RE: [Meditation Society of America] Re: meditation

  • Aideen McKenna
    Message 1 of 34 , Oct 7, 2008

      I’ve done just that – went meatless for over a week.  I’ve done it a few times. I probably won’t try it again – I’m getting too old to mess with my innards.  My digestive system is not happy at all when I go vegetarian.  Maybe it’s because I come from a long, long line of Celts who probably ate lots of mutton & potatoes.  Nowadays, I eat a more plant-based diet than I used to, but I doubt if I’ll ever be a vegetarian – it simply does not suit my body.  And it does not matter.  IMHO, humans have the built-in ability to get in touch with the Holy Spirit within, or they can realize their Buddha-nature, use any expression you like – we can ALL meditate.  It’s not a contest, or an opportunity for one-upmanship – & it doesn’t require some kind of tricky bit of arcane knowledge.

      I’ve never noticed that meat-eaters lose their tempers more easily than vegetarians do.  Adolf Hitler lost his temper a lot, I understand.  (But perhaps he was even crankier before he swore off meat - he didn’t digest it well.)  The Dalai Lama nearly died when he tried to do without meat.  We aren’t all the same.

      The religions I’m familiar with don’t advise a vegetarian diet.

      Just do what suits you & try not to “should”, because nobody likes to be should upon.  Smile at your good self in the mirror & love who you are.

      Aideen

      From: Gwyn Plaine <gplaine@gmail. com>
      To: meditationsocietyof america@yahoogro ups.com
      Date: Tuesday, 7 October, 2008, 4:52 PM

      Jolly good... but it's more your opinion than actual observation. And simply because the Buddha chose to do something doesn't make it 'correct' for anyone but him, and he said as much. If you, personally, can't meditate on a diet that contains animal protein, then that's fine. Go to it. The issue for me is the 'one size fits all' mentality. If one size DID fit all, then the Hindu Pantheon would be a lot simpler, the teachings of the Buddha would be about 5 sheets of legal paper single spaced, with all other religious documents being of that magnitude.

      However, it's your view and you're welcome to it. I've met any number of vegetarians who are complete drama queens, and who fly off the handle if you're wearing leather. To me, each to his own... No one seems to address that Tibetans generally eat vast amounts of meat, yet founded one of the most populus sects of meditative/contempl ative religions on the planet, with only a couple of wars to their name post Buddhist era and, by and large, a terminally sunny good nature, although there must be miserable ones.

      The question was can one meditate on an omnivorous diet. The short answer is 'yes' and the long one is 'yes, you can'... but the necessity is adiaphora, something you can observe or not without impacting the core teachings, and smacks of the whole hair shirt thing to me. It's like head shaving or prostrations. Great if you actually want/need the theatre, but not broadly necessary to achieving what you're aiming for.

      So, objectively, it's down to the needs of the individual, rather than an overarching requirement.

      Checked by AVG.

      Checked by AVG.

    • swarmeditation
      Message 34 of 34 , Feb 1, 2011
        I AM SPIRITUAL MASTER FROM INDIA I TEACH MEDITATION FOR SELF REALISATION
        ANY ONE INTERESTED PLEASE CONTACT ME I WILL GUIDE PROPERLY THANKS