[Meditation Society of America] Re: Mullah Nasrudin Tells It Like It Is

  • westwindwood2003
    Message 1 of 23 , Feb 28, 2008
      My fate is based on my past karma, my past actions, and that has to
      frame my ongoing experience to live. You could say I do not know
      God's plan and just go with fate, but I do have free will in this
      enfolding life to go with God's suggestions about how I should work
      out karma. In the past I did certain things and that has made me
      what I am, my personality. The situation I am in moment to moment
      comes into awareness with meditation. I can discern what that is and
      get answers on how to proceed if I am enlightened. What I mean by
      enlightened is that at one point in my existence on earth, I had an
      experience of meeting God. If I desire, I can have that experience
      again and again while meditating and get God's wisdom to do the
      actions that I should in order to work out my karma. Actual answers
      come to me that are consistent, hurt no one, are not of my
      personality because I would rather do as my ego wants, and I just
      have to do it to make things better, change my karma. In looking
      back on what led to enlightenment, I believe I was just ready to pick
      up that working on my karma. I almost didn't do follow that path
      that enlightenment facilitates, somehow God recognized that I could
      do the work because I had reached a situation where I knew I needed
      help with an unsatisfactory life of mine. I do not think
      enlightenment would have happened unless I was at the point of giving
      my life over to that direction found in enlightenment.

      --- In meditationsocietyofamerica@yahoogroups.com, Gregory Hoffman
      <magicalmanhattan@...> wrote:

      > Dear John,
      >
      > What I notice, is that God's intentions are too mysterious for
      the mind to comprehend. God is doing an infinite number of things at
      once, and he knows exactly why he is doing each one. A speck of dust
      does not fall off of a table, without God planning it. I think that
      is why Indian Gods have so many arms and legs; in order to convey
      God's incredible consioucness, which is able to do so many things at
      once, with perfect planning.

      > The individual personality, my own included, takes everything
      that God does, and complains about it.

      > But, God is always acting in our interest, even if it seems
      terrible.

      > The best thing is to follow the rules, the "Torah," if you will,
      that is written in every man's heart.

      > Every man knows when he is doing the right thing. It does not
      matter what other people do. It only matters what you do.

      > And as men, our needs must always come last, or be put in the
      perscpective of being met to the degree that we are best able to
      serve God.

      > If these rules are followed, God will always give you exactly
      what you need to grow, and become closer to him. It may not be what
      you want, in order to make "yourself," happy, but it will be what you
      need.

      > That is what I notice.
      >
      > What do you think.
      > Your Friend,
      > Greg
      >
      > John Balch <westwindwood2003@...> wrote:
      > Anyone who takes up meditation and works at it will
      eventually find out God's intention.

      > jogeshwarmahanta <jogeshwarmahanta@...> wrote: "You just
      > do what God wants with wholehearted cooperation."
      >
      > Who does know the intention of God?
      > regards
      >
      > --- In
      > meditationsocietyofamerica@yahoogroups.com, "westwindwood2003"
      > <westwindwood2003@> wrote:

      > medit8ionsociety
      > > <no_reply@> wrote:
      > > >
      > > > A student asked Nasrudin:
      > > > "What is the secret of your serenity?"
      > > > The Mullah answered:
      > > > "Wholehearted cooperation with the inevitable."
      > > >
      > > If you are a meditator, the inevitable unfolds in your life. You
      > just
      > > do what God wants with wholehearted cooperation.
      > >

      > ---------------------------------

    • jogeshwarmahanta
      Message 2 of 23 , Feb 28, 2008
        Very beautiful account.

