Re: THE SAGE'S VIEW OF THE WORLD

  • judirhodes <judirhodes@zianet.com>
    Message 1 of 20 , Jan 1, 2003
      <no_reply@y...> wrote:
      > By Swami Sivananda
      >
      > The man who stands up to his neck in water has a two­fold
      > experience. His head is exposed to the sun. He experiences both
      heat
      > and cold. Such is the experience of a liberated sage. He has double
      > consciousness. He enjoys the bliss of Brahman, but also has the
      > experience of this world. He is like a man who knows two languages.
      >
      > Just as the pot in which asafoetida or onion is kept emits a
      certain
      > amount of smell even when it is cleaned several times, so also, a
      > small trace of ignorance still remains in the mind of a sage. The
      > jivanmukta (liberated sage) has a consciousness of the body in the
      > form of an impression in the subconscious mind. That is the reason
      > why he eats and drinks. Though the instinctive mind with low
      desires
      > is destroyed, the pure mind does not perish in the liberated sage.
      > How will he be able to engage himself in worldly activity without
      an
      > instrument, namely, the mind?
      >
      > The phenomenal universe does not vanish from the vision of the
      > liberated sage. He sees the world as a dream within himself. Just
      as
      > the mirage appears even after the illusory nature of the water is
      > understood, so also, the world appears for a jivanmukta even after
      he
      > has attained self-realisation, even after he has clearly understood
      > the illusory nature of the world. But, just as the man who has
      > understood the nature of the mirage will not run after the mirage
      for
      > drinking water, so also, the sage who is liberated will not pursue
      > sensual objects like the worldly-minded people though the world
      > appears to him. That is the difference between a worldly man and a
      > liberated sage.
      >
      > The jivanmukta beholds the one reality or God everywhere and in all
      > things. For him there is no distinction between a rogue and a
      saint,
      > gold and stone, honour and dishonour. He actually feels that all is
      > himself only that snakes, scorpions, tigers, bears and lions are as
      > much part of himself as his own eyes, nose, ears, hands and feet.
      He
      > is one with the flower, sun, ether, ocean, mountain and sky. He has
      > cosmic vision and cosmic feelings.

      ********* Yes, you awaken happily *in place*, in and *as* the body
      mind itself, such that there is no *escaping* anywhere, where would
      you go? :-) So any idea of "seeking" therefore, is pretty much out of
      the question! :-) We ARE it! OH! :-) So now instead of all that
      unhappy seeking miserable business, understanding takes it place.

      Voila! Anybody got any Grey Poupon? :-)

      Judi
    • judirhodes <judirhodes@zianet.com>
      Message 2 of 20 , Jan 1, 2003

        > ********* Yes, you awaken happily *in place*, in and *as* the body
        > mind itself, such that there is no *escaping* anywhere, where would
        > you go? :-) So any idea of "seeking" therefore, is pretty much out
        of
        > the question! :-) We ARE it! OH! :-) So now instead of all that
        > unhappy seeking miserable business, understanding takes it place.
        >
        > Voila! Anybody got any Grey Poupon? :-)
        >
        > Judi

        ******** So when all these gurus come around trying to "save" you,
        slap 'em one time for me! :-)

        Judi
      • Jeff Belyea <jeff@mindgoal.com>
        Message 3 of 20 , Jan 1, 2003
          Thanks, Bob. Beautiful satsang from Sivananda.
          The sense of two worlds and especially the
          two languages resonate clearly.

          So often, religious admonition to live by
          a certain code or set of rituals, and even
          the claim to exclusivity, is based on
          the new language wrongly interpreted as
          relative to the physical world and then
          "taught" by those who do not know of what
          they speak. These are the false prophets
          so often warned about by Jesus (and Judi).

          Awakened teachers speaking of the results
          of their new perceptions of a separate reality
          in which a perfect joy, perfect love and perfect
          harmony can be known intuitively, are speaking
          from experiential knowledge and understanding.

          The difficulty, the impossibility, of
          distinguishing who is speaking from
          experiential knowledge and who is speaking
          from ego and rationally acquired, intellectual
          postulating, seems the source of much of
          the negative reaction to present day teachers
          and accusations of fraud and hidden agenda
          leveled at them.

          As you say, famous dead guys and those
          who are "to come in future" fare much
          better than those who are in the
          present moment - much the way the ego
          resists resting in the present moment.

          Some of us who have received what I consider
          to be pure gift, feel that they were allowed
          to see this truth under the agreement that
          they would communicate it to others
          (Boddisattva vow) - even though they find
          that it cannot be put in words and must be
          personally experienced to be known. Others
          who come to understand this "new language" feel
          that any attempt to guide is misguidance.

