Zen and the Art of Knifemaking

    Message 1 of 27 , May 6, 2008
      In the photo section, you will find additions
      to the Zen and the Art of Knifemaking folder;
      pictures 40, 41, 42, and 43. They show a
      dagger that has a Damascus steel blade and an
      Ironwood handle. I think you may agree with the
      general feeling among knife makers that Ironwood
      is the most beautiful wood, and Damascus is the
      most beautiful type of steel. They both are
      fine examples of why I think that nature provides
      the most beautiful art works. While witnessing
      the creation of this knife I was aware that what
      needed to be done by my hands and eyes would be
      conflicted if I let my emotions get involved, and
      similarly I saw that mental chattering would be
      distractive and not helpful. Once a method has
      been programmed into our body and brain, it is best
      to just let it happen. I'm always humbled when I
      see the end result and always get further unable
      to deny the reality that all that happens is "Thy
      will be done" in action. And, that if we in our
      arrogance think that we can "do" anything, it is
      very common for the universe to demonstrate how
      naive an attitude that is. For instance, can you
      be 100% sure that you won't fall on your face when
      you get up from reading this? Well, since I've rid
      myself of thinking I can make knives and have
      accepted that I can just be a tool for their coming
      into being, I've fallen on my face much less often
      when taking part in the knifemaking process. And I've
      found that as St Martha says, "That's a good thing".
    • Aideen McKenna
      Message 2 of 27 , May 6, 2008

        Actually, she says “That’s a Good Thing”.  You can hear the capital letters when she says it.

        Aideen

[...]

        Checked by AVG.

        Checked by AVG.

        Message 3 of 27 , May 7, 2008
          "Aideen McKenna" <aideenmck@...> wrote:

          > Actually, she says "That's a Good Thing". You can hear the capital
          letters
          > when she says it.
          >
          > Aideen

          Yo Aideen,
          You're right - when she speaks, it's often in Caps.
          A small coincidence is that when my wife read the
          post she said that she tought all of the "Thy
          will be done" quote should be in caps. I guess
          all these Higher Power types command special attention!

          5/06/08
          > 5:17 PM

          > Checked by AVG.
          5/06/08

          Message 4 of 27 , Aug 11, 2008
            In the photo section, in the folder "Zen
            and the Art of Knifemaking", you will
            find a new knife that features Mammoth
            tooth handles. As I was witnessing the
            assembly of this knife taking place,
            there was a unique feeling of an ancient
            connection present. The obviousness of
            handling a 30,000 year old object and
            being extra careful to not mess it up
            also brought about a special awareness
            that is hard to label, but can perhaps be
            represented by saying that the usual "just
            witnessing and letting flow whatever may flow"
            attitude had an extra effortless effort
            energy added to it. I just saw an episode
            of "American Dad" last night where the Dad
            had souped up his car so he could drag
            race with it (to impress his wife), and at one
            point he hit a switch that ignited a nitro burst
            that made the car blast off extra quickly.
            And that's sort of how I felt during this
            particular knife making session. It really
            seemed to touch the semi-eternal nature of
            Mother Earth. I can't wait to see what using
            meteorite will feel like!
            The pics are # 45 and 46. And to see many
            more Zen and the Art of Knifemaking blades:
            http://www.bobroseknives.com
            Message 5 of 27 , Sep 25, 2009
              Once again I'll be displaying my knives,
              and like what seems like just very few knife
              makers do, talking about meditation. The show
              is in Easton PA and will be held Sat and
              Sun from 9 to 5. I expect to only be there
              for Sat as there is an Eagles game Sunday and
              I expect to be back home for it. After all,
              I do try not to miss religious events, and
              sometimes there are only 16 of them a year.

              After the show we'll probably be going out to dinner
              with several friends, so if you'll be in the area
              please stop in and say "High!" and maybe join the
              probably somewhat transcendental fun.

