Your favorite meditation research or facts??

  • thom_guen
    Message 1 of 6 , Jul 26, 2008
      Hi everyone! I'm currently writing a research paper on meditation,
      it's past, present and benefits. I thought it would be fun to ask
      about everyone's favorite research, facts or aspect of meditation.
      I've been reading article after article and browsing some books, but
      just recently stumbled upon meditation myself so I thought I'd ask the
      experts! :)
      Message 2 of 6 , Jul 27, 2008
        "thom_guen" <thomas.guenther@...> wrote:

        > Hi everyone! I'm currently writing a research paper on meditation,
        > it's past, present and benefits. I thought it would be fun to ask
        > about everyone's favorite research, facts or aspect of meditation.
        > I've been reading article after article and browsing some books, but
        > just recently stumbled upon meditation myself so I thought I'd ask the
        > experts! :)

        Yo Thom,
        To me a very interesting aspect of meditation
        is that so many people think of it as unnatural or
        somewhat wacky, kooky, or some similar adjective
        or cliche. And to me it's amazing that people can
        lead their lives without any meditative practice.
        There are hundreds of studies that "prove" that people
        who meditate experience better cardiac, mental, emotional,
        respiratory, injury healing, coping with stress or pain,
        and dozens of other improved health conditions than is
        found in populations that don't meditate. Just Google
        "meditation health studies" and there you'll see
        a staggering amount of medical and scientific data
        supporting meditation's benefits. But...
        however your research paper goes, I hope you will
        emphasize that just as you can not know what an
        orange tastes like until you actually take a bite
        of one, you must not just read reports about it.
        You must meditate to know the reality
        of its benefits. It's a very natural and wise
        thing to be doing, and living life without meditation
        is actually the wacky approach to living.
        Message 3 of 6 , Jul 28, 2008
          "thom_guen" <thomas.guenther@...> wrote:

          > Hi everyone! I'm currently writing a research paper on meditation,
          > it's past, present and benefits. I thought it would be fun to ask
          > about everyone's favorite research, facts or aspect of meditation.
          > I've been reading article after article and browsing some books, but
          > just recently stumbled upon meditation myself so I thought I'd ask the
          > experts! :)

          More thoughts relative to my "favorite research" :
          Many of the research papers you will
          find were funded by TM and the results indicate that
          TM "works". But they neglect to say that it is not
          necessary to pay TM $3000 or however much for a Mantra
          to say. Any word will work. This has been well
          documented by Dr Herbert Benson in his "Relaxation
          Response" studies by the Harvard Medical School. To
          put it simply, every meditation technique will
          work if it has certain components. More about Dr Benson
          and his work can be found here:
          http://www.relaxationresponse.org/
          The specific Relaxation Response is copied below
          (and it costs $3000 less than TM!!! :)
          Enjoy!

          The Relaxation Response
          1.
          Sit quietly in a comfortable position.
          2.
          Close your eyes.
          3.
          Deeply relax all your muscles,
          beginning at your feet and progressing up to your face.
          Keep them relaxed.
          4.
          Breathe through your nose.
          Become aware of your breathing.
          As you breathe out, say the word, "one"*,
          silently to yourself. For example,
          breathe in ... out, "one",- in .. out, "one", etc.
          Breathe easily and naturally.
          5.
          Continue for 10 to 20 minutes.
          You may open your eyes to check the time, but do not use an alarm.
          When you finish, sit quietly for several minutes,
          at first with your eyes closed and later with your eyes opened.
          Do not stand up for a few minutes.
          6.
          Do not worry about whether you are successful
          in achieving a deep level of relaxation.
          Maintain a passive attitude and permit relaxation to occur at its own
          pace.
          When distracting thoughts occur,
          try to ignore them by not dwelling upon them
          and return to repeating "one."
          With practice, the response should come with little effort.
          Practice the technique once or twice daily,
          but not within two hours after any meal,
          since the digestive processes seem to interfere with
          the elicitation of the Relaxation Response.

          * or any soothing, mellifluous sound, preferably with no meaning.
          or association, to avoid stimulation of unnecessary thoughts.

