RE: [Meditation Society of America] Re: Back pain & zafu construction

  • Aideen McKenna
    Message 1 of 7 , Jun 9, 2008

      I’m grateful for this exchange regarding arthritic pain & sitting meditation.  I have arthritis; some days or weeks I can sit in comfort on a zafu (buckwheat-filled), sometimes (often) not.  After some time of beating myself up about how I sat to meditate, I let it go, except for a small shred of guilt.  The ghost of my grandmother still tells me to “offer it up for the souls in Purgatory” – “it” being suffering of any kind.  Some of us were taught (although not in so many words), that if it isn’t downright unpleasant, it’s not worth anything.  Now every morning I sit pretty well motionless but comfortable on my couch with my outstretched legs on a hassock.  If there’s a Purgatory realm, its inhabitants are receiving the metta I’m sending, & Grandma’s benefiting.

      Message 2 of 7 , Aug 2, 2008
        have you tried the path of least resistance ?

        meditating on your back with palms facing up
        I have found my best healing and traveling
        in this position.

        peace