Bhagavad Gita 12

  • westwindwood2003
    Message 1 of 28 , Jun 6, 2008
      What happens to a yogi? These are active
      and passive. The following is passive
      because it just happens without effort.

      51. When understanding from your practice
      comes, intellectual delusion is bypassed.
      You are indifferent to what others said in the
      past and what you shall hear in the future.

      This just happens automatically because of
      the immediate (in this very instant)
      Guidance. That Guidance is all there is; the
      intellect is inactive.

      52. Your intellect analyzes what others say
      and you can be confused by the many
      options. The yogi; however, can stand
      immovable in the Self with steady
      understanding of the course of action
      needed.
      Message 2 of 28 , Jun 7, 2008
        "westwindwood2003" <westwindwood2003@...> wrote:

        > What happens to a yogi? These are active
        > and passive. The following is passive
        > because it just happens without effort.
        >
        > 51. When understanding from your practice
        > comes, intellectual delusion is bypassed.
        > You are indifferent to what others said in the
        > past and what you shall hear in the future.
        >
        > This just happens automatically because of
        > the immediate (in this very instant)
        > Guidance. That Guidance is all there is; the
        > intellect is inactive.
        >
        > 52. Your intellect analyzes what others say
        > and you can be confused by the many
        > options. The yogi; however, can stand
        > immovable in the Self with steady
        > understanding of the course of action
        > needed.

        Yo Westwindwood,
        This and the previous Gita posting are,
        as usual, very great pointings. I like
        the term Guidance (with the capital G) as
        we often see "Grace" used similarly, but
        with the term Guidance we also get the
        concept that a definitive understanding
        takes place that transcends the mind's usual
        "it could be like this, or it could be
        like that" tendency. This allows the "Thy
        will be done" reality to take us over (and
        inner) and we then automatically let events
        of our life proceed as they may without
        any inner chattering that commonly brings
        us negativity (takes our peace away). And
        of course, we all are "Yogi's" in spite of
        whatever masks cover this true identity.
        So these wise teaching apply to all of us.
        Thanks again for sharing.
      • westwindwood2003
        Message 3 of 28 , Jun 7, 2008
          I cannot take very much credit. The book I am using gives a word for
          word translation from the Sanskrit. The word order takes a little
          getting used to and sometimes the English words that are chosen by the
          author have several definitions and the author sometime uses the more
          obscure definition, so I find I have to use a dictionary some to get
          the real meaning. What I then do is try and relate that word for word
          English translation to my own meditation experience so that I can
          express that translation in a way that is more understandable I hope.
          What I find wonderful about the Gita is here are these words that in
          a condensed kind of way outlines the spiritual experience, like
          lecture notes that a teacher can expand on. Since I meditate myself,
          I feel that I can do the subject some justice, but I sometimes wonder
          if there might be better words than the ones I use.
          --- In meditationsocietyofamerica@yahoogroups.com, medit8ionsociety .

          > Yo Westwindwood,
          > This and the previous Gita posting are,
          > as usual, very great pointings. I like
          > the term Guidance (with the capital G) as
          > we often see "Grace" used similarly, but
          > with the term Guidance we also get the
          > concept that a definitive understanding
          > takes place that transcends the mind's usual
          > "it could be like this, or it could be
          > like that" tendency. This allows the "Thy
          > will be done" reality to take us over (and
          > inner) and we then automatically let events
          > of our life proceed as they may without
          > any inner chattering that commonly brings
          > us negativity (takes our peace away). And
          > of course, we all are "Yogi's" in spite of
          > whatever masks cover this true identity.
          > So these wise teaching apply to all of us.
          > Thanks again for sharing.
          > Peace and blessings,
          > Bob

        • suman sk
          Message 4 of 28 , Jun 8, 2008

            Thanks for continued posting on the wisdom of Geeta.

            I read it everyday and find a wonderful insight into the true learning.

            It is a science in itself but only for the beleiver.

