The Bhagavad Gita 10

  • westwindwood2003
    Message 1 of 28 , Jun 3, 2008
      A little background first. Prakriti or the phenomenal universe is
      delineated in the Vedic teaching. The Vedas identify the phenomenal
      universe so completely that the phenomenal and Vedas are considered
      the same essence. The three Gunas are Sattva, Rajas and Tamas and
      constitute the Vedas. Sattva is an illumination shining forth from
      the individual through knowledge, Rajas characteristics are greed and
      selfish activities and Tamas inactivity, delusion, recklessness and
      darkness. The three Gunas compete with each other, create unbalance,
      and cause the propagation of the phenomenal universe.

      What does one then do? The Key is Yoga. In other words, do your
      meditation, offer up the work that is yours, perform the prescribed
      duty revealed to you and do not desire results one way or the other,
      just do the requested action found in meditation. In this way you
      will not be a producer of karma. The Gita states:

      45. Deal with the three attributes, the Vedas. Be without these three
      attributes Oh Arjuna, free from the pairs of opposites, ever remaining
      in the Sattva (goodness) free from (the thought of) material
      acquisition and preservation, established in the self.

      46. In this work, the only right thing for you is not desire the
      fruits of your effort. Also at any time, do not let this not wanting
      fruits of action be the motive because in not having your attachment
      you would let there be an inaction.

      Yoga eventually takes a person beyond the three Gunas so that even
      Sattva eventually fades as all is worked out.

      48. Steadfast in yoga, perform attachment abandonment, Oh Dhananjaya,
      in success and failure be the same as yoga is called having an
      evenness of mind.

      However, this can only be attained by meditation. It is not attained
      by act of willpower as the goings on are the doings of the Lord
      speaking within and the one who meditates is in the position of a
      willing servant. Just do it.
    • westwindwood2003
      Message 2 of 28 , Jun 5, 2008
        49. Action not directed by yoga is by far most
        inferior. Oh Dhananjaya, the self-seekers,
        those taking advantage of opportunities without
        regard for the consequences, have a wretched
        existence.

        The unaware person lives their life seeking
        pleasure, trying to get head. Perhaps something
        happens, some calamity or maybe it is just a
        realization that life is not right. There is
        religion to turn to, religious works and teachers.
        Ultimately though, there is the complete giving
        over to God, a total offering up of what one is
        striving for spiritually and seeking guidance in
        deep meditation, a discovery through yoga of
        the path to resolution of it all.

        50. With meditation comes a calmness of mind,
        tranquility. Also, there is wisdom that comes
        showing the actions, the feelings even, that
        needs to be acted upon to grow. There is
        perfection in this life following this path.
        Devote yourself to yoga. Good and evil deeds,
        how do I know which is which? Pursuing
        either should eventually cease. But, it will take
        decades to evolve through it all because it is
        hard to change ones personality.

        Intellectually we have a feeling for what is
        right and wrong, but this is action not directed
        by yoga and is inferior. For instance, I may
        help someone and that seems right to me;
        however, I might be keeping that person from
        discovering the path because they may not
        realize life needs working on. If I do not help
        them when I easily can do so, that might seem
        wrong. The answer to the proper action is
        revealed in meditation.

        51. The wise, those who meditate, let go of the
        desire, lets answers come when no ego
        intervenes, discerns proper action and go
        beyond evil, eventually evolving into the nature
        that frees them from being bound to birthing
        again.
      • westwindwood2003
        Message 3 of 28 , Jun 6, 2008
          What happens to a yogi? These are active
          and passive. The following is passive
          because it just happens without effort.

          51. When understanding from your practice
          comes, intellectual delusion is bypassed.
          You are indifferent to what others said in the
          past and what you shall hear in the future.

          This just happens automatically because of
          the immediate (in this very instant)
          Guidance. That Guidance is all there is; the
          intellect is inactive.

          52. Your intellect analyzes what others say
          and you can be confused by the many
          options. The yogi; however, can stand
          immovable in the Self with steady
          understanding of the course of action
          needed.
          Message 4 of 28 , Jun 7, 2008
            "westwindwood2003" <westwindwood2003@...> wrote:

            > What happens to a yogi? These are active
            > and passive. The following is passive
            > because it just happens without effort.
            >
            > 51. When understanding from your practice
            > comes, intellectual delusion is bypassed.
            > You are indifferent to what others said in the
            > past and what you shall hear in the future.
            >
            > This just happens automatically because of
            > the immediate (in this very instant)
            > Guidance. That Guidance is all there is; the
            > intellect is inactive.
            >
            > 52. Your intellect analyzes what others say
            > and you can be confused by the many
            > options. The yogi; however, can stand
            > immovable in the Self with steady
            > understanding of the course of action
            > needed.

            Yo Westwindwood,
            This and the previous Gita posting are,
            as usual, very great pointings. I like
            the term Guidance (with the capital G) as
            we often see "Grace" used similarly, but
            with the term Guidance we also get the
            concept that a definitive understanding
            takes place that transcends the mind's usual
            "it could be like this, or it could be
            like that" tendency. This allows the "Thy
            will be done" reality to take us over (and
            inner) and we then automatically let events
            of our life proceed as they may without
            any inner chattering that commonly brings
            us negativity (takes our peace away). And
            of course, we all are "Yogi's" in spite of
            whatever masks cover this true identity.
            So these wise teaching apply to all of us.
            Thanks again for sharing.
          • westwindwood2003
            Message 5 of 28 , Jun 7, 2008
              I cannot take very much credit. The book I am using gives a word for
              word translation from the Sanskrit. The word order takes a little
              getting used to and sometimes the English words that are chosen by the
              author have several definitions and the author sometime uses the more
              obscure definition, so I find I have to use a dictionary some to get
              the real meaning. What I then do is try and relate that word for word
              English translation to my own meditation experience so that I can
              express that translation in a way that is more understandable I hope.
              What I find wonderful about the Gita is here are these words that in
              a condensed kind of way outlines the spiritual experience, like
              lecture notes that a teacher can expand on. Since I meditate myself,
              I feel that I can do the subject some justice, but I sometimes wonder
              if there might be better words than the ones I use.
              --- In meditationsocietyofamerica@yahoogroups.com, medit8ionsociety .

