Zen and the Art of Knifemaking

    Message 1 of 27 , Aug 11, 2008
      In the photo section, in the folder "Zen
      and the Art of Knifemaking", you will
      find a new knife that features Mammoth
      tooth handles. As I was witnessing the
      assembly of this knife taking place,
      there was a unique feeling of an ancient
      connection present. The obviousness of
      handling a 30,000 year old object and
      being extra careful to not mess it up
      also brought about a special awareness
      that is hard to label, but can perhaps be
      represented by saying that the usual "just
      witnessing and letting flow whatever may flow"
      attitude had an extra effortless effort
      energy added to it. I just saw an episode
      of "American Dad" last night where the Dad
      had souped up his car so he could drag
      race with it (to impress his wife), and at one
      point he hit a switch that ignited a nitro burst
      that made the car blast off extra quickly.
      And that's sort of how I felt during this
      particular knife making session. It really
      seemed to touch the semi-eternal nature of
      Mother Earth. I can't wait to see what using
      meteorite will feel like!
      The pics are # 45 and 46. And to see many
      more Zen and the Art of Knifemaking blades:
      http://www.bobroseknives.com
      Message 2 of 27 , Sep 25, 2009
        Once again I'll be displaying my knives,
        and like what seems like just very few knife
        makers do, talking about meditation. The show
        is in Easton PA and will be held Sat and
        Sun from 9 to 5. I expect to only be there
        for Sat as there is an Eagles game Sunday and
        I expect to be back home for it. After all,
        I do try not to miss religious events, and
        sometimes there are only 16 of them a year.

        After the show we'll probably be going out to dinner
        with several friends, so if you'll be in the area
        please stop in and say "High!" and maybe join the
        probably somewhat transcendental fun.

        PS: You can see the knives at:
        http://www.bobroseknives.com
        Message 3 of 27 , Sep 26, 2009

          > Once again I'll be displaying my knives,
          > and like what seems like just very few knife
          > makers do, talking about meditation. The show
          > is in Easton PA and will be held Sat and
          > Sun from 9 to 5. I expect to only be there
          > for Sat as there is an Eagles game Sunday and
          > I expect to be back home for it. After all,
          > I do try not to miss religious events, and
          > sometimes there are only 16 of them a year.
          >
          > After the show we'll probably be going out to dinner
          > with several friends, so if you'll be in the area
          > please stop in and say "High!" and maybe join the
          > probably somewhat transcendental fun.
          >
          > Peace and blessings,
          > Bob
          > PS: You can see the knives at:
          > http://www.bobroseknives.com

          Well, we just got back from the show and it
          was very pleasant, fun and interesting. Nice
          people, good conversation, lots of amazing
          knives by some of the most talented makers
          in the world. As is available in every moment,
          lots of new in-sights and out-sights. I also
          was pretty surprised to find right around the
          corner quite a coincidence. There was the Belyea
          Electric Supply Company, and just as Papajeff
          deals with Transformation, they specialize
          in Transformers. Yes, this incarnation is always
          at least semi-interesting!
          Peace and blesings,
          Message 4 of 27 , Nov 20, 2009
            The 2 latest knives that have appeared have
            very ancient handle materials. One is from
            mammoth tooth and is between 15,000 and
            30,000 years old. The other is fossil coral
            and is between 1.8 million and 230 million
            years old.
            As I worked with them,their antiquity radiated as
            a sensation beyond just their appearance. Just as
            when you enter a church or are at a holy place,
            or in the company of a holy being, saint or
            newborn, there was a feeling that was far from
            the same old same old. I felt a connection to the
            Earth and a unity with all life that has been and
            is and will be her life's work. Humility and reverence
            are the closest adjectives to describe the mood
            that flew through, and still remains. And now the
            beauty that for some reason was hidden within their
            environments is now visible and to me is a
            demonstration of the gifts of love from a sentient
            universe that are available within and without.
            I consider it a blessing to be able to spend moments
            in the company of such simple yet so fantastic
            creations.
            PS: I am posting pictures of them in the Photo section
            in the Zen and the Art of Knifemaking album.
            Message 5 of 27 , Dec 9, 2011
              This weekend I'll be displaying my knives
              http://www.bobroseknives.com
              at the Harrisburg PA Gun Show.
              If you feel like sharing meditation concepts,
              methods and experiences, I'll be glad to
              spend time with you. This show is really unique
              even for weapon-addicts. It's the only place I
              know of where they not only sell weapons and
              ammo, but where you can also buy and drink beer.
              Talk about non-conduscive to meditation venues!
              But in reality, it's a perfect place to put into
              practice your non-distractability, keeping
              calm in all situations, and awareness to the test.
              So stop by and say hello. These days, it's actually
              a safer environment than some college campuses, and
              we may even find it to be a good opportunity to
              evolve in consciousness.

