RE: [Meditation Society of America] Re: Scientists Explore Consciousness

  • Balasubramanian Radhakrishnan Kumar
    Message 1 of 35 , Feb 19, 2008
      Dosha is an impurity ! Dosa is the eatable !!

      To: meditationsocietyofamerica@yahoogroups.com
      From: jogeshwarmahanta@...
      Date: Wed, 20 Feb 2008 06:37:49 +0000
      Subject: [Meditation Society of America] Re: Scientists Explore Consciousness

      Let us enjoy the dosha first. Then we shall search its maker.

      Are not the scientists laggards? I averaged the life span of 118
      dead nobel laureates in physiology and medicine. It is 79.27 years.
      regards

      --- In meditationsocietyof america@yahoogro ups.com, Balasubramanian
      Radhakrishnan Kumar <kumarbr20@. ..> wrote:

      > Newton had said that the planets are in motion. That he knows. But
      who set them in motion ? That none could know ! Similarly probes
      could take place on consciousness. But one should probe the creator
      of consciousness.

      > To: meditationsocietyof america@. ..: jogeshwarmahanta@ ...: Wed, 20
      Feb 2008 06:11:23 +0000Subject: [Meditation Society of America] Re:
      Scientists Explore Consciousness

      > We are responsible for our illnesses.So also we are responsible
      for our wellnesses.Consciou sness is the panacea.regards- -- In
      meditationsocietyof america@yahoogro ups.com, medit8ionsociety
      <no_reply@> wrote:>> Scientists Explore Consciousness> > New results
      published in the Proceedings > of the National Academy of Sciences.
      > An international team of scientists > led by a University of
      Leicester researcher > has carried out a scientific study into the >
      realm of consciousness. > > The scientists have made a significant >
      step into the understanding of conscious > perception, by showing
      how single neurons in the human > brain reacted to perceived and
      nonperceived images.> > University of Leicester bioengineer Dr
      Rodrigo > Quian Quiroga is spearheading this study > which is
      opening new possibilities of exploring > a hitherto relatively
      unchartered scientific area.> > The team have today (MONDAY FEB 18)
      published > a paper in an international journal, the > Proceedings
      of the National Academy of Sciences > (PNAS) revealing new
      discoveries in the field > of consciousness studies.> > Dr Quian
      Quiroga said: "There has been much > interest in recent years in
      consciousness, > which is considered by many as one of the major >
      scientific challenges to be solved, or at least > addressed in a
      scientific -rather than > ust philosophical- way.> > "In fact, there
      are a few centres, journals > and conferences dedicated to this
      topic. The problem > with consciousness is that it is very hard to
      be > defined and it implicates too many different things. > For this
      reason, several researchers started > to specify more clearly what
      they mean by> consciousness (even if this is a limited view of > the
      whole issue) and think about ways to study > it in a scientific way.
      This approach was championed> by the late Francis Crick and my
      former supervisor > at Caltech, Christof Koch.> > "Following this
      line, the paper in PNAS asks > how the activity of single neurons in
      the human > brain can reflect conscious perception.> > "Recordings
      were done in epileptic patients > candidates of curative surgery in
      which > intracranial electrodes are implanted to > establish the
      location of the epileptic > focus and evaluate the potential outcome
      > of the surgery. Patients usually stay for > 1 or 2 weeks in the
      guard and this gives us the > extraordinary opportunity to perform
      experiments > and study how neurons in the human brain > respond to
      different perceptual and behavioural tasks.> > "In this particular
      study we showed pictures > in a computer screen very briefly, > at
      the threshold of conscious recognition. > Subjects had to report
      whether they > recognized or not the particular picture showed > in
      each trial. The key point is > that, since the pictures are shown
      very briefly, > for exactly the same visual input sometimes the >
      subjects reported recognizing the picture and sometimes > not
      recognizing it. Then we could ask > whether the neurons fire
      according to > the subjects' conscious perception or the > actual
      visual inputs.> > "We found that the neurons we recorded > responded
      to the conscious perception in an > "all-or-none" way by
      dramatically changing their firing > rate only when the pictures
      were recognized.> > "For example, a neuron in the hippocampus > of
      one patient fired very strongly to a picture > of the patient's
      brother when recognized and remained > completely silent when it was
      not, another > neuron behaved in the same manner with pictures > of
      the World Trade Centre, etc.> > "Interestingly, based on the firing
      of these > neurons it was possible to > predict far above chance
      whether a picture > was recognized or not. Another > interesting
      observation is that a picture > flashed very briefly generated
      nearly> the same response -if recognized- as when > shown for much
      longer periods > of time. This means that a single snapshot > as
      brief as 33 ms was sufficient > to trigger strong neuronal responses
      far > outlasting the stimulus presentation, > signaling the
      conscious perception of the > picture shown."> > Dr Quian Quiroga
      said the study had important > implications. Potential applications
      of > this discovery include the development of Neural Prosthetic >
      devices to be used by paralysed patients > or amputees. A patient
      with a > lesion in the spinal cord (as with the > late Christopher
      Reeves), can still think > about reaching a cup of tea with his arm,
      > but this order is not transmitted to > the muscles.> > The idea of
      Neural Prostheses is to read > these commands directly from the >
      brain and transmit them to bionic devices > such as a robotic arm
      that the > patient could control directly from > the brain.> > Dr
      Quian Quiroga's work showing that it > is possible to read signals
      from the > brain is a good step forward in this > direction. But
      there are still clinical and > ethical issues that have to be
      resolved > before Neural Prosthetic devices can > be applied in
      humans.> > In particular, these would involve invasive > surgery,
      which would have to be justified > by a clear improvement for the
      patient > before it could be undertaken.> > Dr Quian Quiroga's
      discovery has far-reaching > implications not only for the
      development of > neuronal prostheses, but for treatment of patients
      > with pathologies involving the hippocampal > formation, such as
      epilepsy, Alzheimers and > schizophrenia and for further
      understanding of how > perceptions and memories are represented in
      the brain.> > LEICESTER UNIVERSITY> University Road> Leicester> LE1
      7RH> http://www.le. ac.uk>

