[Meditation Society of America] Re: Scientists Explore Consciousness

  • jogeshwarmahanta
    Message 1 of 35 , Feb 21, 2008
      " When we become conscious of a higher reality, our life changes.
      Every moment is pristine and glorious, pure and fresh. To live in
      the higher mind is to be like a flowing creek, ever new, ever fresh,
      on the move."

      Golden words.
      regards

      --- In meditationsocietyofamerica@yahoogroups.com, Balasubramanian
      Radhakrishnan Kumar <kumarbr20@...> wrote:

      > It is all only in one's ego, which is but the work of the mind,
      which itself doesnot have any locus standi ! Therefore judging
      things from an egotistical point of view is always a mistake. When
      we look through our higher mind, our perception changes. When we
      become conscious of a higher reality, our life changes. Every moment
      is pristine and glorious, pure and fresh. To live in the higher mind
      is to be like a flowing creek, ever new, ever fresh, on the move.

      > To: meditationsocietyofamerica@...: bethjams9@...: Thu, 21 Feb
      2008 02:18:58 -0800Subject: Re: [Meditation Society of America] Re:
      Scientists Explore Consciousness

      > In regards to all being equal, could you please give me some
      clarity on the subject of Caste and Karma, thats a hard concept for
      me to understand.J <thebluze@...> wrote:

