[Meditation Society of America] Re: Scientists Explore Consciousness

  • jogeshwarmahanta
    Message 1 of 35 , Feb 19, 2008
      Thank you. LOL. Are vata,pitta and kapha doshas also impurities?
      regards

      --- In meditationsocietyofamerica@yahoogroups.com, Balasubramanian
      Radhakrishnan Kumar <kumarbr20@...> wrote:

      > Dosha is an impurity ! Dosa is the eatable !!
      >

      > To: meditationsocietyofamerica@...: jogeshwarmahanta@...: Wed, 20
      Feb 2008 06:37:49 +0000Subject: [Meditation Society of America] Re:
      Scientists Explore Consciousness

      > Let us enjoy the dosha first. Then we shall search its maker.Are
      not the scientists laggards? I averaged the life span of 118 dead
      nobel laureates in physiology and medicine. It is 79.27
      years.regards--- In meditationsocietyofamerica@yahoogroups.com,
      Balasubramanian Radhakrishnan Kumar <kumarbr20@> wrote:>> > Newton
      had said that the planets are in motion. That he knows. But who set
      them in motion ? That none could know ! Similarly probes could take
      place on consciousness. But one should probe the creator of
      consciousness. > > > To: meditationsocietyofamerica@:
      jogeshwarmahanta@: Wed, 20 Feb 2008 06:11:23 +0000Subject:
      [Meditation Society of America] Re: Scientists Explore
      Consciousness> > > > > We are responsible for our illnesses.So also
      we are responsible for our wellnesses.Consciousness is the
      panacea.regards--- In meditationsocietyofamerica@yahoogroups.com,
      medit8ionsociety <no_reply@> wrote:>> Scientists Explore
      Consciousness> > New results published in the Proceedings > of the
      National Academy of Sciences. > An international team of scientists
      > led by a University of Leicester researcher > has carried out a
      scientific study into the > realm of consciousness.> > The
      scientists have made a significant > step into the understanding of
      conscious > perception, by showing how single neurons in the human >
      brain reacted to perceived and nonperceived images.> > University of
      Leicester bioengineer Dr Rodrigo > Quian Quiroga is spearheading
      this study > which is opening new possibilities of exploring > a
      hitherto relatively unchartered scientific area.> > The team have
      today (MONDAY FEB 18) published > a paper in an international
      journal, the > Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences >
      (PNAS) revealing new discoveries in the field > of consciousness
      studies.> > Dr Quian Quiroga said: "There has been much > interest
      in recent years in consciousness, > which is considered by many as
      one of the major > scientific challenges to be solved, or at least >
      addressed in a scientific -rather than > ust philosophical- way.>
      > "In fact, there are a few centres, journals > and conferences
      dedicated to this topic. The problem > with consciousness is that it
      is very hard to be > defined and it implicates too many different
      things. > For this reason, several researchers started > to specify
      more clearly what they mean by> consciousness (even if this is a
      limited view of > the whole issue) and think about ways to study >
      it in a scientific way. This approach was championed> by the late
      Francis Crick and my former supervisor > at Caltech, Christof Koch.>
      > "Following this line, the paper in PNAS asks > how the activity of
      single neurons in the human > brain can reflect conscious
      perception.> > "Recordings were done in epileptic patients >
      candidates of curative surgery in which > intracranial electrodes
      are implanted to > establish the location of the epileptic > focus
      and evaluate the potential outcome > of the surgery. Patients
      usually stay for > 1 or 2 weeks in the guard and this gives us the >
      extraordinary opportunity to perform experiments > and study how
      neurons in the human brain > respond to different perceptual and
      behavioural tasks.> > "In this particular study we showed pictures >
      in a computer screen very briefly, > at the threshold of conscious
      recognition. > Subjects had to report whether they > recognized or
      not the particular picture showed > in each trial. The key point is
      > that, since the pictures are shown very briefly, > for exactly the
      same visual input sometimes the > subjects reported recognizing the
      picture and sometimes > not recognizing it. Then we could ask >
      whether the neurons fire according to > the subjects' conscious
      perception or the > actual visual inputs.> > "We found that the
      neurons we recorded > responded to the conscious perception in an
      > "all-or-none" way by dramatically changing their firing > rate
      only when the pictures were recognized.> > "For example, a neuron in
      the hippocampus > of one patient fired very strongly to a picture >
      of the patient's brother when recognized and remained > completely
      silent when it was not, another > neuron behaved in the same manner
      with pictures > of the World Trade Centre, etc.> > "Interestingly,
      based on the firing of these > neurons it was possible to > predict
      far above chance whether a picture > was recognized or not. Another
      > interesting observation is that a picture > flashed very briefly
      generated nearly> the same response -if recognized- as when > shown
      for much longer periods > of time. This means that a single snapshot
      > as brief as 33 ms was sufficient > to trigger strong neuronal
      the conscious perception of the > picture shown."> > Dr Quian
      Quiroga said the study had important > implications. Potential
      applications of > this discovery include the development of Neural
      Prosthetic > devices to be used by paralysed patients > or amputees.
      A patient with a > lesion in the spinal cord (as with the > late
      Christopher Reeves), can still think > about reaching a cup of tea
      with his arm, > but this order is not transmitted to > the muscles.>
      > The idea of Neural Prostheses is to read > these commands directly
      from the > brain and transmit them to bionic devices > such as a
      robotic arm that the > patient could control directly from > the
      brain.> > Dr Quian Quiroga's work showing that it > is possible to
      read signals from the > brain is a good step forward in this >
      direction. But there are still clinical and > ethical issues that
      have to be resolved > before Neural Prosthetic devices can > be
      applied in humans.> > In particular, these would involve invasive >
      surgery, which would have to be justified > by a clear improvement
      for the patient > before it could be undertaken.> > Dr Quian
      Quiroga's discovery has far-reaching > implications not only for the
      development of > neuronal prostheses, but for treatment of patients
      > with pathologies involving the hippocampal > formation, such as
      epilepsy, Alzheimers and > schizophrenia and for further
      understanding of how > perceptions and memories are represented in
      the brain.> > LEICESTER UNIVERSITY> University Road> Leicester> LE1
      7RH> http://www.le.ac.uk> > > > > > > >
      __________________________________________________________> Post
      free property ads on Yello Classifieds now! www.yello.in>
      http://ss1.richmedia.in/recurl.asp?pid=219>

