Proof That We Are All Psychic? (long buit interesting post)

    Message 1 of 4 , Feb 18, 2008
      From Newsmonster.uk.co:

      Has the military found proof that we are all psychic?

      Dr Chris Roe places a pair of enormous fluffy
      earphones over the head of a blonde 20-year
      old woman. He carefully slices a ping-pong ball
      in half and places each piece over her eyes. He
      switches on a red light and leaves the room.

      After a few moments, the gentle hiss of white
      noise begins to fill the laboratory and the
      woman begins smiling sweetly to herself. Images
      of distant locations start to pass through her
      mind. She can sense a group of trees and a
      babbling brook full of boulders. Standing on a
      boulder is her friend Jack. He's waving at her
      and smiling manically. She begins to describe
      the location to Dr Roe.

      Half a mile away her friend Jack is, indeed,
      standing on a boulder in a stream. The woman
      can `see' Jack in her mind's eye even though
      all of conventional science – and common
      sense – says it is impossible. Is this a
      bizarre coincidence or proof that we all
      possess hidden psychic powers of the type
      popularized in such films as Minority Report?

      Startling as it may seem, the results of Dr
      Roe's experiments suggest that it is indeed
      possible to project your "mind's eye" to a
      distant location and observe what is going on -
      even if that place is hundreds of miles away.

      In fact, Dr Roe's results suggest that up to
      85 percent of people possess the psychic power
      of clairvoyance – or the ability to remote
      view in technical parlance. They provide the
      strongest evidence yet for such psychic powers
      and may help explain the skills shown by mediums
      and account for such phenomena as ESP and déjà
      vu. And it would appear that we can all sharpen
      our psychic skills with only a modicum of training.

      Such results follow on from the release of
      formerly top secret military papers revealing
      that the armies of several countries have used
      clairvoyants – or remote viewers - to gather
      intelligence.
      Next month Dr Roe plans to go even further and
      see whether it is possible to project your mind's
      eye to a distant location and observe what will
      happen at a predetermined time in the future.

      "Our results are significant," says Dr Roe, a
      parapsychologist working at the University of
      Northampton. "They suggest that remote viewing,
      or clairvoyance, is something that should be
      taken seriously.

      "Its main use in the past has been for gathering
      military intelligence so a lot of the more
      interesting work is classified. There are even
      anecdotal accounts of remote viewers being used
      to hunt Saddam Hussein."

      Whilst Dr Roe's work may appear controversial,
      he is starting to garner the support of eminent
      scientists.

      Professor Brian Josephson, a Nobel Prize winning
      physicist from Cambridge University, says:
      "The experiments have been designed to rule out
      luck and chance. I consider the evidence for
      remote viewing to be pretty clear-cut."

      The military is also taking a keen interest.
      The Ministry of Defense takes the phenomena
      seriously enough to have commissioned its own
      research. In fact, most of our knowledge on
      clairvoyance is based on recently declassified
      military research undertaken during the Cold War.

      During the 1960s and 70s, paranoia gripped the
      American military establishment. Strange rumors
      began circulating that the Russians had found a
      way of harnessing psychic powers and begun
      wielding them as weapons. Psychic skills such as
      telekinesis – the ability to move objects or
      control machines using nothing more than the
      power of the mind – were apparently being taught
      to soldiers in elite combat units. They were
      also using clairvoyants to gather intelligence
      from top secret American bases. If true, the
      American's fretted, it would mean that the
      Russians could discover their most important
      secrets, control the minds of their generals,
      and perhaps render their nuclear weapons obsolete.

      In the early 1970s, the US military began
      its own top-secret research to close the
      "psychic gap" with the Russians. The CIA
      later joined them and projects Sun Streak,
      Grill Flame, and Star Gate were spawned.
      These were designed to track down the most
      gifted psychics in the US military, unravel
      the mysteries of their powers, and then find
      ways of teaching these skills to ordinary
      soldiers and agents. The aim was to produce
      a new breed of `super-soldier' capable of
      controlling matter with their minds and gathering
      intelligence from afar.