        <westwindwood2003@...> wrote:

> [...]
        you
        > need.
        > >
        > > That is what I notice.
        > >
        > > What do you think.
        > > Your Friend,
        > > Greg
        > >
        > > John Balch <westwindwood2003@> wrote:
        > > Anyone who takes up meditation and works at it will
        > eventually find out God's intention.
        > >
        > > jogeshwarmahanta <jogeshwarmahanta@> wrote: "You just
        > > do what God wants with wholehearted cooperation."
        > >
        > > Who does know the intention of God?
        > > regards
        > >
        > > --- In
        > > meditationsocietyofamerica@yahoogroups.com, "westwindwood2003"
        > > <westwindwood2003@> wrote:

        > > medit8ionsociety

        > > > If you are a meditator, the inevitable unfolds in your life.
        You
        > > just
        > > > do what God wants with wholehearted cooperation.

      • westwindwood2003
        Message 3 of 23 , Mar 1, 2008
          Here are all the problems I can think of at the moment in taking up
          meditation. I list these, not because I wish to discourage
          meditation, but to allow to can plan ahead. If one works out the
          problems and issues ahead of time, success is more likely.

          One knows what they are doing with their life, why look at something
          that requires disturbing the status quo. I don't need anything else
          as my own clever mind to guide me in my life's decisions.

          Could meditation somehow hurt me in a psychological way?

          I will need approximately 45 minutes out of a busy day to meditate.

          Can I find a place to meditate with kids making noise and getting
          into mischief; do I have a spouse or someone to watch the kids?

          What will my acquaintances and relatives think I am up to, trying to
          get out of chores?

          Feelings will surface in meditation I will have to do something about
          to resolve them or the same feeling will come back again and again
          with no resolution possible.

          I will have to find a teacher I trust, and how will I know if they
          are trustworthy and wise. A lot of people are trying to make money on
          meditators, for example just look at the Internet

          When enlightenment happens, I will suffer giving up my karma driven
          ego attachments and will be find it is all I can do to get through
          the change.

          Enlightenment will give me guidance on how to conduct my life. I
          will be directed to change my behavior, and that will eventually
          change my personality and I like my personality the way it is.

          It probably will take lifetimes to work out all my karma so lets just
          enjoy life now and worry about working things out some other lifetime.

          Off the top of my head, here are some positive things I can think of
          about meditation. Maybe you can think of some more benefits.

          I will be a lot calmer about what is happening in my life. People
          will find me a lot easier to be with.

          Problems in my subconscious that rule my actions will be revealed.

          Dreams will not bother me

          Anything in life can be dealt with

          I will be a benefit to others

          Life will get better for me

          Problems that I cannot solve myself I can turn over to the
          enlightenment process
        • sean tremblay

            Message 5 of 23 , Mar 1, 2008
              So long one searches 45 minutes a day he/she can never progress. It
              is 24 hours affair. For that, I have made myself a DWCL(Daily Wager
              Continuous Labourer). Continuous means shayane/in sleep,swapane/in
              dream, jagarane/in waking state and in diversone/in diverson.

              If one needs wage how can he/she neglect the labour?

              <westwindwood2003@...> wrote:

              > Here are all the problems I can think of at the moment in taking
              up
              > meditation. I list these, not because I wish to discourage
              > meditation, but to allow to can plan ahead. If one works out the
              > problems and issues ahead of time, success is more likely.
              >

              > One knows what they are doing with their life, why look at
              something
              > that requires disturbing the status quo. I don't need anything
              else
              > as my own clever mind to guide me in my life's decisions.
              >
              > Could meditation somehow hurt me in a psychological way?
              >
              > I will need approximately 45 minutes out of a busy day to meditate.
              >
              > Can I find a place to meditate with kids making noise and getting
              > into mischief; do I have a spouse or someone to watch the kids?
              >
              > What will my acquaintances and relatives think I am up to, trying
              > get out of chores?
              >
              > Feelings will surface in meditation I will have to do something
              about
              > to resolve them or the same feeling will come back again and again
              > with no resolution possible.
              >
              > I will have to find a teacher I trust, and how will I know if they
              > are trustworthy and wise. A lot of people are trying to make money
              on
              > meditators, for example just look at the Internet
              >
              > When enlightenment happens, I will suffer giving up my karma
              driven
              > ego attachments and will be find it is all I can do to get through
              > the change.
              >
              > Enlightenment will give me guidance on how to conduct my life. I
              > will be directed to change my behavior, and that will eventually
              > change my personality and I like my personality the way it is.
              >
              > It probably will take lifetimes to work out all my karma so lets
              just
              > enjoy life now and worry about working things out some other
              lifetime.

