Re: The Bhagavad Gita

  • jogeshwarmahanta
    Message 1 of 28 , Mar 8 9:41 PM
      Geeta appears in Bhishma parva of Mahabhararat. Arjun Plunged into
      depression and Lord Krishna counselled him to recover. It is a great
      document on management.It is about higher mental processes and a
      dialogue between Arjun and Lord Krishna. Much before that Arjun had
      learnt ethics from Brihaspati, the guru of gods. So the Geeta is
      beyond the comprehension of common man. Here the objective was to
      recover a great warrior from depression.

      After Mahabharat war Yudhisthir plunged into much worse
      condition. Lord Krishna led him to Bhishma who was in Sarasajaya
      then.Shanti parva and Anushashan parva is a very long dialogue
      between Bhishma and Yudhisdhir. Other brothers were audience. Shanti
      parva is the largest parva in Mahabharat. The two parvas cover
      counselling on every aspect of life including administration.

      So please go through Shanti parva and Anushashana parva. I am sure
      you will enjoy and enrich youself beyond your expectation.
      regards

      --- In
      meditationsocietyofamerica@yahoogroups.com, "westwindwood2003"
      <westwindwood2003@...> wrote:

      > Chapter I
      > The Bhagavad Gita, which I shall call the Gita hereafter has been
      > called the Bible of India. The setting of the Gita is a
      battlefield
      > where Sri Krishna has promised to help both sides. There are two
      > choices; one side gets the wherewithal of earthly endeavors while
      > Krishna offers to place his unarmed self on the other side.
      Arjuna
      > is first and chooses Krishna, and Duryodhana is relieved because
      he
      > gets all the resources of the world. So, the armies gather on the
      > field where previous religious sacrifices have made the
      battlefield a
      > spiritual place. When Duryodhana sees the army Arjuna is part of,
      he
      > notes strong warriors, but states he also has the same on his side
      > and so states to his preceptor, a Brahman who has also taught
      archery
      > to some of those in the army associated with Arjuna. Duryodhana
      then
      > goes on to brag about how huge his army is and how meager the
      other,
      > but uses words that can also mean huge and disorganized, thrown
      > together willy-nilly, compared to compact and well disciplined.
      Lots
      > of horn blowing commences on both sides, then Arjuna asks Krishna
      > place the war chariot between the armies so that he can have a
      look
      > at the enemy and then sees relatives on both sides. Arjuna falters
      in
      > his resolution to fight. The Gita is allegorical so Arjuna is
      really
      > faced with going for the spiritual approach to life and he has to
      > decide. The spiritual against the human condition with its
      enjoyment
      > and pleasures and all his relatives in the army of Duryodhana as
      part
      > of that human condition is the choice. Arjuna thinks it would be
      > sin to slay these miscreants, but the next few verses go on to say
      > how nasty these folks really are and how impiety would corrupt
      family
      > life if they were allowed to win. Overwhelmed with sorrow for the
      > coming fight, Arjuna puts down his weapons.
      >
      > Chapter II
      > Arjuna is overcome with compassion, distress and tears; and needs
      > help. The Lord now speaks for the first time in the Gita and at
      this
      > point the real Gita proper is initiated with a statement of the
      > fundamental message: Arjuna, do not be without strength and yield
      > weakness of the heart. Stand up oh scorcher of foes. So Arjuna
      says:
      > Lord who is slayer of foes, how can I attack the people in the
      > opposition who are worthy of worship, one who is verily the
      > embodiment of chastity and self denial, and the other a man of
      right
      > conduct who was my teacher? Wealth and desires of this world
      would
      > be tainted with blood. Which is best I do not know, they
      conquering
      > us or we them. After slaying them we should not care to live.
      With
      > nature overpowered by taint of pity, with mind in confusion about
      > duty, decisively say what I should do as I am your disciple and
      You
      > my refuge. This is significant because before this Arjuna was
      > concerned about pleasant things, learning, wealth, culture, wives,
      > progeny, kingdom. Now, he has reoriented to want what is good and
      > this is a prerequisite for enlightenment. Arjuna says: Nothing I
      see
      > would remove grief that dries up my senses, even if I have the
      most
      > prosperous kingdom and dominion over the celestials.
      >
      > Now a minister to the king whose army is fighting against the army
      > Arjuna is in has the temporary ability to tell all of the
      foregoing
      > to the king even though remote from the battlefield. The minister
      now
      > goes on to describe Arjuna as not wanting to fight; however,
      Arjuna
      > is one who can control the need for sleep, and this signifies he
      has
      > some level of attainment with matters of meditation, and therefore
      he
      > is bound to make the correct choice. Arjuna is unlikely to call
      off
      > the war although the king wishes he would do so.
      >
      > Hrishikesa (Krishna) smiles and now speaks the words to the
      > despondent one between the two armies.
      >
      > Those who should not be grieved for, you have grieved for,
      although
      > you have words of wisdom. For the dead, the living, the wise
      grieve
      > not. Here Arjuna does not possess the first characteristic of a
      > Yogi, the integration of thought, speech and action and he is
      warned
      > about loosing yoga. Bodies come and go, but the Atman exists both
      > past and future. The soul in this body experiences childhood,
      youth
      > and old age, then moves to another body. The enlightened know
      this
      > and death is OK.
      >
      > (Chapter II to be continued later)