          I received guidance. And am grateful for it.
          So, my leaning is to offer to guide and
          witness to the possibility of new understanding
          available to us, that which we are intuitively
          drawn to seek out.

          Ultimately, the guidance is to "go within" and
          discover what is already there - the kingdom
          within. Meditation is the method prescribed
          by virtually all awakened teachers.
          For me, it was a re-awakening in the midst
          of formal meditation, and so the paradigm
          in which I "teach" is that our natural state
          is one of enlightenment and it is a re-awakening
          that "returns us" to our natural enlightenment
          and pure joy in living that we knew as a child.

          "By their fruits you shall know them".
          Your fruit bowl is full and your
          manner always gracious, Bob.
          I love the work you do and I admire
          the equanimity and openness you
          maintain. Happy New Year.

          Peace and love and gratitude,

          Jeff
        • judirhodes <judirhodes@zianet.com>
          Message 4 of 20 , Jan 1, 2003
            --- In meditationsocietyofamerica@yahoogroups.com, "Jeff Belyea
            <jeff@m...>" <jeff@m...> wrote:
            > Thanks, Bob. Beautiful satsang from Sivananda.
            > The sense of two worlds and especially the
            > two languages resonate clearly.
            >
            > So often, religious admonition to live by
            > a certain code or set of rituals, and even
            > the claim to exclusivity, is based on
            > the new language wrongly interpreted as
            > relative to the physical world and then
            > "taught" by those who do not know of what
            > they speak. These are the false prophets
            > so often warned about by Jesus (and Judi).
            >
            > Awakened teachers speaking of the results
            > of their new perceptions of a separate reality
            > in which a perfect joy, perfect love and perfect
            > harmony can be known intuitively, are speaking
            > from experiential knowledge and understanding.

            ********* There is no separate reality Jeff, this is it, and any
            ideas of "joy" or whatever are merely your "personal" feelings and
            interpreations, your "experience". Whereas understanding itself is
            completely and utterly "impersonal". And that is why understanding
            is NOT and can never be an "experience". In order for there to be
            an "experience" *you* have to be there. Understanding undermines ALL
            experience. A lot of people have had experiential moments of
            openness, la-la-la, as you obviously have, but understanding
            undermines all of that - the *you* that's having your "precious"
            experience and puts it all to rest. In my own case, starting in my
            20's I had many experiences of openness and so-called "blow out"
            experiences, some with some degree of understanding with them. But
            all that comes to end, when that whole "adventure" is "uprooted" and
            *finally* seen for the nonsense that it is - an "experiential
            adventure", which is either suffered OR enjoyed. In other words, I
            now laugh in the face of bliss. I laugh at it all. There is now only
            freedom, and I am it. And so are you, but you persist in holding on
            to your "experience" as though there's something "wunnerful" about
            it. :-) Does "ego" have any relevance here?

            Judi
          • judirhodes <judirhodes@zianet.com>
            Message 5 of 20 , Jan 1, 2003
              > *finally* seen for the nonsense that it is - an "experiential
              > adventure", which is either suffered OR enjoyed. In other words, I
              > now laugh in the face of bliss. I laugh at it all. There is now
              only
              > freedom, and I am it. And so are you, but you persist in holding on
              > to your "experience" as though there's something "wunnerful" about
              > it. :-) Does "ego" have any relevance here?
              >
              > Judi

              ****** I know how desperately you want to be a "teacher", whatever
              sort of egotistical nonsense THAT is? I suggest you stick
              to "teaching" the piano. Now you might consider me a "teacher"
              because I'm telling you to knock the hell it off! Your "slip" is
              showing. I'm not a teacher, I'm your friend. You should learn the
              difference.

              Judi
            • judirhodes <judirhodes@zianet.com>
              Message 6 of 20 , Jan 1, 2003

                > ****** I know how desperately you want to be a "teacher", whatever
                > sort of egotistical nonsense THAT is? I suggest you stick
                > to "teaching" the piano. Now you might consider me a "teacher"
                > because I'm telling you to knock the hell it off! Your "slip" is
                > showing. I'm not a teacher, I'm your friend. You should learn the
                > difference.
                >
                > Judi

                ******* The bottom line here Jeff and for the rest of you "peddlers"
                trying to push some "product" of which there is none! Your "product"
                is nothing but your own infatuation, your own ego.

