RE: [Meditation Society of America] Re: Scientists Explore Consciousness

  • Balasubramanian Radhakrishnan Kumar
    Message 1 of 35 , Feb 21, 2008
      It is all only in one's ego, which is but the work of the mind, which itself doesnot have any locus standi ! Therefore judging things from an egotistical point of view is always a mistake. When we look through our higher mind, our perception changes. When we become conscious of a higher reality, our life changes. Every moment is pristine and glorious, pure and fresh. To live in the higher mind is to be like a flowing creek, ever new, ever fresh, on the move.

      To: meditationsocietyofamerica@yahoogroups.com
      From: bethjams9@...
      Date: Thu, 21 Feb 2008 02:18:58 -0800
      Subject: Re: [Meditation Society of America] Re: Scientists Explore Consciousness

      In regards to all being equal,  could you please give me some clarity on the subject of Caste and Karma, thats a hard concept for me to understand.

      J <thebluze@yahoo. com> wrote:
      --- In meditationsocietyof america@yahoogro ups.com, "jogeshwarmahanta"
      <jogeshwarmahanta@ ...> wrote:

> [...]
      > whether they > recognized or not the particular picture showed > in
      > each trial. The key point is > that, since the pictures are shown
      > very briefly, > for exactly the same visual input sometimes the >
      > subjects reported recognizing the picture and sometimes > not
      > recognizing it. Then we could ask > whether the neurons fire
      > according to > the subjects' conscious perception or the > actual
      > visual inputs.> > "We found that the neurons we recorded > responded
      > to the conscious perception in an > "all-or-none" way by
      > dramatically changing their firing > rate only when the pictures
      > were recognized.> > "For example, a neuron in the hippocampus > of
      > one patient fired very strongly to a picture > of the patient's
      > brother when recognized and remained > completely silent when it was
      > not, another > neuron behaved in the same manner with pictures > of
      > the World Trade Centre, etc.> > "Interestingly, based on the firing
      > of these > neurons it was possible to > predict far above chance
      > whether a picture > was recognized or not. Another > interesting
      > observation is that a picture > flashed very briefly generated
      > nearly> the same response -if recognized- as when > shown for much
      > longer periods > of time. This means that a single snapshot > as
      > brief as 33 ms was sufficient > to trigger strong neuronal responses
      > far > outlasting the stimulus presentation, > signaling the
      > conscious perception of the > picture shown."> > Dr Quian Quiroga
      > said the study had important > implications. Potential applications
      > of > this discovery include the development of Neural Prosthetic >
      > devices to be used by paralysed patients > or amputees. A patient
      > with a > lesion in the spinal cord (as with the > late Christopher
      > Reeves), can still think > about reaching a cup of tea with his arm,
      > > but this order is not transmitted to > the muscles.> > The idea of
      > Neural Prostheses is to read > these commands directly from the >
      > brain and transmit them to bionic devices > such as a robotic arm
      > that the > patient could control directly from > the brain.> > Dr
      > Quian Quiroga's work showing that it > is possible to read signals
      > from the > brain is a good step forward in this > direction. But
      > there are still clinical and > ethical issues that have to be
      > resolved > before Neural Prosthetic devices can > be applied in
      > humans.> > In particular, these would involve invasive > surgery,
      > which would have to be justified > by a clear improvement for the
      > patient > before it could be undertaken.> > Dr Quian Quiroga's
      > discovery has far-reaching > implications not only for the
      > development of > neuronal prostheses, but for treatment of patients
      > > with pathologies involving the hippocampal > formation, such as
      > epilepsy, Alzheimers and > schizophrenia and for further
      > understanding of how > perceptions and memories are represented in
      > the brain.> > LEICESTER UNIVERSITY> University Road> Leicester> LE1

      this is an interesting thread.

      I have done yoga, of and on, mostly off, for over 30 years.

      I suffered a severe back injury 10 years ago. I ruptured 3 discs in
      my back simultaneously. My spine was severely bent at about a 25
      degree angle at the thoracic junction. I was in constant pain for many
      years. The doctors told me they could put a "broomstick" up my back
      or I could deal with the pain and "let nature take it's course". They
      also told me my spine would heal "fused" and I would "never" get the
      25 degree scolosis "curve" out of my back that it would be forever be
      part of my "posture".

      Now 10 years later, there is no abnormal lateral curve in my spine. I
      can touch the floor in front of me with the bottom knuckles of the
      backs of my hands and even flatten them for temporary stretching. I do
      not do full yoga workouts, but I stretch my back and relieve the
      deformed areas of my spine. I have a good doctor who encourages my
      mental and physical disciplines I utilize to deal with disabilities
      and former injuries. I also use an "inversion table" which allows me
      to stretch "upside down" at various angles. The curve left my
      thoracic nd lumbar spine without this equipment though. It was done
      through breathing and stretching, up to three hours a day, and
      meditating twice a day up to two hours a day.

      I believe all we need to heal chronic health conditions is in our
      minds and our bodies, though strong nutrition and a healthy diet with
      locally grown organic produce, herbs, and greens, important as well.

      I believe 90 percent of your health is in your mind, and strong
      positive healing energy is sustainable by the thoughts you think and
      how you breathe every breath you take. I also believe the purer the
      water one drinks. the better one's health will be. I also believe
      meditating in outdoor wooded settings is beneficial as well.

      just some thoughts and practices, that have been helpful for myself.

      namaste

      Live the life in style with MSN Lifestyle. Check out! Try it now!
    • jogeshwarmahanta
      Message 35 of 35 , Mar 2, 2008
        Dear J,Since when I read this condition of yours somehow you
        occupied my mind. In your latest post when you asked for simulated
        dreams/translogical exercises, I thought that these are no good for
        you as I initiate these exercises just for freshers into the field.
        Then what do I give to you?

        Please go to "google alert".Fill in "human neuroplasticity". You
        will get every information on human neuroplasticity in your E-mail
        ID. Some are trash. Some are just commercial. But you will get great
        ideas befitting to you too. I will be happy to hear about the great
        ideas you get.
        Good luck.
        regards