churchill said? 'A dark age illumined
          by the lights of black science' or something similar. Factory methods
          for life forms are an abomination... just my opinion...

          Back to eggs. You really don't want one fertilised.... although they
          are quite a SE Asian delicacy at the late stage. A tad crunchy for my
          tastes. If you want to look up Balut... it's duck, not chicken

          I know people who are squeamish about milk (something I have sparingly
          since I don't approve of the method of obtaining it... I have a rice
          replacement.... it's like I won't eat crate raised veal...)

          On Thu, Oct 9, 2008 at 10:33 PM, Jeff Belyea <jeff@...> wrote:
          > Eggs are chicken menses? Must be the new biology...
          > and I haven't even caught up with the new math.
          >
          > --- In meditationsocietyofamerica@yahoogroups.com, "Gwyn Plaine"
          > <gplaine@...> wrote:
          >>
          >> I eat chicken menses too, since that's what eggs are... :D
          >>
          >> Since I have no choice in the matter, I decided long ago that being
          >> squeamish about my animal sourced food was hypocrisy. Thus, nose to
          >> tail... I miss chitterlings, since they decided that the health and
          >> safety issues around getting properly cleaned ones meant they were
          >> 'unfit for human consumption'... Yet they push crap like
          >> 'Splenda'(tm), Aspartame, and '"high fructose corn starch" like it's
          >> mother's milk...
          >>
          >> On Thu, Oct 9, 2008 at 2:21 PM, Jeff Belyea <jeff@...> wrote:
          >>
          >> >...dead flesh...
        • Jeff Belyea
          Message 4 of 24 , Oct 9, 2008
            Thanks. I have flexitarian tendencies, but
            my wife is a vegan, raw food dominant
            yoga teacher, Pilates instructor, personal
            trainer and Body Flow group fitness leader -
            a bonafide health nut (I use the nut term
            in a food sense) and devotee of Yogananda
            Paramhansa.

            So, no animal products darken our doorway,
            (but I am always in danger of backsliding
            as long as MacDonalds has double cheeseburgers
            on the dollar menu), and she prepares "milk"
            with either brazil or almond nuts, or sunflower
            seeds sweetened a bit with dates...all delicious.

            --- In meditationsocietyofamerica@yahoogroups.com, "Gwyn Plaine" <gplaine@...> wrote:

            > 'Fraid so, old chap... not something that the Egg marketers want one
            > to think of, but what else would you call un-fertilised ova expelled
            > as a by product by a female of any species? I eat free range, since
            > battery farms are things of horror... there's being robust then there
            > is being barbaric... What was it Churchill said? 'A dark age illumined
            > by the lights of black science' or something similar. Factory methods
            > for life forms are an abomination... just my opinion...
            >
            > Back to eggs. You really don't want one fertilised.... although they
            > are quite a SE Asian delicacy at the late stage. A tad crunchy for my
            > tastes. If you want to look up Balut... it's duck, not chicken
            >
            > I know people who are squeamish about milk (something I have sparingly
            > since I don't approve of the method of obtaining it... I have a rice
            > replacement.... it's like I won't eat crate raised veal...)
            >
            > On Thu, Oct 9, 2008 at 10:33 PM, Jeff Belyea <jeff@...> wrote:
            > > Eggs are chicken menses? Must be the new biology...
            > > and I haven't even caught up with the new math.
            > >
            > > --- In meditationsocietyofamerica@yahoogroups.com, "Gwyn Plaine"
            > > <gplaine@> wrote:
            > >>
            > >> I eat chicken menses too, since that's what eggs are... :D
            > >>
            > >> Since I have no choice in the matter, I decided long ago that being
            > >> squeamish about my animal sourced food was hypocrisy. Thus, nose to
            > >> tail... I miss chitterlings, since they decided that the health and
            > >> safety issues around getting properly cleaned ones meant they were
            > >> 'unfit for human consumption'... Yet they push crap like
            > >> 'Splenda'(tm), Aspartame, and '"high fructose corn starch" like it's
            > >> mother's milk...

          • Gwyn Plaine
            Message 5 of 24 , Oct 9, 2008
              You'll have to send me the nut milk recipe off topic... sounds good.

              as to the rest, diff'rent strokes... we're nothing without diversity IMO :)

            • sean tremblay
              Message 6 of 24 , Oct 9, 2008
                Thank God I'm not a veggan. I'm just gona keep on keepin on and keep dodging cliche's like they are rotten chicken menses(yic) Oh wait beer drinkin suburban American dad Rats! I just fell into the pit of it!

