Re: [Meditation Society of America] Zen and the Art of Knifemaking

    Message 1 of 27 , May 7, 2008
      "Aideen McKenna" <aideenmck@...> wrote:

      > Actually, she says "That's a Good Thing". You can hear the capital
      letters
      > when she says it.
      >
      > Aideen

      Yo Aideen,
      You're right - when she speaks, it's often in Caps.
      A small coincidence is that when my wife read the
      post she said that she tought all of the "Thy
      will be done" quote should be in caps. I guess
      all these Higher Power types command special attention!
      Knifemaking

      > In the photo section, you will find additions
      > to the Zen and the Art of Knifemaking folder;
      > pictures 40, 41, 42, and 43. They show a
      > dagger that has a Damascus steel blade and an
      > Ironwood handle. I think you may agree with the
      > general feeling among knife makers that Ironwood
      > is the most beautiful wood, and Damascus is the
      > most beautiful type of steel. They both are
      > fine examples of why I think that nature provides
      > the most beautiful art works. While witnessing
      > the creation of this knife I was aware that what
      > needed to be done by my hands and eyes would be
      > conflicted if I let my emotions get involved, and
      > similarly I saw that mental chattering would be
      > distractive and not helpful. Once a method has
      > been programmed into our body and brain, it is best
      > to just let it happen. I'm always humbled when I
      > see the end result and always get further unable
      > to deny the reality that all that happens is "Thy
      > will be done" in action. And, that if we in our
      > arrogance think that we can "do" anything, it is
      > very common for the universe to demonstrate how
      > naive an attitude that is. For instance, can you
      > be 100% sure that you won't fall on your face when
      > you get up from reading this? Well, since I've rid
      > myself of thinking I can make knives and have
      > accepted that I can just be a tool for their coming
      > into being, I've fallen on my face much less often
      > when taking part in the knifemaking process. And I've
      > found that as St Martha says, "That's a good thing".
      > Peace and blessings,
      > Bob

      > Checked by AVG.
      5/06/08
      > 5:17 PM

      > Checked by AVG.
      5/06/08

      Message 2 of 27 , Aug 11, 2008
        In the photo section, in the folder "Zen
        and the Art of Knifemaking", you will
        find a new knife that features Mammoth
        tooth handles. As I was witnessing the
        assembly of this knife taking place,
        there was a unique feeling of an ancient
        connection present. The obviousness of
        handling a 30,000 year old object and
        being extra careful to not mess it up
        also brought about a special awareness
        that is hard to label, but can perhaps be
        represented by saying that the usual "just
        witnessing and letting flow whatever may flow"
        attitude had an extra effortless effort
        energy added to it. I just saw an episode
        of "American Dad" last night where the Dad
        had souped up his car so he could drag
        race with it (to impress his wife), and at one
        point he hit a switch that ignited a nitro burst
        that made the car blast off extra quickly.
        And that's sort of how I felt during this
        particular knife making session. It really
        seemed to touch the semi-eternal nature of
        Mother Earth. I can't wait to see what using
        meteorite will feel like!
        The pics are # 45 and 46. And to see many
        more Zen and the Art of Knifemaking blades:
        http://www.bobroseknives.com
        Message 3 of 27 , Sep 25 6:44 PM
          Once again I'll be displaying my knives,
          and like what seems like just very few knife
          makers do, talking about meditation. The show
          is in Easton PA and will be held Sat and
          Sun from 9 to 5. I expect to only be there
          for Sat as there is an Eagles game Sunday and
          I expect to be back home for it. After all,
          I do try not to miss religious events, and
          sometimes there are only 16 of them a year.

          After the show we'll probably be going out to dinner
          with several friends, so if you'll be in the area
          please stop in and say "High!" and maybe join the
          probably somewhat transcendental fun.

