Answers to Unanswerable Questions By Swami Sivananda

    Message 1 of 10 , Mar 13 1:29 PM
      When and why has God created the world ?
      Why were we created and put to this miserable and pitiable plight ?
      How did Avidya (ignorance) arise in us ?
      When did Karma begin ?
      How could Avidya (ignorance) or Maya exist in the Supreme Absolute Light ?
      Why did the formless assume forms ?
      Why is there evil in this world ?

      Questions like these are Ati-prasna or
      transcendental queries - for which you
      will not get an answer even if you rack
      your brain for million of years. Answers
      to these questions cannot be understood
      with your intellect. You can understand
      it only with your intuition.

      It involves the understanding of the Ultimate
      Principle, the Intelligence that is behind
      and beyond these questions, the Cause of all
      causes, the Subject of all objects. It cannot
      be known as object. And, when the subject
      (Self or Atman) knows Itself, speech and
      thought cease. The questioner and question
      vanish in the quest. The doubt disappears in
      the doubter. In that Supreme Silence, the problem
      is inexpressibly solved! The riddle is solved;
      but speech is baffled - and the question remains
      unanswerable.

      If a small son questions his father, "Papa, how
      did you procreate me ?", what answer will Papa
      give ? He will simply say, "Wait. When you become
      a man, you will understand this point". This is
      exactly the case with new aspirants in whom the
      Light is trying to shine forth. Do not put the
      cart before the horse. Don't bother about why
      creation came into being, but try to know the
      Creator! Take creation for what it is and try to
      transcend it. This is wisdom. Trying to probe
      intellectually into the mystery is only buying
      psychological distress.

      There is no 'Why ?' in respect of transcendental
      matters. 'Why ?' is only for worldly things. Reason
      is finite and frail. God only knows the 'Why ?'.
      Realize the Atma. Then you will get the answers.
      Then you will know the origin and nature of EVERYTHING.

      At the present moment, apply yourself to solid
      Sadhana (spiritual practices) in earnestness
      and remove Mala (impurities like lust, greed,
      hatred, anger, jealousy, etc.), Vikshepa (the
      tossing of mind) and Avarana (veil of ignorance).
      Do not enter into vain discussions and arguments
      on such matters.
    • Jeff Belyea
      Message 2 of 10 , Mar 14 4:04 AM
        <no_reply@...> wrote:

        > When and why has God created the world ?
        > Why were we created and put to this miserable and pitiable plight ?
        > How did Avidya (ignorance) arise in us ?
        > When did Karma begin ?
        > How could Avidya (ignorance) or Maya exist in the Supreme Absolute
        Light ?
        > Why did the formless assume forms ?
        > Why is there evil in this world ?
        >
        > Questions like these are Ati-prasna or
        > transcendental queries - for which you
        > will not get an answer even if you rack
        > your brain for million of years. Answers
        > to these questions cannot be understood
        > with your intellect. You can understand
        > it only with your intuition.
        >
        > It involves the understanding of the Ultimate
        > Principle, the Intelligence that is behind
        > and beyond these questions, the Cause of all
        > causes, the Subject of all objects. It cannot
        > be known as object. And, when the subject
        > (Self or Atman) knows Itself, speech and
        > thought cease. The questioner and question
        > vanish in the quest. The doubt disappears in
        > the doubter. In that Supreme Silence, the problem
        > is inexpressibly solved! The riddle is solved;
        > but speech is baffled - and the question remains
        > unanswerable.
        >
        > If a small son questions his father, "Papa, how
        > did you procreate me ?", what answer will Papa
        > give ? He will simply say, "Wait. When you become
        > a man, you will understand this point". This is
        > exactly the case with new aspirants in whom the
        > Light is trying to shine forth. Do not put the
        > cart before the horse. Don't bother about why
        > creation came into being, but try to know the
        > Creator! Take creation for what it is and try to
        > transcend it. This is wisdom. Trying to probe
        > intellectually into the mystery is only buying
        > psychological distress.
        >
        > There is no 'Why ?' in respect of transcendental
        > matters. 'Why ?' is only for worldly things. Reason
        > is finite and frail. God only knows the 'Why ?'.
        > Realize the Atma. Then you will get the answers.
        > Then you will know the origin and nature of EVERYTHING.
        >
        > At the present moment, apply yourself to solid
        > Sadhana (spiritual practices) in earnestness
        > and remove Mala (impurities like lust, greed,
        > hatred, anger, jealousy, etc.), Vikshepa (the
        > tossing of mind) and Avarana (veil of ignorance).
        > Do not enter into vain discussions and arguments
        > on such matters.

