Re: [Meditation Society of America] Re: Mullah Nasrudin Tells It Like It Is

  • sean tremblay
    Message 1 of 23 , Mar 1, 2008
      I believe anybody that lives in the world faces these problems and we all have the answers to them.  As for finding a teacher I personally would not follow any one teacher, I think teachers are all around you.  Meditating like running, you don't need a coach or personal trainer to accomplish your goals.  And I am speaking as someone who often gets caught up in the rigmarole of daily life and falls short of my potential.

      westwindwood2003 <westwindwood2003@...> wrote:
      Here are all the problems I can think of at the moment in taking up
      meditation. I list these, not because I wish to discourage
      meditation, but to allow to can plan ahead. If one works out the
      problems and issues ahead of time, success is more likely.

      One knows what they are doing with their life, why look at something
      that requires disturbing the status quo. I don't need anything else
      as my own clever mind to guide me in my life's decisions.

      Could meditation somehow hurt me in a psychological way?

      I will need approximately 45 minutes out of a busy day to meditate.

      Can I find a place to meditate with kids making noise and getting
      into mischief; do I have a spouse or someone to watch the kids?

      What will my acquaintances and relatives think I am up to, trying to
      get out of chores?

      Feelings will surface in meditation I will have to do something about
      to resolve them or the same feeling will come back again and again
      with no resolution possible.

      I will have to find a teacher I trust, and how will I know if they
      are trustworthy and wise. A lot of people are trying to make money on
      meditators, for example just look at the Internet

      When enlightenment happens, I will suffer giving up my karma driven
      ego attachments and will be find it is all I can do to get through
      the change.

      Enlightenment will give me guidance on how to conduct my life. I
      will be directed to change my behavior, and that will eventually
      change my personality and I like my personality the way it is.

      It probably will take lifetimes to work out all my karma so lets just
      enjoy life now and worry about working things out some other lifetime.

      Off the top of my head, here are some positive things I can think of
      about meditation. Maybe you can think of some more benefits.

      I will be a lot calmer about what is happening in my life. People
      will find me a lot easier to be with.

      Problems in my subconscious that rule my actions will be revealed.

      Dreams will not bother me

      Anything in life can be dealt with

      I will be a benefit to others

      Life will get better for me

      Problems that I cannot solve myself I can turn over to the
      enlightenment process

    • jogeshwarmahanta
      Message 2 of 23 , Mar 1, 2008
        So long one searches 45 minutes a day he/she can never progress. It
        is 24 hours affair. For that, I have made myself a DWCL(Daily Wager
        Continuous Labourer). Continuous means shayane/in sleep,swapane/in
        dream, jagarane/in waking state and in diversone/in diverson.

        If one needs wage how can he/she neglect the labour?
        regards

        --- In
        meditationsocietyofamerica@yahoogroups.com, "westwindwood2003"
        <westwindwood2003@...> wrote:

        > Here are all the problems I can think of at the moment in taking
        up
        > meditation. I list these, not because I wish to discourage
        > meditation, but to allow to can plan ahead. If one works out the
        > problems and issues ahead of time, success is more likely.
        >

        > One knows what they are doing with their life, why look at
        something
        > that requires disturbing the status quo. I don't need anything
        else
        > as my own clever mind to guide me in my life's decisions.
        >
        > Could meditation somehow hurt me in a psychological way?
        >
        > I will need approximately 45 minutes out of a busy day to meditate.
        >
        > Can I find a place to meditate with kids making noise and getting
        > into mischief; do I have a spouse or someone to watch the kids?
        >
        > What will my acquaintances and relatives think I am up to, trying
        > get out of chores?
        >
        > Feelings will surface in meditation I will have to do something
        about
        > to resolve them or the same feeling will come back again and again
        > with no resolution possible.
        >
        > I will have to find a teacher I trust, and how will I know if they
        > are trustworthy and wise. A lot of people are trying to make money
        on
        > meditators, for example just look at the Internet
        >
        > When enlightenment happens, I will suffer giving up my karma
        driven
        > ego attachments and will be find it is all I can do to get through
        > the change.
        >
        > Enlightenment will give me guidance on how to conduct my life. I
        > will be directed to change my behavior, and that will eventually
        > change my personality and I like my personality the way it is.
        >
        > It probably will take lifetimes to work out all my karma so lets
        just
        > enjoy life now and worry about working things out some other
        lifetime.