          PS: You can see the knives at:
          http://www.bobroseknives.com
          Message 4 of 27 , Sep 26 4:10 PM

            > Once again I'll be displaying my knives,
            > and like what seems like just very few knife
            > makers do, talking about meditation. The show
            > is in Easton PA and will be held Sat and
            > Sun from 9 to 5. I expect to only be there
            > for Sat as there is an Eagles game Sunday and
            > I expect to be back home for it. After all,
            > I do try not to miss religious events, and
            > sometimes there are only 16 of them a year.
            >
            > After the show we'll probably be going out to dinner
            > with several friends, so if you'll be in the area
            > please stop in and say "High!" and maybe join the
            > probably somewhat transcendental fun.
            >
            > Peace and blessings,
            > Bob
            > PS: You can see the knives at:
            > http://www.bobroseknives.com

            Well, we just got back from the show and it
            was very pleasant, fun and interesting. Nice
            people, good conversation, lots of amazing
            knives by some of the most talented makers
            in the world. As is available in every moment,
            lots of new in-sights and out-sights. I also
            was pretty surprised to find right around the
            corner quite a coincidence. There was the Belyea
            Electric Supply Company, and just as Papajeff
            deals with Transformation, they specialize
            in Transformers. Yes, this incarnation is always
            at least semi-interesting!
            Peace and blesings,
            Message 5 of 27 , Nov 20, 2009
              The 2 latest knives that have appeared have
              very ancient handle materials. One is from
              mammoth tooth and is between 15,000 and
              30,000 years old. The other is fossil coral
              and is between 1.8 million and 230 million
              years old.
              As I worked with them,their antiquity radiated as
              a sensation beyond just their appearance. Just as
              when you enter a church or are at a holy place,
              or in the company of a holy being, saint or
              newborn, there was a feeling that was far from
              the same old same old. I felt a connection to the
              Earth and a unity with all life that has been and
              is and will be her life's work. Humility and reverence
              are the closest adjectives to describe the mood
              that flew through, and still remains. And now the
              beauty that for some reason was hidden within their
              environments is now visible and to me is a
              demonstration of the gifts of love from a sentient
              universe that are available within and without.
              I consider it a blessing to be able to spend moments
              in the company of such simple yet so fantastic
              creations.
              PS: I am posting pictures of them in the Photo section
              in the Zen and the Art of Knifemaking album.
              Message 6 of 27 , Dec 9, 2011
                This weekend I'll be displaying my knives
                http://www.bobroseknives.com
                at the Harrisburg PA Gun Show.
                If you feel like sharing meditation concepts,
                methods and experiences, I'll be glad to
                spend time with you. This show is really unique
                even for weapon-addicts. It's the only place I
                know of where they not only sell weapons and
                ammo, but where you can also buy and drink beer.
                Talk about non-conduscive to meditation venues!
                But in reality, it's a perfect place to put into
                practice your non-distractability, keeping
                calm in all situations, and awareness to the test.
                So stop by and say hello. These days, it's actually
                a safer environment than some college campuses, and
                we may even find it to be a good opportunity to
                evolve in consciousness.

                Visitor Information
                LOCATION
                The show will be held in the Pennsylvania Farm Show Complex & Expo Center, North Cameron and Maclay Streets, Harrisburg, PA.

                DIRECTIONS

                TRAVELING WEST ON THE PENNSYLVANIA TURNPIKE:
                Take Exit 247. Travel north on PA-283, which merges with I-83. Follow I-83 North and merge with I-81 South. Take Exit 67A for Cameron Street off I-81. Follow signs to Spectator or Exhibitor Parking.

                TRAVELING EAST ON PENNSYLVANIA TURNPIKE:
                Take Exit 236. Travel north on Route 15 to 581 West. Travel west on 581 and merge onto I-81 North. Follow I-81 North across the Susquehanna River, and then take Exit 67 for Cameron Street off I-81. Follow signs to Spectator or Exhibitor Parking.

                FROM THE HARRISBURG INTERNATIONAL AIRPORT:
                Head north on 441 to 283 North. Travel north on PA-283, which merges with I-83. Follow I-83 North and merge with I-81 South. Take Exit 67A for Cameron Street off I-81. Follow signs to Spectator or Exhibitor Parking.

                FROM THE WEST SHORE/CARLISLE:
                Take I-81 North to Exit 67A for Cameron Street. Follow signs to Spectator or Exhibitor Parking.