              Visitor Information
              LOCATION
              The show will be held in the Pennsylvania Farm Show Complex & Expo Center, North Cameron and Maclay Streets, Harrisburg, PA.

              DIRECTIONS

              TRAVELING WEST ON THE PENNSYLVANIA TURNPIKE:
              Take Exit 247. Travel north on PA-283, which merges with I-83. Follow I-83 North and merge with I-81 South. Take Exit 67A for Cameron Street off I-81. Follow signs to Spectator or Exhibitor Parking.

              TRAVELING EAST ON PENNSYLVANIA TURNPIKE:
              Take Exit 236. Travel north on Route 15 to 581 West. Travel west on 581 and merge onto I-81 North. Follow I-81 North across the Susquehanna River, and then take Exit 67 for Cameron Street off I-81. Follow signs to Spectator or Exhibitor Parking.

              FROM THE HARRISBURG INTERNATIONAL AIRPORT:
              Head north on 441 to 283 North. Travel north on PA-283, which merges with I-83. Follow I-83 North and merge with I-81 South. Take Exit 67A for Cameron Street off I-81. Follow signs to Spectator or Exhibitor Parking.

              FROM THE WEST SHORE/CARLISLE:
              Take I-81 North to Exit 67A for Cameron Street. Follow signs to Spectator or Exhibitor Parking.

              FROM DOWNTOWN HARRISBURG:
              Take Second Street north to the 2100 block and turn right onto Maclay Street. Follow Maclay Street east across the railroad bridge to the traffic light at the Farm Show Building. Turn left onto Cameron Street and travel north. Follow signs to Spectator or Exhibitor Parking.

              FROM THE NORTH:
              Take 11/15 South following the Susquehanna River to I-81. Follow I-81 North across the river and take Exit 67A for Cameron Street. Follow signs to Spectator or Exhibitor Parking.

              FROM THE UPPER DAUPHIN AREA:
              Take Route 147 South or Route 225 South to Route 322 (River Relief Route). Route 322 becomes Cameron Street after crossing over I-81. Follow signs to Spectator or Exhibitor Parking.

              FROM HERSHEY:
              Take Route 322 West to I-83 North and merge with I-81 South. Take Exit 67A for Cameron Street. Follow signs to Spectator or Exhibitor Parking.

              FROM LANCASTER:
              Take 283 North towards Harrisburg to I-83 North and merge with I-81 South. Take Exit 67A for Cameron Street. Follow signs to Spectator or Exhibitor Parking.

              FROM YORK:
              Take I-83 North across the Susquehanna River. Follow I-83 North and merge with I-81 South. Take Exit 67A for Cameron Street. Follow signs to Spectator or Exhibitor Parking.

              FROM LEBANON:
              Take I-81 South towards Harrisburg. Take Exit 67A for Cameron Street. Follow signs to Spectator or Exhibitor Parking.

              FROM PROGRESS AVE EXIT OFF 81N:
              Take Exit 69. Merge right with Progress Avenue Traffic. Turn right onto Elmerton Avenue at traffic light. Follow signs to Spectator or Exhibitor Parking.

              FROM PROGRESS AVE EXIT OFF 81S:
              Take Exit 69. Turn right at traffic light onto Progress Avenue. At second traffic light turn right onto Elmerton Avenue. Follow signs to Spectator or Exhibitor Parking.
              Message 6 of 27 , May 4, 2012
                Once again, I'll be displaying my knives at a gun
                show this weekend. It's at the Philly Convention Center
                in Oaks PA. Here's the URL for info.
                http://www.eaglearms.com/Eaglearmsproductionfullpage.html
                The last show we were at was one of the "highest" ones we've
                attended. We had the pleasure of sharing meditation concepts
                and techniques with several of our members who were there,
                and it was a very nice experiential demo of transcending
                what would normally be a semi-insane environment. Fun too!

                One of the surprises was when we got to interact with a
                great 11 year old kid who's father is one of the real
                masters of martial arts. This guy is so tough he wears
                a kilt to a gun show and nobody would dream of making fun
                of him. And yet he has a wisdom and righteousness that is
                all too rare. Glad to say that his son seems to be going
                right along the same path.

