[Meditation Society of America] Re: Mullah Nasrudin Tells It Like It Is

  • jogeshwarmahanta
    Message 1 of 23 , Feb 28, 2008
      Very beautiful account.
      regards

      --- In
      meditationsocietyofamerica@yahoogroups.com, "westwindwood2003"
      <westwindwood2003@...> wrote:

> [...]
      > back on what led to enlightenment, I believe I was just ready to
      pick
      > up that working on my karma. I almost didn't do follow that path
      > that enlightenment facilitates, somehow God recognized that I
      could
      > do the work because I had reached a situation where I knew I
      needed
      > help with an unsatisfactory life of mine. I do not think
      > enlightenment would have happened unless I was at the point of
      giving
      > my life over to that direction found in enlightenment.
      >
      > --- In meditationsocietyofamerica@yahoogroups.com, Gregory Hoffman
      > <magicalmanhattan@> wrote:
      > >
      > > Dear John,
      > >
      > > What I notice, is that God's intentions are too mysterious for
      > the mind to comprehend. God is doing an infinite number of things
      at
      > once, and he knows exactly why he is doing each one. A speck of
      dust
      > does not fall off of a table, without God planning it. I think
      that
      > is why Indian Gods have so many arms and legs; in order to convey
      > God's incredible consioucness, which is able to do so many things
      at
      > once, with perfect planning.
      > >
      > > The individual personality, my own included, takes everything
      > that God does, and complains about it.
      > >
      > > But, God is always acting in our interest, even if it seems
      > terrible.
      > >
      > > The best thing is to follow the rules, the "Torah," if you
      will,
      > that is written in every man's heart.
      > >
      > > Every man knows when he is doing the right thing. It does not
      > matter what other people do. It only matters what you do.
      > >
      > > And as men, our needs must always come last, or be put in the
      > perscpective of being met to the degree that we are best able to
      > serve God.
      > >
      > > If these rules are followed, God will always give you exactly
      > what you need to grow, and become closer to him. It may not be
      what
      > you want, in order to make "yourself," happy, but it will be what
      you
      > need.
      > >
      > > That is what I notice.
      > >
      > > What do you think.
      > > Your Friend,
      > > Greg
      > >
      > > John Balch <westwindwood2003@> wrote:
      > > Anyone who takes up meditation and works at it will
      > eventually find out God's intention.
      > >
      > > jogeshwarmahanta <jogeshwarmahanta@> wrote: "You just
      > > do what God wants with wholehearted cooperation."
      > >
      > > Who does know the intention of God?
      > > regards
      > >
      > > --- In
      > > meditationsocietyofamerica@yahoogroups.com, "westwindwood2003"
      > > <westwindwood2003@> wrote:

      > > medit8ionsociety

      > > > If you are a meditator, the inevitable unfolds in your life.
      You
      > > just
      > > > do what God wants with wholehearted cooperation.
      > > >

      > > ---------------------------------

    • westwindwood2003
      Message 2 of 23 , Mar 1, 2008
        Here are all the problems I can think of at the moment in taking up
        meditation. I list these, not because I wish to discourage
        meditation, but to allow to can plan ahead. If one works out the
        problems and issues ahead of time, success is more likely.

        One knows what they are doing with their life, why look at something
        that requires disturbing the status quo. I don't need anything else
        as my own clever mind to guide me in my life's decisions.

        Could meditation somehow hurt me in a psychological way?

        I will need approximately 45 minutes out of a busy day to meditate.

        Can I find a place to meditate with kids making noise and getting
        into mischief; do I have a spouse or someone to watch the kids?

        What will my acquaintances and relatives think I am up to, trying to
        get out of chores?

        Feelings will surface in meditation I will have to do something about
        to resolve them or the same feeling will come back again and again
        with no resolution possible.

        I will have to find a teacher I trust, and how will I know if they
        are trustworthy and wise. A lot of people are trying to make money on
        meditators, for example just look at the Internet

        When enlightenment happens, I will suffer giving up my karma driven
        ego attachments and will be find it is all I can do to get through
        the change.

        Enlightenment will give me guidance on how to conduct my life. I
        will be directed to change my behavior, and that will eventually
        change my personality and I like my personality the way it is.

        It probably will take lifetimes to work out all my karma so lets just
        enjoy life now and worry about working things out some other lifetime.

        Off the top of my head, here are some positive things I can think of
        about meditation. Maybe you can think of some more benefits.

        I will be a lot calmer about what is happening in my life. People
        will find me a lot easier to be with.

        Problems in my subconscious that rule my actions will be revealed.

