Executive meditation

  • Jeff Belyea
    Message 1 of 3 , Mar 6, 2008

      Message 2 of 3 , Mar 6, 2008

        > on "Executive Meditation".
        >
        > Harvard study says, "The
        > two most important tools
        > for the 21st century executive
        > are intuition and meditation."
        >
        > WOW!

        And my intuition tells me that Papajeff
        posting the availability of his seminar
        is one of those "right thing at the right
        time" kind of things is further confirmed
        by the todays posting of this article in
        Medical News Today:

        Intuition Is More Than Just A Hunch,
        According To Leeds Research
        Most of us experience 'gut feelings' we can't
        explain, such as instantly loving - or hating
        - a new property when we're househunting or the
        snap judgements we make on meeting new people.
        Now researchers at Leeds say these feelings -
        or intuitions - are real and we should take
        our hunches seriously.

        According to a team led by Professor Gerard
        odgkinson of the Centre for Organisational
        Strategy, Learning and Change at Leeds University
        Business School, intuition is the result of the
        way our brains store, process and retrieve
        information on a subconscious level and so is a
        real psychological phenomenon which needs further
        study to help us harness its potential.

        There are many recorded incidences where intuition
        prevented catastrophes and cases of remarkable
        recoveries when doctors followed their gut feelings.
        Yet science has historically ridiculed the concept
        of intuition, putting it in the same box as
        parapsychology, phrenology and other 'pseudoscientific'
        practices.

        Through analysis of a wide range of research
        papers examining the phenomenon, the researchers
        conclude that intuition is the brain drawing on
        past experiences and external cues to make a
        decision - but one that happens so fast the reaction
        is at a non-conscious level. All we're aware of is
        a general feeling that something is right or wrong.

        "People usually experience true intuition when
        they are under severe time pressure or in a situation
        of information overload or acute danger, where
        conscious analysis of the situation may be difficult
        or impossible," says Prof Hodgkinson.

        He cites the recorded case of a Formula One driver
        who braked sharply when nearing a hairpin bend without
        knowing why - and as a result avoided hitting a pile-up
        of cars on the track ahead, undoubtedly saving his life.

        "The driver couldn't explain why he felt he
        should stop, but the urge was much stronger than
        his desire to win the race," explains Professor
        Hodgkinson. "The driver underwent forensic analysis
        by psychologists afterwards, where he was shown a
        video to mentally relive the event. In hindsight he
        realised that the crowd, which would have normally been
        cheering him on, wasn't looking at him coming up to the
        bend but was looking the other way in a static,
        frozen way. That was the cue. He didn't consciously
        process this, but he knew something was wrong and
        stopped in time."

        Prof Hodgkinson believes that all intuitive
        experiences are based on the instantaneous evaluation
        of such internal and external cues - but does not
        speculate on whether intuitive decisions are
        necessarily the right ones.

        "Humans clearly need both conscious and non-conscious
        thought processes, but it's likely that neither is
        intrinsically 'better' than the other," he says.

        As a Chartered occupational psychologist, Prof
        Hodgkinson is particularly interested in the impact
        of intuition within business, where many executives
        and managers claim to use intuition over deliberate
        analysis when a swift decision is required. "We'd
        like to identify when business people choose to switch
        from one mode to the other and why - and also analyse
        when their decision is the correct one. By
        understanding this phenomenon, we could then help
        organisations to harness and hone intuitive skills
        in their executives and managers."

        ----------------------------
        Article adapted by Medical News Today from
        original press release.
        ----------------------------
      • Jeff Belyea
        Message 3 of 3 , Mar 6, 2008
          <no_reply@...> wrote:

> [...]
          > speculate on whether intuitive decisions are
          > necessarily the right ones.
          >
          > "Humans clearly need both conscious and non-conscious
          > thought processes, but it's likely that neither is
          > intrinsically 'better' than the other," he says.
          >
          > As a Chartered occupational psychologist, Prof
          > Hodgkinson is particularly interested in the impact
          > of intuition within business, where many executives
          > and managers claim to use intuition over deliberate
          > analysis when a swift decision is required. "We'd
          > like to identify when business people choose to switch
          > from one mode to the other and why - and also analyse
          > when their decision is the correct one. By
          > understanding this phenomenon, we could then help
          > organisations to harness and hone intuitive skills
          > in their executives and managers."
          >
          > ----------------------------
          > Article adapted by Medical News Today from

          Thanks, Bob. Great stuff.

          A while ago I read about
          a team of Marines being
          trained to trust their