                Anyway, if you're in the area, please stop by and say hello.
                If you'd like to see some of the newest knives I've made,
                and that will be on display, they're at the bottom of the
                web page here: http://www.bobroseknives.com

                Message 7 of 27 , Sep 7, 2012
                  I'll be displaying my knives this Sat and Sun at
                  the gun show at the Harrisburg PA Farm Show Complex and
                  Expo Center 2300 North Cameron Street Harrisburg, PA 17110
                  I've enjoyed meeting and sharing time and experiences
                  with several of our members there in past shows and
                  look forward to that doing this again. Semi-interesting
                  venue - 800 tables of weapons and ammo... and they
                  serve beer!?!?!?
                  Relative to knife-making, I've been using amazing new materials
                  for the handles on my most recent knives and wonder at
                  the beauty of these man-made high-tech products.
                  They're so nice that one may not even notice the
                  hardly expert level my knife skills demonstrate. It's
                  kind of analogous to how having a loving personality can
                  make you attractive even if visually you're no Brad
                  or Angelina. These knives can be seen at the bottom of
                  my knife site at: http://www.bobroseknives.com
                  Anyway, if you do come, please don't wear some other
                  teams shirts than the Eagles. You know that this could
                  become a distraction from sharing meditation concepts
                  and methods as I might go off on rants about football:)
                  Hope to see you soon!
                  Message 8 of 27 , Sep 9, 2012
                    OK, by semi-popular request, here's a brief report of the
                    gun show. One of the most interesting things was that a forum
                    member and a friend of his have started to make knives
                    and seemingly are walking a similar path as I am relative
                    to finding it at times to precede interesting, pleasant, and
                    unusually informative meditative experiences...
                    IE: They report entering a focus of attention so intense and
                    yet so effortless that a shift in consciousness takes place
                    that they sort of defined as a transcendent level of non-dual
                    attention where one's individual identity melts away and
                    a new awakening reveals an infinite unification with what
                    Gurdjieff labeled "All and Everything". In any event, they
                    still have all their fingers and other body parts, and that
                    itself is a great result of clear meditative focus while
                    using very powerful and potentially dangerous power tools.
                    BTW, as a bonus, their knives looked very good and
                    should prove highly functional. And just like me they report
                    being surprised at having nice knives in their hands appear
                    almost magically when the sparks, smoke, smells, sounds and
                    heat subside.
                    Anyway, thanks to those who came out and shared their
                    wisdom and humor. Much appreciated!

                    Message 9 of 27 , Dec 14, 2012
                      Once again, I'll be displaying my knives and sharing
                      meditation concepts and techniques (the usual combination
                      for a meditation teacher:) at the Philly Gun Show in Oaks PA
                      this weekend, Friday Dec 14 from 4PM to 8PM, Sat 9AM to 5PM, and
                      Sun 9AM to 4PM. Here's where you can get info and a discount coupon:
                      http://www.eaglearmsgunshows.com/oaks-gun-show-philadelphia-expo-center.html
                      There will be about 1,000 tables full of weapons, ammo, and just
                      about anything you can think of that brings about violence and
                      destruction, as well as thousands of people who are anxious to buy
                      these items. And there will also be my table where consciousness
                      evolving methods will be shared (as well as complaining about the
                      Eagles). Many of the knives I have made will be available and with
                      the holidays coming, I expect lots of activity that interrupts our
                      "high" conversations. But this is all part of what life is about...
                      and maintaining a meditative mode in active as well as in passive situations is what a meditative practice should include. And when
                      someone approaches you carrying a machine gun, and has ammo around
                      their neck, to discus how best to use a certain knife, or whatever else is making their mind chatter, it's certainly an excellent opportunity to witness your own chatter, and to apply Self
                      control and maintain your serenity, or to see just when and
                      how you lose it (which might be a more valuable benefit).
                      So it is actually an excellent environment for learning about and experiencing meditation in real life. Hope to see you there!
                      BTW, here's where you can see my knives:
                      http://www.bobroseknives.com
                      Message 10 of 27 , Dec 16, 2012
                        Well, this weekend I spent displaying knives I've made at
                        the Philly Gun Show. 1200 tables full of weapons and their
                        accoutrements and thousands of people there to buy them.
                        Much discussion about the duality of "guns don't kill people,
                        people do" and "if there weren't guns available, there wouldn't
                        be so many killings" Of course there were local TV crews there filming the goings on and promising to be "fair" in their
                        reporting as they focused the cameras on assault rifles and
                        other semi and full automatic weapons. This will be just a
                        small part of the ongoing and now top news discussion.

                        In between actually selling some knives, I spent time
                        discussing meditation with people and even conducted some
                        mindfulness exercises semi-maintaining a Witnessing
                        perspective on whatever was flowing by moment to (what seemed
                        like) another moment. And as is common when in a wordless
                        meditative mode, words appear that (right or wrong) point to
                        "an answer", and here are some that flowed by...

                        I'm guessing that just as there are hundreds of millions of
                        words available to us, and they don't seem to solve anything,
                        there being hundreds of millions of guns and rifles right now
                        in the USA, and they aren't solving anything either, maybe
                        just being conscious is the only real "problem solver".
                        As Gurdjieff put it...
                        "Do not be affected by externals. In themselves they are
                        harmless; it is we who allow ourselves to be hurt by them."

                        (the above is a para-phrase of a post on the Gene's Gulag
                        forum)