        > Off the top of my head, here are some positive things I can think
        of
        > about meditation. Maybe you can think of some more benefits.
        >
        > I will be a lot calmer about what is happening in my life. People
        > will find me a lot easier to be with.
        >
        > Problems in my subconscious that rule my actions will be revealed.
        >
        > Dreams will not bother me
        >
        > Anything in life can be dealt with
        >
        > I will be a benefit to others
        >
        > Life will get better for me
        >
        > Problems that I cannot solve myself I can turn over to the
        > enlightenment process

      • Jeff Belyea
        Message 3 of 23 , Mar 3, 2008
          Sean -

          While I am not an advocate
          of devotion to any one teacher,
          I do feel that a teacher who
          "appears" on your path with
          teachings that resonate as
          attractive and compelling
          can be valuable.

          A teacher who can speak authentically
          about their own experiences (which
          is the only premise for authenticity
          and the only platform for teaching)
          can inspire the student to believe in,
          expect, and move forward toward
          their greater potential and/or their
          desire for accomplishment - from
          anything from quitting smoking to
          finding peace of mind.

          Meditation, as you wrote, is
          easy and natural, but the mindset
          approaching meditation, and the
          nuances of "techniques" can
          make the difference between
          a quiet time of relaxation and
          the opening of a new door
          of perception.

          Best,

          Jeff

          <bethjams9@...> wrote:

          > I believe anybody that lives in the world faces these problems and
          we all have the answers to them. As for finding a teacher I
          personally would not follow any one teacher, I think teachers are all
          around you. Meditating like running, you don't need a coach or
          personal trainer to accomplish your goals. And I am speaking as
          someone who often gets caught up in the rigmarole of daily life and
          falls short of my potential.

          > westwindwood2003 <westwindwood2003@...> wrote: Here are
          all the problems I can think of at the moment in taking up
          > meditation. I list these, not because I wish to discourage
          > meditation, but to allow to can plan ahead. If one works out the
          > problems and issues ahead of time, success is more likely.
          >
          > One knows what they are doing with their life, why look at
          something
          > that requires disturbing the status quo. I don't need anything else
          > as my own clever mind to guide me in my life's decisions.
          >
          > Could meditation somehow hurt me in a psychological way?
          >
          > I will need approximately 45 minutes out of a busy day to meditate.
          >
          > Can I find a place to meditate with kids making noise and getting
          > into mischief; do I have a spouse or someone to watch the kids?
          >
          > What will my acquaintances and relatives think I am up to, trying
          > get out of chores?
          >
          > Feelings will surface in meditation I will have to do something
          about
          > to resolve them or the same feeling will come back again and again
          > with no resolution possible.
          >
          > I will have to find a teacher I trust, and how will I know if they
          > are trustworthy and wise. A lot of people are trying to make money
          on
          > meditators, for example just look at the Internet
          >
          > When enlightenment happens, I will suffer giving up my karma driven
          > ego attachments and will be find it is all I can do to get through
          > the change.
          >
          > Enlightenment will give me guidance on how to conduct my life. I
          > will be directed to change my behavior, and that will eventually
          > change my personality and I like my personality the way it is.
          >
          > It probably will take lifetimes to work out all my karma so lets
          just
          > enjoy life now and worry about working things out some other
          lifetime.

