[Meditation Society of America] Re: Mullah Nasrudin Tells It Like It Is

  • Jeff Belyea
    Message 1 of 23 , Mar 3, 2008

      nuances of "techniques" can
      make the difference between
      a quiet time of relaxation and
      the opening of a new door
      of perception.

      Best,

      Jeff

      <bethjams9@...> wrote:

      > I believe anybody that lives in the world faces these problems and
      we all have the answers to them. As for finding a teacher I
      personally would not follow any one teacher, I think teachers are all
      around you. Meditating like running, you don't need a coach or
      personal trainer to accomplish your goals. And I am speaking as
      someone who often gets caught up in the rigmarole of daily life and
      falls short of my potential.

      > westwindwood2003 <westwindwood2003@...> wrote: Here are
      all the problems I can think of at the moment in taking up

      Try it now.

    • Jeff Belyea
      Message 2 of 23 , Mar 3, 2008
        To highlight one of the problems
        or resistances to truly entering
        meditation, it is important to
        recognize that a language barrier
        also exists.

        When "problems" are listed as
        preparation for meditation, the
        words do not resonate at the
        same depth for a beginning, or
        even experienced meditator, as
        they do for those who have
        been graced with crossing the
        threshold of enlightenment.

        For example, the mention of
        sufering when encountering
        the giving up of ego attachments
        - this feels like certain "death"
        when reached in full technocolor.

        Only the truly committed or
        truly desperate - those who
        are wiling to risk death -
        will take on this one. It is
        the turning back point for many
        dabblers in meditation.

        In essence, there is no possible
        preparation for what is experienced
        in depth meditation. It is beyond
        words or description. It cannot
        really be "sought" in any real
        sense. If peace of mind is sought,
        the manner in which it presents
        is startling, and in no way
        resembles any preconceived notion.
        The linear mind cannot anticipate
        or grasp the experience - yet, it
        delights in the result.

        --- In meditationsocietyofamerica@yahoogroups.com, "westwindwood2003"
        <westwindwood2003@...> wrote:

        > Here are all the problems I can think of at the moment in taking up
        > meditation. I list these, not because I wish to discourage
        > meditation, but to allow to can plan ahead. If one works out the
        > problems and issues ahead of time, success is more likely.
        >

        > One knows what they are doing with their life, why look at
        something
        > that requires disturbing the status quo. I don't need anything else
        > as my own clever mind to guide me in my life's decisions.
        >
        > Could meditation somehow hurt me in a psychological way?
        >
        > I will need approximately 45 minutes out of a busy day to meditate.
        >
        > Can I find a place to meditate with kids making noise and getting
        > into mischief; do I have a spouse or someone to watch the kids?
        >
        > What will my acquaintances and relatives think I am up to, trying
        > get out of chores?
        >
        > Feelings will surface in meditation I will have to do something
        about
        > to resolve them or the same feeling will come back again and again
        > with no resolution possible.
        >
        > I will have to find a teacher I trust, and how will I know if they
        > are trustworthy and wise. A lot of people are trying to make money
        on
        > meditators, for example just look at the Internet
        >
        > When enlightenment happens, I will suffer giving up my karma driven
        > ego attachments and will be find it is all I can do to get through
        > the change.
        >
        > Enlightenment will give me guidance on how to conduct my life. I
        > will be directed to change my behavior, and that will eventually
        > change my personality and I like my personality the way it is.
        >
        > It probably will take lifetimes to work out all my karma so lets
        just
        > enjoy life now and worry about working things out some other
        lifetime.

        > Off the top of my head, here are some positive things I can think
        of
        > about meditation. Maybe you can think of some more benefits.
        >
        > I will be a lot calmer about what is happening in my life. People
        > will find me a lot easier to be with.
        >
        > Problems in my subconscious that rule my actions will be revealed.
        >
        > Dreams will not bother me
        >
        > Anything in life can be dealt with
        >
        > I will be a benefit to others
        >
        > Life will get better for me
        >
        > Problems that I cannot solve myself I can turn over to the
        > enlightenment process

      • sean tremblay
        Message 3 of 23 , Mar 5, 2008
          Agreed,
          Like in my fairly recent Ashtanga experiments, it's good to have a teacher to point out the small stuff like a quarter inch here or there.  But it still boils down to doing it. We can find our peace in many ways.  I have found it in Diving, submerged in an alien world leave all the hate and dicontent on the surface all you have is the rythme of your breathing echoing in the hat, the near wieghtlessness and your your project at hand.  I have found teachers who for a short time have left something of an impression, but I maintain that my greatest teachers have been the trailor park sages, vagabond poets, street ascetics and cowboy philosophers.