              > Off the top of my head, here are some positive things I can think
              of
              > about meditation. Maybe you can think of some more benefits.
              >
              > I will be a lot calmer about what is happening in my life. People
              > will find me a lot easier to be with.
              >
              > Problems in my subconscious that rule my actions will be revealed.
              >
              > Dreams will not bother me
              >
              > Anything in life can be dealt with
              >
              > I will be a benefit to others
              >
              > Life will get better for me
              >
              > Problems that I cannot solve myself I can turn over to the
              > enlightenment process

            • Jeff Belyea
              Message 6 of 23 , Mar 3, 2008
                Sean -

                While I am not an advocate
                of devotion to any one teacher,
                I do feel that a teacher who
                "appears" on your path with
                teachings that resonate as
                attractive and compelling
                can be valuable.

                A teacher who can speak authentically
                about their own experiences (which
                is the only premise for authenticity
                and the only platform for teaching)
                can inspire the student to believe in,
                expect, and move forward toward
                their greater potential and/or their
                desire for accomplishment - from
                anything from quitting smoking to
                finding peace of mind.

                Meditation, as you wrote, is
                easy and natural, but the mindset
                approaching meditation, and the
                nuances of "techniques" can
                make the difference between
                a quiet time of relaxation and
                the opening of a new door
                of perception.

                Best,

                Jeff

                <bethjams9@...> wrote:

                > I believe anybody that lives in the world faces these problems and
                we all have the answers to them. As for finding a teacher I
                personally would not follow any one teacher, I think teachers are all
                around you. Meditating like running, you don't need a coach or
                personal trainer to accomplish your goals. And I am speaking as
                someone who often gets caught up in the rigmarole of daily life and
                falls short of my potential.

                > westwindwood2003 <westwindwood2003@...> wrote: Here are
                all the problems I can think of at the moment in taking up
                > meditation. I list these, not because I wish to discourage
                > meditation, but to allow to can plan ahead. If one works out the
                > problems and issues ahead of time, success is more likely.
                >
                > One knows what they are doing with their life, why look at
                something
                > that requires disturbing the status quo. I don't need anything else
                > as my own clever mind to guide me in my life's decisions.
                >
                > Could meditation somehow hurt me in a psychological way?
                >
                > I will need approximately 45 minutes out of a busy day to meditate.
                >
                > Can I find a place to meditate with kids making noise and getting
                > into mischief; do I have a spouse or someone to watch the kids?
                >
                > What will my acquaintances and relatives think I am up to, trying
                > get out of chores?
                >
                > Feelings will surface in meditation I will have to do something
                about
                > to resolve them or the same feeling will come back again and again
                > with no resolution possible.
                >
                > I will have to find a teacher I trust, and how will I know if they
                > are trustworthy and wise. A lot of people are trying to make money
                on
                > meditators, for example just look at the Internet
                >
                > When enlightenment happens, I will suffer giving up my karma driven
                > ego attachments and will be find it is all I can do to get through
                > the change.
                >
                > Enlightenment will give me guidance on how to conduct my life. I
                > will be directed to change my behavior, and that will eventually
                > change my personality and I like my personality the way it is.
                >
                > It probably will take lifetimes to work out all my karma so lets
                just
                > enjoy life now and worry about working things out some other
                lifetime.

                > Off the top of my head, here are some positive things I can think
                of
                > about meditation. Maybe you can think of some more benefits.
                >
                > I will be a lot calmer about what is happening in my life. People
                > will find me a lot easier to be with.
                >
                > Problems in my subconscious that rule my actions will be revealed.
                >
                > Dreams will not bother me
                >
                > Anything in life can be dealt with
                >
                > I will be a benefit to others
                >
                > Life will get better for me
                >
                > Problems that I cannot solve myself I can turn over to the
                > enlightenment process
                >

                > ---------------------------------
                Try it now.

