The Bhagavad Gita 7

  • westwindwood2003
    Message 1 of 28 , Mar 23, 2008
      Swerve Not From Duty 31 to 37

      31. One is born into the class of people that fight for
      righteousness, and nothing is higher that this duty, so look at not
      to waver.

      32. It has happened at this time that the gift of enlightenment is
      apparent; O partha of the fighting class, go into this battle.

      33. But if you avoid this righteous warfare that is you fame, your
      duty, abandonment shall incur sin.

      34. Your dishonor will be told about by the honored and this
      everlastingly so and exceeds the pain of death

      35. Other warriors who have experienced enlightenment and currently
      hold you in high esteem will decide you are a light weigh for
      withdrawing from the battle for the spiritual.

      36. Belittling words are to be spoken and many will say your enemies
      will criticize your petty power. What could be more painful than
      this?

      37. In death you will gain heaven; victorious you will enjoy the
      earth. Therefore Arjuna, be resolved to fight.
    • sandeep chatterjee
      Message 2 of 28 , Mar 23, 2008
        Thus spake Osama to the new Al Queda recruits.

        westwindwood2003 wrote:
        > Swerve Not From Duty 31 to 37
        > 31. One is born into the class of people that fight for
        > righteousness, and nothing is higher that this duty, so look at not
        > to waver.
        > 32. It has happened at this time that the gift of enlightenment is
        > apparent; O partha of the fighting class, go into this battle.
        > 33. But if you avoid this righteous warfare that is you fame, your
        > duty, abandonment shall incur sin.
        > 34. Your dishonor will be told about by the honored and this
        > everlastingly so and exceeds the pain of death
        > 35. Other warriors who have experienced enlightenment and currently
        > hold you in high esteem will decide you are a light weigh for
        > withdrawing from the battle for the spiritual.
        > 36. Belittling words are to be spoken and many will say your enemies
        > will criticize your petty power. What could be more painful than
        > this?
        > 37. In death you will gain heaven; victorious you will enjoy the
        > earth. Therefore Arjuna, be resolved to fight.

      • sean tremblay
        Message 3 of 28 , Mar 23, 2008
          And has been the rallying battle cry of all commanders
          to the troops of all nations who make war!
          In the context of Ajuna's reluctance in a military
          sense, this is something I myself have struggled with.
          I learned my trade i the US Army and my Darma is to
          explore, ever sense I was a boy I have had an
          insatiable curiosity. However in the context of
          soldiering I was always at odds I am realy an
          anarchist at heart with a didain for authority and a
          dislike of possesing authority over others yet.... I
          find the military in some form or other keeps creeping
          it's way back into my life!? A karmic cycle I must
          break? purhaps or Something I must give into?!
          --- sandeep chatterjee <sandeep1960@...> wrote:

          > Thus spake Osama to the new Al Queda recruits.
          >
          > westwindwood2003 wrote:
          > > Swerve Not From Duty 31 to 37
          > > 31. One is born into the class of people that
          > fight for
          > > righteousness, and nothing is higher that this
          > duty, so look at not
          > > to waver.
          > > 32. It has happened at this time that the gift of
          > enlightenment is
          > > apparent; O partha of the fighting class, go into
          > this battle.
          > > 33. But if you avoid this righteous warfare that
          > is you fame, your
          > > duty, abandonment shall incur sin.
          > > 34. Your dishonor will be told about by the
          > honored and this
          > > everlastingly so and exceeds the pain of death
          > > 35. Other warriors who have experienced
          > enlightenment and currently
          > > hold you in high esteem will decide you are a
          > light weigh for
          > > withdrawing from the battle for the spiritual.
          > > 36. Belittling words are to be spoken and many
          > will say your enemies
          > > will criticize your petty power. What could be
          > more painful than
          > > this?
          > > 37. In death you will gain heaven; victorious you
          > will enjoy the
          > > earth. Therefore Arjuna, be resolved to fight.

          http://www.yahoo.com/r/hs
        • Jeff Belyea
          Message 4 of 28 , Mar 23, 2008
            Sean -

            Krisna's advice to Arjuna is
            in the context of consciousness.
            The battleground is the mind
            and the concepts that the illusory
            and secondary identity (ego)
            finds so precious.

