Re:Often Overlooked Meditative Times

  • Benjamin Buehne
    Message 1 of 3 , Apr 19, 2008
      I actually find a great time to meditate is...
      a.  Just before leaving the car to go to work
      b.  Lunchtime

      I have posted on here before that I struggled to find a balance between work and meditation.  It takes some degree of self motivation to wake earlier and give yourself some extra time or pre-prepare a lunch so you have time.

      I don't like the idea of doing it at the end or beginning of the day because it allows for stressors to start rolling through your mind over and over, and also stress hormones to build up.  Think of it like eating... you want to take preventative measures so you don't get hungry rather than waiting and needing to eat immediately.

      Message 2 of 3 , Apr 19, 2008
        Benjamin Buehne <benbuehne@...> wrote:

        > I actually find a great time to meditate is...
        > a. Just before leaving the car to go to work
        > b. Lunchtime
        >
        > I have posted on here before that I struggled to find a balance
        between work and meditation. It takes some degree of self motivation
        to wake earlier and give yourself some extra time or pre-prepare a
        lunch so you have time.

        > I don't like the idea of doing it at the end or beginning of the day
        because it allows for stressors to start rolling through your mind
        over and over, and also stress hormones to build up. Think of it like
        eating... you want to take preventative measures so you don't get
        hungry rather than waiting and needing to eat immediately.

        Yo Ben,
        I see it almost exactly the reverse of what you
        have described. Starting the day by "programing"
        your mind, emotions, and body to be as stress-less
        as possible doesn't give your inner chatterer a
        chance to allow "...stressers to start rolling
        through your mind over and over, and also stress
        hormones to build up". And to compare it to
        eating I would say that it is like washing and
        appropriately preparing the foods so that the
        meal can be easily digested and as nourishing
        and delicious as possible.