    • westwindwood2003
      Message 2 of 28 , Mar 11 7:37 PM
        Heat, cold, pleasure, pain, comes and goes, impermanent. Just bear
        patiently and the person is a star among people. Pleasure and pain
        does not matter and so the person is fit for immortality. The
        foregoing is not a matter of belief, but of experience. A person who
        is working with enlightenment to improve themselves just takes what
        is happening in their life as stimulation to bring material up to be
        worked on. In doing so they are working toward immortality, giving
        up their desires, letting them evaporate under the influence of the
        enlightenment experience. Now the next line from the Gita seems to
        go in a curious circle, but not really. When I first looked at this,
        I did so intellectually, but then I meditated about it in the
        enlightenment mode. Not of the unreal is being, and not non-being is
        of the real. The knower of truth sees indeed the absolute truth of
        these two. OK, these come out of the meditation experience. There
        is the discovery of the unreal bubbling forth from the desires of the
        subconscious and the being that gives the guidance to the unreal
        desires that cause evolution into the real. The knower of the truth
        understands these two things and the interconnectedness.

        Indestructible indeed that, known by thou whom perceives that all
        this is pervaded; destruction of this imperishable is not possible by
        anyone. Well, if you meditate and are undergoing the repeated
        enlightenment experience, you definitely know that the answers you
        get are imperishable and indestructible, very consistent and you had
        just better do it so that you can evolve towards that, probably
        taking lifetimes. The Gita goes on with this indestructible Atman
        theme for quite a few stanzas and that is what you are working on for
        enlightenment.

        The phenomenal is explained –Having a goal these everlasting bodies
        are manifested with the indestructible and the immeasurable;
        therefore fight O Bharata (Arjuna).

        He who thinks of the self believes in slaying and slain. Both are not
        reality as It slays not, nor is It slain.

        Not born like physical, it does not die or die at any time, this
        having been and will be, not instantly unborn. Eternal, changeless,
        this is ancient and not killed when the body is killed.

        Know indestructible, eternal, who this self unborn, inexhaustible.
        Arjuna, who causes slaying, or causes another to slay?

        Like discarded worn out clothes, other physical bodies are taken, so
        bodies are cast away and the one new entered into.
      • westwindwood2003
        Message 3 of 28 , Mar 17 7:28 PM
          The English translation I am using is The Bhagavad Gita with
          commentary by Swami Chidbhavananda in case anyone is curious. I
          believe it is used as a college textbook in India. Commencing with
          Chapter 2 Verse 23 and 24:

          Weapons do not cut, fire does not burn and, water not wet and wind
          not dry It (Atman, Self)

          It (Atman, universal) cannot be cut, burnt, wetted, dried; also It is
          eternal, all pervading, stable, immovable, and ancient.

          If a person has never taken up meditation, then these two verses are
          the foundation for their meditation commencement and then the ongoing
          evolution. First off, a person may not be aware that they have a
          soul (Atman), one with the attributes found in Verse 23 so the Gita
          so states that one does. Now Atman can also mean the universal soul,
          which is brought forth in Verse 24. As a person evolves through the
          enlightenment found in meditation, the individual Self of Verse 23
          takes on the characteristics of the universal Atman of Verse 24.