            Enlightenment - in one aspect, the
            victory over ego attachments - reveals
            a primary identity that has absolute
            clarity and no unanswered questions
            ...nothing to resolve...perfect peace
            of mind and utter tranquility.

            Jeff

            ______________
            > http://www.yahoo.com/r/hs

          • sean tremblay
            Message 5 of 28 , Mar 23, 2008
              yep, I understand it both ways
              --- Jeff Belyea <jeff@...> wrote:

              > Sean -
              >
              > Krisna's advice to Arjuna is
              > in the context of consciousness.
              > The battleground is the mind
              > and the concepts that the illusory
              > and secondary identity (ego)
              > finds so precious.
              >
              > Enlightenment - in one aspect, the
              > victory over ego attachments - reveals
              > a primary identity that has absolute
              > clarity and no unanswered questions
              > ...nothing to resolve...perfect peace
              > of mind and utter tranquility.
              >
              > Jeff

              > sean tremblay
              > <bethjams9@...> wrote:
              > >
              > > And has been the rallying battle cry of all
              > commanders
              > > to the troops of all nations who make war!
              > > In the context of Ajuna's reluctance in a military
              > > sense, this is something I myself have struggled
              > with.
              > > I learned my trade i the US Army and my Darma is
              > > explore, ever sense I was a boy I have had an
              > > insatiable curiosity. However in the context of
              > > soldiering I was always at odds I am realy an
              > > anarchist at heart with a didain for authority and
              > > dislike of possesing authority over others yet....
              > > find the military in some form or other keeps
              > creeping
              > > it's way back into my life!? A karmic cycle I must
              > > break? purhaps or Something I must give into?!
              > > --- sandeep chatterjee <sandeep1960@...> wrote:
              > >
              > > > Thus spake Osama to the new Al Queda recruits.

              > > > fight for
              > > > duty, so look at not
              > of
              > > > enlightenment is
              > into
              > > > this battle.
              > that
              > > > is you fame, your
              > > > honored and this

              > > > enlightenment and currently
              > > > light weigh for

              > > > will say your enemies
              > be
              > > > more painful than
              > you
              > > > will enjoy the
              > fight.

              > ______________
              > > http://www.yahoo.com/r/hs

              http://www.yahoo.com/r/hs
            • sean tremblay
              Message 6 of 28 , Mar 23, 2008
                to bad that idea didn't make to the guys with the
                ammonium nitrate.
                I do realize that the most violent segments of any
                religion realy are a minority. Was it Socrates who
                said there have always coexisted two religions one for
                the masses and one for the initiate? any way it was
                one of the great greeks

                http://www.yahoo.com/r/hs
              • Bruce Morgen
                Message 7 of 28 , Mar 23, 2008

                  sean tremblay wrote:
                  > yep, I understand it both ways
                  > --- Jeff Belyea <jeff@...> wrote:
                  >

                  >> Sean -
                  >>
                  >> Krisna's advice to Arjuna is
                  >> in the context of consciousness.
                  >> The battleground is the mind
                  >> and the concepts that the illusory
                  >> and secondary identity (ego)
                  >> finds so precious.
                  >>
                  >> Enlightenment - in one aspect, the
                  >> victory over ego attachments - reveals
                  >> a primary identity that has absolute
                  >> clarity and no unanswered questions
                  >> ...nothing to resolve...perfect peace
                  >> of mind and utter tranquility.
                  >>
                  >> Jeff
                  >>

                  >> --- In meditationsocietyofamerica@yahoogroups.com,
                  >> sean tremblay
                  >> <bethjams9@...> wrote:
                  >>
                  >>> And has been the rallying battle cry of all
                  >>>
                  >> commanders
                  >>
                  >>> to the troops of all nations who make war!
                  >>> In the context of Ajuna's reluctance in a military
                  >>> sense, this is something I myself have struggled
                  >>>
                  >> with.
                  >>
                  >>> I learned my trade i the US Army and my Darma is

                  >>> explore, ever sense I was a boy I have had an
                  >>> insatiable curiosity. However in the context of
                  >>> soldiering I was always at odds I am realy an
                  >>> anarchist at heart with a didain for authority and

                  >>> dislike of possesing authority over others yet....

