Meditation Tips

    Message 1 of 1 , May 14 5:35 PM
      From The Inner Traveler issue #9:

      Pleasant Meditation Distraction Traps

      The more you meditate, the more meditation
      can become the most interesting thing you
      ever and never imagined. This is because
      your mind will present incredible things
      to distract you in its effort to remain
      your master, and you its slave. There is a
      scientific reality and perspective that
      states that we are not what our limited
      senses perceive. For instance, we aren't
      "really" solid. It just seems that way because
      that's the way our eyes work. We are atomic
      and pre-atomic energy in motion. If we had
      Electron Microscope and Hubbell telescope
      quality vision, it would be apparent that we
      are infinite in nature and taking part in a
      never-ending interaction with everything
      everywhere. We are not lone drops apart from
      the ocean, but rather a part of the ocean.
      Initially, your mind may be able to distract
      you by something as simple as an itch,
      a memory, a feeling of happiness, etc. But
      as you get steadier in your meditation, and
      don't react to your sense perceptions, memories,
      emotions, and so on, your mind will loose its
      grip, and reality will present itself. And you
      will feel, see, and know the awe of transcendent
      in-sight. Often, your mind will then try to
      distract you, and regain the mastery over you,
      by letting you see increasingly spectacular
      and sometimes even divine visions, and have
      more and more seemingly evolving understandings.
      That awareness within, that is ever-present,
      and silently perceives all the changes your
      mind, body, and emotions put you through is
      your inner Witness, and that is your Real Self.
      Your mind's game plan is to keep you in a state
      of "Gee Whiz!!!" and not recognize what is ever
      before you, and that is your oneness with your
      Witness and its oneness with all and everything.
      Realization comes from Grace and Grace alone.
      It is not a byproduct of meditation, but there
      may be no better way to remove the obstacles
      that delay this awakening than meditation. So,
      enjoy the inner and outer light shows, the
      transcendent sounds, sensational physical
      sensations, and so on, but don't get caught in
      the "seeking after more and more spectacular
      versions of them" trap. The first two steps in
      meditation are dispassion and discrimination.
      Seek what is eternal, not transitory; the essence,
      not the superficial. This is discrimination.
      And don't get wound up with too much jubilation
      when you have beautiful visions, or disappointment
      when you don't. This is dispassion. Sit in
      meditation without expectation. Simply Witness.
      When not sitting in meditation, witness your
      life as an ongoing meditation. Persevere.
      The universe and its source and support will
      presently present you with the ultimate present.
      And You will be present. And you will live
      happily ever after.