          Verse 25:
          This is said: un-manifested, unthinkable, unchangeable; having known
          this, grieve not.

          However, it is possible to experience the foregoing (Atman) through
          meditation, and therefore grieve not for there is all comfort found
          here. All is taken care of for you.
        • westwindwood2003
          Message 4 of 28 , Mar 19 8:46 PM
            The materialistic standpoint, nothing is permanent, nihilism,
            atheism, (unorthodox opinions)

            26. Consider: And now this constantly aborning, or thinking death,
            this is inevitable, even then Oh Mighty Armed, do not grieve. (All
            together now, one, two, three, in two part harmony)

            27. Of the born, for certain there is death, and a birth for that
            which is dead, and therefore the matter is inevitable. You aught not
            to grieve. (Life, death, life, death, life, death… one after the
            other as long as there is karma to work out and then nothing at the
            end, or maybe it's just an exchange of one physical entity for
            another over and over again. This is for the materialists, but what
            of enlightenment for thou?)

            28. Un-manifested in the beginning, beings manifested in their middle
            state O Bharatha, un-manifested again in the end, so again what grief
            is there? (Nature dictates there be manifestations, but there is no
            Self through it all)

            The above opinions, although not in agreement with accepted beliefs,
            are examined. Ultimately, no big deal because whatever you believe,
            when you get whacked up the side of the head with enlightenment, then
            you have to accept It and get off your duff, and give up despondency
            or whatever you were clinging to, or believing in, accept It and go
            forth.
          • sean tremblay

              Message 6 of 28 , Mar 20 9:09 PM
                Atman transcends mind, speech, and understanding

                29: Enlightenment happens to someone: astonished, awed, in wonder,
                overwhelmed even; therefore, the speaking of this foregoing to another,
                the superlative words are not nearly enough, and so this other knows
                not of what is trying to be expressed, the words bring no
                understanding. To the casual bystanders all this description means
                nothing whatsoever.

                30: In all bodies is the indestructible Indweller, O Bharta (Arjuna),
                grieve not for them at all.

                Well, since you have the Indweller, you work with yourself so that if
                It is revealed, the superlative guidance and wisdom presented for the
                Self to take up, to evolve towards the Indweller's nature will be
                undertaken.
              • westwindwood2003
                Message 7 of 28 , Mar 23 8:29 AM
                  Swerve Not From Duty 31 to 37

                  31. One is born into the class of people that fight for
                  righteousness, and nothing is higher that this duty, so look at not
                  to waver.

                  32. It has happened at this time that the gift of enlightenment is
                  apparent; O partha of the fighting class, go into this battle.

                  33. But if you avoid this righteous warfare that is you fame, your
                  duty, abandonment shall incur sin.

                  34. Your dishonor will be told about by the honored and this
                  everlastingly so and exceeds the pain of death

                  35. Other warriors who have experienced enlightenment and currently
                  hold you in high esteem will decide you are a light weigh for
                  withdrawing from the battle for the spiritual.

                  36. Belittling words are to be spoken and many will say your enemies
                  will criticize your petty power. What could be more painful than
                  this?

                  37. In death you will gain heaven; victorious you will enjoy the
                  earth. Therefore Arjuna, be resolved to fight.
                • sandeep chatterjee
                  Message 8 of 28 , Mar 23 10:00 AM
                    Thus spake Osama to the new Al Queda recruits.

                    Message 9 of 28 , Mar 23 2:33 PM
                      And has been the rallying battle cry of all commanders
                      to the troops of all nations who make war!
                      In the context of Ajuna's reluctance in a military
                      sense, this is something I myself have struggled with.
                      I learned my trade i the US Army and my Darma is to
                      explore, ever sense I was a boy I have had an
                      insatiable curiosity. However in the context of
                      soldiering I was always at odds I am realy an
                      anarchist at heart with a didain for authority and a
                      dislike of possesing authority over others yet.... I
                      find the military in some form or other keeps creeping
                      it's way back into my life!? A karmic cycle I must
                      break? purhaps or Something I must give into?!
                      --- sandeep chatterjee <sandeep1960@...> wrote:

                      > Thus spake Osama to the new Al Queda recruits.
                      >
                      > westwindwood2003 wrote:
                      > > Swerve Not From Duty 31 to 37
                      > > 31. One is born into the class of people that
                      > fight for
                      > > righteousness, and nothing is higher that this
                      > duty, so look at not
                      > > to waver.
                      > > 32. It has happened at this time that the gift of
                      > enlightenment is
                      > > apparent; O partha of the fighting class, go into
                      > this battle.
                      > > 33. But if you avoid this righteous warfare that
                      > is you fame, your
                      > > duty, abandonment shall incur sin.
                      > > 34. Your dishonor will be told about by the
                      > honored and this
                      > > everlastingly so and exceeds the pain of death
                      > > 35. Other warriors who have experienced
                      > enlightenment and currently
                      > > hold you in high esteem will decide you are a
                      > light weigh for
                      > > withdrawing from the battle for the spiritual.
                      > > 36. Belittling words are to be spoken and many
                      > will say your enemies
                      > > will criticize your petty power. What could be
                      > more painful than
                      > > this?
                      > > 37. In death you will gain heaven; victorious you
                      > will enjoy the
                      > > earth. Therefore Arjuna, be resolved to fight.

                      http://www.yahoo.com/r/hs
                    • Jeff Belyea
                      Message 10 of 28 , Mar 23 5:44 PM
                        Sean -

                        Krisna's advice to Arjuna is
                        in the context of consciousness.
                        The battleground is the mind
                        and the concepts that the illusory
                        and secondary identity (ego)
                        finds so precious.

                        Enlightenment - in one aspect, the
                        victory over ego attachments - reveals
                        a primary identity that has absolute
                        clarity and no unanswered questions
                        ...nothing to resolve...perfect peace
                        of mind and utter tranquility.

                        Jeff

                        ______________
                        > http://www.yahoo.com/r/hs

                      • sean tremblay
                        Message 11 of 28 , Mar 23 5:46 PM
                          yep, I understand it both ways
                          --- Jeff Belyea <jeff@...> wrote:

                          > Sean -
                          >
                          > Krisna's advice to Arjuna is
                          > in the context of consciousness.
                          > The battleground is the mind
                          > and the concepts that the illusory
                          > and secondary identity (ego)
                          > finds so precious.
                          >
                          > Enlightenment - in one aspect, the
                          > victory over ego attachments - reveals
                          > a primary identity that has absolute
                          > clarity and no unanswered questions
                          > ...nothing to resolve...perfect peace
                          > of mind and utter tranquility.
                          >
                          > Jeff

                          > sean tremblay
                          > <bethjams9@...> wrote:
                          > >
                          > > And has been the rallying battle cry of all
                          > commanders
                          > > to the troops of all nations who make war!
                          > > In the context of Ajuna's reluctance in a military
                          > > sense, this is something I myself have struggled
                          > with.
                          > > I learned my trade i the US Army and my Darma is
                          > > explore, ever sense I was a boy I have had an
                          > > insatiable curiosity. However in the context of
                          > > soldiering I was always at odds I am realy an
                          > > anarchist at heart with a didain for authority and
                          > > dislike of possesing authority over others yet....
                          > > find the military in some form or other keeps
                          > creeping
                          > > it's way back into my life!? A karmic cycle I must
                          > > break? purhaps or Something I must give into?!
                          > > --- sandeep chatterjee <sandeep1960@...> wrote:
                          > >
                          > > > Thus spake Osama to the new Al Queda recruits.

                          > > > fight for
                          > > > duty, so look at not
                          > of
                          > > > enlightenment is
                          > into
                          > > > this battle.
                          > that
                          > > > is you fame, your
                          > > > honored and this

                          > > > enlightenment and currently
                          > > > light weigh for

                          > > > will say your enemies
                          > be
                          > > > more painful than
                          > you
                          > > > will enjoy the
                          > fight.

