Weekly Words of Wisdom by Swami Satchidananda

    Message 1 of 32 , Feb 3, 2008
      A Healthy Ego

      "Don't try to get rid of your ego. Without ego,
      there's no incentive. Even God has a super-ego,
      otherwise why would God create the universe?
      Just change your ego. Make it healthy. If you
      get rid of it, you will be useless. But if you
      purify it by changing 'I' to 'we' and 'mine' to
      'our,' then you have gone to the root cause and
      transformed it. Then you can develop a strong,
      healthy ego. After all, what is ego? It's just
      the individual feeling, which eventually disappears
      in the universality of God. Until then, it is your
      ego that takes you toward God. Without that good ego,
      how could you do your sadhana or spiritual practice?
      To approach God, you need the ego. But as you get
      very close, you lose it."

      "God bless you. Om Shanthi, Shanthi, Shanthi."

      Swami Satchidananda

      To subscribe to Weekly Words of Wisdom, email:
      wordsofwisdom@...
      Message 32 of 32 , Jan 3, 2009
        What Makes You Beautiful?

        "The more you worry about your weight,
        the more sick you become. The worry itself
        causes increase in weight because many
        people eat a lot when they worry. The more
        you think of weight, the more weight you
        will have. As you think, so you become.
        Worry is the most dangerous disease. Keep
        the mind healthy always. If someone doesn't
        want to like you because of your weight, that
        person is interested only in your flesh, not
        in your qualities. What will make a person
        beautiful? The beauty of wisdom that dawns
        through tranquility of mind. We have enough
        troubles and worries. Yogis should not be
        bothered with weight issues. Let us think
        of more important things in life that could
        bring peace, joy and harmony.

        For more by and about Swamiji:
        http://yogaville.org/