      Message 35 of 35 , Mar 2, 2008
        Dear J,Since when I read this condition of yours somehow you
        occupied my mind. In your latest post when you asked for simulated
        dreams/translogical exercises, I thought that these are no good for
        you as I initiate these exercises just for freshers into the field.
        Then what do I give to you?

        Please go to "google alert".Fill in "human neuroplasticity". You
        will get every information on human neuroplasticity in your E-mail
        ID. Some are trash. Some are just commercial. But you will get great
        ideas befitting to you too. I will be happy to hear about the great
        ideas you get.
        Good luck.
        regards

        > "this is an interesting thread.
        >
        > I have done yoga, of and on, mostly off, for over 30 years.
        >
        > I suffered a severe back injury 10 years ago. I ruptured 3 discs
        in
        > my back simultaneously. My spine was severely bent at about a 25
        > degree angle at the thoracic junction. I was in constant pain for
        many
        > years. The doctors told me they could put a "broomstick" up my
        back
        > or I could deal with the pain and "let nature take it's course".
        They
        > also told me my spine would heal "fused" and I would "never" get
        the
        > 25 degree scolosis "curve" out of my back that it would be forever
        be
        > part of my "posture".
        >
        > Now 10 years later, there is no abnormal lateral curve in my
        spine. I
        > can touch the floor in front of me with the bottom knuckles of the
        > backs of my hands and even flatten them for temporary stretching.
        I do