      But some in the military wanted to go even
      further. Major General Albert N. Stubblebine
      III, commanding officer of the US Army
      Intelligence and Security Command, hoped to
      teach his soldiers to walk through walls.
      And if that wasn't enough, some in the US Navy
      wanted to send confidential orders to their
      nuclear submarines using telepathy and remote viewing.

      Researchers at Princeton, where Einstein
      was based, and Stanford, soon began investigating
      the paranormal. Stanford Research Institute began
      hosting the Star Gate project and made many
      startling discoveries which appeared to show
      that ordinary people possessed psychic powers.
      What's more, these powers could be enhanced
      using simple training techniques such as meditation.

      Scientists at Stanford quickly focused on the
      use of clairvoyance, known as remote viewing
      in technical parlance, as the most militarily
      useful psychic skill. Very soon, Stanford
      played host to more than a dozen psychic
      spies. Their skills were once demonstrated
      to President Jimmy Carter when they were used
      to search for a downed aircraft.

      The remote viewers used a deceptively simple
      method based on what is known as the Ganzfeld
      technique. They induced an altered state of
      consciousness by seating themselves in a sound
      proof room and wearing earphones playing white
      noise. Ping pong balls sliced in half were
      placed over their eyes to obscure vision. The
      whole room was then bathed in soft red light.

      The map coordinates of the `target' would be
      written on a piece of paper, placed in an
      envelope and handed to the viewer. He would
      be allowed to touch the envelope but forbidden
      to open it. Alternatively, pictures of the
      target location would be sealed in the envelope.
      The remote viewers would then slip into a light
      meditative trance and their "minds eye" would
      be drawn to the target location. Pictures,
      feelings and impressions would then drift into
      their minds from the target, which might be
      located thousands of miles away.

      To an outsider, this approach might appear
      to produce only hopelessly vague results that
      were no better than guesswork. But the
      scientists investigating remote viewing found
      them to be surprisingly accurate and the
      military found them useful too.

      Joe McMoneagle was "Remote Viewer #1". His primary
      role was to use remote viewing to look inside
      Russian military bases and gather useful
      intelligence.

      McMoneagle was recruited from US Army intelligence
      in Vietnam because of his amazing ability to
      survive whilst reconnoitering behind enemy lines
      against seemingly impossible odds. His
      commanding officers thought he was either
      amazingly lucky, psychic or a double agent.
      He was tested for his remote viewing skills at
      Stanford and found to be psychic. He went on to
      spend the next 20 years tracking Russian nuclear
      warheads an d gathering intelligence. His work
      eventually earned him the Legion of Merit,
      America's highest military non-combat medal.

      "My success rate was around 28 percent," says
      McMoneagle. "That may not sound very good but
      we were brought in to deal with the hopeless
      cases. Our information was then cross-checked
      with any other available intelligence to build
      up an overall picture. We proved to be quite useful `spies'."

      Word of America's experiments with the
      paranormal spread to the UK and the Metropolitan
      Police were one of the first to informally use
      remote viewers to tackle crime. One of their most
      useful informants was Nella Jones, who first came
      to their attention when she located the stolen
      Vermeer painting The Guitar Player in 1974.

      Nella was ironing some clothes and idly watching
      the television when her mind suddenly focused
      on the whereabouts of the painting. She hurriedly
      sketched it out and took it to the police who
      were understandably skeptical. Having nothing
      else to go on they decided to follow her leads.
      The painting was eventually recovered as a result
      of the information she gave them.

      It would be easy to dismiss Nella's guidance to
      the police as just blind luck. Easy, that is,
      if she hadn't spent the following 20 years helping
      them ensnare murderers and other serious offenders.

      "Nella gave invaluable assistance on a number
      of murders," says Detective Chief Inspector
      Arnie Cooke. "Her evidence was not the type
      you can put before a jury. But senior
      investigating officers have got to take people
      like her on board and accept what they are saying."

      So useful was Nella to Scotland Yard that in
      1993 they publicly thanked her and senior
      officers hosted a dinner in her honor.

      Scotland Yard later wrote to her saying:
      "Some police officers may have seemed
      skeptical of your abilities….. but it is a
      mark of those abilities that police turn
      to you time and time again."