        Dreams will not bother me

        Anything in life can be dealt with

        I will be a benefit to others

        Life will get better for me

        Problems that I cannot solve myself I can turn over to the
        enlightenment process
      • sean tremblay

          Message 4 of 23 , Mar 1, 2008
            So long one searches 45 minutes a day he/she can never progress. It
            is 24 hours affair. For that, I have made myself a DWCL(Daily Wager
            Continuous Labourer). Continuous means shayane/in sleep,swapane/in
            dream, jagarane/in waking state and in diversone/in diverson.

            If one needs wage how can he/she neglect the labour?

            <westwindwood2003@...> wrote:

            > Here are all the problems I can think of at the moment in taking
            up
            > meditation. I list these, not because I wish to discourage
            > meditation, but to allow to can plan ahead. If one works out the
            > problems and issues ahead of time, success is more likely.
            >

            > One knows what they are doing with their life, why look at
            something
            > that requires disturbing the status quo. I don't need anything
            else
            > as my own clever mind to guide me in my life's decisions.
            >
            > Could meditation somehow hurt me in a psychological way?
            >
            > I will need approximately 45 minutes out of a busy day to meditate.
            >
            > Can I find a place to meditate with kids making noise and getting
            > into mischief; do I have a spouse or someone to watch the kids?
            >
            > What will my acquaintances and relatives think I am up to, trying
            > get out of chores?
            >
            > Feelings will surface in meditation I will have to do something
            about
            > to resolve them or the same feeling will come back again and again
            > with no resolution possible.
            >
            > I will have to find a teacher I trust, and how will I know if they
            > are trustworthy and wise. A lot of people are trying to make money
            on
            > meditators, for example just look at the Internet
            >
            > When enlightenment happens, I will suffer giving up my karma
            driven
            > ego attachments and will be find it is all I can do to get through
            > the change.
            >
            > Enlightenment will give me guidance on how to conduct my life. I
            > will be directed to change my behavior, and that will eventually
            > change my personality and I like my personality the way it is.
            >
            > It probably will take lifetimes to work out all my karma so lets
            just
            > enjoy life now and worry about working things out some other
            lifetime.

            > Off the top of my head, here are some positive things I can think
            of
            > about meditation. Maybe you can think of some more benefits.
            >
            > I will be a lot calmer about what is happening in my life. People
            > will find me a lot easier to be with.
            >
            > Problems in my subconscious that rule my actions will be revealed.
            >
            > Dreams will not bother me
            >
            > Anything in life can be dealt with
            >
            > I will be a benefit to others
            >
            > Life will get better for me
            >
            > Problems that I cannot solve myself I can turn over to the
            > enlightenment process

          • Jeff Belyea
            Message 5 of 23 , Mar 3, 2008
              Sean -

              While I am not an advocate
              of devotion to any one teacher,
              I do feel that a teacher who
              "appears" on your path with
              teachings that resonate as
              attractive and compelling
              can be valuable.

              A teacher who can speak authentically
              about their own experiences (which
              is the only premise for authenticity
              and the only platform for teaching)
              can inspire the student to believe in,
              expect, and move forward toward
              their greater potential and/or their
              desire for accomplishment - from
              anything from quitting smoking to
              finding peace of mind.

              Meditation, as you wrote, is
              easy and natural, but the mindset
              approaching meditation, and the
              nuances of "techniques" can
              make the difference between
              a quiet time of relaxation and
              the opening of a new door
              of perception.

              Best,

              Jeff

              <bethjams9@...> wrote:

              > I believe anybody that lives in the world faces these problems and
              we all have the answers to them. As for finding a teacher I
              personally would not follow any one teacher, I think teachers are all
              around you. Meditating like running, you don't need a coach or
              personal trainer to accomplish your goals. And I am speaking as
              someone who often gets caught up in the rigmarole of daily life and
              falls short of my potential.