                  >>> find the military in some form or other keeps
                  >>>
                  >> creeping
                  >>
                  >>> it's way back into my life!? A karmic cycle I must
                  >>> break? purhaps or Something I must give into?!

                  >> of

                  >> into

                  >> that

                  >> be

                  >> you

                  >> fight.

                • westwindwood2003
                  Message 8 of 28 , Mar 30, 2008
                    38. Engage yourself in this battle where pain and pleasure, gain and
                    loss, victory and defeat matter not. You incur no sin because all
                    these pairs are released (let go of) in this battle for wisdom (right
                    behavior).

                    When you experience enlightenment, knowledge of how you should
                    conduct your affairs is presented to you in meditation; you offer up
                    the positive and negative feelings that have surfaced in meditation
                    and ask for guidance. Your desire for a particular outcome is
                    totally let go of and the insight of how you should proceed is given
                    to you.

                    39. Listen up Arjuna; taking up the yoke of Yoga means absolutely
                    adhering to the Wisdom the yoga presents to you, and in doing so, the
                    bondage of karma shall be removed.

                    You will follow a wisdom not found in your own personality, something
                    much better than your nature, and you will be changed for the better.

                    40. In this most feeble of efforts there is no production of
                    unfortunate results, even with uneven application, this duty protects
                    against great fear.

                    It has been a while since I started meditation, but I remember.
                    Meditation was such a feeble tentative effort because of my karma, my
                    condition. However, I was urged to continue by a wise person, and a
                    tiny start was all it took; it was a beginning with good results. I
                    did have great fear because I was so out of my comfort zone; having
                    what I thought was control of my destiny (hah, what an illusion that
                    is with all the self induced pain). So I worked on cultivating the
                    relationship (I was uneven in the application because I LIKED the
                    familiarity of my nature) with that Wisdom I had found, and with the
                    procedure of doing meditation came calmness, the determination to do
                    the right thing in giving up my karmic tendencies because life was
                    better that way. The fear left soon on, but the propensities still
                    persisted for many years and required much work.

                    41. One pointed determination is the destiny of Arjuna (Oh the joy of
                    the Kurus is he) because there is always a single answer for any
                    specific problem. There is but one decision for a problem since he
                    has taken to the spiritual battlefield. The mind not centered on the
                    spiritual has much recourse, and multiple choices to resolve, but
                    nothing becomes fixed as a solution.

                    The wisdom in meditation is always consistent (you present the same
                    problem again, and you get the same answer again), the answer hurts
                    no one, and is really hard to do the new behavior to change the
                    personality (and work out karma). The intellectual mind thinks of
                    many solutions to a problem, which to choose? The emotional mind can
                    be in chaos with all the feelings that surface, but the feelings come
                    to one point with enough meditation, and then come the offering up of
                    the issue to receive the wisdom on how to proceed.
                  • westwindwood2003
                    Message 9 of 28 , Apr 6, 2008
                      --- In meditationsocietyofamerica@yahoogroups.com, "westwindwood2003"
                      <westwindwood2003@...> wrote:

                      > Chapter I
                      > The Bhagavad Gita, which I shall call the Gita hereafter has been
                      > called the Bible of India. The setting of the Gita is a
                      battlefield
                      > where Sri Krishna has promised to help both sides. There are two
                      > choices; one side gets the wherewithal of earthly endeavors while
                      > Krishna offers to place his unarmed self on the other side. Arjuna
                      > is first and chooses Krishna, and Duryodhana is relieved because he
                      > gets all the resources of the world. So, the armies gather on the
                      > field where previous religious sacrifices have made the battlefield
                      > spiritual place. When Duryodhana sees the army Arjuna is part of,
                      he
                      > notes strong warriors, but states he also has the same on his side
                      > and so states to his preceptor, a Brahman who has also taught
                      archery
                      > to some of those in the army associated with Arjuna. Duryodhana
                      then
                      > goes on to brag about how huge his army is and how meager the
                      other,
                      > but uses words that can also mean huge and disorganized, thrown
                      > together willy-nilly, compared to compact and well disciplined.
                      Lots
                      > of horn blowing commences on both sides, then Arjuna asks Krishna
                      > place the war chariot between the armies so that he can have a look
                      > at the enemy and then sees relatives on both sides. Arjuna falters
                      in
                      > his resolution to fight. The Gita is allegorical so Arjuna is
                      really
                      > faced with going for the spiritual approach to life and he has to
                      > decide. The spiritual against the human condition with its
                      enjoyment
                      > and pleasures and all his relatives in the army of Duryodhana as
                      part
                      > of that human condition is the choice. Arjuna thinks it would be a
                      > sin to slay these miscreants, but the next few verses go on to say
                      > how nasty these folks really are and how impiety would corrupt
                      family
                      > life if they were allowed to win. Overwhelmed with sorrow for the
                      > coming fight, Arjuna puts down his weapons.
                      >
                      > Chapter II
                      > Arjuna is overcome with compassion, distress and tears; and needs
                      > help. The Lord now speaks for the first time in the Gita and at
                      this
                      > point the real Gita proper is initiated with a statement of the
                      > fundamental message: Arjuna, do not be without strength and yield
                      > weakness of the heart. Stand up oh scorcher of foes. So Arjuna
                      says:
                      > Lord who is slayer of foes, how can I attack the people in the
                      > opposition who are worthy of worship, one who is verily the
                      > embodiment of chastity and self denial, and the other a man of
                      right
                      > conduct who was my teacher? Wealth and desires of this world would
                      > be tainted with blood. Which is best I do not know, they
                      conquering
                      > us or we them. After slaying them we should not care to live.
                      With
                      > nature overpowered by taint of pity, with mind in confusion about
                      > duty, decisively say what I should do as I am your disciple and You
                      > my refuge. This is significant because before this Arjuna was
                      > concerned about pleasant things, learning, wealth, culture, wives,
                      > progeny, kingdom. Now, he has reoriented to want what is good and
                      > this is a prerequisite for enlightenment. Arjuna says: Nothing I
                      see
                      > would remove grief that dries up my senses, even if I have the most
                      > prosperous kingdom and dominion over the celestials.
                      >
                      > Now a minister to the king whose army is fighting against the army
                      > Arjuna is in has the temporary ability to tell all of the foregoing
                      > to the king even though remote from the battlefield. The minister
                      now
                      > goes on to describe Arjuna as not wanting to fight; however, Arjuna
                      > is one who can control the need for sleep, and this signifies he
                      has
                      > some level of attainment with matters of meditation, and therefore
                      he
                      > is bound to make the correct choice. Arjuna is unlikely to call
                      off
                      > the war although the king wishes he would do so.
                      >
                      > Hrishikesa (Krishna) smiles and now speaks the words to the
                      > despondent one between the two armies.
                      >
                      > Those who should not be grieved for, you have grieved for, although
                      > you have words of wisdom. For the dead, the living, the wise
                      grieve
                      > not. Here Arjuna does not possess the first characteristic of a
                      > Yogi, the integration of thought, speech and action and he is
                      warned
                      > about loosing yoga. Bodies come and go, but the Atman exists both
                      > past and future. The soul in this body experiences childhood, youth
                      > and old age, then moves to another body. The enlightened know this
                      > and death is OK.
                      >
                      > (Chapter II to be continued later)

                    • westwindwood2003
                      Message 10 of 28 , Jun 3, 2008
                        A little background first. Prakriti or the phenomenal universe is
                        delineated in the Vedic teaching. The Vedas identify the phenomenal
                        universe so completely that the phenomenal and Vedas are considered
                        the same essence. The three Gunas are Sattva, Rajas and Tamas and
                        constitute the Vedas. Sattva is an illumination shining forth from
                        the individual through knowledge, Rajas characteristics are greed and
                        selfish activities and Tamas inactivity, delusion, recklessness and
                        darkness. The three Gunas compete with each other, create unbalance,
                        and cause the propagation of the phenomenal universe.