              PS: You can see the knives at:
              http://www.bobroseknives.com
              Message 6 of 27 , Sep 26, 2009

                > Once again I'll be displaying my knives,
                > and like what seems like just very few knife
                > makers do, talking about meditation. The show
                > is in Easton PA and will be held Sat and
                > Sun from 9 to 5. I expect to only be there
                > for Sat as there is an Eagles game Sunday and
                > I expect to be back home for it. After all,
                > I do try not to miss religious events, and
                > sometimes there are only 16 of them a year.
                >
                > After the show we'll probably be going out to dinner
                > with several friends, so if you'll be in the area
                > please stop in and say "High!" and maybe join the
                > probably somewhat transcendental fun.
                >
                > Peace and blessings,
                > Bob
                > PS: You can see the knives at:
                > http://www.bobroseknives.com

                Well, we just got back from the show and it
                was very pleasant, fun and interesting. Nice
                people, good conversation, lots of amazing
                knives by some of the most talented makers
                in the world. As is available in every moment,
                lots of new in-sights and out-sights. I also
                was pretty surprised to find right around the
                corner quite a coincidence. There was the Belyea
                Electric Supply Company, and just as Papajeff
                deals with Transformation, they specialize
                in Transformers. Yes, this incarnation is always
                at least semi-interesting!
                Peace and blesings,
                Message 7 of 27 , Nov 20, 2009
                  The 2 latest knives that have appeared have
                  very ancient handle materials. One is from
                  mammoth tooth and is between 15,000 and
                  30,000 years old. The other is fossil coral
                  and is between 1.8 million and 230 million
                  years old.
                  As I worked with them,their antiquity radiated as
                  a sensation beyond just their appearance. Just as
                  when you enter a church or are at a holy place,
                  or in the company of a holy being, saint or
                  newborn, there was a feeling that was far from
                  the same old same old. I felt a connection to the
                  Earth and a unity with all life that has been and
                  is and will be her life's work. Humility and reverence
                  are the closest adjectives to describe the mood
                  that flew through, and still remains. And now the
                  beauty that for some reason was hidden within their
                  environments is now visible and to me is a
                  demonstration of the gifts of love from a sentient
                  universe that are available within and without.
                  I consider it a blessing to be able to spend moments
                  in the company of such simple yet so fantastic
                  creations.
                  PS: I am posting pictures of them in the Photo section
                  in the Zen and the Art of Knifemaking album.
                  Message 8 of 27 , Dec 9, 2011
                    This weekend I'll be displaying my knives
                    http://www.bobroseknives.com
                    at the Harrisburg PA Gun Show.
                    If you feel like sharing meditation concepts,
                    methods and experiences, I'll be glad to
                    spend time with you. This show is really unique
                    even for weapon-addicts. It's the only place I
                    know of where they not only sell weapons and
                    ammo, but where you can also buy and drink beer.
                    Talk about non-conduscive to meditation venues!
                    But in reality, it's a perfect place to put into
                    practice your non-distractability, keeping
                    calm in all situations, and awareness to the test.
                    So stop by and say hello. These days, it's actually
                    a safer environment than some college campuses, and
                    we may even find it to be a good opportunity to
                    evolve in consciousness.

                    Visitor Information
                    LOCATION
                    The show will be held in the Pennsylvania Farm Show Complex & Expo Center, North Cameron and Maclay Streets, Harrisburg, PA.

                    DIRECTIONS

                    TRAVELING WEST ON THE PENNSYLVANIA TURNPIKE:
                    Take Exit 247. Travel north on PA-283, which merges with I-83. Follow I-83 North and merge with I-81 South. Take Exit 67A for Cameron Street off I-81. Follow signs to Spectator or Exhibitor Parking.

                    TRAVELING EAST ON PENNSYLVANIA TURNPIKE:
                    Take Exit 236. Travel north on Route 15 to 581 West. Travel west on 581 and merge onto I-81 North. Follow I-81 North across the Susquehanna River, and then take Exit 67 for Cameron Street off I-81. Follow signs to Spectator or Exhibitor Parking.

                    FROM THE HARRISBURG INTERNATIONAL AIRPORT:
                    Head north on 441 to 283 North. Travel north on PA-283, which merges with I-83. Follow I-83 North and merge with I-81 South. Take Exit 67A for Cameron Street off I-81. Follow signs to Spectator or Exhibitor Parking.

                    FROM THE WEST SHORE/CARLISLE:
                    Take I-81 North to Exit 67A for Cameron Street. Follow signs to Spectator or Exhibitor Parking.