            Om and God bless all of us

            Surendra K

            I cannot take very much credit. The book I am using gives a word for
            word translation from the Sanskrit. The word order takes a little
            getting used to and sometimes the English words that are chosen by the
            author have several definitions and the author sometime uses the more
            obscure definition, so I find I have to use a dictionary some to get
            the real meaning. What I then do is try and relate that word for word
            English translation to my own meditation experience so that I can
            express that translation in a way that is more understandable I hope.
            What I find wonderful about the Gita is here are these words that in
            a condensed kind of way outlines the spiritual experience, like
            lecture notes that a teacher can expand on. Since I meditate myself,
            I feel that I can do the subject some justice, but I sometimes wonder
            if there might be better words than the ones I use.
            --- In meditationsocietyof america@yahoogro ups.com, medit8ionsociety .

            > Yo Westwindwood,
            > This and the previous Gita posting are,
            > as usual, very great pointings. I like
            > the term Guidance (with the capital G) as
            > we often see "Grace" used similarly, but
            > with the term Guidance we also get the
            > concept that a definitive understanding
            > takes place that transcends the mind's usual
            > "it could be like this, or it could be
            > like that" tendency. This allows the "Thy
            > will be done" reality to take us over (and
            > inner) and we then automatically let events
            > of our life proceed as they may without
            > any inner chattering that commonly brings
            > us negativity (takes our peace away). And
            > of course, we all are "Yogi's" in spite of
            > whatever masks cover this true identity.
            > So these wise teaching apply to all of us.
            > Thanks again for sharing.
            > Peace and blessings,
            > Bob

          • WestWindWood
            Message 5 of 28 , Jun 9, 2008
              54. Arjuna asks a question about the
              qualities (steady of disposition,
              consistent in vision) of a sage, (who
              has merged with the Creator, the
              nature of that which underlies all
              existence).

              The sage, merged into the Creator
              beyond the normal conscious state,
              we could say in deep meditation,
              experiences the qualities of the
              Creator.  The sage has, over may
              years of evolution, taken these
              experiences and incorporated in him,
              through proper action and behavior,
              the qualities of the Creator so that
              the sage became Self.

              This seems like A LOT OF HARD
              WORK! But in reality, it is just a
              giving up of all those qualities of
              personality that are not of the divine
              nature.  It seems an agony at the
              time, but is nothing looking back,
              and why was that I clung to so
              important anyway, but it was.

              55. Sri Bhagavan (Krishna) said:
              All desires of the mind (of ones very
              heart) are cast off, Oh Partha, by
              becoming the Self by working with
              the Self in steady wisdom.

              Contact with the Self in meditation
              brings a steady wisdom, Oh what to
              do about my present situation and
              how am I going to work this out,
              God's will be done, and so it goes
              with an answer coming to me so that
              I become more the Self by practicing
              proper behavior and letting the Self
              emerge in place of the misguided
              personality that I have begun with.

              56. The mind is unshaken in
              adversity, and in pleasure, there is no
              latching onto and wanting to retain.
              Free from attachment, fear and anger
              is the sage poised in wisdom.

              The wisdom found in meditation
              allows the sage these characteristics.
              This is just something that happens,
              a symptom, not something that the
              sage tries to grasp and become, it just
              happens because one meditates.

            • aideenmck
              Message 6 of 28 , Jun 11, 2008
                Belated thanks for these posts helping us to understand the Bhagavad
                Gita, about which I was almost totally ignorant. Recently, I've been
                reading Ram Dass's "Paths to God: Living the Bhagavad Gita" - it,
                too, is a revelation. Also reading Rumi's poetry, the Coleman Barks
                translation. And meeting Theravadin monks, listening to their dharma
                talks. Sometimes I feel as if I'm perceiving everything for the
                first time. (Where have I been?)
                Aideen

                --- In meditationsocietyofamerica@yahoogroups.com, WestWindWood

                Message 7 of 28 , Jun 14, 2008