Bhagavad Gita11

  • westwindwood2003
    Message 1 of 28 , Jun 5, 2008
      49. Action not directed by yoga is by far most
      inferior. Oh Dhananjaya, the self-seekers,
      those taking advantage of opportunities without
      regard for the consequences, have a wretched
      existence.

      The unaware person lives their life seeking
      pleasure, trying to get head. Perhaps something
      happens, some calamity or maybe it is just a
      realization that life is not right. There is
      religion to turn to, religious works and teachers.
      Ultimately though, there is the complete giving
      over to God, a total offering up of what one is
      striving for spiritually and seeking guidance in
      deep meditation, a discovery through yoga of
      the path to resolution of it all.

      50. With meditation comes a calmness of mind,
      tranquility. Also, there is wisdom that comes
      showing the actions, the feelings even, that
      needs to be acted upon to grow. There is
      perfection in this life following this path.
      Devote yourself to yoga. Good and evil deeds,
      how do I know which is which? Pursuing
      either should eventually cease. But, it will take
      decades to evolve through it all because it is
      hard to change ones personality.

      Intellectually we have a feeling for what is
      right and wrong, but this is action not directed
      by yoga and is inferior. For instance, I may
      help someone and that seems right to me;
      however, I might be keeping that person from
      discovering the path because they may not
      realize life needs working on. If I do not help
      them when I easily can do so, that might seem
      wrong. The answer to the proper action is
      revealed in meditation.

      51. The wise, those who meditate, let go of the
      desire, lets answers come when no ego
      intervenes, discerns proper action and go
      beyond evil, eventually evolving into the nature
      that frees them from being bound to birthing
      again.
    • westwindwood2003
      Message 2 of 28 , Jun 6, 2008
        What happens to a yogi? These are active
        and passive. The following is passive
        because it just happens without effort.

        51. When understanding from your practice
        comes, intellectual delusion is bypassed.
        You are indifferent to what others said in the
        past and what you shall hear in the future.

        This just happens automatically because of
        the immediate (in this very instant)
        Guidance. That Guidance is all there is; the
        intellect is inactive.

        52. Your intellect analyzes what others say
        and you can be confused by the many
        options. The yogi; however, can stand
        immovable in the Self with steady
        understanding of the course of action
        needed.
        Message 3 of 28 , Jun 7, 2008
          "westwindwood2003" <westwindwood2003@...> wrote:

          > What happens to a yogi? These are active
          > and passive. The following is passive
          > because it just happens without effort.
          >
          > 51. When understanding from your practice
          > comes, intellectual delusion is bypassed.
          > You are indifferent to what others said in the
          > past and what you shall hear in the future.
          >
          > This just happens automatically because of
          > the immediate (in this very instant)
          > Guidance. That Guidance is all there is; the
          > intellect is inactive.
          >
          > 52. Your intellect analyzes what others say
          > and you can be confused by the many
          > options. The yogi; however, can stand
          > immovable in the Self with steady
          > understanding of the course of action
          > needed.

          Yo Westwindwood,
          This and the previous Gita posting are,
          as usual, very great pointings. I like
          the term Guidance (with the capital G) as
          we often see "Grace" used similarly, but
          with the term Guidance we also get the
          concept that a definitive understanding
          takes place that transcends the mind's usual
          "it could be like this, or it could be
          like that" tendency. This allows the "Thy
          will be done" reality to take us over (and
          inner) and we then automatically let events
          of our life proceed as they may without
          any inner chattering that commonly brings
          us negativity (takes our peace away). And
          of course, we all are "Yogi's" in spite of
          whatever masks cover this true identity.
          So these wise teaching apply to all of us.
          Thanks again for sharing.
        • westwindwood2003
          Message 4 of 28 , Jun 7, 2008
            I cannot take very much credit. The book I am using gives a word for
            word translation from the Sanskrit. The word order takes a little
            getting used to and sometimes the English words that are chosen by the
            author have several definitions and the author sometime uses the more
            obscure definition, so I find I have to use a dictionary some to get
            the real meaning. What I then do is try and relate that word for word
            English translation to my own meditation experience so that I can
            express that translation in a way that is more understandable I hope.
            What I find wonderful about the Gita is here are these words that in
            a condensed kind of way outlines the spiritual experience, like
            lecture notes that a teacher can expand on. Since I meditate myself,
            I feel that I can do the subject some justice, but I sometimes wonder
            if there might be better words than the ones I use.
            --- In meditationsocietyofamerica@yahoogroups.com, medit8ionsociety .