      > --- In
      meditationsocietyofamerica@yahoogroups.com, "jogeshwarmahanta"<jogesh
      warmahanta@> wrote:>> Thank you.> regards> > > --- In
      meditationsocietyofamerica@yahoogroups.com, Balasubramanian >
      Radhakrishnan Kumar <kumarbr20@> wrote:> >> > > > Let us not
      denigrate anyone in this world. All are equal and one > need not
      decry the other on any ground. Bhagavan Ramana Maharishi > has said
      that we must give respect and adore even a tiny speck of > dirt, but
      at the same time, we must not heed to what is called this > world. >
      20 > Feb 2008 11:30:27 +0000Subject: [Meditation Society of America]
      Re: > Scientists Explore Consciousness> > > > > > > > > > Yes. That
      is moksha.Back to consciousness. It is the instrument by > which one
      can tone up his/her ejectability and clean up impurities > and
      maintain body regularities. If he/she does not do then he/she > will
      fall ill. So he/she is responsible for his/her illness. This is >
      vidya and scientists are suffering from >
      avidya.avidyasmitaragadweshaabhiniveshah kleshah.So the scientists >
      are laggards.regards--- In >
      meditationsocietyofamerica@yahoogroups.com, Balasubramanian >
      Radhakrishnan Kumar <kumarbr20@> wrote:>> > Ofcourse one pulls on >
      with such an impurity of one type or another. According to Bhagavan
      > Sri Ramana Maharishi, this body itself is an unwanted impurity, >
      which one must get rid of ! > > > To: meditationsocietyofamerica@: >
      jogeshwarmahanta@: Wed, 20 Feb 2008 11:08:16 +0000Subject: >
      [Meditation Society of America] Re: Scientists Explore >
      Consciousness> > > > > But according to Ayurveda one can be vata >
      type or pitta type or kapha type. No escape.regards--- In >
      meditationsocietyofamerica@yahoogroups.com, Balasubramanian >
      Radhakrishnan Kumar <kumarbr20@> wrote:>> > Dosha itself means that
      > it is unwanted and steps must be taken to mitigate it ! One cannot
      > afford to carry on with the Dosha on one's shoulders or back !
      Dosha > must be driven out on war footing ! Dosha would mean a drain
      on the > existing energy> > > To: meditationsocietyofamerica@: >
      jogeshwarmahanta@: Wed, 20 Feb 2008 10:48:03 +0000Subject: >
      [Meditation Society of America] Re: Scientists Explore >
      Consciousness> > > > > But vata,pitta and kapha doshas are >
      normal.regards--- In meditationsocietyofamerica@yahoogroups.com, >
      Balasubramanian Radhakrishnan Kumar <kumarbr20@> wrote:>> > Yes. >
      Physical conditions caused by impurities, leading to malfunctioning
      > of the biological system> > > To: meditationsocietyofamerica@: >
      jogeshwarmahanta@: Wed, 20 Feb 2008 07:26:17 +0000Subject: >
      [Meditation Society of America] Re: Scientists Explore >
      Consciousness> > > > > Thank you. LOL. Are vata,pitta and kapha >
      doshas also impurities?regards--- In >
      meditationsocietyofamerica@yahoogroups.com, Balasubramanian >
      Radhakrishnan Kumar <kumarbr20@> wrote:>> > Dosha is an impurity ! >
      Dosa is the eatable !!> > > To: meditationsocietyofamerica@: >
      jogeshwarmahanta@: Wed, 20 Feb 2008 06:37:49 +0000Subject: >
      [Meditation Society of America] Re: Scientists Explore >
      Consciousness> > > > > Let us enjoy the dosha first. Then we shall >
      search its maker.Are not the scientists laggards? I averaged the >
      life span of 118 dead nobel laureates in physiology and medicine. It
      Radhakrishnan Kumar <kumarbr20@> wrote:>> > Newton had said that the
      > planets are in motion. That he knows. But who set them in motion ?
      > That none could know ! Similarly probes could take place on >
      consciousness. But one should probe the creator of consciousness. >
      > > > To: meditationsocietyofamerica@: jogeshwarmahanta@: Wed, 20
      Feb > 2008 06:11:23 +0000Subject: [Meditation Society of America]
      Re: > Scientists Explore Consciousness> > > > > We are responsible
      for our > illnesses.So also we are responsible for our >
      wellnesses.Consciousness is the panacea.regards--- In >
      meditationsocietyofamerica@yahoogroups.com, medit8ionsociety >
      <no_reply@> wrote:>> Scientists Explore Consciousness> > New results
      > published in the Proceedings > of the National Academy of
      Sciences. > > An international team of scientists > led by a
      University of > Leicester researcher > has carried out a scientific
      study into the > > realm of consciousness.> > The scientists have
      made a significant > > step into the understanding of conscious >
      perception, by showing > how single neurons in the human > brain
      reacted to perceived and > nonperceived images.> > University of
      Leicester bioengineer Dr > Rodrigo > Quian Quiroga is spearheading
      this study > which is > opening new possibilities of exploring > a
      hitherto relatively > unchartered scientific area.> > The team have
      today (MONDAY FEB 18) > published > a paper in an international
      journal, the > Proceedings > of the National Academy of Sciences >
      (PNAS) revealing new > discoveries in the field > of consciousness
      studies.> > Dr Quian > Quiroga said: "There has been much > interest
      in recent years in > consciousness, > which is considered by many as
      one of the major > > scientific challenges to be solved, or at least
      > addressed in a > scientific -rather than > ust philosophical-
      way.> > "In fact, there > are a few centres, journals > and
      conferences dedicated to this > topic. The problem > with
      consciousness is that it is very hard to > be > defined and it
      implicates too many different things. > For this > reason, several
      researchers started > to specify more clearly what > they mean by>
      consciousness (even if this is a limited view of > the > whole
      issue) and think about ways to study > it in a scientific way. >
      This approach was championed> by the late Francis Crick and my >
      former supervisor > at Caltech, Christof Koch.> > "Following this >
      line, the paper in PNAS asks > how the activity of single neurons in
      > the human > brain can reflect conscious perception.> > "Recordings
      > were done in epileptic patients > candidates of curative surgery
      in > which > intracranial electrodes are implanted to > establish
      the > location of the epileptic > focus and evaluate the potential
      outcome > > of the surgery. Patients usually stay for > 1 or 2 weeks
      in the > guard and this gives us the > extraordinary opportunity to
      perform > experiments > and study how neurons in the human brain >
      respond to > different perceptual and behavioural tasks.> > "In this
      particular > study we showed pictures > in a computer screen very
      briefly, > at > the threshold of conscious recognition. > Subjects