                FROM DOWNTOWN HARRISBURG:
                Take Second Street north to the 2100 block and turn right onto Maclay Street. Follow Maclay Street east across the railroad bridge to the traffic light at the Farm Show Building. Turn left onto Cameron Street and travel north. Follow signs to Spectator or Exhibitor Parking.

                FROM THE NORTH:
                Take 11/15 South following the Susquehanna River to I-81. Follow I-81 North across the river and take Exit 67A for Cameron Street. Follow signs to Spectator or Exhibitor Parking.

                FROM THE UPPER DAUPHIN AREA:
                Take Route 147 South or Route 225 South to Route 322 (River Relief Route). Route 322 becomes Cameron Street after crossing over I-81. Follow signs to Spectator or Exhibitor Parking.

                FROM HERSHEY:
                Take Route 322 West to I-83 North and merge with I-81 South. Take Exit 67A for Cameron Street. Follow signs to Spectator or Exhibitor Parking.

                FROM LANCASTER:
                Take 283 North towards Harrisburg to I-83 North and merge with I-81 South. Take Exit 67A for Cameron Street. Follow signs to Spectator or Exhibitor Parking.

                FROM YORK:
                Take I-83 North across the Susquehanna River. Follow I-83 North and merge with I-81 South. Take Exit 67A for Cameron Street. Follow signs to Spectator or Exhibitor Parking.

                FROM LEBANON:
                Take I-81 South towards Harrisburg. Take Exit 67A for Cameron Street. Follow signs to Spectator or Exhibitor Parking.

                FROM PROGRESS AVE EXIT OFF 81N:
                Take Exit 69. Merge right with Progress Avenue Traffic. Turn right onto Elmerton Avenue at traffic light. Follow signs to Spectator or Exhibitor Parking.

                FROM PROGRESS AVE EXIT OFF 81S:
                Take Exit 69. Turn right at traffic light onto Progress Avenue. At second traffic light turn right onto Elmerton Avenue. Follow signs to Spectator or Exhibitor Parking.
                Message 7 of 27 , May 4, 2012
                  Once again, I'll be displaying my knives at a gun
                  show this weekend. It's at the Philly Convention Center
                  in Oaks PA. Here's the URL for info.
                  http://www.eaglearms.com/Eaglearmsproductionfullpage.html
                  The last show we were at was one of the "highest" ones we've
                  attended. We had the pleasure of sharing meditation concepts
                  and techniques with several of our members who were there,
                  and it was a very nice experiential demo of transcending
                  what would normally be a semi-insane environment. Fun too!

                  One of the surprises was when we got to interact with a
                  great 11 year old kid who's father is one of the real
                  masters of martial arts. This guy is so tough he wears
                  a kilt to a gun show and nobody would dream of making fun
                  of him. And yet he has a wisdom and righteousness that is
                  all too rare. Glad to say that his son seems to be going
                  right along the same path.

                  Anyway, if you're in the area, please stop by and say hello.
                  If you'd like to see some of the newest knives I've made,
                  and that will be on display, they're at the bottom of the
                  web page here: http://www.bobroseknives.com

