RE: [Meditation Society of America] Re: Answers to Unanswerable Questions By Swami Sivananda

  • Aideen McKenna
    Message 1 of 10 , Mar 14, 2008

      Or maybe the world is perfect & we mistakenly perceive it as crappy because we can’t see the big picture?  The ancient Hebrews thought there was once a Garden of Eden i.e. a Golden Age before their time.  Don’t people always tend to think that “things used to be better back when”?  Jane Goodall was saddened to see that after many years of living with and studying apes, she was witness to an all-out war between two large groups who apparently perceived themselves as distinct tribes.  She would not have believed it possible unless she’d seen it with her own eyes.  It wasn’t a sudden flare-up of anger, it was a real war, involving preparation.  Maybe there’s an evolutionary step happening in that forest?

      Just my turn to think out loud, Sean.

      Aideen

      Message 2 of 10 , Mar 14, 2008
        "Jeff Belyea" <jeff@...> wrote:

        > <no_reply@> wrote:
        > >
        > > When and why has God created the world ?
        > > Why were we created and put to this miserable and pitiable plight ?
        > > How did Avidya (ignorance) arise in us ?
        > > When did Karma begin ?
        > > How could Avidya (ignorance) or Maya exist in the Supreme Absolute
        > Light ?
        > > Why did the formless assume forms ?
        > > Why is there evil in this world ?
        > >
        > > Questions like these are Ati-prasna or
        > > transcendental queries - for which you
        > > will not get an answer even if you rack
        > > your brain for million of years. Answers
        > > to these questions cannot be understood
        > > with your intellect. You can understand
        > > it only with your intuition.

        Large snip

        > Thanks, Bob. Really enjoyed
        > this reminder.
        >
        > Jeff

        Yo Papajeff,
        I posted this having again recently run
        into a common response I find when people
        just begin their meditation practice. As an
        example, they may come to meditation after
        their physician recommends it as a beneficial
        part of their quest to effectively improve
        their health, but soon find that they are gaining
        insights they have never before pondered. And
        before you know it, they are deep into asking
        ultimate (and "unanswerable") questions of life.
        But, as it is said, you have to have an empty
        cup before it can fill with anything else, and
        letting your mind go overboard with these type
        questions, and trying to find answers, only
        serves to further crowd the cup with what is
        already filling it, which Kir Li Molari has
        so aptly cited as "Words! Words! Words!". So,
        as is often the case, Swami Sivananda has
        given good pointers as to how to handle this
        common situation. But that isn't surprising
        as he was able to summarize his 350+ books
        of spiritual instruction with just 4 words...
        "Be good. Do good." And that leaves plenty of
        room in ones cup for real wisdom to fill it up.
        Message 3 of 10 , Mar 14, 2008
          "Aideen McKenna" <aideenmck@...> wrote:

          > Or maybe the world is perfect & we mistakenly
          perceive it as crappy because we can't see the
          big picture? The ancient Hebrews thought there
          was once a Garden of Eden i.e. a Golden Age before
          their time. Don't people always tend to think that
          "things used to be better back when"? Jane Goodall was
          saddened to see that after many years of living
          with and studying apes, she was witness to an
          all-out war between two large groups who apparently
          perceived themselves as distinct tribes.
          She would not have believed it possible unless
          she'd seen it with her own eyes. It wasn't a sudden
          flare-up of anger, it was a real war, involving
          preparation. Maybe there's an evolutionary step
          happening in that forest?

          > Just my turn to think out loud, Sean.
          >
          > Aideen

          Yo Aideen,
          I hadn't heard about the "war" and would like to know
          more about it. If you could point to a site where it's
          discussed, I'd appreciate it. As you point out, maybe this
          is an evolutionary event we're witnessing. Perhaps soon
          we may also see humans evolve past the "war" stage.
          Peace and blessings,
          Bob _____

          "mailto:meditationsocietyofamerica%40yahoogroups.com"meditationsocietyof-ame
          > rica@..., medit8ionsociety
          > <no_reply@> wrote:
          > >
          > > When and why has God created the world ?
          > > Why were we created and put to this miserable and pitiable plight ?
          > > How did Avidya (ignorance) arise in us ?
          > > When did Karma begin ?
          > > How could Avidya (ignorance) or Maya exist in the Supreme Absolute
          > Light ?
          > > Why did the formless assume forms ?
          > > Why is there evil in this world ?
          > >
          > > Questions like these are Ati-prasna or
          > > transcendental queries - for which you
          > > will not get an answer even if you rack
          > > your brain for million of years. Answers
          > > to these questions cannot be understood
          > > with your intellect. You can understand
          > > it only with your intuition.
          > >
          > > It involves the understanding of the Ultimate
          > > Principle, the Intelligence that is behind
          > > and beyond these questions, the Cause of all
          > > causes, the Subject of all objects. It cannot
          > > be known as object. And, when the subject
          > > (Self or Atman) knows Itself, speech and
          > > thought cease. The questioner and question
          > > vanish in the quest. The doubt disappears in
          > > the doubter. In that Supreme Silence, the problem
          > > is inexpressibly solved! The riddle is solved;
          > > but speech is baffled - and the question remains
          > > unanswerable.
          > >
          > > If a small son questions his father, "Papa, how
          > > did you procreate me ?", what answer will Papa
          > > give ? He will simply say, "Wait. When you become
          > > a man, you will understand this point". This is
          > > exactly the case with new aspirants in whom the
          > > Light is trying to shine forth. Do not put the
          > > cart before the horse. Don't bother about why
          > > creation came into being, but try to know the
          > > Creator! Take creation for what it is and try to
          > > transcend it. This is wisdom. Trying to probe
          > > intellectually into the mystery is only buying
          > > psychological distress.
          > >
          > > There is no 'Why ?' in respect of transcendental
          > > matters. 'Why ?' is only for worldly things. Reason
          > > is finite and frail. God only knows the 'Why ?'.
          > > Realize the Atma. Then you will get the answers.
          > > Then you will know the origin and nature of EVERYTHING.
          > >
          > > At the present moment, apply yourself to solid
          > > Sadhana (spiritual practices) in earnestness
          > > and remove Mala (impurities like lust, greed,
          > > hatred, anger, jealousy, etc.), Vikshepa (the
          > > tossing of mind) and Avarana (veil of ignorance).
          > > Do not enter into vain discussions and arguments
          > > on such matters.
          > >

