[Meditation Society of America] Re: Mullah Nasrudin Tells It Like It Is

  • jogeshwarmahanta
    Message 1 of 23 , Mar 1, 2008
      So long one searches 45 minutes a day he/she can never progress. It
      is 24 hours affair. For that, I have made myself a DWCL(Daily Wager
      Continuous Labourer). Continuous means shayane/in sleep,swapane/in
      dream, jagarane/in waking state and in diversone/in diverson.

      If one needs wage how can he/she neglect the labour?
      regards

      --- In
      meditationsocietyofamerica@yahoogroups.com, "westwindwood2003"
      <westwindwood2003@...> wrote:

      > Here are all the problems I can think of at the moment in taking
      up
      > meditation. I list these, not because I wish to discourage
      > meditation, but to allow to can plan ahead. If one works out the
      > problems and issues ahead of time, success is more likely.
      >

      > One knows what they are doing with their life, why look at
      something
      > that requires disturbing the status quo. I don't need anything
      else
      > as my own clever mind to guide me in my life's decisions.
      >
      > Could meditation somehow hurt me in a psychological way?
      >
      > I will need approximately 45 minutes out of a busy day to meditate.
      >
      > Can I find a place to meditate with kids making noise and getting
      > into mischief; do I have a spouse or someone to watch the kids?
      >
      > What will my acquaintances and relatives think I am up to, trying
      > get out of chores?
      >
      > Feelings will surface in meditation I will have to do something
      about
      > to resolve them or the same feeling will come back again and again
      > with no resolution possible.
      >
      > I will have to find a teacher I trust, and how will I know if they
      > are trustworthy and wise. A lot of people are trying to make money
      on
      > meditators, for example just look at the Internet
      >
      > When enlightenment happens, I will suffer giving up my karma
      driven
      > ego attachments and will be find it is all I can do to get through
      > the change.
      >
      > Enlightenment will give me guidance on how to conduct my life. I
      > will be directed to change my behavior, and that will eventually
      > change my personality and I like my personality the way it is.
      >
      > It probably will take lifetimes to work out all my karma so lets
      just
      > enjoy life now and worry about working things out some other
      lifetime.

      > Off the top of my head, here are some positive things I can think
      of
      > about meditation. Maybe you can think of some more benefits.
      >
      > I will be a lot calmer about what is happening in my life. People
      > will find me a lot easier to be with.
      >
      > Problems in my subconscious that rule my actions will be revealed.
      >
      > Dreams will not bother me
      >
      > Anything in life can be dealt with
      >
      > I will be a benefit to others
      >
      > Life will get better for me
      >
      > Problems that I cannot solve myself I can turn over to the
      > enlightenment process

    • Jeff Belyea
      Message 2 of 23 , Mar 3, 2008
        Sean -

        While I am not an advocate
        of devotion to any one teacher,
        I do feel that a teacher who
        "appears" on your path with
        teachings that resonate as
        attractive and compelling
        can be valuable.

        A teacher who can speak authentically
        about their own experiences (which
        is the only premise for authenticity
        and the only platform for teaching)
        can inspire the student to believe in,
        expect, and move forward toward
        their greater potential and/or their
        desire for accomplishment - from
        anything from quitting smoking to
        finding peace of mind.

        Meditation, as you wrote, is
        easy and natural, but the mindset
        approaching meditation, and the
        nuances of "techniques" can
        make the difference between
        a quiet time of relaxation and
        the opening of a new door
        of perception.

        Best,

        Jeff

        <bethjams9@...> wrote:

        > I believe anybody that lives in the world faces these problems and
        we all have the answers to them. As for finding a teacher I
        personally would not follow any one teacher, I think teachers are all
        around you. Meditating like running, you don't need a coach or
        personal trainer to accomplish your goals. And I am speaking as
        someone who often gets caught up in the rigmarole of daily life and
        falls short of my potential.