              > westwindwood2003 <westwindwood2003@...> wrote: Here are
              all the problems I can think of at the moment in taking up
              > meditation. I list these, not because I wish to discourage
              > meditation, but to allow to can plan ahead. If one works out the
              > problems and issues ahead of time, success is more likely.
              >
              > One knows what they are doing with their life, why look at
              something
              > that requires disturbing the status quo. I don't need anything else
              > as my own clever mind to guide me in my life's decisions.
              >
              > Could meditation somehow hurt me in a psychological way?
              >
              > I will need approximately 45 minutes out of a busy day to meditate.
              >
              > Can I find a place to meditate with kids making noise and getting
              > into mischief; do I have a spouse or someone to watch the kids?
              >
              > What will my acquaintances and relatives think I am up to, trying
              > get out of chores?
              >
              > Feelings will surface in meditation I will have to do something
              about
              > to resolve them or the same feeling will come back again and again
              > with no resolution possible.
              >
              > I will have to find a teacher I trust, and how will I know if they
              > are trustworthy and wise. A lot of people are trying to make money
              on
              > meditators, for example just look at the Internet
              >
              > When enlightenment happens, I will suffer giving up my karma driven
              > ego attachments and will be find it is all I can do to get through
              > the change.
              >
              > Enlightenment will give me guidance on how to conduct my life. I
              > will be directed to change my behavior, and that will eventually
              > change my personality and I like my personality the way it is.
              >
              > It probably will take lifetimes to work out all my karma so lets
              just
              > enjoy life now and worry about working things out some other
              lifetime.

              > Off the top of my head, here are some positive things I can think
              of
              > about meditation. Maybe you can think of some more benefits.
              >
              > I will be a lot calmer about what is happening in my life. People
              > will find me a lot easier to be with.
              >
              > Problems in my subconscious that rule my actions will be revealed.
              >
              > Dreams will not bother me
              >
              > Anything in life can be dealt with
              >
              > I will be a benefit to others
              >
              > Life will get better for me
              >
              > Problems that I cannot solve myself I can turn over to the
              > enlightenment process
              >

              > ---------------------------------
              Try it now.

            • Jeff Belyea
              Message 6 of 23 , Mar 3, 2008
                To highlight one of the problems
                or resistances to truly entering
                meditation, it is important to
                recognize that a language barrier
                also exists.

                When "problems" are listed as
                preparation for meditation, the
                words do not resonate at the
                same depth for a beginning, or
                even experienced meditator, as
                they do for those who have
                been graced with crossing the
                threshold of enlightenment.

                For example, the mention of
                sufering when encountering
                the giving up of ego attachments
                - this feels like certain "death"
                when reached in full technocolor.

                Only the truly committed or
                truly desperate - those who
                are wiling to risk death -
                will take on this one. It is
                the turning back point for many
                dabblers in meditation.

                In essence, there is no possible
                preparation for what is experienced
                in depth meditation. It is beyond
                words or description. It cannot
                really be "sought" in any real
                sense. If peace of mind is sought,
                the manner in which it presents
                is startling, and in no way
                resembles any preconceived notion.
                The linear mind cannot anticipate
                or grasp the experience - yet, it
                delights in the result.

                <westwindwood2003@...> wrote:

                > Here are all the problems I can think of at the moment in taking up
                > meditation. I list these, not because I wish to discourage
                > meditation, but to allow to can plan ahead. If one works out the
                > problems and issues ahead of time, success is more likely.
                >

                > One knows what they are doing with their life, why look at
                something
                > that requires disturbing the status quo. I don't need anything else
                > as my own clever mind to guide me in my life's decisions.
                >
                > Could meditation somehow hurt me in a psychological way?
                >
                > I will need approximately 45 minutes out of a busy day to meditate.
                >
                > Can I find a place to meditate with kids making noise and getting
                > into mischief; do I have a spouse or someone to watch the kids?
                >
                > What will my acquaintances and relatives think I am up to, trying
                > get out of chores?
                >
                > Feelings will surface in meditation I will have to do something
                about
                > to resolve them or the same feeling will come back again and again
                > with no resolution possible.
                >
                > I will have to find a teacher I trust, and how will I know if they
                > are trustworthy and wise. A lot of people are trying to make money
                on
                > meditators, for example just look at the Internet
                >
                > When enlightenment happens, I will suffer giving up my karma driven
                > ego attachments and will be find it is all I can do to get through
                > the change.
                >
                > Enlightenment will give me guidance on how to conduct my life. I
                > will be directed to change my behavior, and that will eventually
                > change my personality and I like my personality the way it is.
                >
                > It probably will take lifetimes to work out all my karma so lets
                just
                > enjoy life now and worry about working things out some other
                lifetime.