                          > ______________
                          > > http://www.yahoo.com/r/hs

                          http://www.yahoo.com/r/hs
                        • sean tremblay
                          Message 12 of 28 , Mar 23 5:57 PM
                            to bad that idea didn't make to the guys with the
                            ammonium nitrate.
                            I do realize that the most violent segments of any
                            religion realy are a minority. Was it Socrates who
                            said there have always coexisted two religions one for
                            the masses and one for the initiate? any way it was
                            one of the great greeks

                            http://www.yahoo.com/r/hs
                          • Bruce Morgen
                            Message 13 of 28 , Mar 23 6:51 PM

                              sean tremblay wrote:
                              > yep, I understand it both ways
                              > --- Jeff Belyea <jeff@...> wrote:
                              >

                              >> Sean -
                              >>
                              >> Krisna's advice to Arjuna is
                              >> in the context of consciousness.
                              >> The battleground is the mind
                              >> and the concepts that the illusory
                              >> and secondary identity (ego)
                              >> finds so precious.
                              >>
                              >> Enlightenment - in one aspect, the
                              >> victory over ego attachments - reveals
                              >> a primary identity that has absolute
                              >> clarity and no unanswered questions
                              >> ...nothing to resolve...perfect peace
                              >> of mind and utter tranquility.
                              >>
                              >> Jeff
                              >>

                              >> --- In meditationsocietyofamerica@yahoogroups.com,
                              >> sean tremblay
                              >> <bethjams9@...> wrote:
                              >>
                              >>> And has been the rallying battle cry of all
                              >>>
                              >> commanders
                              >>
                              >>> to the troops of all nations who make war!
                              >>> In the context of Ajuna's reluctance in a military
                              >>> sense, this is something I myself have struggled
                              >>>
                              >> with.
                              >>
                              >>> I learned my trade i the US Army and my Darma is

                              >>> explore, ever sense I was a boy I have had an
                              >>> insatiable curiosity. However in the context of
                              >>> soldiering I was always at odds I am realy an
                              >>> anarchist at heart with a didain for authority and

                              >>> dislike of possesing authority over others yet....

                              >>> find the military in some form or other keeps
                              >>>
                              >> creeping
                              >>
                              >>> it's way back into my life!? A karmic cycle I must
                              >>> break? purhaps or Something I must give into?!

                              >> of

                              >> into

                              >> that

                              >> be

                              >> you

                              >> fight.

                            • westwindwood2003
                              Message 14 of 28 , Mar 30 10:29 PM
                                38. Engage yourself in this battle where pain and pleasure, gain and
                                loss, victory and defeat matter not. You incur no sin because all
                                these pairs are released (let go of) in this battle for wisdom (right
                                behavior).

                                When you experience enlightenment, knowledge of how you should
                                conduct your affairs is presented to you in meditation; you offer up
                                the positive and negative feelings that have surfaced in meditation
                                and ask for guidance. Your desire for a particular outcome is
                                totally let go of and the insight of how you should proceed is given
                                to you.

                                39. Listen up Arjuna; taking up the yoke of Yoga means absolutely
                                adhering to the Wisdom the yoga presents to you, and in doing so, the
                                bondage of karma shall be removed.

                                You will follow a wisdom not found in your own personality, something
                                much better than your nature, and you will be changed for the better.

                                40. In this most feeble of efforts there is no production of
                                unfortunate results, even with uneven application, this duty protects
                                against great fear.

                                It has been a while since I started meditation, but I remember.
                                Meditation was such a feeble tentative effort because of my karma, my
                                condition. However, I was urged to continue by a wise person, and a
                                tiny start was all it took; it was a beginning with good results. I
                                did have great fear because I was so out of my comfort zone; having
                                what I thought was control of my destiny (hah, what an illusion that
                                is with all the self induced pain). So I worked on cultivating the
                                relationship (I was uneven in the application because I LIKED the
                                familiarity of my nature) with that Wisdom I had found, and with the
                                procedure of doing meditation came calmness, the determination to do
                                the right thing in giving up my karmic tendencies because life was
                                better that way. The fear left soon on, but the propensities still
                                persisted for many years and required much work.

                                41. One pointed determination is the destiny of Arjuna (Oh the joy of
                                the Kurus is he) because there is always a single answer for any
                                specific problem. There is but one decision for a problem since he
                                has taken to the spiritual battlefield. The mind not centered on the
                                spiritual has much recourse, and multiple choices to resolve, but
                                nothing becomes fixed as a solution.

