Back pain & zafu construction

  • Rebecca
    Message 1 of 7 , Jun 2, 2008
      Hi Everyone,

      I am new to the group but not to meditation. I have been
      meditating for several years, usually doing walking
      meditations or using knitting as a form of meditation. I
      am starting to branch out into other forms and I'm left
      with a question that I'd like to ask.

      I usually sit on the floor when I meditate and have found that
      I'm having a hard time keeping good posture. As a result, I end
      up focusing on my back pain instead of what I've chosen for my
      meditation. I know focusing on back pain can also be a form of
      meditation but honestly, I'd rather not be in pain! I thought
      it might help to start using a zafu so I've located some
      patterns to make one. I am curious which fabrics and fillings
      people prefer. I know in the end it comes down to personal
      preference but I thought hearing others' experiences might
      help me decide which way to go. I would be grateful to anyone
      who would be willing to share their experience or offer a suggestion
      for a different tool.

      Fabric I'm considering: hemp canvas, cotton canvas, denim.
      Filling I'm considering: kapok and buckwheat hulls.
      I'm open to other suggestions as well. I also plan on double
      or triple stitching for added durability.

      Thank you.
    • M.V.T. DHANANJEYAN
      Message 2 of 7 , Jun 2, 2008
        Dear everyone,

        The question you asked is the same I asked long back. As per my
        knowledge gas and pain is a part of meditation. Because , as per
        siddhars wording, at the time of doing meditation the stomach should
        be 100% clean, it is not truthfully possible now a days to human. the
        reason is, the way the food we are taking.
        "A true food at the time of meditation is without sweet, bitter,
        hard , salt. No sex inducing food like onion, drum stick etc.

        We need threekarana sudhi i.e. mind , body and soul purity then only
        we can achieve.
        The real food suggested near people is milk with rice without salt ,
        boiled green gram and rice without salt and chilly and fruits.

        Monthly once take1) bargolax or 2)Murukandi vidhai in tamil other
        name i dont know. or some loose motion giving medicine , clear your
        body then sit for meditation see the effect.

        Any way My experience is very freely without stressing our body at
        the time of meditation will reduce the gas and pain effect.

        But, as per improvement concern gas is nothing but the activation
        some forces in our body. i.e. as per yoga view our body has ten gases
        or ten forces any one may be working higher than the other then we
        will get such effect.

        At last I can say even with this keep on doing yoga will relieve the
        same. The forces rearrange them selves and become alright at some
        stage.

        You will cross so many effects ( experience) then only you can
        achieve.

        Some thing i dont know how to explain you. Your own experience will
        give you answer.

        dhan

        --- In meditationsocietyofamerica@yahoogroups.com, "Rebecca"
        <bexn@...> wrote:

        > Hi Everyone,
        >
        > I am new to the group but not to meditation. I have been
        > meditating for several years, usually doing walking
        > meditations or using knitting as a form of meditation. I
        > am starting to branch out into other forms and I'm left
        > with a question that I'd like to ask.
        >
        > I usually sit on the floor when I meditate and have found that
        > I'm having a hard time keeping good posture. As a result, I end
        > up focusing on my back pain instead of what I've chosen for my
        > meditation. I know focusing on back pain can also be a form of
        > meditation but honestly, I'd rather not be in pain! I thought
        > it might help to start using a zafu so I've located some
        > patterns to make one. I am curious which fabrics and fillings
        > people prefer. I know in the end it comes down to personal
        > preference but I thought hearing others' experiences might
        > help me decide which way to go. I would be grateful to anyone
        > who would be willing to share their experience or offer a
        suggestion
        > for a different tool.
        >
        > Fabric I'm considering: hemp canvas, cotton canvas, denim.
        > Filling I'm considering: kapok and buckwheat hulls.
        > I'm open to other suggestions as well. I also plan on double
        > or triple stitching for added durability.
        >
        > Thank you.

      • Rebecca
        Message 3 of 7 , Jun 3, 2008
          Dear dhan,

          Thank you for sharing your experience with the group. Flatulence can certainly be a cause
          of great distress however it's not the cause of my back pain. My back pain comes from
          two forms of arthritis. As such, my question is not the same one you asked previously.

          Again, if anyone would be willing to share their preferences and experiences in regard to
          their zafu's fabric and filling or suggest another tool (maybe a favorite stool?) that would
          assist, I would be most grateful.

          Thank you.

          --- In meditationsocietyofamerica@yahoogroups.com, "M.V.T. DHANANJEYAN"

          Message 4 of 7 , Jun 3, 2008
            "Rebecca" <bexn@...> wrote:

            > Dear dhan,
            >
            > Thank you for sharing your experience with the group. Flatulence can
            certainly be a cause
            > of great distress however it's not the cause of my back pain. My
            back pain comes from
            > two forms of arthritis. As such, my question is not the same one you
            asked previously.

            > Again, if anyone would be willing to share their preferences and
            experiences in regard to
            > their zafu's fabric and filling or suggest another tool (maybe a
            favorite stool?) that would
            > assist, I would be most grateful.
            >
            > Thank you.

