[Meditation Society of America] Re: Mullah Nasrudin Tells It Like It Is

  • Jeff Belyea
    Message 1 of 23 , Mar 5, 2008
      Great. You know where to
      draw the line.
      Nice roster of teachers.
      Obviously, you also know
      where to look for authenticity.

      <bethjams9@...> wrote:

      > Agreed,
      > Like in my fairly recent Ashtanga experiments, it's good to have a
      teacher to point out the small stuff like a quarter inch here or
      there. But it still boils down to doing it. We can find our peace in
      many ways. I have found it in Diving, submerged in an alien world
      leave all the hate and dicontent on the surface all you have is the
      rythme of your breathing echoing in the hat, the near wieghtlessness
      and your your project at hand. I have found teachers who for a short
      time have left something of an impression, but I maintain that my
      greatest teachers have been the trailor park sages, vagabond poets,
      street ascetics and cowboy philosophers.

> [...]
      >
      > Jeff

      > <bethjams9@> wrote:
      > >
      > > I believe anybody that lives in the world faces these problems and
      > we all have the answers to them. As for finding a teacher I
      > personally would not follow any one teacher, I think teachers are all
      > around you. Meditating like running, you don't need a coach or
      > personal trainer to accomplish your goals. And I am speaking as
      > someone who often gets caught up in the rigmarole of daily life and
      > falls short of my potential.
      > >
      > > westwindwood2003 <westwindwood2003@> wrote: Here are
      > all the problems I can think of at the moment in taking up
      > > meditation. I list these, not because I wish to discourage
      > > meditation, but to allow to can plan ahead. If one works out the
      > > problems and issues ahead of time, success is more likely.
      > >
      > > One knows what they are doing with their life, why look at
      > something
      > > that requires disturbing the status quo. I don't need anything else
      > > as my own clever mind to guide me in my life's decisions.
      > >
      > > Could meditation somehow hurt me in a psychological way?
      > >
      > > I will need approximately 45 minutes out of a busy day to meditate.
      > >
      > > Can I find a place to meditate with kids making noise and getting
      > > into mischief; do I have a spouse or someone to watch the kids?
      > >
      > > What will my acquaintances and relatives think I am up to, trying
      > > get out of chores?
      > >
      > > Feelings will surface in meditation I will have to do something
      > about
      > > to resolve them or the same feeling will come back again and again
      > > with no resolution possible.
      > >
      > > I will have to find a teacher I trust, and how will I know if they
      > > are trustworthy and wise. A lot of people are trying to make money
      > on
      > > meditators, for example just look at the Internet
      > >
      > > When enlightenment happens, I will suffer giving up my karma driven
      > > ego attachments and will be find it is all I can do to get through
      > > the change.
      > >
      > > Enlightenment will give me guidance on how to conduct my life. I
      > > will be directed to change my behavior, and that will eventually
      > > change my personality and I like my personality the way it is.
      > >
      > > It probably will take lifetimes to work out all my karma so lets
      > just
      > > enjoy life now and worry about working things out some other
      > lifetime.
      > >
      > > Off the top of my head, here are some positive things I can think
      > of
      > > about meditation. Maybe you can think of some more benefits.
      > >
      > > I will be a lot calmer about what is happening in my life. People
      > > will find me a lot easier to be with.
      > >
      > > Problems in my subconscious that rule my actions will be revealed.
      > >
      > > Dreams will not bother me
      > >
      > > Anything in life can be dealt with
      > >
      > > I will be a benefit to others
      > >
      > > Life will get better for me
      > >
      > > Problems that I cannot solve myself I can turn over to the

      Search.