        Thanks, Bob. Really enjoyed
        this reminder.

        Jeff
      • sean tremblay
        Message 3 of 10 , Mar 14 4:16 AM
          As to the question of Karma and when did it arise?  I like the parable of Adem and Eve.  When they ate of the tree of knowlege of good and evil, they became aware of thier nakedness ect.  Which says to me at that point humanity a a species became "Self aware" from that point they had to leave the "Garden of Eden" a blissfull state of unity, and from that moment on we have had to "Toil" or struggle with Karmic actions and wiegh the "Good" against the "Bad". This struggle causes pain and disapointment.  I do believe that we were brought into a perfect world made crappy by thoughts actions and false perceptions.
          Just my humble take on Stuff.

          Jeff Belyea <jeff@...> wrote:
          --- In meditationsocietyof america@yahoogro ups.com, medit8ionsociety
          <no_reply@.. .> wrote:

          > When and why has God created the world ?
          > Why were we created and put to this miserable and pitiable plight ?
          > How did Avidya (ignorance) arise in us ?
          > When did Karma begin ?
          > How could Avidya (ignorance) or Maya exist in the Supreme Absolute
          Light ?
          > Why did the formless assume forms ?
          > Why is there evil in this world ?
          >
          > Questions like these are Ati-prasna or
          > transcendental queries - for which you
          > will not get an answer even if you rack
          > your brain for million of years. Answers
          > to these questions cannot be understood
          > with your intellect. You can understand
          > it only with your intuition.
          >
          > It involves the understanding of the Ultimate
          > Principle, the Intelligence that is behind
          > and beyond these questions, the Cause of all
          > causes, the Subject of all objects. It cannot
          > be known as object. And, when the subject
          > (Self or Atman) knows Itself, speech and
          > thought cease. The questioner and question
          > vanish in the quest. The doubt disappears in
          > the doubter. In that Supreme Silence, the problem
          > is inexpressibly solved! The riddle is solved;
          > but speech is baffled - and the question remains
          > unanswerable.
          >
          > If a small son questions his father, "Papa, how
          > did you procreate me ?", what answer will Papa
          > give ? He will simply say, "Wait. When you become
          > a man, you will understand this point". This is
          > exactly the case with new aspirants in whom the
          > Light is trying to shine forth. Do not put the
          > cart before the horse. Don't bother about why
          > creation came into being, but try to know the
          > Creator! Take creation for what it is and try to
          > transcend it. This is wisdom. Trying to probe
          > intellectually into the mystery is only buying
          > psychological distress.
          >
          > There is no 'Why ?' in respect of transcendental
          > matters. 'Why ?' is only for worldly things. Reason
          > is finite and frail. God only knows the 'Why ?'.
          > Realize the Atma. Then you will get the answers.
          > Then you will know the origin and nature of EVERYTHING.
          >
          > At the present moment, apply yourself to solid
          > Sadhana (spiritual practices) in earnestness
          > and remove Mala (impurities like lust, greed,
          > hatred, anger, jealousy, etc.), Vikshepa (the
          > tossing of mind) and Avarana (veil of ignorance).
          > Do not enter into vain discussions and arguments
          > on such matters.

          Thanks, Bob. Really enjoyed
          this reminder.

          Jeff

        • Aideen McKenna
          Message 4 of 10 , Mar 14 8:15 AM

            Or maybe the world is perfect & we mistakenly perceive it as crappy because we can’t see the big picture?  The ancient Hebrews thought there was once a Garden of Eden i.e. a Golden Age before their time.  Don’t people always tend to think that “things used to be better back when”?  Jane Goodall was saddened to see that after many years of living with and studying apes, she was witness to an all-out war between two large groups who apparently perceived themselves as distinct tribes.  She would not have believed it possible unless she’d seen it with her own eyes.  It wasn’t a sudden flare-up of anger, it was a real war, involving preparation.  Maybe there’s an evolutionary step happening in that forest?