                > Off the top of my head, here are some positive things I can think
                of
                > about meditation. Maybe you can think of some more benefits.
                >
                > I will be a lot calmer about what is happening in my life. People
                > will find me a lot easier to be with.
                >
                > Problems in my subconscious that rule my actions will be revealed.
                >
                > Dreams will not bother me
                >
                > Anything in life can be dealt with
                >
                > I will be a benefit to others
                >
                > Life will get better for me
                >
                > Problems that I cannot solve myself I can turn over to the
                > enlightenment process

              • sean tremblay
                Message 7 of 23 , Mar 5, 2008
                  Agreed,
                  Like in my fairly recent Ashtanga experiments, it's good to have a teacher to point out the small stuff like a quarter inch here or there.  But it still boils down to doing it. We can find our peace in many ways.  I have found it in Diving, submerged in an alien world leave all the hate and dicontent on the surface all you have is the rythme of your breathing echoing in the hat, the near wieghtlessness and your your project at hand.  I have found teachers who for a short time have left something of an impression, but I maintain that my greatest teachers have been the trailor park sages, vagabond poets, street ascetics and cowboy philosophers.

                  <bethjams9@. ..> wrote:

                  > I believe anybody that lives in the world faces these problems and
                  we all have the answers to them. As for finding a teacher I
                  personally would not follow any one teacher, I think teachers are all
                  around you. Meditating like running, you don't need a coach or
                  personal trainer to accomplish your goals. And I am speaking as
                  someone who often gets caught up in the rigmarole of daily life and
                  falls short of my potential.

                  > westwindwood2003 <westwindwood2003@ ...> wrote: Here are
                  all the problems I can think of at the moment in taking up
                  > meditation. I list these, not because I wish to discourage
                  > meditation, but to allow to can plan ahead. If one works out the
                  > problems and issues ahead of time, success is more likely.
                  >
                  > One knows what they are doing with their life, why look at
                  something
                  > that requires disturbing the status quo. I don't need anything else
                  > as my own clever mind to guide me in my life's decisions.
                  >
                  > Could meditation somehow hurt me in a psychological way?
                  >
                  > I will need approximately 45 minutes out of a busy day to meditate.
                  >
                  > Can I find a place to meditate with kids making noise and getting
                  > into mischief; do I have a spouse or someone to watch the kids?
                  >
                  > What will my acquaintances and relatives think I am up to, trying
                  > get out of chores?
                  >
                  > Feelings will surface in meditation I will have to do something
                  about
                  > to resolve them or the same feeling will come back again and again
                  > with no resolution possible.
                  >
                  > I will have to find a teacher I trust, and how will I know if they
                  > are trustworthy and wise. A lot of people are trying to make money
                  on
                  > meditators, for example just look at the Internet
                  >
                  > When enlightenment happens, I will suffer giving up my karma driven
                  > ego attachments and will be find it is all I can do to get through
                  > the change.
                  >
                  > Enlightenment will give me guidance on how to conduct my life. I
                  > will be directed to change my behavior, and that will eventually
                  > change my personality and I like my personality the way it is.
                  >
                  > It probably will take lifetimes to work out all my karma so lets
                  just
                  > enjoy life now and worry about working things out some other
                  lifetime.

                  > Off the top of my head, here are some positive things I can think
                  of
                  > about meditation. Maybe you can think of some more benefits.
                  >
                  > I will be a lot calmer about what is happening in my life. People
                  > will find me a lot easier to be with.
                  >
                  > Problems in my subconscious that rule my actions will be revealed.
                  >
                  > Dreams will not bother me
                  >
                  > Anything in life can be dealt with
                  >
                  > I will be a benefit to others
                  >
                  > Life will get better for me
                  >
                  > Problems that I cannot solve myself I can turn over to the
                  > enlightenment process
                  >

                  > ------------ --------- --------- ---
                  Try it now.

                • Jeff Belyea
                  Message 8 of 23 , Mar 5, 2008
                    Great. You know where to
                    draw the line.
                    Nice roster of teachers.
                    Obviously, you also know
                    where to look for authenticity.

                    <bethjams9@...> wrote:

> [...]
                    > > will be directed to change my behavior, and that will eventually
                    > > change my personality and I like my personality the way it is.
                    > >
                    > > It probably will take lifetimes to work out all my karma so lets
                    > just
                    > > enjoy life now and worry about working things out some other
                    > lifetime.
                    > >
                    > > Off the top of my head, here are some positive things I can think
                    > of
                    > > about meditation. Maybe you can think of some more benefits.
                    > >
                    > > I will be a lot calmer about what is happening in my life. People
                    > > will find me a lot easier to be with.
                    > >
                    > > Problems in my subconscious that rule my actions will be revealed.
                    > >
                    > > Dreams will not bother me
                    > >
                    > > Anything in life can be dealt with
                    > >
                    > > I will be a benefit to others
                    > >
                    > > Life will get better for me
                    > >
                    > > Problems that I cannot solve myself I can turn over to the

                    Search.