      > Post free property ads on Yello Classifieds now! www.yello.in
      > http://ss1.richmedi a.in/recurl. asp?pid=219

      It's about getting married. Click here! Try it!
    • jogeshwarmahanta
      Message 35 of 35 , Mar 2, 2008
        Dear J,Since when I read this condition of yours somehow you
        occupied my mind. In your latest post when you asked for simulated
        dreams/translogical exercises, I thought that these are no good for
        you as I initiate these exercises just for freshers into the field.
        Then what do I give to you?

        Please go to "google alert".Fill in "human neuroplasticity". You
        will get every information on human neuroplasticity in your E-mail
        ID. Some are trash. Some are just commercial. But you will get great
        ideas befitting to you too. I will be happy to hear about the great
        ideas you get.
        Good luck.
        regards

        > "this is an interesting thread.
        >
        > I have done yoga, of and on, mostly off, for over 30 years.
        >
        > I suffered a severe back injury 10 years ago. I ruptured 3 discs
        in
        > my back simultaneously. My spine was severely bent at about a 25
        > degree angle at the thoracic junction. I was in constant pain for
        many
        > years. The doctors told me they could put a "broomstick" up my
        back
        > or I could deal with the pain and "let nature take it's course".
        They
        > also told me my spine would heal "fused" and I would "never" get
        the
        > 25 degree scolosis "curve" out of my back that it would be forever
        be
        > part of my "posture".
        >
        > Now 10 years later, there is no abnormal lateral curve in my
        spine. I
        > can touch the floor in front of me with the bottom knuckles of the
        > backs of my hands and even flatten them for temporary stretching.
        I do