                                The wisdom in meditation is always consistent (you present the same
                                problem again, and you get the same answer again), the answer hurts
                                no one, and is really hard to do the new behavior to change the
                                personality (and work out karma). The intellectual mind thinks of
                                many solutions to a problem, which to choose? The emotional mind can
                                be in chaos with all the feelings that surface, but the feelings come
                                to one point with enough meditation, and then come the offering up of
                                the issue to receive the wisdom on how to proceed.
                              • westwindwood2003
                                Message 15 of 28 , Apr 6, 2008

                                  Message 16 of 28 , Jun 3, 2008
                                    A little background first. Prakriti or the phenomenal universe is
                                    delineated in the Vedic teaching. The Vedas identify the phenomenal
                                    universe so completely that the phenomenal and Vedas are considered
                                    the same essence. The three Gunas are Sattva, Rajas and Tamas and
                                    constitute the Vedas. Sattva is an illumination shining forth from
                                    the individual through knowledge, Rajas characteristics are greed and
                                    selfish activities and Tamas inactivity, delusion, recklessness and
                                    darkness. The three Gunas compete with each other, create unbalance,
                                    and cause the propagation of the phenomenal universe.

                                    What does one then do? The Key is Yoga. In other words, do your
                                    meditation, offer up the work that is yours, perform the prescribed
                                    duty revealed to you and do not desire results one way or the other,
                                    just do the requested action found in meditation. In this way you
                                    will not be a producer of karma. The Gita states:

                                    45. Deal with the three attributes, the Vedas. Be without these three
                                    attributes Oh Arjuna, free from the pairs of opposites, ever remaining
                                    in the Sattva (goodness) free from (the thought of) material
                                    acquisition and preservation, established in the self.

                                    46. In this work, the only right thing for you is not desire the
                                    fruits of your effort. Also at any time, do not let this not wanting
                                    fruits of action be the motive because in not having your attachment
                                    you would let there be an inaction.

                                    Yoga eventually takes a person beyond the three Gunas so that even
                                    Sattva eventually fades as all is worked out.

                                    48. Steadfast in yoga, perform attachment abandonment, Oh Dhananjaya,
                                    in success and failure be the same as yoga is called having an
                                    evenness of mind.

                                    However, this can only be attained by meditation. It is not attained
                                    by act of willpower as the goings on are the doings of the Lord
                                    speaking within and the one who meditates is in the position of a
                                    willing servant. Just do it.
                                  • westwindwood2003
                                    Message 17 of 28 , Jun 5, 2008
                                      49. Action not directed by yoga is by far most
                                      inferior. Oh Dhananjaya, the self-seekers,
                                      those taking advantage of opportunities without
                                      regard for the consequences, have a wretched
                                      existence.

                                      The unaware person lives their life seeking
                                      pleasure, trying to get head. Perhaps something
                                      happens, some calamity or maybe it is just a
                                      realization that life is not right. There is
                                      religion to turn to, religious works and teachers.
                                      Ultimately though, there is the complete giving
                                      over to God, a total offering up of what one is
                                      striving for spiritually and seeking guidance in
                                      deep meditation, a discovery through yoga of
                                      the path to resolution of it all.

                                      50. With meditation comes a calmness of mind,
                                      tranquility. Also, there is wisdom that comes
                                      showing the actions, the feelings even, that
                                      needs to be acted upon to grow. There is
                                      perfection in this life following this path.
                                      Devote yourself to yoga. Good and evil deeds,
                                      how do I know which is which? Pursuing
                                      either should eventually cease. But, it will take
                                      decades to evolve through it all because it is
                                      hard to change ones personality.

                                      Intellectually we have a feeling for what is
                                      right and wrong, but this is action not directed
                                      by yoga and is inferior. For instance, I may
                                      help someone and that seems right to me;
                                      however, I might be keeping that person from
                                      discovering the path because they may not
                                      realize life needs working on. If I do not help
                                      them when I easily can do so, that might seem
                                      wrong. The answer to the proper action is
                                      revealed in meditation.

                                      51. The wise, those who meditate, let go of the
                                      desire, lets answers come when no ego
                                      intervenes, discerns proper action and go
                                      beyond evil, eventually evolving into the nature
                                      that frees them from being bound to birthing
                                      again.
                                    • westwindwood2003
                                      Message 18 of 28 , Jun 6, 2008
                                        What happens to a yogi? These are active
                                        and passive. The following is passive
                                        because it just happens without effort.

                                        51. When understanding from your practice
                                        comes, intellectual delusion is bypassed.
                                        You are indifferent to what others said in the
                                        past and what you shall hear in the future.