                        What does one then do? The Key is Yoga. In other words, do your
                        meditation, offer up the work that is yours, perform the prescribed
                        duty revealed to you and do not desire results one way or the other,
                        just do the requested action found in meditation. In this way you
                        will not be a producer of karma. The Gita states:

                        45. Deal with the three attributes, the Vedas. Be without these three
                        attributes Oh Arjuna, free from the pairs of opposites, ever remaining
                        in the Sattva (goodness) free from (the thought of) material
                        acquisition and preservation, established in the self.

                        46. In this work, the only right thing for you is not desire the
                        fruits of your effort. Also at any time, do not let this not wanting
                        fruits of action be the motive because in not having your attachment
                        you would let there be an inaction.

                        Yoga eventually takes a person beyond the three Gunas so that even
                        Sattva eventually fades as all is worked out.

                        48. Steadfast in yoga, perform attachment abandonment, Oh Dhananjaya,
                        in success and failure be the same as yoga is called having an
                        evenness of mind.

                        However, this can only be attained by meditation. It is not attained
                        by act of willpower as the goings on are the doings of the Lord
                        speaking within and the one who meditates is in the position of a
                        willing servant. Just do it.
                      • westwindwood2003
                        Message 11 of 28 , Jun 5, 2008
                          49. Action not directed by yoga is by far most
                          inferior. Oh Dhananjaya, the self-seekers,
                          those taking advantage of opportunities without
                          regard for the consequences, have a wretched
                          existence.

                          The unaware person lives their life seeking
                          pleasure, trying to get head. Perhaps something
                          happens, some calamity or maybe it is just a
                          realization that life is not right. There is
                          religion to turn to, religious works and teachers.
                          Ultimately though, there is the complete giving
                          over to God, a total offering up of what one is
                          striving for spiritually and seeking guidance in
                          deep meditation, a discovery through yoga of
                          the path to resolution of it all.

                          50. With meditation comes a calmness of mind,
                          tranquility. Also, there is wisdom that comes
                          showing the actions, the feelings even, that
                          needs to be acted upon to grow. There is
                          perfection in this life following this path.
                          Devote yourself to yoga. Good and evil deeds,
                          how do I know which is which? Pursuing
                          either should eventually cease. But, it will take
                          decades to evolve through it all because it is
                          hard to change ones personality.

                          Intellectually we have a feeling for what is
                          right and wrong, but this is action not directed
                          by yoga and is inferior. For instance, I may
                          help someone and that seems right to me;
                          however, I might be keeping that person from
                          discovering the path because they may not
                          realize life needs working on. If I do not help
                          them when I easily can do so, that might seem
                          wrong. The answer to the proper action is
                          revealed in meditation.

                          51. The wise, those who meditate, let go of the
                          desire, lets answers come when no ego
                          intervenes, discerns proper action and go
                          beyond evil, eventually evolving into the nature
                          that frees them from being bound to birthing
                          again.
                        • westwindwood2003
                          Message 12 of 28 , Jun 6, 2008
                            What happens to a yogi? These are active
                            and passive. The following is passive
                            because it just happens without effort.

                            51. When understanding from your practice
                            comes, intellectual delusion is bypassed.
                            You are indifferent to what others said in the
                            past and what you shall hear in the future.

                            This just happens automatically because of
                            the immediate (in this very instant)
                            Guidance. That Guidance is all there is; the
                            intellect is inactive.