          Jeff Belyea <jeff@...> wrote:
          Sean -

          While I am not an advocate
          of devotion to any one teacher,
          I do feel that a teacher who
          "appears" on your path with
          teachings that resonate as
          attractive and compelling
          can be valuable.

          A teacher who can speak authentically
          about their own experiences (which
          is the only premise for authenticity
          and the only platform for teaching)
          can inspire the student to believe in,
          expect, and move forward toward
          their greater potential and/or their
          desire for accomplishment - from
          anything from quitting smoking to
          finding peace of mind.

          Meditation, as you wrote, is
          easy and natural, but the mindset
          approaching meditation, and the

          <bethjams9@. ..> wrote:

          > I believe anybody that lives in the world faces these problems and
          we all have the answers to them. As for finding a teacher I
          personally would not follow any one teacher, I think teachers are all
          around you. Meditating like running, you don't need a coach or
          personal trainer to accomplish your goals. And I am speaking as
          someone who often gets caught up in the rigmarole of daily life and
          falls short of my potential.

          > westwindwood2003 <westwindwood2003@ ...> wrote: Here are
          all the problems I can think of at the moment in taking up
          > meditation. I list these, not because I wish to discourage
          > meditation, but to allow to can plan ahead. If one works out the
          > problems and issues ahead of time, success is more likely.
          >
          > One knows what they are doing with their life, why look at
          something
          > that requires disturbing the status quo. I don't need anything else
          > as my own clever mind to guide me in my life's decisions.
          >
          > Could meditation somehow hurt me in a psychological way?
          >
          > I will need approximately 45 minutes out of a busy day to meditate.
          >
          > Can I find a place to meditate with kids making noise and getting
          > into mischief; do I have a spouse or someone to watch the kids?
          >
          > What will my acquaintances and relatives think I am up to, trying
          > get out of chores?
          >
          > Feelings will surface in meditation I will have to do something
          about
          > to resolve them or the same feeling will come back again and again
          > with no resolution possible.
          >
          > I will have to find a teacher I trust, and how will I know if they
          > are trustworthy and wise. A lot of people are trying to make money
          on
          > meditators, for example just look at the Internet
          >
          > When enlightenment happens, I will suffer giving up my karma driven
          > ego attachments and will be find it is all I can do to get through
          > the change.
          >
          > Enlightenment will give me guidance on how to conduct my life. I
          > will be directed to change my behavior, and that will eventually
          > change my personality and I like my personality the way it is.
          >
          > It probably will take lifetimes to work out all my karma so lets
          just
          > enjoy life now and worry about working things out some other
          lifetime.

          > Off the top of my head, here are some positive things I can think
          of
          > about meditation. Maybe you can think of some more benefits.
          >
          > I will be a lot calmer about what is happening in my life. People
          > will find me a lot easier to be with.
          >
          > Problems in my subconscious that rule my actions will be revealed.
          >
          > Dreams will not bother me
          >
          > Anything in life can be dealt with
          >
          > I will be a benefit to others
          >
          > Life will get better for me
          >
          > Problems that I cannot solve myself I can turn over to the
          > enlightenment process
          >

          > ------------ --------- --------- ---
          Try it now.

        • Jeff Belyea
          Message 4 of 23 , Mar 5, 2008
            Great. You know where to
            draw the line.
            Nice roster of teachers.
            Obviously, you also know
            where to look for authenticity.

            <bethjams9@...> wrote:

> [...]
            > > will be directed to change my behavior, and that will eventually
            > > change my personality and I like my personality the way it is.
            > >
            > > It probably will take lifetimes to work out all my karma so lets
            > just
            > > enjoy life now and worry about working things out some other
            > lifetime.
            > >
            > > Off the top of my head, here are some positive things I can think
            > of
            > > about meditation. Maybe you can think of some more benefits.
            > >
            > > I will be a lot calmer about what is happening in my life. People
            > > will find me a lot easier to be with.
            > >
            > > Problems in my subconscious that rule my actions will be revealed.
            > >
            > > Dreams will not bother me
            > >
            > > Anything in life can be dealt with
            > >
            > > I will be a benefit to others
            > >
            > > Life will get better for me
            > >
            > > Problems that I cannot solve myself I can turn over to the

            Search.