                                        This just happens automatically because of
                                        the immediate (in this very instant)
                                        Guidance. That Guidance is all there is; the
                                        intellect is inactive.

                                        52. Your intellect analyzes what others say
                                        and you can be confused by the many
                                        options. The yogi; however, can stand
                                        immovable in the Self with steady
                                        understanding of the course of action
                                        needed.
                                        Message 19 of 28 , Jun 7, 2008
                                          "westwindwood2003" <westwindwood2003@...> wrote:

                                          > What happens to a yogi? These are active
                                          > and passive. The following is passive
                                          > because it just happens without effort.
                                          >
                                          > 51. When understanding from your practice
                                          > comes, intellectual delusion is bypassed.
                                          > You are indifferent to what others said in the
                                          > past and what you shall hear in the future.
                                          >
                                          > This just happens automatically because of
                                          > the immediate (in this very instant)
                                          > Guidance. That Guidance is all there is; the
                                          > intellect is inactive.
                                          >
                                          > 52. Your intellect analyzes what others say
                                          > and you can be confused by the many
                                          > options. The yogi; however, can stand
                                          > immovable in the Self with steady
                                          > understanding of the course of action
                                          > needed.

                                          Yo Westwindwood,
                                          This and the previous Gita posting are,
                                          as usual, very great pointings. I like
                                          the term Guidance (with the capital G) as
                                          we often see "Grace" used similarly, but
                                          with the term Guidance we also get the
                                          concept that a definitive understanding
                                          takes place that transcends the mind's usual
                                          "it could be like this, or it could be
                                          like that" tendency. This allows the "Thy
                                          will be done" reality to take us over (and
                                          inner) and we then automatically let events
                                          of our life proceed as they may without
                                          any inner chattering that commonly brings
                                          us negativity (takes our peace away). And
                                          of course, we all are "Yogi's" in spite of
                                          whatever masks cover this true identity.
                                          So these wise teaching apply to all of us.
                                          Thanks again for sharing.
                                        • westwindwood2003
                                          Message 20 of 28 , Jun 7, 2008
                                            I cannot take very much credit. The book I am using gives a word for
                                            word translation from the Sanskrit. The word order takes a little
                                            getting used to and sometimes the English words that are chosen by the
                                            author have several definitions and the author sometime uses the more
                                            obscure definition, so I find I have to use a dictionary some to get
                                            the real meaning. What I then do is try and relate that word for word
                                            English translation to my own meditation experience so that I can
                                            express that translation in a way that is more understandable I hope.
                                            What I find wonderful about the Gita is here are these words that in
                                            a condensed kind of way outlines the spiritual experience, like
                                            lecture notes that a teacher can expand on. Since I meditate myself,
                                            I feel that I can do the subject some justice, but I sometimes wonder
                                            if there might be better words than the ones I use.
                                            --- In meditationsocietyofamerica@yahoogroups.com, medit8ionsociety .

                                            > Yo Westwindwood,
                                            > This and the previous Gita posting are,
                                            > as usual, very great pointings. I like
                                            > the term Guidance (with the capital G) as
                                            > we often see "Grace" used similarly, but
                                            > with the term Guidance we also get the
                                            > concept that a definitive understanding
                                            > takes place that transcends the mind's usual
                                            > "it could be like this, or it could be
                                            > like that" tendency. This allows the "Thy
                                            > will be done" reality to take us over (and
                                            > inner) and we then automatically let events
                                            > of our life proceed as they may without
                                            > any inner chattering that commonly brings
                                            > us negativity (takes our peace away). And
                                            > of course, we all are "Yogi's" in spite of
                                            > whatever masks cover this true identity.
                                            > So these wise teaching apply to all of us.
                                            > Thanks again for sharing.
                                            > Peace and blessings,
                                            > Bob

                                          • suman sk
                                            Message 21 of 28 , Jun 8, 2008

                                              Thanks for continued posting on the wisdom of Geeta.

                                              I read it everyday and find a wonderful insight into the true learning.

                                              It is a science in itself but only for the beleiver.