                > Vegetarian booze is all a bit of a problem...
                >
                > What? There's animals in booze?
                > Vote for
                > your favourite!
                >
                > The main issue for vegetarians and vegans is the use of
                > 'finings'
                > during manufacture of beers and wines. An array of agents
                > are used
                > during the fining process to clarify and stabilise the
                > drink. Wines
                > and beers which have not been fined are less likely to be
                > clear and
                > bright or may form a haze once bottled. In addition, tannic
                > red wines
                > can be made less astringent by fining since some of the
                > tannins are
                > removed. The fining agent is a processing aid not an
                > additive, so in
                > theory none should remain in the wine. However, it is
                > impossible to
                > guarantee this and most vegetarians object to the actual
                > use of the
                > agent. You'd think organic would be better, that's
                > often the case, but
                > not always, so do check. There are over 50 additives
                > allowed by the
                > EU, but the wine industry is exempt from labelling laws.
                > Food
                > Labelling Regulations in the UK exclude all drinks with an
                > alcohol
                > content exceeding 1.2% by volume, meaning only very low or
                > non-alcoholic beers, wines and ciders are required to list
                > all
                > ingredients. This is something the winemakers are fighting
                > hard to
                > keep as they don't want you seeing all the chemicals
                > they use to make
                > their wine. Not very helpful if you are vegan or
                > vegetarian.
                >
                > These are the most common agents used during the fining
                > process.
                >
                > Gelatine - from bones and connective tissues of cows or
                > pigs
                > Isinglass - obtained from fish swim bladders
                > Chitin - derived from the shells of crabs or lobsters
                > Casein - obtained from milk
                > Albumin - from egg whites
                > Ox Blood - banned in Europe due to BSE (Gwyn Plaine comment
                > - I don't
                > know about the colonies)
                >
                > http://www.veggiewines.co.uk/ :D
                >
                > eet smakelijk...
                >
                > On Thu, Oct 9, 2008 at 10:20 PM, Jeff Belyea
                > <jeff@...> wrote:
                > > Well, of course, Sean. Beer is a "grain
                > beverage".
                > >
                > > OM (Old Milwaukee) lite.

              • sean tremblay
                Message 7 of 24 , Oct 9, 2008
                  You Know Gwyn I have traveled SE Asia and sampled most everything with an open mind and an eagerness to experience my surroundings but sometimes I found I just had to exept the fact that I was foreign and that was OK to pass a few things up without judgment. Like monkey, fertilized chicken egg, and a few other things I found the locals were cool with that.
                  Exception being when the host has really broke the bank to feed you at that point I'd choke anything down.
                  (It has not come up yet, but I'd pass on dog, Dogs are buddies not food, I never had a cow buddy)

                  > 'Fraid so, old chap... not something that the Egg
                  > marketers want one
                  > to think of, but what else would you call un-fertilised ova
                  > expelled
                  > as a by product by a female of any species? I eat free
                  > range, since
                  > battery farms are things of horror... there's being
                  > robust then there
                  > is being barbaric... What was it Churchill said? 'A
                  > dark age illumined
                  > by the lights of black science' or something similar.
                  > Factory methods
                  > for life forms are an abomination... just my opinion...
                  >
                  > Back to eggs. You really don't want one fertilised....
                  > although they
                  > are quite a SE Asian delicacy at the late stage. A tad
                  > crunchy for my
                  > tastes. If you want to look up Balut... it's duck, not
                  > chicken
                  >
                  > I know people who are squeamish about milk (something I
                  > have sparingly
                  > since I don't approve of the method of obtaining it...
                  > I have a rice
                  > replacement.... it's like I won't eat crate raised
                  > veal...)
                  >
                  > On Thu, Oct 9, 2008 at 10:33 PM, Jeff Belyea
                  > <jeff@...> wrote:
                  > > Eggs are chicken menses? Must be the new biology...
                  > > and I haven't even caught up with the new math.

                  > "Gwyn Plaine"
                  > > <gplaine@...> wrote:
                  > >>
                  > >> I eat chicken menses too, since that's what
                  > eggs are... :D
                  > >>
                  > >> Since I have no choice in the matter, I decided
                  > long ago that being
                  > >> squeamish about my animal sourced food was
                  > hypocrisy. Thus, nose to
                  > >> tail... I miss chitterlings, since they decided
                  > that the health and
                  > >> safety issues around getting properly cleaned ones
                  > meant they were
                  > >> 'unfit for human consumption'... Yet they
                  > push crap like
                  > >> 'Splenda'(tm), Aspartame, and
                  > '"high fructose corn starch" like it's
                  > >> mother's milk...