          FAIR USE NOTICE
          This site contains copyrighted material the
          use of which has not always been specifically
          authorized by the copyright owner. We are
          making such material available in our efforts
          to advance understanding of environmental,
          scientific, spiritual, and social justice issues,
          etc. We believe this constitutes a 'fair use'
          for in section 107 of the US Copyright Law.
          the material on this site is distributed
          without profit to those who have expressed a
          prior interest in receiving the included information
          for research and educational purposes. For more
          information go to:
          http://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/17/107.shtml.
          site for purposes of your own that go beyond 'fair use',
          you must obtain permission from the copyright owner
        • thom_guen
          Message 4 of 6 , Jul 30, 2008
            THANK YOU! I have just recently begun meditating and have been
            interested in trying out different techniques. A large portion of my
            paper will be on the different practices and teqniques, but I've only
            learned a few so far. I did some research on TM meditation and talked
            to some close friends of mine who have been meditating for years. The
            over all impression on TM meditation was that it was a money scam. I'm
            defiantly bringing this up in my paper! thank you SO SO much for your
            response!

            <no_reply@...> wrote:

> [...]
            > authorized by the copyright owner. We are
            > making such material available in our efforts
            > to advance understanding of environmental,
            > political, human rights, economic, democracy,
            > scientific, spiritual, and social justice issues,
            > etc. We believe this constitutes a 'fair use'
            > of any such copyrighted material as provided
            > for in section 107 of the US Copyright Law.
            > In accordance with Title 17 U.S.C. Section 107,
            > the material on this site is distributed
            > without profit to those who have expressed a
            > prior interest in receiving the included information
            > for research and educational purposes. For more
            > information go to:
            > http://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/17/107.shtml.
            > If you wish to use copyrighted material from this
            > site for purposes of your own that go beyond 'fair use',
            > you must obtain permission from the copyright owner

          • ashoke arya
            Message 5 of 6 , Aug 3, 2008
              Hello to all members of the Group,

              I am ashoke arya practising meditation for the past 17 years. I would like to state my experience and seek your opinion or comments. The begining was sudden as I was very much depressed with my destiny. I was taking a stroll at my lawn and thnking about where I went wrong, as I was a successful bizman. When I tired, I came in my bedroom and sat on the bed with closed eyes. After some time when I opened them I saw white smoke type clouds in the room and I was not visible in the mirror on dressing table in front of me.

              But, in 15-20 seconds, I could see two big balls on lights on the palm of my hands which became wide open with surprise. I thought it could be hallucination, but it continued every day. Gradually, some smoke like clouds started emerging from the mirror and making the room cloudy. After some days, the clouds started becoming bright. And, after some months I could see in the mirror or from corner of my eyes that bright objects flying the room and some times some shadows.

              Once my daughter was in comma, and I was out of town. Suddenly it striked in my mind to reach home soon and by flight I came back. She was on medication for the past 3-4 days. But, in the evining, when after meditation went to her and kept my hands on her head and just asked myself why this to me. And, believe me in 3 minutes she became alright and said some electric current moved inside here body.

              Since I was more involved into my biz, I did not took much interest, but in a span of 6-7 years, I had to close down the biz. I became a healer and treated more that 500 patients till now suffering from chronic ailments like asthma, migraine, insomnia, arthritis, any type of pain, ritinitis pigmentoza, and even diabetes and more. Since the root of this energy is my soul, I have named it Theotherapy.

              I am doing research on it now and seek more information about, if someone knows.

              Thanks and regards,

              Ashoke Arya

> [...]

              or association, to avoid stimulation of unnecessary thoughts.

              FAIR USE NOTICE
              This site contains copyrighted material the
              use of which has not always been specifically
              authorized by the copyright owner. We are
              making such material available in our efforts
              to advance understanding of environmental,
              scientific, spiritual, and social justice issues,
              etc. We believe this constitutes a 'fair use'
              for in section 107 of the US Copyright Law.
              the material on this site is distributed
              without profit to those who have expressed a
              prior interest in receiving the included information
              for research and educational purposes. For more
              information go to:
              http://www.law. cornell.edu/ uscode/17/ 107.shtml.
              site for purposes of your own that go beyond 'fair use',
              you must obtain permission from the copyright owner

              Download prohibited? No problem. CHAT from any browser, without download.
            • Sanjiv Sahay
              Message 6 of 6 , Aug 4, 2008
                Ashoke,

                You should check out literature on Kundalini Awakening symptoms. You may have had an awakening. It sometimes gives healing powers (usually temporarily).
                Do a Google search on Kundalini Awakening and you will find a lot of stuff which may help explain this. There are books also on this.
                Regards,

                Sanjiv