              • Jeff Belyea
                Message 7 of 23 , Mar 3, 2008
                  To highlight one of the problems
                  or resistances to truly entering
                  meditation, it is important to
                  recognize that a language barrier
                  also exists.

                  When "problems" are listed as
                  preparation for meditation, the
                  words do not resonate at the
                  same depth for a beginning, or
                  even experienced meditator, as
                  they do for those who have
                  been graced with crossing the
                  threshold of enlightenment.

                  For example, the mention of
                  sufering when encountering
                  the giving up of ego attachments
                  - this feels like certain "death"
                  when reached in full technocolor.

                  Only the truly committed or
                  truly desperate - those who
                  are wiling to risk death -
                  will take on this one. It is
                  the turning back point for many
                  dabblers in meditation.

                  In essence, there is no possible
                  preparation for what is experienced
                  in depth meditation. It is beyond
                  words or description. It cannot
                  really be "sought" in any real
                  sense. If peace of mind is sought,
                  the manner in which it presents
                  is startling, and in no way
                  resembles any preconceived notion.
                  The linear mind cannot anticipate
                  or grasp the experience - yet, it
                  delights in the result.

                  <westwindwood2003@...> wrote:

                  > Here are all the problems I can think of at the moment in taking up
                  > meditation. I list these, not because I wish to discourage
                  > meditation, but to allow to can plan ahead. If one works out the
                  > problems and issues ahead of time, success is more likely.
                  >

                  > One knows what they are doing with their life, why look at
                  something
                  > that requires disturbing the status quo. I don't need anything else
                  > as my own clever mind to guide me in my life's decisions.
                  >
                  > Could meditation somehow hurt me in a psychological way?
                  >
                  > I will need approximately 45 minutes out of a busy day to meditate.
                  >
                  > Can I find a place to meditate with kids making noise and getting
                  > into mischief; do I have a spouse or someone to watch the kids?
                  >
                  > What will my acquaintances and relatives think I am up to, trying
                  > get out of chores?
                  >
                  > Feelings will surface in meditation I will have to do something
                  about
                  > to resolve them or the same feeling will come back again and again
                  > with no resolution possible.
                  >
                  > I will have to find a teacher I trust, and how will I know if they
                  > are trustworthy and wise. A lot of people are trying to make money
                  on
                  > meditators, for example just look at the Internet
                  >
                  > When enlightenment happens, I will suffer giving up my karma driven
                  > ego attachments and will be find it is all I can do to get through
                  > the change.
                  >
                  > Enlightenment will give me guidance on how to conduct my life. I
                  > will be directed to change my behavior, and that will eventually
                  > change my personality and I like my personality the way it is.
                  >
                  > It probably will take lifetimes to work out all my karma so lets
                  just
                  > enjoy life now and worry about working things out some other
                  lifetime.

                  > Off the top of my head, here are some positive things I can think
                  of
                  > about meditation. Maybe you can think of some more benefits.
                  >
                  > I will be a lot calmer about what is happening in my life. People
                  > will find me a lot easier to be with.
                  >
                  > Problems in my subconscious that rule my actions will be revealed.
                  >
                  > Dreams will not bother me
                  >
                  > Anything in life can be dealt with
                  >
                  > I will be a benefit to others
                  >
                  > Life will get better for me
                  >
                  > Problems that I cannot solve myself I can turn over to the
                  > enlightenment process

                • sean tremblay
                  Message 8 of 23 , Mar 5, 2008
                    Agreed,
                    Like in my fairly recent Ashtanga experiments, it's good to have a teacher to point out the small stuff like a quarter inch here or there.  But it still boils down to doing it. We can find our peace in many ways.  I have found it in Diving, submerged in an alien world leave all the hate and dicontent on the surface all you have is the rythme of your breathing echoing in the hat, the near wieghtlessness and your your project at hand.  I have found teachers who for a short time have left something of an impression, but I maintain that my greatest teachers have been the trailor park sages, vagabond poets, street ascetics and cowboy philosophers.

