Re: Back pain & zafu construction

    Message 1 of 7 , Jun 3, 2008
      "Rebecca" <bexn@...> wrote:

      > Dear dhan,
      >
      > Thank you for sharing your experience with the group. Flatulence can
      certainly be a cause
      > of great distress however it's not the cause of my back pain. My
      back pain comes from
      > two forms of arthritis. As such, my question is not the same one you
      asked previously.

      > Again, if anyone would be willing to share their preferences and
      experiences in regard to
      > their zafu's fabric and filling or suggest another tool (maybe a
      favorite stool?) that would
      > assist, I would be most grateful.
      >
      > Thank you.

      Yo Rebecca,
      I'm not sure that you should even be considering
      a zafu or stool or anything that would challenge
      your body's arthritis. The best seat is one which
      will be comfortable enough to not be distracted
      by discomfort, but not so comfortable that you fall
      asleep. Perhaps a chair may fit your needs best of
      all. With meditation, what kind of seat your
      are on is not as relevant as where your
      consciousness is positioned. Pain, be it physical,
      mental, or emotional commonly steals attention from
      the Inner Witness posture that is the unifying
      seat of meditation. There is a point in life's
      evolution where the pain-no pain duality is
      transcended, but until then (and some say this
      degree of dispassion may take many lifetimes),
      I think it may be most advantageous to ignore
      and not follow the cliche of no pain, no gain,
      and seat your body in the easiest way for it to
      just let your consciousness flow unburdened.
      And then silently witness the events of your life
      unfold.
    • Rebecca
      Message 2 of 7 , Jun 9, 2008
        --- In meditationsocietyofamerica@yahoogroups.com, medit8ionsociety <no_reply@...>
        wrote:
        > Yo Rebecca,
        > I'm not sure that you should even be considering
        > a zafu or stool or anything that would challenge
        > your body's arthritis.

        Hi Bob,

        I'm sorry it's taken so long to respond. I've been
        buried in my sewing room working on a quilt.

        I greatly appreciate your concern. Unfortunately,
        I know how right you are about being careful
        about challenging my arthritis. A couple of months
        ago, I started with a gomden-like seat that I had
        used in yoga many years ago. At that point it was
        fine but now it is too low and too great of a slant.
        When I sat on it, it was more painful than sitting
        on the floor so I put it aside and approached my
        physical therapist about the issue. He determine
        that it would be OK to use pillows or another tool
        as long as they came to his specified height and slant.
        This is one of several reasons why I've chosen to make
        the zafu myself. I've designed a pattern that will make
        it easy to both clean the zafu and keep it to no more or
        less than 6". This is one reason why I wanted feedback
        on the fillings. If people told me that kapok compresses
        down too quickly, for example, I'd be more likely to
        go with buckwheat hulls so I wouldn't have to continually
        stuff it to get it to the correct height.

        > seat of meditation. There is a point in life's
        > evolution where the pain-no pain duality is
        > transcended, but until then (and some say this
        > degree of dispassion may take many lifetimes),
        > I think it may be most advantageous to ignore
        > and not follow the cliche of no pain, no gain,
        > and seat your body in the easiest way for it to
        > just let your consciousness flow unburdened.

        I hope I'll reach the pain-no pain duality at some point but
        I suspect it won't be in this lifetime for me. I completely
        agree with you about the no pain, no gain adage. I've never
        thought of pain as a sign of weakness but a sign that something's
        off and needs attending.

        Thanks again for your concern.

        Rebecca
      • Aideen McKenna
        Message 3 of 7 , Jun 9, 2008

          I’m grateful for this exchange regarding arthritic pain & sitting meditation.  I have arthritis; some days or weeks I can sit in comfort on a zafu (buckwheat-filled), sometimes (often) not.  After some time of beating myself up about how I sat to meditate, I let it go, except for a small shred of guilt.  The ghost of my grandmother still tells me to “offer it up for the souls in Purgatory” – “it” being suffering of any kind.  Some of us were taught (although not in so many words), that if it isn’t downright unpleasant, it’s not worth anything.  Now every morning I sit pretty well motionless but comfortable on my couch with my outstretched legs on a hassock.  If there’s a Purgatory realm, its inhabitants are receiving the metta I’m sending, & Grandma’s benefiting.

          > I'm not sure that you should even be considering
          > a zafu or stool or anything that would challenge
          > your body's arthritis.

          Hi Bob,

          I'm sorry it's taken so long to respond. I've been
          buried in my sewing room working on a quilt.

          I greatly appreciate your concern. Unfortunately,
          I know how right you are about being careful
          about challenging my arthritis. A couple of months
          ago, I started with a gomden-like seat that I had
          used in yoga many years ago. At that point it was
          fine but now it is too low and too great of a slant.
          When I sat on it, it was more painful than sitting
          on the floor so I put it aside and approached my
          physical therapist about the issue. He determine
          that it would be OK to use pillows or another tool
          as long as they came to his specified height and slant.
          This is one of several reasons why I've chosen to make
          the zafu myself. I've designed a pattern that will make
          it easy to both clean the zafu and keep it to no more or
          less than 6". This is one reason why I wanted feedback
          on the fillings. If people told me that kapok compresses
          down too quickly, for example, I'd be more likely to
          go with buckwheat hulls so I wouldn't have to continually
          stuff it to get it to the correct height.

          > seat of meditation. There is a point in life's
          > evolution where the pain-no pain duality is
          > transcended, but until then (and some say this
          > degree of dispassion may take many lifetimes),
          > I think it may be most advantageous to ignore
          > and not follow the cliche of no pain, no gain,
          > and seat your body in the easiest way for it to
          > just let your consciousness flow unburdened.

          I hope I'll reach the pain-no pain duality at some point but
          I suspect it won't be in this lifetime for me. I completely
          agree with you about the no pain, no gain adage. I've never
          thought of pain as a sign of weakness but a sign that something's
          off and needs attending.

          Thanks again for your concern.

          Rebecca

          Checked by AVG.

          Checked by AVG.

        • J
          Message 4 of 7 , Aug 2, 2008
            have you tried the path of least resistance ?

            meditating on your back with palms facing up
            I have found my best healing and traveling
            in this position.

            peace