                Judi
              • judirhodes <judirhodes@zianet.com>
                Message 7 of 20 , Jan 1, 2003

                  > ******* The bottom line here Jeff and for the rest of
                  you "peddlers"
                  > trying to push some "product" of which there is none!
                  Your "product"
                  > is nothing but your own infatuation, your own ego.
                  >
                  > Judi

                  ******** And if you guys can't see that, heaven help us all!
                  I'd rather hang with a goddamn used car salesman than to look at the
                  likes of you "teachers" and "gurus".

                  Message 8 of 20 , Jan 1, 2003
                    Sweet friend, Judi -

                    Can you possibly keep your
                    slasher tongue in its holster
                    long enough to read more
                    than one sentence? Your
                    self-contradiction is
                    showing all over the place.
                    You say it's not joy, but you call
                    it pure joy. It's not experience
                    but you call it a new
                    perceptual condition.
                    New is necessarily experiential,
                    perception is experiential -
                    understanding is experiential.
                    Semantic hair-splitting
                    just to be an antagonist
                    is your tiresome game.

                    And speaking of place, this
                    really isn't the place for this,
                    but I'm tired of stepping
                    in your smelly bullshit
                    everywhere I go...and I want
                    a shoot out, Rocky.

                    Go ahead and run back to the ranch.
                    I'll be on your trail. I don't
                    like your style, but I grew
                    up with people who walked it
                    and talked it, and I'm willing
                    and able to stand my ground
                    against your bluster, buster.

                    I guess you don't have enough
                    to rant about at the ranch.
                    You got an extra bunk?.
                    You didn't run me off, you
                    invited me back "anytime".
                    Still a standing invitation?
                    You'll have your boys there.

                    I left because your juvenile boys
                    grew ridiculously boring.
                    They didn't scare me off, my
                    side was hurting from laughing
                    at their naivety, pompous parroting,
                    and pitiful pandering to you.
                    You talk about others wanting fawning
                    disciples. What do you have at
                    the ranch? They got nothing.
                    Less than Snarlo's Guru Raters,
                    even.

                    And get real, you jumped around
                    like a tenderfoot with someone
                    shooting at her feet when my
                    inquiries got too hot.

                    You, I challenge to duel...
                    Hot-Air filled Cream puffs
                    at 50 paces. That's about
                    all you got other than
                    a bundt pan.

                    Still reading?...

                    On July 21, 1975 at about
                    9:30am my life changed, a
                    door opened. It was not a flash,
                    not a la la la moment, it was a
                    permanent shift of identity,
                    a new awareness of a reality
                    that I had been separated
                    from - a separate reality -
                    until known, a new overriding
                    current running through my every
                    conscious moment from that
                    moment on. And it was and is
                    blissful, peaceful beyond
                    understanding, and full of joy.
                    Still is.Doesn't mean I don't have
                    a bold and bad-ass ego, or
                    that I run from a scrap.

                    Not all sages are milquetoasts,
                    the best of them have been
                    known to fashion a whip and
                    crack a few heads.

                    Whatever I choose to call
                    my awakening experience
                    cannot be negated by your
                    constant carping. Its wasted.
                    The person who entered
                    the meditation center,
                    after 24 years of seeking,
                    never left. He ceased to exit.
                    (Sound familiar?)

                    So you don't subscribe to
                    the Boddisattva vow? I do.
                    I took it. I honor it.

                    Your shots at my ego
                    are in vain. I grin
                    and bear it, because I don't
                    miss the wry smile behind
                    all your seeming ferocity.

                    But for the sake of
                    those who are here
                    for inquiry...

                    Can't you ever just shut
                    the fuck up, and let someone
                    speak without whacking them on
                    the head with your tight-ass,
                    self-righteous, know-it-all
                    table of the Judi commandments?

                    Your need to straighten
                    out all the error you
                    see in everyone else
                    might have something to
                    do with the ego you
                    consistently see
                    all around you.

                    Rude enough to win
                    you over?

                    Your blissed out bawdy friend,

                    Jeff

                    PS: My apologies to the gentle folks here
                    for this evening's R-Rated entertainment.
                    Somewhere there's a lesson here.I'm going
                    to go see what's cookin' at the ranch.
                  • judirhodes <judirhodes@zianet.com>
                    Message 9 of 20 , Jan 1, 2003
                      Aha! Struck a nerve did I? Well there you have it.
                      Sure, come on over the ranch, I'm not the only one who can see
                      through your "pink experiential panties". :-)