                            52. Your intellect analyzes what others say
                            and you can be confused by the many
                            options. The yogi; however, can stand
                            immovable in the Self with steady
                            understanding of the course of action
                            needed.
                            Message 13 of 28 , Jun 7, 2008
                              "westwindwood2003" <westwindwood2003@...> wrote:

                              > What happens to a yogi? These are active
                              > and passive. The following is passive
                              > because it just happens without effort.
                              >
                              > 51. When understanding from your practice
                              > comes, intellectual delusion is bypassed.
                              > You are indifferent to what others said in the
                              > past and what you shall hear in the future.
                              >
                              > This just happens automatically because of
                              > the immediate (in this very instant)
                              > Guidance. That Guidance is all there is; the
                              > intellect is inactive.
                              >
                              > 52. Your intellect analyzes what others say
                              > and you can be confused by the many
                              > options. The yogi; however, can stand
                              > immovable in the Self with steady
                              > understanding of the course of action
                              > needed.

                              Yo Westwindwood,
                              This and the previous Gita posting are,
                              as usual, very great pointings. I like
                              the term Guidance (with the capital G) as
                              we often see "Grace" used similarly, but
                              with the term Guidance we also get the
                              concept that a definitive understanding
                              takes place that transcends the mind's usual
                              "it could be like this, or it could be
                              like that" tendency. This allows the "Thy
                              will be done" reality to take us over (and
                              inner) and we then automatically let events
                              of our life proceed as they may without
                              any inner chattering that commonly brings
                              us negativity (takes our peace away). And
                              of course, we all are "Yogi's" in spite of
                              whatever masks cover this true identity.
                              So these wise teaching apply to all of us.
                              Thanks again for sharing.
                            • westwindwood2003
                              Message 14 of 28 , Jun 7, 2008
                                I cannot take very much credit. The book I am using gives a word for
                                word translation from the Sanskrit. The word order takes a little
                                getting used to and sometimes the English words that are chosen by the
                                author have several definitions and the author sometime uses the more
                                obscure definition, so I find I have to use a dictionary some to get
                                the real meaning. What I then do is try and relate that word for word
                                English translation to my own meditation experience so that I can
                                express that translation in a way that is more understandable I hope.
                                What I find wonderful about the Gita is here are these words that in
                                a condensed kind of way outlines the spiritual experience, like
                                lecture notes that a teacher can expand on. Since I meditate myself,
                                I feel that I can do the subject some justice, but I sometimes wonder
                                if there might be better words than the ones I use.
                                --- In meditationsocietyofamerica@yahoogroups.com, medit8ionsociety .

                                > Yo Westwindwood,
                                > This and the previous Gita posting are,
                                > as usual, very great pointings. I like
                                > the term Guidance (with the capital G) as
                                > we often see "Grace" used similarly, but
                                > with the term Guidance we also get the
                                > concept that a definitive understanding
                                > takes place that transcends the mind's usual
                                > "it could be like this, or it could be
                                > like that" tendency. This allows the "Thy
                                > will be done" reality to take us over (and
                                > inner) and we then automatically let events
                                > of our life proceed as they may without
                                > any inner chattering that commonly brings
                                > us negativity (takes our peace away). And
                                > of course, we all are "Yogi's" in spite of
                                > whatever masks cover this true identity.
                                > So these wise teaching apply to all of us.
                                > Thanks again for sharing.
                                > Peace and blessings,
                                > Bob

                              • suman sk
                                Message 15 of 28 , Jun 8, 2008

                                  Thanks for continued posting on the wisdom of Geeta.

                                  I read it everyday and find a wonderful insight into the true learning.

                                  It is a science in itself but only for the beleiver.