          > Off the top of my head, here are some positive things I can think
          of
          > about meditation. Maybe you can think of some more benefits.
          >
          > I will be a lot calmer about what is happening in my life. People
          > will find me a lot easier to be with.
          >
          > Problems in my subconscious that rule my actions will be revealed.
          >
          > Dreams will not bother me
          >
          > Anything in life can be dealt with
          >
          > I will be a benefit to others
          >
          > Life will get better for me
          >
          > Problems that I cannot solve myself I can turn over to the
          > enlightenment process
          >

          > ---------------------------------
          Try it now.

        • Jeff Belyea
          Message 4 of 23 , Mar 3, 2008
            To highlight one of the problems
            or resistances to truly entering
            meditation, it is important to
            recognize that a language barrier
            also exists.

            When "problems" are listed as
            preparation for meditation, the
            words do not resonate at the
            same depth for a beginning, or
            even experienced meditator, as
            they do for those who have
            been graced with crossing the
            threshold of enlightenment.

            For example, the mention of
            sufering when encountering
            the giving up of ego attachments
            - this feels like certain "death"
            when reached in full technocolor.

            Only the truly committed or
            truly desperate - those who
            are wiling to risk death -
            will take on this one. It is
            the turning back point for many
            dabblers in meditation.

            In essence, there is no possible
            preparation for what is experienced
            in depth meditation. It is beyond
            words or description. It cannot
            really be "sought" in any real
            sense. If peace of mind is sought,
            the manner in which it presents
            is startling, and in no way
            resembles any preconceived notion.
            The linear mind cannot anticipate
            or grasp the experience - yet, it
            delights in the result.

            <westwindwood2003@...> wrote:

            > Here are all the problems I can think of at the moment in taking up
            > meditation. I list these, not because I wish to discourage
            > meditation, but to allow to can plan ahead. If one works out the
            > problems and issues ahead of time, success is more likely.
            >

            > One knows what they are doing with their life, why look at
            something
            > that requires disturbing the status quo. I don't need anything else
            > as my own clever mind to guide me in my life's decisions.
            >
            > Could meditation somehow hurt me in a psychological way?
            >
            > I will need approximately 45 minutes out of a busy day to meditate.
            >
            > Can I find a place to meditate with kids making noise and getting
            > into mischief; do I have a spouse or someone to watch the kids?
            >
            > What will my acquaintances and relatives think I am up to, trying
            > get out of chores?
            >
            > Feelings will surface in meditation I will have to do something
            about
            > to resolve them or the same feeling will come back again and again
            > with no resolution possible.
            >
            > I will have to find a teacher I trust, and how will I know if they
            > are trustworthy and wise. A lot of people are trying to make money
            on
            > meditators, for example just look at the Internet
            >
            > When enlightenment happens, I will suffer giving up my karma driven
            > ego attachments and will be find it is all I can do to get through
            > the change.
            >
            > Enlightenment will give me guidance on how to conduct my life. I
            > will be directed to change my behavior, and that will eventually
            > change my personality and I like my personality the way it is.
            >
            > It probably will take lifetimes to work out all my karma so lets
            just
            > enjoy life now and worry about working things out some other
            lifetime.

            > Off the top of my head, here are some positive things I can think
            of
            > about meditation. Maybe you can think of some more benefits.
            >
            > I will be a lot calmer about what is happening in my life. People
            > will find me a lot easier to be with.
            >
            > Problems in my subconscious that rule my actions will be revealed.
            >
            > Dreams will not bother me
            >
            > Anything in life can be dealt with
            >
            > I will be a benefit to others
            >
            > Life will get better for me
            >
            > Problems that I cannot solve myself I can turn over to the
            > enlightenment process

          • sean tremblay
            Message 5 of 23 , Mar 5, 2008
              Agreed,
              Like in my fairly recent Ashtanga experiments, it's good to have a teacher to point out the small stuff like a quarter inch here or there.  But it still boils down to doing it. We can find our peace in many ways.  I have found it in Diving, submerged in an alien world leave all the hate and dicontent on the surface all you have is the rythme of your breathing echoing in the hat, the near wieghtlessness and your your project at hand.  I have found teachers who for a short time have left something of an impression, but I maintain that my greatest teachers have been the trailor park sages, vagabond poets, street ascetics and cowboy philosophers.

