Re: [Meditation Society of America] Re: THE SAGE'S VIEW

  • Athanor
    Message 1 of 8 , Jan 1, 2003
      Understanding is experiential! How do you understand than, Judi? i guess that everyone has experiences... at least everyone alive .. :-) and judi, if the ego is not the ground, than what is it? what are you standing on?
      what's wrong with Sarlo?
      mirela

      > understanding is experiential.

      ****** Wrong again! Understanding is non-experiential.
      Ever heard the term "non-duality"? Well there you have it.

      > Semantic hair-splitting
      > just to be an antagonist
      > is your tiresome game.

      ******** It's not hair-splitting Jeff, it's just the way it is.
      You're splitting yourself off as the "haver" of experience.
      Into good and bad experience, which is true for you, but not for me,
      I see all experience for what it is. Therein lies the difference.

      > And speaking of place, this
      > really isn't the place for this,
      > but I'm tired of stepping
      > in your smelly bullshit
      > everywhere I go...and I want
      > a shoot out, Rocky.
      >
      > Go ahead and run back to the ranch.
      > I'll be on your trail. I don't
      > like your style, but I grew
      > up with people who walked it
      > and talked it, and I'm willing
      > and able to stand my ground
      > against your bluster, buster.

      ****** Take another look, you have no "ground" to stand on.
      Or more to the point, your "ground" is your own ego.

      ******** Yes, we're "boring" as hell. :-)

      > They didn't scare me off, my
      > side was hurting from laughing
      > at their naivety, pompous parroting,
      > and pitiful pandering to you.
      > You talk about others wanting fawning
      > disciples.

      ***** There's no such "fawning" going on.

      What do you have at

      ****** Well, you're right there. Got plenty of nothing. :-)

      ***** Not true, you just didn't like the answers you got.

      > You, I challenge to duel...
      > Hot-Air filled Cream puffs
      > at 50 paces. That's about
      > all you got other than
      > a bundt pan.
      >
      > Still reading?...
      >
      > On July 21, 1975 at about
      > 9:30am my life changed, a
      > door opened. It was not a flash,
      > not a la la la moment, it was a
      > permanent shift of identity,
      > a new awareness of a reality
      > that I had been separated
      > from - a separate reality -
      > until known, a new overriding
      > current running through my every
      > conscious moment from that
      > moment on. And it was and is
      > blissful, peaceful beyond
      > understanding, and full of joy.
      > Still is.Doesn't mean I don't have
      > a bold and bad-ass ego, or
      > that I run from a scrap.
      >
      > Not all sages are milquetoasts,
      > the best of them have been
      > known to fashion a whip and
      > crack a few heads.
      >
      > Whatever I choose to call
      > my awakening experience
      > cannot be negated by your
      > constant carping. Its wasted.
      > The person who entered
      > the meditation center,
      > after 24 years of seeking,
      > never left. He ceased to exit.
      > (Sound familiar?)
      >
      > So you don't subscribe to
      > the Boddisattva vow? I do.
      > I took it. I honor it.

      ******* I chuckle. :-) LOL You are too funny Jeff!
      What the hell you honoring? LOL Don't be ridiculous.
      Give it a rest. :-)

      Judi

      Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

    • Jeff Belyea <jeff@mindgoal.com>
      Message 2 of 8 , Jan 2, 2003
        Mirela -

        How old would you
        be if you didn't
        know how old you
        were?

        Love,

        Jeff
      • Gregory Goode
        Message 3 of 8 , Jan 2, 2003
          The understanding is not experiential - whatever experience you can think of - understanding is "in back of it." If understanding *were* experiential (and I don't mean understanding how to fill out one's tax form), then it would be just another whiff that comes and goes.

          It's like when I learned that there's no Santa Claus. I can trace the event back to a certain point in chronological time (sneaking downstairs one Christmas eve and seeing my parents wrap the presents. They talked about they'd make the bike be from Santa...). But what was left was not a mental image constantly remembered and rehearsed ("There is no Santa, there is no Santa).

          No, it's more the dissolving of the notion that there *is* a Santa. Not having that notion is not an experience....

          So if you're looking for an experience, then get ready to look for the cessation of that experience too!

          Love,

          --Greg

        • judirhodes <judirhodes@zianet.com>
          Message 4 of 8 , Jan 2, 2003
            --- In meditationsocietyofamerica@yahoogroups.com, Gregory Goode
            <goode@d...> wrote:
            > The understanding is not experiential - whatever experience you can
            think of - understanding is "in back of it." If understanding *were*
            experiential (and I don't mean understanding how to fill out one's
            tax form), then it would be just another whiff that comes and goes.

            ********** Exactly, and people chase sprituality like it's a goddaman
            orgasm. Understanding transcends (in back of) the whole "chase"
            business itself. Orgasms come, orgasms go, spritual experiences
            come, spriitual experiences go - so much the worse for it! :-) Ha-ha!

            Judi

          • texasbg2000 <Bigbobgraham@aol.com>
            Message 5 of 8 , Jan 2, 2003
              Hi Greg:

              That is a great example, it cuts through the mud. However it seems
              to me the word understand can mean either an experience or not.

              If one means to know something then that is not experience. Knowing
              is construed as consciousness in this sense which is pure and
              attributeless.

              If one means to have understanding dawn then it is. The dissolving
              of a fantasy could be considered as an event/experience or not
              depending on your understanding of the word.

              I think timeline has something to do with it. Take the distraction
              of sloth. It can keep me from meditating tonight. It can also be
              considered a personality trait that limits my life's goals. These
              two ways of looking at the same word while similar are still.
              different.

              Love
              Bobby G.

              Message 6 of 8 , Jan 2, 2003
                dear Greg,
                when you realised that there is no Santa, it was an experiential understanding.. (you have watched your parents-experience)
                mirela

                Message 7 of 8 , Jan 2, 2003
                  Dear Mirela,

                  You're right -- that moment *was* an experience. I saw my parents do the stuff they attributed to Santa Claus, and the jig was up. That bit of seeing on my part was a definite experience in time and place, and came to an end.

                  But that's not what I'm talking about. I'm talking about what was had dissolved. The belief in Santa Claus had dissolved. I didn't acquire a NEW belief to be rehearsed and practiced ("There is no Santa Claus"). Rather, it was the non-occurrence of the (mythical) experience of Santa Claus.

                  That's one reason that the nondual path is sometimes called the "Via Negativa." It's not additive, it's subtractive.

                  Love,

                  --Greg