                    FROM DOWNTOWN HARRISBURG:
                    Take Second Street north to the 2100 block and turn right onto Maclay Street. Follow Maclay Street east across the railroad bridge to the traffic light at the Farm Show Building. Turn left onto Cameron Street and travel north. Follow signs to Spectator or Exhibitor Parking.

                    FROM THE NORTH:
                    Take 11/15 South following the Susquehanna River to I-81. Follow I-81 North across the river and take Exit 67A for Cameron Street. Follow signs to Spectator or Exhibitor Parking.

                    FROM THE UPPER DAUPHIN AREA:
                    Take Route 147 South or Route 225 South to Route 322 (River Relief Route). Route 322 becomes Cameron Street after crossing over I-81. Follow signs to Spectator or Exhibitor Parking.

                    FROM HERSHEY:
                    Take Route 322 West to I-83 North and merge with I-81 South. Take Exit 67A for Cameron Street. Follow signs to Spectator or Exhibitor Parking.

                    FROM LANCASTER:
                    Take 283 North towards Harrisburg to I-83 North and merge with I-81 South. Take Exit 67A for Cameron Street. Follow signs to Spectator or Exhibitor Parking.

                    FROM YORK:
                    Take I-83 North across the Susquehanna River. Follow I-83 North and merge with I-81 South. Take Exit 67A for Cameron Street. Follow signs to Spectator or Exhibitor Parking.

                    FROM LEBANON:
                    Take I-81 South towards Harrisburg. Take Exit 67A for Cameron Street. Follow signs to Spectator or Exhibitor Parking.

                    FROM PROGRESS AVE EXIT OFF 81N:
                    Take Exit 69. Merge right with Progress Avenue Traffic. Turn right onto Elmerton Avenue at traffic light. Follow signs to Spectator or Exhibitor Parking.

                    FROM PROGRESS AVE EXIT OFF 81S:
                    Take Exit 69. Turn right at traffic light onto Progress Avenue. At second traffic light turn right onto Elmerton Avenue. Follow signs to Spectator or Exhibitor Parking.
                    Message 9 of 27 , May 4, 2012
                      Once again, I'll be displaying my knives at a gun
                      show this weekend. It's at the Philly Convention Center
                      in Oaks PA. Here's the URL for info.
                      http://www.eaglearms.com/Eaglearmsproductionfullpage.html
                      The last show we were at was one of the "highest" ones we've
                      attended. We had the pleasure of sharing meditation concepts
                      and techniques with several of our members who were there,
                      and it was a very nice experiential demo of transcending
                      what would normally be a semi-insane environment. Fun too!

                      One of the surprises was when we got to interact with a
                      great 11 year old kid who's father is one of the real
                      masters of martial arts. This guy is so tough he wears
                      a kilt to a gun show and nobody would dream of making fun
                      of him. And yet he has a wisdom and righteousness that is
                      all too rare. Glad to say that his son seems to be going
                      right along the same path.

                      Anyway, if you're in the area, please stop by and say hello.
                      If you'd like to see some of the newest knives I've made,
                      and that will be on display, they're at the bottom of the
                      web page here: http://www.bobroseknives.com