        > westwindwood2003 <westwindwood2003@...> wrote: Here are
        all the problems I can think of at the moment in taking up
        > meditation. I list these, not because I wish to discourage
        > meditation, but to allow to can plan ahead. If one works out the
        > problems and issues ahead of time, success is more likely.
        >
        > One knows what they are doing with their life, why look at
        something
        > that requires disturbing the status quo. I don't need anything else
        > as my own clever mind to guide me in my life's decisions.
        >
        > Could meditation somehow hurt me in a psychological way?
        >
        > I will need approximately 45 minutes out of a busy day to meditate.
        >
        > Can I find a place to meditate with kids making noise and getting
        > into mischief; do I have a spouse or someone to watch the kids?
        >
        > What will my acquaintances and relatives think I am up to, trying
        > get out of chores?
        >
        > Feelings will surface in meditation I will have to do something
        about
        > to resolve them or the same feeling will come back again and again
        > with no resolution possible.
        >
        > I will have to find a teacher I trust, and how will I know if they
        > are trustworthy and wise. A lot of people are trying to make money
        on
        > meditators, for example just look at the Internet
        >
        > When enlightenment happens, I will suffer giving up my karma driven
        > ego attachments and will be find it is all I can do to get through
        > the change.
        >
        > Enlightenment will give me guidance on how to conduct my life. I
        > will be directed to change my behavior, and that will eventually
        > change my personality and I like my personality the way it is.
        >
        > It probably will take lifetimes to work out all my karma so lets
        just
        > enjoy life now and worry about working things out some other
        lifetime.

        > Off the top of my head, here are some positive things I can think
        of
        > about meditation. Maybe you can think of some more benefits.
        >
        > I will be a lot calmer about what is happening in my life. People
        > will find me a lot easier to be with.
        >
        > Problems in my subconscious that rule my actions will be revealed.
        >
        > Dreams will not bother me
        >
        > Anything in life can be dealt with
        >
        > I will be a benefit to others
        >
        > Life will get better for me
        >
        > Problems that I cannot solve myself I can turn over to the
        > enlightenment process
        >

        > ---------------------------------
        Try it now.

      • Jeff Belyea
        Message 3 of 23 , Mar 3, 2008
          To highlight one of the problems
          or resistances to truly entering
          meditation, it is important to
          recognize that a language barrier
          also exists.

          When "problems" are listed as
          preparation for meditation, the
          words do not resonate at the
          same depth for a beginning, or
          even experienced meditator, as
          they do for those who have
          been graced with crossing the
          threshold of enlightenment.

          For example, the mention of
          sufering when encountering
          the giving up of ego attachments
          - this feels like certain "death"
          when reached in full technocolor.

          Only the truly committed or
          truly desperate - those who
          are wiling to risk death -
          will take on this one. It is
          the turning back point for many
          dabblers in meditation.

          In essence, there is no possible
          preparation for what is experienced
          in depth meditation. It is beyond
          words or description. It cannot
          really be "sought" in any real
          sense. If peace of mind is sought,
          the manner in which it presents
          is startling, and in no way
          resembles any preconceived notion.
          The linear mind cannot anticipate
          or grasp the experience - yet, it
          delights in the result.

          <westwindwood2003@...> wrote:

          > Here are all the problems I can think of at the moment in taking up
          > meditation. I list these, not because I wish to discourage
          > meditation, but to allow to can plan ahead. If one works out the
          > problems and issues ahead of time, success is more likely.
          >

          > One knows what they are doing with their life, why look at
          something
          > that requires disturbing the status quo. I don't need anything else
          > as my own clever mind to guide me in my life's decisions.
          >
          > Could meditation somehow hurt me in a psychological way?
          >
          > I will need approximately 45 minutes out of a busy day to meditate.
          >
          > Can I find a place to meditate with kids making noise and getting
          > into mischief; do I have a spouse or someone to watch the kids?
          >
          > What will my acquaintances and relatives think I am up to, trying
          > get out of chores?
          >
          > Feelings will surface in meditation I will have to do something
          about
          > to resolve them or the same feeling will come back again and again
          > with no resolution possible.
          >
          > I will have to find a teacher I trust, and how will I know if they
          > are trustworthy and wise. A lot of people are trying to make money
          on
          > meditators, for example just look at the Internet
          >
          > When enlightenment happens, I will suffer giving up my karma driven
          > ego attachments and will be find it is all I can do to get through
          > the change.
          >
          > Enlightenment will give me guidance on how to conduct my life. I
          > will be directed to change my behavior, and that will eventually
          > change my personality and I like my personality the way it is.
          >
          > It probably will take lifetimes to work out all my karma so lets
          just
          > enjoy life now and worry about working things out some other
          lifetime.