            Just my turn to think out loud, Sean.

            Aideen

            <no_reply@.. .> wrote:

            > When and why has God created the world ?
            > Why were we created and put to this miserable and pitiable plight ?
            > How did Avidya (ignorance) arise in us ?
            > When did Karma begin ?
            > How could Avidya (ignorance) or Maya exist in the Supreme Absolute
            Light ?
            > Why did the formless assume forms ?
            > Why is there evil in this world ?
            >
            > Questions like these are Ati-prasna or
            > transcendental queries - for which you
            > will not get an answer even if you rack
            > your brain for million of years. Answers
            > to these questions cannot be understood
            > with your intellect. You can understand
            > it only with your intuition.
            >
            > It involves the understanding of the Ultimate
            > Principle, the Intelligence that is behind
            > and beyond these questions, the Cause of all
            > causes, the Subject of all objects. It cannot
            > be known as object. And, when the subject
            > (Self or Atman) knows Itself, speech and
            > thought cease. The questioner and question
            > vanish in the quest. The doubt disappears in
            > the doubter. In that Supreme Silence, the problem
            > is inexpressibly solved! The riddle is solved;
            > but speech is baffled - and the question remains
            > unanswerable.
            >
            > If a small son questions his father, "Papa, how
            > did you procreate me ?", what answer will Papa
            > give ? He will simply say, "Wait. When you become
            > a man, you will understand this point". This is
            > exactly the case with new aspirants in whom the
            > Light is trying to shine forth. Do not put the
            > cart before the horse. Don't bother about why
            > creation came into being, but try to know the
            > Creator! Take creation for what it is and try to
            > transcend it. This is wisdom. Trying to probe
            > intellectually into the mystery is only buying
            > psychological distress.
            >
            > There is no 'Why ?' in respect of transcendental
            > matters. 'Why ?' is only for worldly things. Reason
            > is finite and frail. God only knows the 'Why ?'.
            > Realize the Atma. Then you will get the answers.
            > Then you will know the origin and nature of EVERYTHING.
            >
            > At the present moment, apply yourself to solid
            > Sadhana (spiritual practices) in earnestness
            > and remove Mala (impurities like lust, greed,
            > hatred, anger, jealousy, etc.), Vikshepa (the
            > tossing of mind) and Avarana (veil of ignorance).
            > Do not enter into vain discussions and arguments
            > on such matters.

            Thanks, Bob. Really enjoyed
            this reminder.

            Jeff

            Checked by AVG.

            Checked by AVG.

            Message 5 of 10 , Mar 14 5:33 PM
              "Jeff Belyea" <jeff@...> wrote:

              > <no_reply@> wrote:
              > >
              > > When and why has God created the world ?
              > > Why were we created and put to this miserable and pitiable plight ?
              > > How did Avidya (ignorance) arise in us ?
              > > When did Karma begin ?
              > > How could Avidya (ignorance) or Maya exist in the Supreme Absolute
              > Light ?
              > > Why did the formless assume forms ?
              > > Why is there evil in this world ?
              > >
              > > Questions like these are Ati-prasna or
              > > transcendental queries - for which you
              > > will not get an answer even if you rack
              > > your brain for million of years. Answers
              > > to these questions cannot be understood
              > > with your intellect. You can understand
              > > it only with your intuition.

              Large snip

              > Thanks, Bob. Really enjoyed
              > this reminder.
              >
              > Jeff

              Yo Papajeff,
              I posted this having again recently run
              into a common response I find when people
              just begin their meditation practice. As an
              example, they may come to meditation after
              their physician recommends it as a beneficial
              part of their quest to effectively improve
              their health, but soon find that they are gaining
              insights they have never before pondered. And
              before you know it, they are deep into asking
              ultimate (and "unanswerable") questions of life.
              But, as it is said, you have to have an empty
              cup before it can fill with anything else, and
              letting your mind go overboard with these type
              questions, and trying to find answers, only
              serves to further crowd the cup with what is
              already filling it, which Kir Li Molari has
              so aptly cited as "Words! Words! Words!". So,
              as is often the case, Swami Sivananda has
              given good pointers as to how to handle this
              common situation. But that isn't surprising
              as he was able to summarize his 350+ books
              of spiritual instruction with just 4 words...
              "Be good. Do good." And that leaves plenty of
              room in ones cup for real wisdom to fill it up.
              Message 6 of 10 , Mar 14 5:45 PM
                "Aideen McKenna" <aideenmck@...> wrote:

                > Or maybe the world is perfect & we mistakenly
                perceive it as crappy because we can't see the
                big picture? The ancient Hebrews thought there
                was once a Garden of Eden i.e. a Golden Age before
                their time. Don't people always tend to think that
                "things used to be better back when"? Jane Goodall was
                saddened to see that after many years of living
                with and studying apes, she was witness to an
                all-out war between two large groups who apparently
                perceived themselves as distinct tribes.
                She would not have believed it possible unless
                she'd seen it with her own eyes. It wasn't a sudden
                flare-up of anger, it was a real war, involving
                preparation. Maybe there's an evolutionary step
                happening in that forest?

                > Just my turn to think out loud, Sean.
                >
                > Aideen

                Yo Aideen,
                I hadn't heard about the "war" and would like to know
                more about it. If you could point to a site where it's
                discussed, I'd appreciate it. As you point out, maybe this
                is an evolutionary event we're witnessing. Perhaps soon
                we may also see humans evolve past the "war" stage.
                Peace and blessings,
                Bob _____

                "mailto:meditationsocietyofamerica%40yahoogroups.com"meditationsocietyof-ame
                > rica@..., medit8ionsociety
                > <no_reply@> wrote:
                > >
                > > When and why has God created the world ?
                > > Why were we created and put to this miserable and pitiable plight ?
                > > How did Avidya (ignorance) arise in us ?
                > > When did Karma begin ?
                > > How could Avidya (ignorance) or Maya exist in the Supreme Absolute
                > Light ?
                > > Why did the formless assume forms ?
                > > Why is there evil in this world ?
                > >
                > > Questions like these are Ati-prasna or
                > > transcendental queries - for which you
                > > will not get an answer even if you rack
                > > your brain for million of years. Answers
                > > to these questions cannot be understood
                > > with your intellect. You can understand
                > > it only with your intuition.
                > >
                > > It involves the understanding of the Ultimate
                > > Principle, the Intelligence that is behind
                > > and beyond these questions, the Cause of all
                > > causes, the Subject of all objects. It cannot
                > > be known as object. And, when the subject
                > > (Self or Atman) knows Itself, speech and
                > > thought cease. The questioner and question
                > > vanish in the quest. The doubt disappears in
                > > the doubter. In that Supreme Silence, the problem
                > > is inexpressibly solved! The riddle is solved;
                > > but speech is baffled - and the question remains
                > > unanswerable.
                > >
                > > If a small son questions his father, "Papa, how
                > > did you procreate me ?", what answer will Papa
                > > give ? He will simply say, "Wait. When you become
                > > a man, you will understand this point". This is
                > > exactly the case with new aspirants in whom the
                > > Light is trying to shine forth. Do not put the
                > > cart before the horse. Don't bother about why
                > > creation came into being, but try to know the
                > > Creator! Take creation for what it is and try to
                > > transcend it. This is wisdom. Trying to probe
                > > intellectually into the mystery is only buying
                > > psychological distress.
                > >
                > > There is no 'Why ?' in respect of transcendental
                > > matters. 'Why ?' is only for worldly things. Reason
                > > is finite and frail. God only knows the 'Why ?'.
                > > Realize the Atma. Then you will get the answers.
                > > Then you will know the origin and nature of EVERYTHING.
                > >
                > > At the present moment, apply yourself to solid
                > > Sadhana (spiritual practices) in earnestness
                > > and remove Mala (impurities like lust, greed,
                > > hatred, anger, jealousy, etc.), Vikshepa (the
                > > tossing of mind) and Avarana (veil of ignorance).
                > > Do not enter into vain discussions and arguments
                > > on such matters.
                > >

                > Thanks, Bob. Really enjoyed
                > this reminder.
                >
                > Jeff
                >

                > _____

                HYPERLINK

                "http://us.rd.yahoo.com/evt=51733/*http:/mobile.yahoo.com/;_ylt=Ahu06i62sR8H
                > DtDypao8Wcj9tAcJ%20"Try it now.