                  Message 8 of 27 , Sep 7 8:59 AM
                    I'll be displaying my knives this Sat and Sun at
                    the gun show at the Harrisburg PA Farm Show Complex and
                    Expo Center 2300 North Cameron Street Harrisburg, PA 17110
                    I've enjoyed meeting and sharing time and experiences
                    with several of our members there in past shows and
                    look forward to that doing this again. Semi-interesting
                    venue - 800 tables of weapons and ammo... and they
                    serve beer!?!?!?
                    Relative to knife-making, I've been using amazing new materials
                    for the handles on my most recent knives and wonder at
                    the beauty of these man-made high-tech products.
                    They're so nice that one may not even notice the
                    hardly expert level my knife skills demonstrate. It's
                    kind of analogous to how having a loving personality can
                    make you attractive even if visually you're no Brad
                    or Angelina. These knives can be seen at the bottom of
                    my knife site at: http://www.bobroseknives.com
                    Anyway, if you do come, please don't wear some other
                    teams shirts than the Eagles. You know that this could
                    become a distraction from sharing meditation concepts
                    and methods as I might go off on rants about football:)
                    Hope to see you soon!
                    Message 9 of 27 , Sep 9 4:33 PM
                      OK, by semi-popular request, here's a brief report of the
                      gun show. One of the most interesting things was that a forum
                      member and a friend of his have started to make knives
                      and seemingly are walking a similar path as I am relative
                      to finding it at times to precede interesting, pleasant, and
                      unusually informative meditative experiences...
                      IE: They report entering a focus of attention so intense and
                      yet so effortless that a shift in consciousness takes place
                      that they sort of defined as a transcendent level of non-dual
                      attention where one's individual identity melts away and
                      a new awakening reveals an infinite unification with what
                      Gurdjieff labeled "All and Everything". In any event, they
                      still have all their fingers and other body parts, and that
                      itself is a great result of clear meditative focus while
                      using very powerful and potentially dangerous power tools.
                      BTW, as a bonus, their knives looked very good and
                      should prove highly functional. And just like me they report
                      being surprised at having nice knives in their hands appear
                      almost magically when the sparks, smoke, smells, sounds and
                      heat subside.
                      Anyway, thanks to those who came out and shared their
                      wisdom and humor. Much appreciated!

                      Message 10 of 27 , Dec 14, 2012
                        Once again, I'll be displaying my knives and sharing
                        meditation concepts and techniques (the usual combination
                        for a meditation teacher:) at the Philly Gun Show in Oaks PA
                        this weekend, Friday Dec 14 from 4PM to 8PM, Sat 9AM to 5PM, and
                        Sun 9AM to 4PM. Here's where you can get info and a discount coupon:
                        http://www.eaglearmsgunshows.com/oaks-gun-show-philadelphia-expo-center.html
                        There will be about 1,000 tables full of weapons, ammo, and just
                        about anything you can think of that brings about violence and
                        destruction, as well as thousands of people who are anxious to buy
                        these items. And there will also be my table where consciousness
                        evolving methods will be shared (as well as complaining about the
                        Eagles). Many of the knives I have made will be available and with
                        the holidays coming, I expect lots of activity that interrupts our
                        "high" conversations. But this is all part of what life is about...
                        and maintaining a meditative mode in active as well as in passive situations is what a meditative practice should include. And when
                        someone approaches you carrying a machine gun, and has ammo around
                        their neck, to discus how best to use a certain knife, or whatever else is making their mind chatter, it's certainly an excellent opportunity to witness your own chatter, and to apply Self
                        control and maintain your serenity, or to see just when and
                        how you lose it (which might be a more valuable benefit).
                        So it is actually an excellent environment for learning about and experiencing meditation in real life. Hope to see you there!
                        BTW, here's where you can see my knives:
                        http://www.bobroseknives.com
                        Message 11 of 27 , Dec 16, 2012
                          Well, this weekend I spent displaying knives I've made at
                          the Philly Gun Show. 1200 tables full of weapons and their
                          accoutrements and thousands of people there to buy them.
                          Much discussion about the duality of "guns don't kill people,
                          people do" and "if there weren't guns available, there wouldn't
                          be so many killings" Of course there were local TV crews there filming the goings on and promising to be "fair" in their
                          reporting as they focused the cameras on assault rifles and
                          other semi and full automatic weapons. This will be just a
                          small part of the ongoing and now top news discussion.

                          In between actually selling some knives, I spent time
                          discussing meditation with people and even conducted some
                          mindfulness exercises semi-maintaining a Witnessing
                          perspective on whatever was flowing by moment to (what seemed
                          like) another moment. And as is common when in a wordless
                          meditative mode, words appear that (right or wrong) point to
                          "an answer", and here are some that flowed by...

                          I'm guessing that just as there are hundreds of millions of
                          words available to us, and they don't seem to solve anything,
                          there being hundreds of millions of guns and rifles right now
                          in the USA, and they aren't solving anything either, maybe
                          just being conscious is the only real "problem solver".
                          As Gurdjieff put it...
                          "Do not be affected by externals. In themselves they are
                          harmless; it is we who allow ourselves to be hurt by them."

                          (the above is a para-phrase of a post on the Gene's Gulag
                          forum)