                                              Om and God bless all of us

                                              Surendra K

                                              I cannot take very much credit. The book I am using gives a word for
                                              word translation from the Sanskrit. The word order takes a little
                                              getting used to and sometimes the English words that are chosen by the
                                              author have several definitions and the author sometime uses the more
                                              obscure definition, so I find I have to use a dictionary some to get
                                              the real meaning. What I then do is try and relate that word for word
                                              English translation to my own meditation experience so that I can
                                              express that translation in a way that is more understandable I hope.
                                              What I find wonderful about the Gita is here are these words that in
                                              a condensed kind of way outlines the spiritual experience, like
                                              lecture notes that a teacher can expand on. Since I meditate myself,
                                              I feel that I can do the subject some justice, but I sometimes wonder
                                              if there might be better words than the ones I use.
                                              --- In meditationsocietyof america@yahoogro ups.com, medit8ionsociety .

                                              > Yo Westwindwood,
                                              > This and the previous Gita posting are,
                                              > as usual, very great pointings. I like
                                              > the term Guidance (with the capital G) as
                                              > we often see "Grace" used similarly, but
                                              > with the term Guidance we also get the
                                              > concept that a definitive understanding
                                              > takes place that transcends the mind's usual
                                              > "it could be like this, or it could be
                                              > like that" tendency. This allows the "Thy
                                              > will be done" reality to take us over (and
                                              > inner) and we then automatically let events
                                              > of our life proceed as they may without
                                              > any inner chattering that commonly brings
                                              > us negativity (takes our peace away). And
                                              > of course, we all are "Yogi's" in spite of
                                              > whatever masks cover this true identity.
                                              > So these wise teaching apply to all of us.
                                              > Thanks again for sharing.
                                              > Peace and blessings,
                                              > Bob

                                            • WestWindWood
                                              Message 22 of 28 , Jun 9, 2008
                                                54. Arjuna asks a question about the
                                                qualities (steady of disposition,
                                                consistent in vision) of a sage, (who
                                                has merged with the Creator, the
                                                nature of that which underlies all
                                                existence).

                                                The sage, merged into the Creator
                                                beyond the normal conscious state,
                                                we could say in deep meditation,
                                                experiences the qualities of the
                                                Creator.  The sage has, over may
                                                years of evolution, taken these
                                                experiences and incorporated in him,
                                                through proper action and behavior,
                                                the qualities of the Creator so that
                                                the sage became Self.

                                                This seems like A LOT OF HARD
                                                WORK! But in reality, it is just a
                                                giving up of all those qualities of
                                                personality that are not of the divine
                                                nature.  It seems an agony at the
                                                time, but is nothing looking back,
                                                and why was that I clung to so
                                                important anyway, but it was.

                                                55. Sri Bhagavan (Krishna) said:
                                                All desires of the mind (of ones very
                                                heart) are cast off, Oh Partha, by
                                                becoming the Self by working with
                                                the Self in steady wisdom.

                                                Contact with the Self in meditation
                                                brings a steady wisdom, Oh what to
                                                do about my present situation and
                                                how am I going to work this out,
                                                God's will be done, and so it goes
                                                with an answer coming to me so that
                                                I become more the Self by practicing
                                                proper behavior and letting the Self
                                                emerge in place of the misguided
                                                personality that I have begun with.

                                                56. The mind is unshaken in
                                                adversity, and in pleasure, there is no
                                                latching onto and wanting to retain.
                                                Free from attachment, fear and anger
                                                is the sage poised in wisdom.

                                                The wisdom found in meditation
                                                allows the sage these characteristics.
                                                This is just something that happens,
                                                a symptom, not something that the
                                                sage tries to grasp and become, it just
                                                happens because one meditates.

                                              • aideenmck
                                                Message 23 of 28 , Jun 11, 2008
                                                  Belated thanks for these posts helping us to understand the Bhagavad
                                                  Gita, about which I was almost totally ignorant. Recently, I've been
                                                  reading Ram Dass's "Paths to God: Living the Bhagavad Gita" - it,
                                                  too, is a revelation. Also reading Rumi's poetry, the Coleman Barks
                                                  translation. And meeting Theravadin monks, listening to their dharma
                                                  talks. Sometimes I feel as if I'm perceiving everything for the
                                                  first time. (Where have I been?)
                                                  Aideen

                                                  Message 24 of 28 , Jun 14, 2008
                                                    I do not know Sanskrit and so I know