          > Off the top of my head, here are some positive things I can think
          of
          > about meditation. Maybe you can think of some more benefits.
          >
          > I will be a lot calmer about what is happening in my life. People
          > will find me a lot easier to be with.
          >
          > Problems in my subconscious that rule my actions will be revealed.
          >
          > Dreams will not bother me
          >
          > Anything in life can be dealt with
          >
          > I will be a benefit to others
          >
          > Life will get better for me
          >
          > Problems that I cannot solve myself I can turn over to the
          > enlightenment process

        • sean tremblay
          Message 4 of 23 , Mar 5, 2008
            Agreed,
            Like in my fairly recent Ashtanga experiments, it's good to have a teacher to point out the small stuff like a quarter inch here or there.  But it still boils down to doing it. We can find our peace in many ways.  I have found it in Diving, submerged in an alien world leave all the hate and dicontent on the surface all you have is the rythme of your breathing echoing in the hat, the near wieghtlessness and your your project at hand.  I have found teachers who for a short time have left something of an impression, but I maintain that my greatest teachers have been the trailor park sages, vagabond poets, street ascetics and cowboy philosophers.

            <bethjams9@. ..> wrote:

            > I believe anybody that lives in the world faces these problems and
            we all have the answers to them. As for finding a teacher I
            personally would not follow any one teacher, I think teachers are all
            around you. Meditating like running, you don't need a coach or
            personal trainer to accomplish your goals. And I am speaking as
            someone who often gets caught up in the rigmarole of daily life and
            falls short of my potential.

            > westwindwood2003 <westwindwood2003@ ...> wrote: Here are
            all the problems I can think of at the moment in taking up
            > meditation. I list these, not because I wish to discourage
            > meditation, but to allow to can plan ahead. If one works out the
            > problems and issues ahead of time, success is more likely.
            >
            > One knows what they are doing with their life, why look at
            something
            > that requires disturbing the status quo. I don't need anything else
            > as my own clever mind to guide me in my life's decisions.
            >
            > Could meditation somehow hurt me in a psychological way?
            >
            > I will need approximately 45 minutes out of a busy day to meditate.
            >
            > Can I find a place to meditate with kids making noise and getting
            > into mischief; do I have a spouse or someone to watch the kids?
            >
            > What will my acquaintances and relatives think I am up to, trying
            > get out of chores?
            >
            > Feelings will surface in meditation I will have to do something
            about
            > to resolve them or the same feeling will come back again and again
            > with no resolution possible.
            >
            > I will have to find a teacher I trust, and how will I know if they
            > are trustworthy and wise. A lot of people are trying to make money
            on
            > meditators, for example just look at the Internet
            >
            > When enlightenment happens, I will suffer giving up my karma driven
            > ego attachments and will be find it is all I can do to get through
            > the change.
            >
            > Enlightenment will give me guidance on how to conduct my life. I
            > will be directed to change my behavior, and that will eventually
            > change my personality and I like my personality the way it is.
            >
            > It probably will take lifetimes to work out all my karma so lets
            just
            > enjoy life now and worry about working things out some other
            lifetime.

            > Off the top of my head, here are some positive things I can think
            of
            > about meditation. Maybe you can think of some more benefits.
            >
            > I will be a lot calmer about what is happening in my life. People
            > will find me a lot easier to be with.
            >
            > Problems in my subconscious that rule my actions will be revealed.
            >
            > Dreams will not bother me
            >
            > Anything in life can be dealt with
            >
            > I will be a benefit to others
            >
            > Life will get better for me
            >
            > Problems that I cannot solve myself I can turn over to the
            > enlightenment process
            >

            > ------------ --------- --------- ---
            Try it now.

          • Jeff Belyea
            Message 5 of 23 , Mar 5, 2008
              Great. You know where to
              draw the line.
              Nice roster of teachers.
              Obviously, you also know
              where to look for authenticity.

              <bethjams9@...> wrote:

> [...]
              > > will be directed to change my behavior, and that will eventually
              > > change my personality and I like my personality the way it is.
              > >
              > > It probably will take lifetimes to work out all my karma so lets
              > just
              > > enjoy life now and worry about working things out some other
              > lifetime.
              > >
              > > Off the top of my head, here are some positive things I can think
              > of
              > > about meditation. Maybe you can think of some more benefits.
              > >
              > > I will be a lot calmer about what is happening in my life. People
              > > will find me a lot easier to be with.
              > >
              > > Problems in my subconscious that rule my actions will be revealed.
              > >
              > > Dreams will not bother me
              > >
              > > Anything in life can be dealt with
              > >
              > > I will be a benefit to others
              > >
              > > Life will get better for me
              > >
              > > Problems that I cannot solve myself I can turn over to the

              Search.