            Yo Rebecca,
            I'm not sure that you should even be considering
            a zafu or stool or anything that would challenge
            your body's arthritis. The best seat is one which
            will be comfortable enough to not be distracted
            by discomfort, but not so comfortable that you fall
            asleep. Perhaps a chair may fit your needs best of
            all. With meditation, what kind of seat your
            are on is not as relevant as where your
            consciousness is positioned. Pain, be it physical,
            mental, or emotional commonly steals attention from
            the Inner Witness posture that is the unifying
            seat of meditation. There is a point in life's
            evolution where the pain-no pain duality is
            transcended, but until then (and some say this
            degree of dispassion may take many lifetimes),
            I think it may be most advantageous to ignore
            and not follow the cliche of no pain, no gain,
            and seat your body in the easiest way for it to
            just let your consciousness flow unburdened.
            And then silently witness the events of your life
            unfold.
          • Rebecca
            Message 5 of 7 , Jun 9, 2008
              --- In meditationsocietyofamerica@yahoogroups.com, medit8ionsociety <no_reply@...>
              wrote:
              > Yo Rebecca,
              > I'm not sure that you should even be considering
              > a zafu or stool or anything that would challenge
              > your body's arthritis.

              Hi Bob,

              I'm sorry it's taken so long to respond. I've been
              buried in my sewing room working on a quilt.

              I greatly appreciate your concern. Unfortunately,
              I know how right you are about being careful
              about challenging my arthritis. A couple of months
              ago, I started with a gomden-like seat that I had
              used in yoga many years ago. At that point it was
              fine but now it is too low and too great of a slant.
              When I sat on it, it was more painful than sitting
              on the floor so I put it aside and approached my
              physical therapist about the issue. He determine
              that it would be OK to use pillows or another tool
              as long as they came to his specified height and slant.
              This is one of several reasons why I've chosen to make
              the zafu myself. I've designed a pattern that will make
              it easy to both clean the zafu and keep it to no more or
              less than 6". This is one reason why I wanted feedback
              on the fillings. If people told me that kapok compresses
              down too quickly, for example, I'd be more likely to
              go with buckwheat hulls so I wouldn't have to continually
              stuff it to get it to the correct height.

              > seat of meditation. There is a point in life's
              > evolution where the pain-no pain duality is
              > transcended, but until then (and some say this
              > degree of dispassion may take many lifetimes),
              > I think it may be most advantageous to ignore
              > and not follow the cliche of no pain, no gain,
              > and seat your body in the easiest way for it to
              > just let your consciousness flow unburdened.

              I hope I'll reach the pain-no pain duality at some point but
              I suspect it won't be in this lifetime for me. I completely
              agree with you about the no pain, no gain adage. I've never
              thought of pain as a sign of weakness but a sign that something's
              off and needs attending.

              Thanks again for your concern.

              Rebecca
            • Aideen McKenna
              Message 6 of 7 , Jun 9, 2008

                I’m grateful for this exchange regarding arthritic pain & sitting meditation.  I have arthritis; some days or weeks I can sit in comfort on a zafu (buckwheat-filled), sometimes (often) not.  After some time of beating myself up about how I sat to meditate, I let it go, except for a small shred of guilt.  The ghost of my grandmother still tells me to “offer it up for the souls in Purgatory” – “it” being suffering of any kind.  Some of us were taught (although not in so many words), that if it isn’t downright unpleasant, it’s not worth anything.  Now every morning I sit pretty well motionless but comfortable on my couch with my outstretched legs on a hassock.  If there’s a Purgatory realm, its inhabitants are receiving the metta I’m sending, & Grandma’s benefiting.

                > I'm not sure that you should even be considering
                > a zafu or stool or anything that would challenge
                > your body's arthritis.

                Hi Bob,

                I'm sorry it's taken so long to respond. I've been
                buried in my sewing room working on a quilt.

                I greatly appreciate your concern. Unfortunately,
                I know how right you are about being careful
                about challenging my arthritis. A couple of months
                ago, I started with a gomden-like seat that I had
                used in yoga many years ago. At that point it was
                fine but now it is too low and too great of a slant.
                When I sat on it, it was more painful than sitting
                on the floor so I put it aside and approached my
                physical therapist about the issue. He determine
                that it would be OK to use pillows or another tool
                as long as they came to his specified height and slant.
                This is one of several reasons why I've chosen to make
                the zafu myself. I've designed a pattern that will make
                it easy to both clean the zafu and keep it to no more or
                less than 6". This is one reason why I wanted feedback
                on the fillings. If people told me that kapok compresses
                down too quickly, for example, I'd be more likely to
                go with buckwheat hulls so I wouldn't have to continually
                stuff it to get it to the correct height.

                > seat of meditation. There is a point in life's
                > evolution where the pain-no pain duality is
                > transcended, but until then (and some say this
                > degree of dispassion may take many lifetimes),
                > I think it may be most advantageous to ignore
                > and not follow the cliche of no pain, no gain,
                > and seat your body in the easiest way for it to
                > just let your consciousness flow unburdened.

                I hope I'll reach the pain-no pain duality at some point but
                I suspect it won't be in this lifetime for me. I completely
                agree with you about the no pain, no gain adage. I've never
                thought of pain as a sign of weakness but a sign that something's
                off and needs attending.

                Thanks again for your concern.

                Rebecca

                Checked by AVG.

                Checked by AVG.

              • J
                Message 7 of 7 , Aug 2, 2008
                  have you tried the path of least resistance ?

                  meditating on your back with palms facing up
                  I have found my best healing and traveling
                  in this position.

                  peace