                      Judi

                      <jeff@m...>" <jeff@m...> wrote:
> [...]
                      > side was hurting from laughing
                      > at their naivety, pompous parroting,
                      > and pitiful pandering to you.
                      > You talk about others wanting fawning
                      > disciples. What do you have at
                      > the ranch? They got nothing.
                      > Less than Snarlo's Guru Raters,
                      > even.
                      >
                      > And get real, you jumped around
                      > like a tenderfoot with someone
                      > shooting at her feet when my
                      > inquiries got too hot.
                      >
                      > You, I challenge to duel...
                      > Hot-Air filled Cream puffs
                      > at 50 paces. That's about
                      > all you got other than
                      > a bundt pan.
                      >
                      > Still reading?...
                      >
                      > On July 21, 1975 at about
                      > 9:30am my life changed, a
                      > door opened. It was not a flash,
                      > not a la la la moment, it was a
                      > permanent shift of identity,
                      > a new awareness of a reality
                      > that I had been separated
                      > from - a separate reality -
                      > until known, a new overriding
                      > current running through my every
                      > conscious moment from that
                      > moment on. And it was and is
                      > blissful, peaceful beyond
                      > understanding, and full of joy.
                      > Still is.Doesn't mean I don't have
                      > a bold and bad-ass ego, or
                      > that I run from a scrap.
                      >
                      > Not all sages are milquetoasts,
                      > the best of them have been
                      > known to fashion a whip and
                      > crack a few heads.
                      >
                      > Whatever I choose to call
                      > my awakening experience
                      > cannot be negated by your
                      > constant carping. Its wasted.
                      > The person who entered
                      > the meditation center,
                      > after 24 years of seeking,
                      > never left. He ceased to exit.
                      > (Sound familiar?)
                      >
                      > So you don't subscribe to
                      > the Boddisattva vow? I do.
                      > I took it. I honor it.
                      >
                      > Your shots at my ego
                      > are in vain. I grin
                      > and bear it, because I don't
                      > miss the wry smile behind
                      > all your seeming ferocity.
                      >
                      > But for the sake of
                      > those who are here
                      > for inquiry...
                      >
                      > Can't you ever just shut
                      > the fuck up, and let someone
                      > speak without whacking them on
                      > the head with your tight-ass,
                      > self-righteous, know-it-all
                      > table of the Judi commandments?
                      >
                      > Your need to straighten
                      > out all the error you
                      > see in everyone else
                      > might have something to
                      > do with the ego you
                      > consistently see
                      > all around you.
                      >
                      > Rude enough to win
                      > you over?
                      >
                      > Your blissed out bawdy friend,
                      >
                      > Jeff
                      >
                      > PS: My apologies to the gentle folks here
                      > for this evening's R-Rated entertainment.
                      > Somewhere there's a lesson here.I'm going
                    • tosime
                      Message 10 of 20 , Jan 1, 2003
                        I keep seeing the word "Ranch". What is it?

                        Is it another group?
                        Where is it?
                        What happens there?

                        Are we all invited?

                        ...Tony
                      • tosime
                        Message 11 of 20 , Jan 1, 2003
                          I find the banter very entertaining.

                          It reminds me of the 'French Cafe' dance sequence where a man and woman
                          perform a modern ballet that simulates ugly fight movements - but they end
                          up kissing each other since they really are in love.

                          ...Tony
                        • judirhodes <judirhodes@zianet.com>
                          Message 12 of 20 , Jan 1, 2003
                            <jeff@m...>" <jeff@m...> wrote:
                            > Sweet friend, Judi -
                            >
                            > Can you possibly keep your
                            > slasher tongue in its holster
                            > long enough to read more
                            > than one sentence? Your
                            > self-contradiction is
                            > showing all over the place.
                            > You say it's not joy, but you call
                            > it pure joy.

                            ***** Big difference. It's "indistinguishable".

                            It's not experience

                            ******** Yep.

                            > New is necessarily experiential,
                            > perception is experiential -

                            ****** Nope, for "experience" to be, there would have to be
                            an "experiencer", of which there is none. :-)

                            > understanding is experiential.

                            ****** Wrong again! Understanding is non-experiential.
                            Ever heard the term "non-duality"? Well there you have it.

                            > Semantic hair-splitting
                            > just to be an antagonist
                            > is your tiresome game.

                            ******** It's not hair-splitting Jeff, it's just the way it is.
                            You're splitting yourself off as the "haver" of experience.
                            Into good and bad experience, which is true for you, but not for me,
                            I see all experience for what it is. Therein lies the difference.

                            > And speaking of place, this
                            > really isn't the place for this,
                            > but I'm tired of stepping
                            > in your smelly bullshit
                            > everywhere I go...and I want
                            > a shoot out, Rocky.
                            >
                            > Go ahead and run back to the ranch.
                            > I'll be on your trail. I don't
                            > like your style, but I grew
                            > up with people who walked it
                            > and talked it, and I'm willing
                            > and able to stand my ground
                            > against your bluster, buster.