                                  Om and God bless all of us

                                  Surendra K

                                  I cannot take very much credit. The book I am using gives a word for
                                  word translation from the Sanskrit. The word order takes a little
                                  getting used to and sometimes the English words that are chosen by the
                                  author have several definitions and the author sometime uses the more
                                  obscure definition, so I find I have to use a dictionary some to get
                                  the real meaning. What I then do is try and relate that word for word
                                  English translation to my own meditation experience so that I can
                                  express that translation in a way that is more understandable I hope.
                                  What I find wonderful about the Gita is here are these words that in
                                  a condensed kind of way outlines the spiritual experience, like
                                  lecture notes that a teacher can expand on. Since I meditate myself,
                                  I feel that I can do the subject some justice, but I sometimes wonder
                                  if there might be better words than the ones I use.
                                  --- In meditationsocietyof america@yahoogro ups.com, medit8ionsociety .

                                  > Yo Westwindwood,
                                  > This and the previous Gita posting are,
                                  > as usual, very great pointings. I like
                                  > the term Guidance (with the capital G) as
                                  > we often see "Grace" used similarly, but
                                  > with the term Guidance we also get the
                                  > concept that a definitive understanding
                                  > takes place that transcends the mind's usual
                                  > "it could be like this, or it could be
                                  > like that" tendency. This allows the "Thy
                                  > will be done" reality to take us over (and
                                  > inner) and we then automatically let events
                                  > of our life proceed as they may without
                                  > any inner chattering that commonly brings
                                  > us negativity (takes our peace away). And
                                  > of course, we all are "Yogi's" in spite of
                                  > whatever masks cover this true identity.
                                  > So these wise teaching apply to all of us.
                                  > Thanks again for sharing.
                                  > Peace and blessings,
                                  > Bob

                                • WestWindWood
                                  Message 16 of 28 , Jun 9, 2008
                                    54. Arjuna asks a question about the
                                    qualities (steady of disposition,
                                    consistent in vision) of a sage, (who
                                    has merged with the Creator, the
                                    nature of that which underlies all
                                    existence).

                                    The sage, merged into the Creator
                                    beyond the normal conscious state,
                                    we could say in deep meditation,
                                    experiences the qualities of the
                                    Creator.  The sage has, over may
                                    years of evolution, taken these
                                    experiences and incorporated in him,
                                    through proper action and behavior,
                                    the qualities of the Creator so that
                                    the sage became Self.

                                    This seems like A LOT OF HARD
                                    WORK! But in reality, it is just a
                                    giving up of all those qualities of
                                    personality that are not of the divine
                                    nature.  It seems an agony at the
                                    time, but is nothing looking back,
                                    and why was that I clung to so
                                    important anyway, but it was.

                                    55. Sri Bhagavan (Krishna) said:
                                    All desires of the mind (of ones very
                                    heart) are cast off, Oh Partha, by
                                    becoming the Self by working with
                                    the Self in steady wisdom.

                                    Contact with the Self in meditation
                                    brings a steady wisdom, Oh what to
                                    do about my present situation and
                                    how am I going to work this out,
                                    God's will be done, and so it goes
                                    with an answer coming to me so that
                                    I become more the Self by practicing
                                    proper behavior and letting the Self
                                    emerge in place of the misguided
                                    personality that I have begun with.

                                    56. The mind is unshaken in
                                    adversity, and in pleasure, there is no
                                    latching onto and wanting to retain.
                                    Free from attachment, fear and anger
                                    is the sage poised in wisdom.

                                    The wisdom found in meditation
                                    allows the sage these characteristics.
                                    This is just something that happens,
                                    a symptom, not something that the
                                    sage tries to grasp and become, it just
                                    happens because one meditates.

                                  • aideenmck
                                    Message 17 of 28 , Jun 11, 2008
                                      Belated thanks for these posts helping us to understand the Bhagavad
                                      Gita, about which I was almost totally ignorant. Recently, I've been
                                      reading Ram Dass's "Paths to God: Living the Bhagavad Gita" - it,
                                      too, is a revelation. Also reading Rumi's poetry, the Coleman Barks
                                      translation. And meeting Theravadin monks, listening to their dharma
                                      talks. Sometimes I feel as if I'm perceiving everything for the
                                      first time. (Where have I been?)
                                      Aideen

                                      Message 18 of 28 , Jun 14, 2008
                                        I do not know Sanskrit and so I know