            > Yo Westwindwood,
            > This and the previous Gita posting are,
            > as usual, very great pointings. I like
            > the term Guidance (with the capital G) as
            > we often see "Grace" used similarly, but
            > with the term Guidance we also get the
            > concept that a definitive understanding
            > takes place that transcends the mind's usual
            > "it could be like this, or it could be
            > like that" tendency. This allows the "Thy
            > will be done" reality to take us over (and
            > inner) and we then automatically let events
            > of our life proceed as they may without
            > any inner chattering that commonly brings
            > us negativity (takes our peace away). And
            > of course, we all are "Yogi's" in spite of
            > whatever masks cover this true identity.
            > So these wise teaching apply to all of us.
            > Thanks again for sharing.
            > Peace and blessings,
            > Bob

          • suman sk
            Message 5 of 28 , Jun 8, 2008

              Thanks for continued posting on the wisdom of Geeta.

              I read it everyday and find a wonderful insight into the true learning.

              It is a science in itself but only for the beleiver.

              Om and God bless all of us

              Surendra K

              I cannot take very much credit. The book I am using gives a word for
              word translation from the Sanskrit. The word order takes a little
              getting used to and sometimes the English words that are chosen by the
              author have several definitions and the author sometime uses the more
              obscure definition, so I find I have to use a dictionary some to get
              the real meaning. What I then do is try and relate that word for word
              English translation to my own meditation experience so that I can
              express that translation in a way that is more understandable I hope.
              What I find wonderful about the Gita is here are these words that in
              a condensed kind of way outlines the spiritual experience, like
              lecture notes that a teacher can expand on. Since I meditate myself,
              I feel that I can do the subject some justice, but I sometimes wonder
              if there might be better words than the ones I use.
              --- In meditationsocietyof america@yahoogro ups.com, medit8ionsociety .

              > Yo Westwindwood,
              > This and the previous Gita posting are,
              > as usual, very great pointings. I like
              > the term Guidance (with the capital G) as
              > we often see "Grace" used similarly, but
              > with the term Guidance we also get the
              > concept that a definitive understanding
              > takes place that transcends the mind's usual
              > "it could be like this, or it could be
              > like that" tendency. This allows the "Thy
              > will be done" reality to take us over (and
              > inner) and we then automatically let events
              > of our life proceed as they may without
              > any inner chattering that commonly brings
              > us negativity (takes our peace away). And
              > of course, we all are "Yogi's" in spite of
              > whatever masks cover this true identity.
              > So these wise teaching apply to all of us.
              > Thanks again for sharing.
              > Peace and blessings,
              > Bob

            • WestWindWood
              Message 6 of 28 , Jun 9, 2008
                54. Arjuna asks a question about the
                qualities (steady of disposition,
                consistent in vision) of a sage, (who
                has merged with the Creator, the
                nature of that which underlies all
                existence).

                The sage, merged into the Creator
                beyond the normal conscious state,
                we could say in deep meditation,
                experiences the qualities of the
                Creator.  The sage has, over may
                years of evolution, taken these
                experiences and incorporated in him,
                through proper action and behavior,
                the qualities of the Creator so that
                the sage became Self.

                This seems like A LOT OF HARD
                WORK! But in reality, it is just a
                giving up of all those qualities of
                personality that are not of the divine
                nature.  It seems an agony at the
                time, but is nothing looking back,
                and why was that I clung to so
                important anyway, but it was.

                55. Sri Bhagavan (Krishna) said:
                All desires of the mind (of ones very
                heart) are cast off, Oh Partha, by
                becoming the Self by working with
                the Self in steady wisdom.

                Contact with the Self in meditation
                brings a steady wisdom, Oh what to
                do about my present situation and
                how am I going to work this out,
                God's will be done, and so it goes
                with an answer coming to me so that
                I become more the Self by practicing
                proper behavior and letting the Self
                emerge in place of the misguided
                personality that I have begun with.

                56. The mind is unshaken in
                adversity, and in pleasure, there is no
                latching onto and wanting to retain.
                Free from attachment, fear and anger
                is the sage poised in wisdom.

                The wisdom found in meditation
                allows the sage these characteristics.
                This is just something that happens,
                a symptom, not something that the
                sage tries to grasp and become, it just
                happens because one meditates.

              • aideenmck
                Message 7 of 28 , Jun 11, 2008
                  Belated thanks for these posts helping us to understand the Bhagavad
                  Gita, about which I was almost totally ignorant. Recently, I've been
                  reading Ram Dass's "Paths to God: Living the Bhagavad Gita" - it,
                  too, is a revelation. Also reading Rumi's poetry, the Coleman Barks
                  translation. And meeting Theravadin monks, listening to their dharma
                  talks. Sometimes I feel as if I'm perceiving everything for the
                  first time. (Where have I been?)
                  Aideen

                  --- In meditationsocietyofamerica@yahoogroups.com, WestWindWood

                  Message 8 of 28 , Jun 14, 2008