                            ****** Take another look, you have no "ground" to stand on.
                            Or more to the point, your "ground" is your own ego.

                            ******** Yes, we're "boring" as hell. :-)

                            > They didn't scare me off, my
                            > side was hurting from laughing
                            > at their naivety, pompous parroting,
                            > and pitiful pandering to you.
                            > You talk about others wanting fawning
                            > disciples.

                            ***** There's no such "fawning" going on.

                            What do you have at

                            ****** Well, you're right there. Got plenty of nothing. :-)

                            ***** Not true, you just didn't like the answers you got.

                            > You, I challenge to duel...
                            > Hot-Air filled Cream puffs
                            > at 50 paces. That's about
                            > all you got other than
                            > a bundt pan.
                            >
                            > Still reading?...
                            >
                            > On July 21, 1975 at about
                            > 9:30am my life changed, a
                            > door opened. It was not a flash,
                            > not a la la la moment, it was a
                            > permanent shift of identity,
                            > a new awareness of a reality
                            > that I had been separated
                            > from - a separate reality -
                            > until known, a new overriding
                            > current running through my every
                            > conscious moment from that
                            > moment on. And it was and is
                            > blissful, peaceful beyond
                            > understanding, and full of joy.
                            > Still is.Doesn't mean I don't have
                            > a bold and bad-ass ego, or
                            > that I run from a scrap.
                            >
                            > Not all sages are milquetoasts,
                            > the best of them have been
                            > known to fashion a whip and
                            > crack a few heads.
                            >
                            > Whatever I choose to call
                            > my awakening experience
                            > cannot be negated by your
                            > constant carping. Its wasted.
                            > The person who entered
                            > the meditation center,
                            > after 24 years of seeking,
                            > never left. He ceased to exit.
                            > (Sound familiar?)
                            >
                            > So you don't subscribe to
                            > the Boddisattva vow? I do.
                            > I took it. I honor it.

                            ******* I chuckle. :-) LOL You are too funny Jeff!
                            What the hell you honoring? LOL Don't be ridiculous.
                            Give it a rest. :-)

                            Message 13 of 20 , Jan 1, 2003
                              Giddy up.
                            • Jeff Belyea <jeff@mindgoal.com>
                              Message 14 of 20 , Jan 1, 2003
                                --- In meditationsocietyofamerica@yahoogroups.com, "tosime" <
                                tosime@b...> wrote:

                                > I find the banter very entertaining.
                                >
                                > It reminds me of the 'French Cafe' dance sequence where a man and woman
                                > perform a modern ballet that simulates ugly fight movements - but they end
                                > up kissing each other since they really are in love.
                                >
                                > ...Tony

                                Well, thanks a lot, Tony. You gave
                                the whole plot away. I want a refund.

                                Love,

                                Jeff
                              • tosime
                                Message 15 of 20 , Jan 1, 2003
                                  oooops...."sorry-o" - as we say in pigeon english over here.

                                  ...Tony

                                  PS - What is the "Ranch"?

                                  Message 16 of 20 , Jan 1, 2003
                                    Hi, again, Tony -

                                    The Ranch is another group site
                                    run by Judi.She approves all members
                                    before they can join and moderates all
                                    messages before they are posted.

                                    A word to the wise. She's on her
                                    best behavior here. She's ruthless
                                    at "The Ranch" - full name, The
                                    End of The Rope, Ranch.

                                    Best,

                                    Jeff
                                  • Jeff Belyea <jeff@mindgoal.com>
                                    Message 17 of 20 , Jan 1, 2003

                                      Message 18 of 20 , Jan 1, 2003

                                        ****** No, that's not true. No posts are moderated.

                                        > A word to the wise. She's on her
                                        > best behavior here. She's ruthless
                                        > at "The Ranch" - full name, The
                                        > End of The Rope, Ranch.

                                        ******* Well that's why I don't people with anger problems on.
                                        If someone has an anger problem, they got to work that out first.
                                        There's a certain level of emotional maturity that's required. And
                                        I'm not mean by any means, but rarely do I ever pull any punches
                                        either, but it's all done in love, good fun and humor. And everyone
                                        seems to have a good time.

                                        Judi

                                      • markwotter704 <markwotter704@yahoo.com>
                                        Message 19 of 20 , Jan 7, 2003
                                          Hi Tony,

                                          the ranch is a place where folks go to be slaughtered. Sounds like
                                          fun, huh?

                                          Mark