                • Gwyn Plaine
                  Message 8 of 24 , Oct 10, 2008
                    It's interesting how strong what is actually a cultural illusion
                    actually is, is it not? Intrinsically, there's no reason that one
                    can't eat dog, or cat, or monkey, or chicken embryos at any stage of
                    development, yet the Westerner shudders at the thought. Since the SE
                    Asian will happily eat balut, or something that's still thrashing, yet
                    'we' won't is evidence there is little objective about the 'distaste'.

                    There again, there are some foods we've trained ourselves to eat. If a
                    plant as toxic as the Brussel's Sprout was found today, they'd not be
                    able to sell it as food. Same with water cress, or the swede
                    (rutabaga), or the pepper... The reason children often 'don't like'
                    Sprouts is that their body recognises that it's something that is
                    toxic, and reacts.

                    Having said that, oxygen is technically 'toxic' to carbon based life forms....

                    On Fri, Oct 10, 2008 at 3:14 AM, sean tremblay <bethjams9@...> wrote:
                    > You Know Gwyn I have traveled SE Asia and sampled most everything with an
                    > open mind and an eagerness to experience my surroundings but sometimes I
                    > found I just had to exept the fact that I was foreign and that was OK to
                    > pass a few things up without judgment. Like monkey, fertilized chicken egg,
                    > and a few other things I found the locals were cool with that.
                    > Exception being when the host has really broke the bank to feed you at that
                    > point I'd choke anything down.
                    > (It has not come up yet, but I'd pass on dog, Dogs are buddies not food, I
                    > never had a cow buddy)
                  • Gwyn Plaine
                    Message 9 of 24 , Oct 10, 2008
                      Not even I'm adventurous to eat 'rotten' ones, although I know a place
                      that does the "100 year old " eggs.

                      Generally, I'm not a carrion eater. If it's dead and squirming then
                      it's probably not good for the gut of a 'Civilised' (I use the term
                      loosely) Westerner.

                    • sean tremblay
                      Message 10 of 24 , Oct 10, 2008
                        Oxygen can be especialy under pressure, the toxic affects can be felt depending on personal tolerence at 30fsw if your breathing pure O2. Otherwise I've found pure oxygen underpressure like in a chamber to be a great cure for the "Irish Flu"

                        > It's interesting how strong what is actually a cultural
                        > illusion
                        > actually is, is it not? Intrinsically, there's no
                        > reason that one
                        > can't eat dog, or cat, or monkey, or chicken embryos at
                        > any stage of
                        > development, yet the Westerner shudders at the thought.
                        > Since the SE
                        > Asian will happily eat balut, or something that's still
                        > thrashing, yet
                        > 'we' won't is evidence there is little
                        > objective about the 'distaste'.
                        >
                        > There again, there are some foods we've trained
                        > ourselves to eat. If a
                        > plant as toxic as the Brussel's Sprout was found today,
                        > they'd not be
                        > able to sell it as food. Same with water cress, or the
                        > swede
                        > (rutabaga), or the pepper... The reason children often
                        > 'don't like'
                        > Sprouts is that their body recognises that it's
                        > something that is
                        > toxic, and reacts.
                        >
                        > Having said that, oxygen is technically 'toxic' to
                        > carbon based life forms....
                        >
                        > On Fri, Oct 10, 2008 at 3:14 AM, sean tremblay
                        > <bethjams9@...> wrote:
                        > > You Know Gwyn I have traveled SE Asia and sampled most
                        > everything with an
                        > > open mind and an eagerness to experience my
                        > surroundings but sometimes I
                        > > found I just had to exept the fact that I was foreign
                        > and that was OK to
                        > > pass a few things up without judgment. Like monkey,
                        > fertilized chicken egg,
                        > > and a few other things I found the locals were cool
                        > with that.
                        > > Exception being when the host has really broke the
                        > bank to feed you at that
                        > > point I'd choke anything down.
                        > > (It has not come up yet, but I'd pass on dog, Dogs
                        > are buddies not food, I
                        > > never had a cow buddy)
                      • Gwyn Plaine
                        Message 11 of 24 , Oct 10, 2008
                          My weapon of choice for that particular illness is something with a
                          lot of MSG and ibuprofen...