RE: [Meditation Society of America] Jain Prayer In Preparation For Meditation (and Life)

  • Balasubramanian Radhakrishnan Kumar
    Message 1 of 3 , Feb 13, 2008
      In meditation, one need not abandon one's body. Because through the body only, one can search and identify the immortal soul -- B.R.Kumar, Chennai, India

      To: meditationsocietyofamerica@yahoogroups.com
      From: no_reply@yahoogroups.com
      Date: Wed, 13 Feb 2008 19:51:00 +0000
      Subject: [Meditation Society of America] Jain Prayer In Preparation For Meditation (and Life)

      As long as I am seated in this meditation,
      I shall patiently suffer all calamities
      that might befall me, be they caused by an
      animal, a human being or a god.

      I renounce, for the duration [of this meditation],
      my body, all food, and all passions.
      Attachment, aversion, fear, sorrow, joy, anxiety,
      self-pity... all these I abandon with body,
      mind, and speech. I further renounce all delight
      and all repulsion of a sexual nature.

      Whether it is life or death, whether gain
      or loss, whether defeat or victory, whether
      meeting or separation, whether friend or enemy, whether
      pleasure or pain, I have equanimity towards all.

      In [attaining] knowledge, insight, and proper
      conduct, [the cause] is invariably nothing but
      my own soul. Similarly, my soul [is cause] for
      both the influx of karmas and the stopping of that influx.

      One and eternal is my soul, characterized by
      intuition and knowledge; all other states that
      I undergo are external to me, for they are formed by
      associations. Because of these associations my
      soul has suffered the chains of misery; therefore
      I renounce with body, mind, and speech, all
      relationships based on such associations.

      Thus have I attained to equanimity and to my
      own self-nature. May this state of equanimity be
      with me until I attain salvation.

      Jainism. Samayika Patha

      Detailed profiles 4 marriage! Only at Shaadi.com Try it!
    • westwindwood2003
      Message 2 of 3 , Feb 13, 2008
        --- In meditationsocietyofamerica@yahoogroups.com, Balasubramanian
        Radhakrishnan Kumar <kumarbr20@...> wrote:

        > In meditation, one need not abandon one's body. Because through the
        body only, one can search and identify the immortal soul --
        B.R.Kumar, Chennai, India

        I found this explanation at
        http://www.kheper.net/topics/meditation/Jain_meditation.htm at the
        bottom of the page: This is one of many recitations, samayika patha,
        inwardly repeated during the layperson's meditation, the samayika.
        Usually performed at dusk, when the day's activities have come to an
        end, the layperson sits in a yoga posture, asks forgiveness of all
        beings, puts his mind in a state of calm, and begins his meditation.
        This Jain practice allows laypeople a taste of the ascetic life.

        As long as I am seated in this meditation, I shall patiently suffer
        all calamities that might befall me, be they caused by an animal, a
        human being or a god.

        Comment: The requirement above seems to apply only during meditation
        by the layperson. For one who takes up the monastic life; however,
        would apparently be expected to do the above full time. I am
        thinking, though, that the layperson would have many more instances
        to patiently suffer calamities, having business dealings, a wife,
        kids and material possessions such as a home. I have found that if I
        do not have contact with others, that in about two weeks time, the
        propensities that are revealed in meditation are not stimulated and
        meditation becomes dull and unproductive for my evolution.

        I renounce, for the duration [of this meditation], my body, all food,
        and all passions. Attachment, aversion, fear, sorrow, joy, anxiety,
        self-pity... all these I abandon with body, mind, and speech. I
        further renounce all delight and all repulsion of a sexual nature.
        Whether it is life or death, whether gain or loss, whether defeat or
        victory, whether meeting or separation, whether friend or enemy,
        whether pleasure or pain, I have equanimity towards all.

        Comment: With enlightenment, there is a giving up of the desires and
        propensities (the above is a nice list) that drive a person's ego,
        but giving it up is done slowly, ever so slowly, an evolution that
        takes years, but is fought day by day as the wisdom of how to proceed
        is presented when one says in a devotional way in meditation: thy
        will be done. This at least is my experience. As a layperson to be
        fully engaged in the spiritual life through meditation I think is
        more difficult than being a monk or nun. Now I could be wrong about
        what a monk or num experiences in the way of life's tribulations, but
        it seems to me a poor substitute to take vows that setup tribulations
        by taking up a monastic life when the complexity of problems
        associated with being an active layperson and living a spiritual life
        are about as much as I can possibly do.

        In [attaining] knowledge, insight, and proper conduct, [the cause] is
        invariably nothing but my own soul. Similarly, my soul [is cause]
        for both the influx of karmas and the stopping of that influx.

        Comment: What comes to me here for proper evolution of the soul is
        Don't Hesitate to Meditate.

        One and eternal is my soul, characterized by intuition and knowledge;
        all other states that I undergo are external to me, for they are
        formed by associations. Because of these associations my soul has
        suffered the chains of misery; therefore I renounce with body, mind,
        and speech, all relationships based on such associations.

        Comment: Intuition and knowledge are found in enlightenment,
        approached by offering up problems, thy will be done. I do it at the
        end of every meditation for divine guidance on what to do with my
        problem, or propensity of the moment. Trust that only, because
        external desires, associations, can engage the ego, which wants to be
        the guide rather than the Divine.

        Thus have I attained to equanimity and to my own self-nature. May
        this state of equanimity be with me until I attain salvation.

        Comment: Yes, equanimity, knowledge of my own self-nature, is a
        symptom or result caused by meditation, and enlightenment drives me
        towards salvation.