Swami Sivananda on Prayer
- Prayer is an effort of man to commune with
the Lord. When you pray, you are in tune
with the Infinity. You link yourself with
Hiranyagarbha - the inexhaustible cosmic
storehouse of power - and thus draw power,
energy, light and strength. Prayer is a
mighty spiritual force.
· Prayer is depending on God for help in
distress. Prayer is expecting God to decide
what is best for you when you are in a dilemma.
· Prayer represents a mystic state when the
individual consciousness is absorbed in God.
Prayer is uplifting the soul to God. It is an
act of love and adoration to Him.
· There is nothing so purifying as prayer.
Prayer lightens the heart and fills the mind
with peace, strength and purity. Prayer works wonders.
· Prayer elevates, inspires, redeems. It
fills the mind with purity. It brings man
nearer to God. It keeps him in tune with
God, and makes him feel the Divine Consciousness
and his essential, immortal and blissful nature.
Through prayer Divine grace and Divine Light descend.
· Prayer is a spiritual food for the soul.
· Prayer is a master key to open the realm of
· Prayer should come from the innermost recess
of the heart. Then alone it will be heard at once.
· God listens to, and answers all your prayers.
God ever responds to the appeal of His sincere
devotees. Prayer that comes from a sincere, pure
heart is at once heard by the Lord.
· There are no problems that cannot be dissolved
by prayer, no sufferings that cannot be allayed
by prayer, no difficulties that cannot be
surmounted by prayer, and no evil that cannot be
overcome by prayer. Prayer is the miracle by
which God's power flows into human veins.
· Prayer should be lifelong, and your life should
be one long prayer.
· Through prayer empty your heart and God shall
fill it with Consciousness-Delite, and you shall
be all full.
· Attune your heart with the Lord by doing fervent
and sincere prayer daily. Prayer must become
habitual. If you pray regularly, your life will
be gradually changed and moulded.
· Prayer expands the heart. Prayer purifies the
heart. It fills the heart with immense power and
· Prayer fills the mind with purity. It will keep
your mind in tune with the Lord. It will instil
in your heart joy, peace and bliss.
· Prayer generates spiritual currents, and produces
tranquility of the mind. There is nothing so
purifying as prayer.
· Essentially, prayer should be selfless as
far as possible. We should first pray for the
good of others, for the welfare and peace of
the world and for our own spiritual evolution;
we should pray for eradication of our evil qualities,
for wisdom and knowledge, for goodness and
saintliness. "Asato maa sad-gamaya; Tamaso maa
jyotir-gamaya; mrityormaa amritam gamaya. Lead me
from unreal to the Real; from darkness to the Light;
from mortality to Immortality." This is the best
prayer - the prayer for the Light, for the Truth,
· Prayer cleanses the dross and steadies the mind.
It washes off the impurities of the heart with the
pure waters of spiritual emotions, corrects the
defects and shortcomings, and prepares the mind
for the reception of Self-knowledge.
· Pray to God fervently: "O Lord! Make my will
strong to resist all temptations, to control my
indriyas (senses) and my lower nature. Enthrone
Thyself in my heart. Make me fit to dwell in
Thee for ever."
· Prayer grinds the flint of egoism, breaks the
walls of pride, and consumes the fire of selfishness.
· By prayer you dwell in the Lord who is all
happiness and the sweetest of sweets. It opens
the eye of intuition. Wherever you turn this 'eye',
you see nothing but God - the transcendent Divinity.
· Pray fervently for the descent of the Divine Light.
· God wants your heart when you pray. Lay bare
your heart. Melt the mind in the agni (fire) of
divine love. Crave for His mercy.
· Do not pray for the attainment of some selfish
ends or mundane gains. It should be done without
expectation of fruit. Pray for His mercy. Pray for
light, purity and guidance.
· Repetition of stotras or hymns will elevate your
mind, inspire you.
· Common mass-prayer is very inspiring. A huge
spiritual current is generated during mass-prayer.
In times of danger and calamity, mass prayer works wonders.
· Prayer for the departed souls bestows peace on them.