                    <bethjams9@. ..> wrote:

                    > I believe anybody that lives in the world faces these problems and
                    we all have the answers to them. As for finding a teacher I
                    personally would not follow any one teacher, I think teachers are all
                    around you. Meditating like running, you don't need a coach or
                    personal trainer to accomplish your goals. And I am speaking as
                    someone who often gets caught up in the rigmarole of daily life and
                    falls short of my potential.

                    > westwindwood2003 <westwindwood2003@ ...> wrote: Here are
                    all the problems I can think of at the moment in taking up
                    > meditation. I list these, not because I wish to discourage
                    > meditation, but to allow to can plan ahead. If one works out the
                    > problems and issues ahead of time, success is more likely.
                    >
                    > One knows what they are doing with their life, why look at
                    something
                    > that requires disturbing the status quo. I don't need anything else
                    > as my own clever mind to guide me in my life's decisions.
                    >
                    > Could meditation somehow hurt me in a psychological way?
                    >
                    > I will need approximately 45 minutes out of a busy day to meditate.
                    >
                    > Can I find a place to meditate with kids making noise and getting
                    > into mischief; do I have a spouse or someone to watch the kids?
                    >
                    > What will my acquaintances and relatives think I am up to, trying
                    > get out of chores?
                    >
                    > Feelings will surface in meditation I will have to do something
                    about
                    > to resolve them or the same feeling will come back again and again
                    > with no resolution possible.
                    >
                    > I will have to find a teacher I trust, and how will I know if they
                    > are trustworthy and wise. A lot of people are trying to make money
                    on
                    > meditators, for example just look at the Internet
                    >
                    > When enlightenment happens, I will suffer giving up my karma driven
                    > ego attachments and will be find it is all I can do to get through
                    > the change.
                    >
                    > Enlightenment will give me guidance on how to conduct my life. I
                    > will be directed to change my behavior, and that will eventually
                    > change my personality and I like my personality the way it is.
                    >
                    > It probably will take lifetimes to work out all my karma so lets
                    just
                    > enjoy life now and worry about working things out some other
                    lifetime.

                    > Off the top of my head, here are some positive things I can think
                    of
                    > about meditation. Maybe you can think of some more benefits.
                    >
                    > I will be a lot calmer about what is happening in my life. People
                    > will find me a lot easier to be with.
                    >
                    > Problems in my subconscious that rule my actions will be revealed.
                    >
                    > Dreams will not bother me
                    >
                    > Anything in life can be dealt with
                    >
                    > I will be a benefit to others
                    >
                    > Life will get better for me
                    >
                    > Problems that I cannot solve myself I can turn over to the
                    > enlightenment process
                    >

                    > ------------ --------- --------- ---
                    Try it now.

                  • Jeff Belyea
                    Message 9 of 23 , Mar 5, 2008
                      Great. You know where to
                      draw the line.
                      Nice roster of teachers.
                      Obviously, you also know
                      where to look for authenticity.

                      <bethjams9@...> wrote:

> [...]
                      > > will be directed to change my behavior, and that will eventually
                      > > change my personality and I like my personality the way it is.
                      > >
                      > > It probably will take lifetimes to work out all my karma so lets
                      > just
                      > > enjoy life now and worry about working things out some other
                      > lifetime.
                      > >
                      > > Off the top of my head, here are some positive things I can think
                      > of
                      > > about meditation. Maybe you can think of some more benefits.
                      > >
                      > > I will be a lot calmer about what is happening in my life. People
                      > > will find me a lot easier to be with.
                      > >
                      > > Problems in my subconscious that rule my actions will be revealed.
                      > >
                      > > Dreams will not bother me
                      > >
                      > > Anything in life can be dealt with
                      > >
                      > > I will be a benefit to others
                      > >
                      > > Life will get better for me
                      > >
                      > > Problems that I cannot solve myself I can turn over to the

                      Search.