              > Yo Westwindwood,
              > This and the previous Gita posting are,
              > as usual, very great pointings. I like
              > the term Guidance (with the capital G) as
              > we often see "Grace" used similarly, but
              > with the term Guidance we also get the
              > concept that a definitive understanding
              > takes place that transcends the mind's usual
              > "it could be like this, or it could be
              > like that" tendency. This allows the "Thy
              > will be done" reality to take us over (and
              > inner) and we then automatically let events
              > of our life proceed as they may without
              > any inner chattering that commonly brings
              > us negativity (takes our peace away). And
              > of course, we all are "Yogi's" in spite of
              > whatever masks cover this true identity.
              > So these wise teaching apply to all of us.
              > Thanks again for sharing.
              > Peace and blessings,
              > Bob

            • suman sk
              Message 6 of 28 , Jun 8, 2008

                Thanks for continued posting on the wisdom of Geeta.

                I read it everyday and find a wonderful insight into the true learning.

                It is a science in itself but only for the beleiver.

                Om and God bless all of us

                Surendra K

                I cannot take very much credit. The book I am using gives a word for
                word translation from the Sanskrit. The word order takes a little
                getting used to and sometimes the English words that are chosen by the
                author have several definitions and the author sometime uses the more
                obscure definition, so I find I have to use a dictionary some to get
                the real meaning. What I then do is try and relate that word for word
                English translation to my own meditation experience so that I can
                express that translation in a way that is more understandable I hope.
                What I find wonderful about the Gita is here are these words that in
                a condensed kind of way outlines the spiritual experience, like
                lecture notes that a teacher can expand on. Since I meditate myself,
                I feel that I can do the subject some justice, but I sometimes wonder
                if there might be better words than the ones I use.
                --- In meditationsocietyof america@yahoogro ups.com, medit8ionsociety .

                > Yo Westwindwood,
                > This and the previous Gita posting are,
                > as usual, very great pointings. I like
                > the term Guidance (with the capital G) as
                > we often see "Grace" used similarly, but
                > with the term Guidance we also get the
                > concept that a definitive understanding
                > takes place that transcends the mind's usual
                > "it could be like this, or it could be
                > like that" tendency. This allows the "Thy
                > will be done" reality to take us over (and
                > inner) and we then automatically let events
                > of our life proceed as they may without
                > any inner chattering that commonly brings
                > us negativity (takes our peace away). And
                > of course, we all are "Yogi's" in spite of
                > whatever masks cover this true identity.
                > So these wise teaching apply to all of us.
                > Thanks again for sharing.
                > Peace and blessings,
                > Bob

              • WestWindWood
                Message 7 of 28 , Jun 9, 2008
                  54. Arjuna asks a question about the
                  qualities (steady of disposition,
                  consistent in vision) of a sage, (who
                  has merged with the Creator, the
                  nature of that which underlies all
                  existence).

                  The sage, merged into the Creator
                  beyond the normal conscious state,
                  we could say in deep meditation,
                  experiences the qualities of the
                  Creator.  The sage has, over may
                  years of evolution, taken these
                  experiences and incorporated in him,
                  through proper action and behavior,
                  the qualities of the Creator so that
                  the sage became Self.

                  This seems like A LOT OF HARD
                  WORK! But in reality, it is just a
                  giving up of all those qualities of
                  personality that are not of the divine
                  nature.  It seems an agony at the
                  time, but is nothing looking back,
                  and why was that I clung to so
                  important anyway, but it was.

                  55. Sri Bhagavan (Krishna) said:
                  All desires of the mind (of ones very
                  heart) are cast off, Oh Partha, by
                  becoming the Self by working with
                  the Self in steady wisdom.

                  Contact with the Self in meditation
                  brings a steady wisdom, Oh what to
                  do about my present situation and
                  how am I going to work this out,
                  God's will be done, and so it goes
                  with an answer coming to me so that
                  I become more the Self by practicing
                  proper behavior and letting the Self
                  emerge in place of the misguided
                  personality that I have begun with.

                  56. The mind is unshaken in
                  adversity, and in pleasure, there is no
                  latching onto and wanting to retain.
                  Free from attachment, fear and anger
                  is the sage poised in wisdom.

                  The wisdom found in meditation
                  allows the sage these characteristics.
                  This is just something that happens,
                  a symptom, not something that the
                  sage tries to grasp and become, it just
                  happens because one meditates.

                • aideenmck
                  Message 8 of 28 , Jun 11, 2008
                    Belated thanks for these posts helping us to understand the Bhagavad
                    Gita, about which I was almost totally ignorant. Recently, I've been
                    reading Ram Dass's "Paths to God: Living the Bhagavad Gita" - it,
                    too, is a revelation. Also reading Rumi's poetry, the Coleman Barks
                    translation. And meeting Theravadin monks, listening to their dharma
                    talks. Sometimes I feel as if I'm perceiving everything for the
                    first time. (Where have I been?)
                    Aideen

                    --- In meditationsocietyofamerica@yahoogroups.com, WestWindWood

                    Message 9 of 28 , Jun 14, 2008