              <bethjams9@. ..> wrote:

              > I believe anybody that lives in the world faces these problems and
              we all have the answers to them. As for finding a teacher I
              personally would not follow any one teacher, I think teachers are all
              around you. Meditating like running, you don't need a coach or
              personal trainer to accomplish your goals. And I am speaking as
              someone who often gets caught up in the rigmarole of daily life and
              falls short of my potential.

              > westwindwood2003 <westwindwood2003@ ...> wrote: Here are
              all the problems I can think of at the moment in taking up
              > meditation. I list these, not because I wish to discourage
              > meditation, but to allow to can plan ahead. If one works out the
              > problems and issues ahead of time, success is more likely.
              >
              > One knows what they are doing with their life, why look at
              something
              > that requires disturbing the status quo. I don't need anything else
              > as my own clever mind to guide me in my life's decisions.
              >
              > Could meditation somehow hurt me in a psychological way?
              >
              > I will need approximately 45 minutes out of a busy day to meditate.
              >
              > Can I find a place to meditate with kids making noise and getting
              > into mischief; do I have a spouse or someone to watch the kids?
              >
              > What will my acquaintances and relatives think I am up to, trying
              > get out of chores?
              >
              > Feelings will surface in meditation I will have to do something
              about
              > to resolve them or the same feeling will come back again and again
              > with no resolution possible.
              >
              > I will have to find a teacher I trust, and how will I know if they
              > are trustworthy and wise. A lot of people are trying to make money
              on
              > meditators, for example just look at the Internet
              >
              > When enlightenment happens, I will suffer giving up my karma driven
              > ego attachments and will be find it is all I can do to get through
              > the change.
              >
              > Enlightenment will give me guidance on how to conduct my life. I
              > will be directed to change my behavior, and that will eventually
              > change my personality and I like my personality the way it is.
              >
              > It probably will take lifetimes to work out all my karma so lets
              just
              > enjoy life now and worry about working things out some other
              lifetime.

              > Off the top of my head, here are some positive things I can think
              of
              > about meditation. Maybe you can think of some more benefits.
              >
              > I will be a lot calmer about what is happening in my life. People
              > will find me a lot easier to be with.
              >
              > Problems in my subconscious that rule my actions will be revealed.
              >
              > Dreams will not bother me
              >
              > Anything in life can be dealt with
              >
              > I will be a benefit to others
              >
              > Life will get better for me
              >
              > Problems that I cannot solve myself I can turn over to the
              > enlightenment process
              >

              > ------------ --------- --------- ---
              Try it now.

            • Jeff Belyea
              Message 6 of 23 , Mar 5, 2008
                Great. You know where to
                draw the line.
                Nice roster of teachers.
                Obviously, you also know
                where to look for authenticity.

                <bethjams9@...> wrote:

> [...]
                > > will be directed to change my behavior, and that will eventually
                > > change my personality and I like my personality the way it is.
                > >
                > > It probably will take lifetimes to work out all my karma so lets
                > just
                > > enjoy life now and worry about working things out some other
                > lifetime.
                > >
                > > Off the top of my head, here are some positive things I can think
                > of
                > > about meditation. Maybe you can think of some more benefits.
                > >
                > > I will be a lot calmer about what is happening in my life. People
                > > will find me a lot easier to be with.
                > >
                > > Problems in my subconscious that rule my actions will be revealed.
                > >
                > > Dreams will not bother me
                > >
                > > Anything in life can be dealt with
                > >
                > > I will be a benefit to others
                > >
                > > Life will get better for me
                > >
                > > Problems that I cannot solve myself I can turn over to the

                Search.