          > Thanks, Bob. Really enjoyed
          > this reminder.
          >
          > Jeff
          >

          > _____

          HYPERLINK

          "http://us.rd.yahoo.com/evt=51733/*http:/mobile.yahoo.com/;_ylt=Ahu06i62sR8H
          > DtDypao8Wcj9tAcJ%20"Try it now.

          > Checked by AVG.
          > 1:41 PM

          > Checked by AVG.
          > 1:41 PM

        • Aideen McKenna
          Message 4 of 10 , Mar 14, 2008

            I found this just now – not as large a slaughter as I remembered from the 1970s, but enough, & it went on for 4 years, which I’d forgotten.

            http://www.mc.maricopa.edu/dept/d10/asb/anthro2003/origins/goodall.html

            > Or maybe the world is perfect & we mistakenly
            perceive it as crappy because we can't see the
            big picture? The ancient Hebrews thought there
            was once a Garden of Eden i.e. a Golden Age before
            their time. Don't people always tend to think that
            "things used to be better back when"? Jane Goodall was
            saddened to see that after many years of living
            with and studying apes, she was witness to an
            all-out war between two large groups who apparently
            perceived themselves as distinct tribes.
            She would not have believed it possible unless
            she'd seen it with her own eyes. It wasn't a sudden
            flare-up of anger, it was a real war, involving
            preparation. Maybe there's an evolutionary step
            happening in that forest?

            > Just my turn to think out loud, Sean.
            >
            > Aideen

            Yo Aideen,
            I hadn't heard about the "war" and would like to know
            more about it. If you could point to a site where it's
            discussed, I'd appreciate it. As you point out, maybe this
            is an evolutionary event we're witnessing. Perhaps soon
            we may also see humans evolve past the "war" stage.
            Peace and blessings,
            Bob _____

            > From: meditationsocietyof america@yahoogro ups.com
            w:st="on">America ] Re: Answers to Unanswerable

            Checked by AVG.

            Checked by AVG.

            Message 5 of 10 , Mar 14, 2008
              --- In meditationsocietyofamerica@yahoogroups.com, "Aideen McKenna"

              "http://www.mc.maricopa.edu/dept/d10/asb/anthro2003/origins/goodall.html"htt
              > p://www.mc.maricopa.edu/dept/d10/asb/anthro2003/origins/goodall.html

              Amazing! I had no idea that chimps had the potential
              to be just as savage as we are. I don't want to be
              judgmental, but (unfortunately?!) they still have a long
              way to go until they match what goes on in Philly
              every day! And that's why the need to get Meditation
              In Education, is the #1 hope and project of the Meditation
              Society of America.
              > _____

              3/11/08
              > > 1:41 PM

              > > Checked by AVG.
              3/11/08
              > > 1:41 PM

              > Checked by AVG.
              > 1:41 PM

              > Checked by AVG.
              > 1:41 PM

            • Balasubramanian Radhakrishnan Kumar
              Message 6 of 10 , Mar 14, 2008
                One must find out who he is, before he enquires about God and the world - Bhagavan Ramana Maharishi
                ________________________________

              • sean tremblay
                Message 7 of 10 , Mar 15, 2008
                  Aideen,
                  I I agree completely
                  I often wondered what the origin of war is, It seems
                  that we and our closest cousins the Chimps are the few
                  animals that wage war for territory, The question is
                  is it Instict on a hard wired evolutionary sense or is
                  it instinct on a softer social evolutionary sense.
                  Did it serve a genuine survival purpose or not, I
                  could go on for hours pondering WAR. There is a
                  common mythology of a golden time when humanity was in
                  sync. And most have a sort of FALL from grace as it
                  were. AS Jesus said the kingdom of heaven if upon
                  you. So it is as you said percieving the Eden we
                  dwell in and I supose when we lift our blinders there
                  will no longer be any conflict. But before I can fully
                  understand a world at peace I have to overcome the
                  urge to drop an obnox on the seat of his pants.
                  Please excuse the typos
                  I have a new computer I am learning to navigate

                  Looking for last minute shopping deals?