Was Moses high on Mount Sinai?

    Message 1 of 2 , Oct 1, 2008
      Study suggests Israelites may have eaten
      hallucinogens, but scholars scoff
      MSNBC staff and news service reports
      updated 2:48 p.m. ET, Thurs., June. 12, 2008
      JERUSALEM - When Moses brought the Ten
      Commandments down from Mount Sinai, he may
      have been high on a hallucinogenic plant,
      according to a new study by an Israeli psychology
      professor.
      Writing in the British philosophy journal Time
      and Mind, Benny Shanon of Jerusalem's Hebrew
      University said two plants in the Sinai desert
      contain the same psychoactive molecules as
      those found in plants from which the powerful
      Amazonian hallucinogenic brew ayahuasca is prepared.
      The thunder, lightning and blaring of a trumpet
      which the Book of Exodus says emanated from Mount
      Sinai could just have been the imaginings of a
      people in an "altered state of awareness," Shanon
      hypothesized.
      "In advanced forms of ayahuasca inebriation,
      the seeing of light is accompanied by profound
      religious and spiritual feelings," Shanon wrote.
      "On such occasions, one often feels that in seeing
      the light, one is encountering the ground of all
      Being ... many identify this power as God."
      Shanon wrote that he was very familiar with the
      affects of the ayahuasca plant, having "partaken
      of the ... brew about 160 times in various
      locales and contexts."
      He said one of the psychoactive plants, harmal,
      found in the Sinai and elsewhere in the Middle
      East, has long been regarded by Jews in the region
      as having magical and curative powers.
      Shanon acknowledged that he had "no direct proof
      of this interpretation" and said such proof cannot
      be expected.
      Biblical scholars scoffed at Shanon's suggestion.
      Orthodox rabbi Yuval Sherlow told Israel Radio:
      "The Bible is trying to convey a very profound
      event. We have to fear not for the fate of the
      biblical Moses, but for the fate of science."

      FAIR USE NOTICE
      This site contains copyrighted material the
      use of which has not always been specifically
      authorized by the copyright owner. We are
      making such material available in our efforts
      to advance understanding of environmental,
      scientific, spiritual, and social justice issues,
      etc. We believe this constitutes a 'fair use'
      for in section 107 of the US Copyright Law.
      the material on this site is distributed
      without profit to those who have expressed a
      prior interest in receiving the included information
      for research and educational purposes. For more
      information go to:
      http://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/17/107.shtml.
      site for purposes of your own that go beyond 'fair use',
      you must obtain permission from the copyright owner
    • sean tremblay
      Message 2 of 2 , Oct 1, 2008
        It's an interesting side note; but it makes no difference to me, the message is the same regardless of the medium. beside we do know that certain chemicals do produce results we also know the opposite to be true.