      had to report > whether they > recognized or not the particular
      picture showed > in > each trial. The key point is > that, since the
      pictures are shown > very briefly, > for exactly the same visual
      input sometimes the > > subjects reported recognizing the picture
      and sometimes > not > recognizing it. Then we could ask > whether
      the neurons fire > according to > the subjects' conscious perception
      or the > actual > visual inputs.> > "We found that the neurons we
      recorded > responded > to the conscious perception in an > "all-or-
      none" way by > dramatically changing their firing > rate only when
      the pictures > were recognized.> > "For example, a neuron in the
      hippocampus > of > one patient fired very strongly to a picture > of
      the patient's > brother when recognized and remained > completely
      silent when it was > not, another > neuron behaved in the same
      manner with pictures > of > the World Trade Centre, etc.>
      > "Interestingly, based on the firing > of these > neurons it was
      possible to > predict far above chance > whether a picture > was
      recognized or not. Another > interesting > observation is that a
      picture > flashed very briefly generated > nearly> the same
      response -if recognized- as when > shown for much > longer periods >
      of time. This means that a single snapshot > as > brief as 33 ms was
      sufficient > to trigger strong neuronal responses > far > outlasting
      the stimulus presentation, > signaling the > conscious perception of
      the > picture shown."> > Dr Quian Quiroga > said the study had
      important > implications. Potential applications > of > this
      discovery include the development of Neural Prosthetic > > devices
      to be used by paralysed patients > or amputees. A patient > with a >
      lesion in the spinal cord (as with the > late Christopher > Reeves),
      can still think > about reaching a cup of tea with his arm, > > but
      this order is not transmitted to > the muscles.> > The idea of >
      Neural Prostheses is to read > these commands directly from the > >
      brain and transmit them to bionic devices > such as a robotic arm >
      that the > patient could control directly from > the brain.> > Dr >
      Quian Quiroga's work showing that it > is possible to read signals >
      from the > brain is a good step forward in this > direction. But >
      there are still clinical and > ethical issues that have to be >
      resolved > before Neural Prosthetic devices can > be applied in >
      humans.> > In particular, these would involve invasive > surgery, >
      which would have to be justified > by a clear improvement for the >
      patient > before it could be undertaken.> > Dr Quian Quiroga's >
      discovery has far-reaching > implications not only for the >
      development of > neuronal prostheses, but for treatment of patients
      > > with pathologies involving the hippocampal > formation, such as
      > epilepsy, Alzheimers and > schizophrenia and for further >
      understanding of how > perceptions and memories are represented in >
      the brain.> > LEICESTER UNIVERSITY> University Road> Leicester> LE1
      __________________________________________________________> Post >
      free property ads on Yello Classifieds now! www.yello.in> >
      http://ss1.richmedia.in/recurl.asp?pid=219> > > > > > > > >
      http://ss1.richmedia.in/recurl.asp?pid=221> > > > > > > > >
      __________________________________________________________> Post ads
      http://ss1.richmedia.in/recurl.asp?pid=186> > > > > > > > >
      __________________________________________________________> Post ads
      > for free - to sell, rent or even buy.www.yello.in> >
      http://ss1.richmedia.in/recurl.asp?pid=186> > > > > > > > > > > > >
      > > __________________________________________________________> >
      Post ads for free - to sell, rent or even buy.www.yello.in> >
      http://ss1.richmedia.in/recurl.asp?pid=186> >>this is an interesting
      thread.I have done yoga, of and on, mostly off, for over 30 years.I
      suffered a severe back injury 10 years ago. I ruptured 3 discs inmy
      back simultaneously. My spine was severely bent at about a 25degree
      angle at the thoracic junction. I was in constant pain for
      manyyears. The doctors told me they could put a "broomstick" up my
      backor I could deal with the pain and "let nature take it's course".
      Theyalso told me my spine would heal "fused" and I would "never" get
      the25 degree scolosis "curve" out of my back that it would be
      forever bepart of my "posture".Now 10 years later, there is no
      abnormal lateral curve in my spine. Ican touch the floor in front of
      me with the bottom knuckles of thebacks of my hands and even flatten
      them for temporary stretching. I donot do full yoga workouts, but I
      stretch my back and relieve thedeformed areas of my spine. I have a
      good doctor who encourages mymental and physical disciplines I
      utilize to deal with disabilitiesand former injuries. I also use
      an "inversion table" which allows meto stretch "upside down" at
      various angles. The curve left mythoracic nd lumbar spine without
      this equipment though. It was donethrough breathing and stretching,
      up to three hours a day, andmeditating twice a day up to two hours a
      day.I believe all we need to heal chronic health conditions is in
      ourminds and our bodies, though strong nutrition and a healthy diet
      withlocally grown organic produce, herbs, and greens, important as
      well.I believe 90 percent of your health is in your mind, and
      strongpositive healing energy is sustainable by the thoughts you
      think andhow you breathe every breath you take. I also believe the
      purer thewater one drinks. the better one's health will be. I also
      believemeditating in outdoor wooded settings is beneficial as
      well.just some thoughts and practices, that have been helpful for
      myself.namasteJ

      Search.

      > Tried the new MSN Messenger? It's cool! Download now.
      > http://messenger.msn.com/Download/Default.aspx?mkt=en-in

    • jogeshwarmahanta
      Message 35 of 35 , Mar 2, 2008
        Dear J,Since when I read this condition of yours somehow you
        occupied my mind. In your latest post when you asked for simulated
        dreams/translogical exercises, I thought that these are no good for
        you as I initiate these exercises just for freshers into the field.
        Then what do I give to you?

        Please go to "google alert".Fill in "human neuroplasticity". You
        will get every information on human neuroplasticity in your E-mail
        ID. Some are trash. Some are just commercial. But you will get great
        ideas befitting to you too. I will be happy to hear about the great
        ideas you get.
        Good luck.
        regards