                      Message 10 of 27 , Sep 7, 2012
                        I'll be displaying my knives this Sat and Sun at
                        the gun show at the Harrisburg PA Farm Show Complex and
                        Expo Center 2300 North Cameron Street Harrisburg, PA 17110
                        I've enjoyed meeting and sharing time and experiences
                        with several of our members there in past shows and
                        look forward to that doing this again. Semi-interesting
                        venue - 800 tables of weapons and ammo... and they
                        serve beer!?!?!?
                        Relative to knife-making, I've been using amazing new materials
                        for the handles on my most recent knives and wonder at
                        the beauty of these man-made high-tech products.
                        They're so nice that one may not even notice the
                        hardly expert level my knife skills demonstrate. It's
                        kind of analogous to how having a loving personality can
                        make you attractive even if visually you're no Brad
                        or Angelina. These knives can be seen at the bottom of
                        my knife site at: http://www.bobroseknives.com
                        Anyway, if you do come, please don't wear some other
                        teams shirts than the Eagles. You know that this could
                        become a distraction from sharing meditation concepts
                        and methods as I might go off on rants about football:)
                        Hope to see you soon!
                        Message 11 of 27 , Sep 9, 2012
                          OK, by semi-popular request, here's a brief report of the
                          gun show. One of the most interesting things was that a forum
                          member and a friend of his have started to make knives
                          and seemingly are walking a similar path as I am relative
                          to finding it at times to precede interesting, pleasant, and
                          unusually informative meditative experiences...
                          IE: They report entering a focus of attention so intense and
                          yet so effortless that a shift in consciousness takes place
                          that they sort of defined as a transcendent level of non-dual
                          attention where one's individual identity melts away and
                          a new awakening reveals an infinite unification with what
                          Gurdjieff labeled "All and Everything". In any event, they
                          still have all their fingers and other body parts, and that
                          itself is a great result of clear meditative focus while
                          using very powerful and potentially dangerous power tools.
                          BTW, as a bonus, their knives looked very good and
                          should prove highly functional. And just like me they report
                          being surprised at having nice knives in their hands appear
                          almost magically when the sparks, smoke, smells, sounds and
                          heat subside.
                          Anyway, thanks to those who came out and shared their
                          wisdom and humor. Much appreciated!

                          Message 12 of 27 , Dec 14, 2012
                            Once again, I'll be displaying my knives and sharing
                            meditation concepts and techniques (the usual combination
                            for a meditation teacher:) at the Philly Gun Show in Oaks PA
                            this weekend, Friday Dec 14 from 4PM to 8PM, Sat 9AM to 5PM, and
                            Sun 9AM to 4PM. Here's where you can get info and a discount coupon:
                            http://www.eaglearmsgunshows.com/oaks-gun-show-philadelphia-expo-center.html
                            There will be about 1,000 tables full of weapons, ammo, and just
                            about anything you can think of that brings about violence and
                            destruction, as well as thousands of people who are anxious to buy
                            these items. And there will also be my table where consciousness
                            evolving methods will be shared (as well as complaining about the
                            Eagles). Many of the knives I have made will be available and with
                            the holidays coming, I expect lots of activity that interrupts our
                            "high" conversations. But this is all part of what life is about...
                            and maintaining a meditative mode in active as well as in passive situations is what a meditative practice should include. And when
                            someone approaches you carrying a machine gun, and has ammo around
                            their neck, to discus how best to use a certain knife, or whatever else is making their mind chatter, it's certainly an excellent opportunity to witness your own chatter, and to apply Self
                            control and maintain your serenity, or to see just when and
                            how you lose it (which might be a more valuable benefit).
                            So it is actually an excellent environment for learning about and experiencing meditation in real life. Hope to see you there!
                            BTW, here's where you can see my knives:
                            http://www.bobroseknives.com
                            Message 13 of 27 , Dec 16, 2012
                              Well, this weekend I spent displaying knives I've made at
                              the Philly Gun Show. 1200 tables full of weapons and their
                              accoutrements and thousands of people there to buy them.
                              Much discussion about the duality of "guns don't kill people,
                              people do" and "if there weren't guns available, there wouldn't
                              be so many killings" Of course there were local TV crews there filming the goings on and promising to be "fair" in their
                              reporting as they focused the cameras on assault rifles and
                              other semi and full automatic weapons. This will be just a
                              small part of the ongoing and now top news discussion.

                              In between actually selling some knives, I spent time
                              discussing meditation with people and even conducted some
                              mindfulness exercises semi-maintaining a Witnessing
                              perspective on whatever was flowing by moment to (what seemed
                              like) another moment. And as is common when in a wordless
                              meditative mode, words appear that (right or wrong) point to
                              "an answer", and here are some that flowed by...

                              I'm guessing that just as there are hundreds of millions of
                              words available to us, and they don't seem to solve anything,
                              there being hundreds of millions of guns and rifles right now
                              in the USA, and they aren't solving anything either, maybe
                              just being conscious is the only real "problem solver".
                              As Gurdjieff put it...
                              "Do not be affected by externals. In themselves they are
                              harmless; it is we who allow ourselves to be hurt by them."

                              (the above is a para-phrase of a post on the Gene's Gulag
                              forum)