Re: Bhagavad Gita 12

    Message 1 of 28 , Jun 7, 2008
      "westwindwood2003" <westwindwood2003@...> wrote:

      > What happens to a yogi? These are active
      > and passive. The following is passive
      > because it just happens without effort.
      >
      > 51. When understanding from your practice
      > comes, intellectual delusion is bypassed.
      > You are indifferent to what others said in the
      > past and what you shall hear in the future.
      >
      > This just happens automatically because of
      > the immediate (in this very instant)
      > Guidance. That Guidance is all there is; the
      > intellect is inactive.
      >
      > 52. Your intellect analyzes what others say
      > and you can be confused by the many
      > options. The yogi; however, can stand
      > immovable in the Self with steady
      > understanding of the course of action
      > needed.

      Yo Westwindwood,
      This and the previous Gita posting are,
      as usual, very great pointings. I like
      the term Guidance (with the capital G) as
      we often see "Grace" used similarly, but
      with the term Guidance we also get the
      concept that a definitive understanding
      takes place that transcends the mind's usual
      "it could be like this, or it could be
      like that" tendency. This allows the "Thy
      will be done" reality to take us over (and
      inner) and we then automatically let events
      of our life proceed as they may without
      any inner chattering that commonly brings
      us negativity (takes our peace away). And
      of course, we all are "Yogi's" in spite of
      whatever masks cover this true identity.
      So these wise teaching apply to all of us.
      Thanks again for sharing.
    • westwindwood2003
      Message 2 of 28 , Jun 7, 2008
        I cannot take very much credit. The book I am using gives a word for
        word translation from the Sanskrit. The word order takes a little
        getting used to and sometimes the English words that are chosen by the
        author have several definitions and the author sometime uses the more
        obscure definition, so I find I have to use a dictionary some to get
        the real meaning. What I then do is try and relate that word for word
        English translation to my own meditation experience so that I can
        express that translation in a way that is more understandable I hope.
        What I find wonderful about the Gita is here are these words that in
        a condensed kind of way outlines the spiritual experience, like
        lecture notes that a teacher can expand on. Since I meditate myself,
        I feel that I can do the subject some justice, but I sometimes wonder
        if there might be better words than the ones I use.
        --- In meditationsocietyofamerica@yahoogroups.com, medit8ionsociety .

        > Yo Westwindwood,
        > This and the previous Gita posting are,
        > as usual, very great pointings. I like
        > the term Guidance (with the capital G) as
        > we often see "Grace" used similarly, but
        > with the term Guidance we also get the
        > concept that a definitive understanding
        > takes place that transcends the mind's usual
        > "it could be like this, or it could be
        > like that" tendency. This allows the "Thy
        > will be done" reality to take us over (and
        > inner) and we then automatically let events
        > of our life proceed as they may without
        > any inner chattering that commonly brings
        > us negativity (takes our peace away). And
        > of course, we all are "Yogi's" in spite of
        > whatever masks cover this true identity.
        > So these wise teaching apply to all of us.
        > Thanks again for sharing.
        > Peace and blessings,
        > Bob

      • suman sk
        Message 3 of 28 , Jun 8, 2008

          Thanks for continued posting on the wisdom of Geeta.

          I read it everyday and find a wonderful insight into the true learning.

          It is a science in itself but only for the beleiver.

          Om and God bless all of us

          Surendra K

          I cannot take very much credit. The book I am using gives a word for
          word translation from the Sanskrit. The word order takes a little
          getting used to and sometimes the English words that are chosen by the
          author have several definitions and the author sometime uses the more
          obscure definition, so I find I have to use a dictionary some to get
          the real meaning. What I then do is try and relate that word for word
          English translation to my own meditation experience so that I can
          express that translation in a way that is more understandable I hope.
          What I find wonderful about the Gita is here are these words that in
          a condensed kind of way outlines the spiritual experience, like
          lecture notes that a teacher can expand on. Since I meditate myself,
          I feel that I can do the subject some justice, but I sometimes wonder
          if there might be better words than the ones I use.
          --- In meditationsocietyof america@yahoogro ups.com, medit8ionsociety .

          > Yo Westwindwood,
          > This and the previous Gita posting are,
          > as usual, very great pointings. I like
          > the term Guidance (with the capital G) as
          > we often see "Grace" used similarly, but
          > with the term Guidance we also get the
          > concept that a definitive understanding
          > takes place that transcends the mind's usual
          > "it could be like this, or it could be
          > like that" tendency. This allows the "Thy
          > will be done" reality to take us over (and
          > inner) and we then automatically let events
          > of our life proceed as they may without
          > any inner chattering that commonly brings
          > us negativity (takes our peace away). And
          > of course, we all are "Yogi's" in spite of
          > whatever masks cover this true identity.
          > So these wise teaching apply to all of us.
          > Thanks again for sharing.
          > Peace and blessings,
          > Bob

        • WestWindWood
          Message 4 of 28 , Jun 9, 2008
            54. Arjuna asks a question about the
            qualities (steady of disposition,
            consistent in vision) of a sage, (who
            has merged with the Creator, the
            nature of that which underlies all
            existence).

            The sage, merged into the Creator
            beyond the normal conscious state,
            we could say in deep meditation,
            experiences the qualities of the
            Creator.  The sage has, over may
            years of evolution, taken these
            experiences and incorporated in him,
            through proper action and behavior,
            the qualities of the Creator so that
            the sage became Self.

            This seems like A LOT OF HARD
            WORK! But in reality, it is just a
            giving up of all those qualities of
            personality that are not of the divine
            nature.  It seems an agony at the
            time, but is nothing looking back,
            and why was that I clung to so
            important anyway, but it was.

            55. Sri Bhagavan (Krishna) said:
            All desires of the mind (of ones very
            heart) are cast off, Oh Partha, by
            becoming the Self by working with
            the Self in steady wisdom.

            Contact with the Self in meditation
            brings a steady wisdom, Oh what to
            do about my present situation and
            how am I going to work this out,
            God's will be done, and so it goes
            with an answer coming to me so that
            I become more the Self by practicing
            proper behavior and letting the Self
            emerge in place of the misguided
            personality that I have begun with.

            56. The mind is unshaken in
            adversity, and in pleasure, there is no
            latching onto and wanting to retain.
            Free from attachment, fear and anger
            is the sage poised in wisdom.

            The wisdom found in meditation
            allows the sage these characteristics.
            This is just something that happens,
            a symptom, not something that the
            sage tries to grasp and become, it just
            happens because one meditates.

          • aideenmck
            Message 5 of 28 , Jun 11, 2008
              Belated thanks for these posts helping us to understand the Bhagavad
              Gita, about which I was almost totally ignorant. Recently, I've been
              reading Ram Dass's "Paths to God: Living the Bhagavad Gita" - it,
              too, is a revelation. Also reading Rumi's poetry, the Coleman Barks
              translation. And meeting Theravadin monks, listening to their dharma
              talks. Sometimes I feel as if I'm perceiving everything for the
              first time. (Where have I been?)
              Aideen

              --- In meditationsocietyofamerica@yahoogroups.com, WestWindWood

              Message 6 of 28 , Jun 14, 2008