Re: [Meditation Society of America] Re: Mullah Nasrudin Tells It Like It Is

  • sean tremblay
    Message 1 of 23 , Mar 5, 2008
      Agreed,
      Like in my fairly recent Ashtanga experiments, it's good to have a teacher to point out the small stuff like a quarter inch here or there.  But it still boils down to doing it. We can find our peace in many ways.  I have found it in Diving, submerged in an alien world leave all the hate and dicontent on the surface all you have is the rythme of your breathing echoing in the hat, the near wieghtlessness and your your project at hand.  I have found teachers who for a short time have left something of an impression, but I maintain that my greatest teachers have been the trailor park sages, vagabond poets, street ascetics and cowboy philosophers.

      Jeff Belyea <jeff@...> wrote:
      Sean -

      While I am not an advocate
      of devotion to any one teacher,
      I do feel that a teacher who
      "appears" on your path with
      teachings that resonate as
      attractive and compelling
      can be valuable.

      A teacher who can speak authentically
      about their own experiences (which
      is the only premise for authenticity
      and the only platform for teaching)
      can inspire the student to believe in,
      expect, and move forward toward
      their greater potential and/or their
      desire for accomplishment - from
      anything from quitting smoking to
      finding peace of mind.

      Meditation, as you wrote, is
      easy and natural, but the mindset
      approaching meditation, and the
      nuances of "techniques" can
      make the difference between
      a quiet time of relaxation and
      the opening of a new door
      of perception.

      Best,

      Jeff

      <bethjams9@. ..> wrote:

      > I believe anybody that lives in the world faces these problems and
      we all have the answers to them. As for finding a teacher I
      personally would not follow any one teacher, I think teachers are all
      around you. Meditating like running, you don't need a coach or
      personal trainer to accomplish your goals. And I am speaking as
      someone who often gets caught up in the rigmarole of daily life and
      falls short of my potential.

      > westwindwood2003 <westwindwood2003@ ...> wrote: Here are
      all the problems I can think of at the moment in taking up

      Try it now.

    • Jeff Belyea
      Message 2 of 23 , Mar 5, 2008
        Great. You know where to
        draw the line.
        Nice roster of teachers.
        Obviously, you also know
        where to look for authenticity.

        <bethjams9@...> wrote:

> [...]
        > > will be directed to change my behavior, and that will eventually
        > > change my personality and I like my personality the way it is.
        > >
        > > It probably will take lifetimes to work out all my karma so lets
        > just
        > > enjoy life now and worry about working things out some other
        > lifetime.
        > >
        > > Off the top of my head, here are some positive things I can think
        > of
        > > about meditation. Maybe you can think of some more benefits.
        > >
        > > I will be a lot calmer about what is happening in my life. People
        > > will find me a lot easier to be with.
        > >
        > > Problems in my subconscious that rule my actions will be revealed.
        > >
        > > Dreams will not bother me
        > >
        > > Anything in life can be dealt with
        > >
        > > I will be a benefit to others
        > >
        > > Life will get better for me
        > >
        > > Problems that I cannot solve myself I can turn over to the

        Search.