                > Checked by AVG.
                > 1:41 PM

                > Checked by AVG.
                > 1:41 PM

              • Aideen McKenna
                Message 7 of 10 , Mar 14 5:57 PM

                  I found this just now – not as large a slaughter as I remembered from the 1970s, but enough, & it went on for 4 years, which I’d forgotten.

                  http://www.mc.maricopa.edu/dept/d10/asb/anthro2003/origins/goodall.html

                  > Or maybe the world is perfect & we mistakenly
                  perceive it as crappy because we can't see the
                  big picture? The ancient Hebrews thought there
                  was once a Garden of Eden i.e. a Golden Age before
                  their time. Don't people always tend to think that
                  "things used to be better back when"? Jane Goodall was
                  saddened to see that after many years of living
                  with and studying apes, she was witness to an
                  all-out war between two large groups who apparently
                  perceived themselves as distinct tribes.
                  She would not have believed it possible unless
                  she'd seen it with her own eyes. It wasn't a sudden
                  flare-up of anger, it was a real war, involving
                  preparation. Maybe there's an evolutionary step
                  happening in that forest?

                  > Just my turn to think out loud, Sean.
                  >
                  > Aideen

                  Yo Aideen,
                  I hadn't heard about the "war" and would like to know
                  more about it. If you could point to a site where it's
                  discussed, I'd appreciate it. As you point out, maybe this
                  is an evolutionary event we're witnessing. Perhaps soon
                  we may also see humans evolve past the "war" stage.
                  Peace and blessings,
                  Bob _____

                  > From: meditationsocietyof america@yahoogro ups.com
                  w:st="on">America ] Re: Answers to Unanswerable

                  Checked by AVG.

                  Checked by AVG.

                  Message 8 of 10 , Mar 14 8:06 PM
                    --- In meditationsocietyofamerica@yahoogroups.com, "Aideen McKenna"

                    "http://www.mc.maricopa.edu/dept/d10/asb/anthro2003/origins/goodall.html"htt
                    > p://www.mc.maricopa.edu/dept/d10/asb/anthro2003/origins/goodall.html

                    Amazing! I had no idea that chimps had the potential
                    to be just as savage as we are. I don't want to be
                    judgmental, but (unfortunately?!) they still have a long
                    way to go until they match what goes on in Philly
                    every day! And that's why the need to get Meditation
                    In Education, is the #1 hope and project of the Meditation
                    Society of America.
                    > _____

                    3/11/08
                    > > 1:41 PM

                    > > Checked by AVG.
                    3/11/08
                    > > 1:41 PM

                    > Checked by AVG.
                    > 1:41 PM

                    > Checked by AVG.
                    > 1:41 PM

                  • Balasubramanian Radhakrishnan Kumar
                    Message 9 of 10 , Mar 14 8:53 PM
                      One must find out who he is, before he enquires about God and the world - Bhagavan Ramana Maharishi
                      ________________________________

                    • sean tremblay
                      Message 10 of 10 , Mar 15 9:10 AM
                        Aideen,
                        I I agree completely
                        I often wondered what the origin of war is, It seems
                        that we and our closest cousins the Chimps are the few
                        animals that wage war for territory, The question is
                        is it Instict on a hard wired evolutionary sense or is
                        it instinct on a softer social evolutionary sense.
                        Did it serve a genuine survival purpose or not, I
                        could go on for hours pondering WAR. There is a
                        common mythology of a golden time when humanity was in
                        sync. And most have a sort of FALL from grace as it
                        were. AS Jesus said the kingdom of heaven if upon
                        you. So it is as you said percieving the Eden we
                        dwell in and I supose when we lift our blinders there
                        will no longer be any conflict. But before I can fully
                        understand a world at peace I have to overcome the
                        urge to drop an obnox on the seat of his pants.
                        Please excuse the typos
                        I have a new computer I am learning to navigate

                        Looking for last minute shopping deals?