      Not to be outdone, in 2002 Britain's Ministry
      of Defense began conducting its own secretive
      remote viewing project. Documents recently
      released under the Freedom of Information Act
      and seen by the Daily Mail detail a "UK
      eyes only" series of experiments. Unfortunately,
      much of the experimental details and the
      results are still classified and the MoD
      refused to say whether they were a success
      or not. Releasing such details would imperil
      the defense of the nation claims the MoD.
      What little information that is available is
      described as "poor quality" by Dr Roe.

      "Their analysis of the data is quite
      frankly, woeful," he says.

      The MoD documents unfortunately raise more
      questions than answers, chief of which is;
      does remote viewing actually work? The
      evidence is intriguing and compelling in
      equal measure. Clearly the Metropolitan
      Police value it, and the CIA and the US
      military found powerful evidence that seemingly
      ordinary people are clairvoyant.

      In 1995, the US Congress asked two independent
      scientists to assess whether the $20 million
      they had spent on psychic research had produced
      anything of value. And the conclusions proved
      to be somewhat unexpected. Professor Jessica
      Butts, a statistician from the University of
      California at Davis, discovered that remote
      viewers were correct 34 percent of the time,
      a figure that is way beyond what chance
      guessing would allow. In fact, it's billions
      to one against.

      She says: "Using the standards applied to any
      other area of science you have to conclude
      that certain psychic phenomena, such as
      remote viewing, have been well established.
      The results are not due to chance or flaws
      in the experiments.

      "People aren't willing to either look at
      this evidence or aren't willing to believe
      it when they see it."

      Of course, this doesn't wash with skeptical
      scientists. Professor Richard Wiseman, a
      psychologist at the University of Hertfordshire,
      refuses to believe in remote viewing.

      He says: "I agree that by the standards of
      any other area of science that remote viewing
      is proven but that begs the question
      `do we need higher standards of evidence'
      when we study the paranormal? I think we do.

      "If I said that there is a red car outside
      my house you would probably believe me. If
      I said that a UFO had just landed you'd
      probably want a lot more evidence. Because
      remote viewing is such an outlandish claim
      that will revolutionize the world, we need
      overwhelming evidence before we draw any
      conclusions. Right now we don't have that evidence."

      Dr Chris Roe hopes he can provide such proof
      one way or the other. Next month he will embark
      on a series of experiments that will be more
      rigorous than any other attempted before. They
      will rule out fluke positive results and any
      unconscious biases held by anyone involved with
      the experiments. Perhaps more importantly,
      he will be free of any shackles imposed by the military.

      And if that wasn't enough, they will prove
      one way or the other whether it is possible
      to remote view through time. That is, he will
      investigate whether it is possible for remote
      viewers to not only observe distant locations,
      but also to see what will happen at that place
      at a predetermined time in the future.

      "Time does not seem to be a barrier to
      remote viewing," says Dr Roe. "Although
      there are some problems with the boggle threshold."

      Although such ideas do indeed boggle the mind,
      that, of course, does not necessarily mean they are not true.
    • sean tremblay

        Message 3 of 4 , Feb 18, 2008
          Hey, Sean.

          Maybe you need to tune into
          another time zone, and phone
          in your picks (or telepath
          them).

          Jeff

          PS: Happy Birthday, tomorrow.

          <bethjams9@...> wrote:

> [...]
          > on a series of experiments that will be more
          > rigorous than any other attempted before. They
          > will rule out fluke positive results and any
          > unconscious biases held by anyone involved with
          > the experiments. Perhaps more importantly,
          > he will be free of any shackles imposed by the military.
          >
          > And if that wasn't enough, they will prove
          > one way or the other whether it is possible
          > to remote view through time. That is, he will
          > investigate whether it is possible for remote
          > viewers to not only observe distant locations,
          > but also to see what will happen at that place
          > at a predetermined time in the future.
          >
          > "Time does not seem to be a barrier to
          > remote viewing," says Dr Roe. "Although
          > there are some problems with the boggle threshold."
          >
          > Although such ideas do indeed boggle the mind,
          > that, of course, does not necessarily mean they are not true.

        • sean tremblay
          Message 4 of 4 , Feb 18, 2008
            Thanks!

            Jeff Belyea <jeff@...> wrote: