Soham

    Message 1 of 35 , Feb 3, 2008
      The last post before this one (which I think
      was very wise and interesting overall) mentioned
      paying attention to your breath as perhaps being
      "boring". And that may be the case if you
      don't, so to say, go an extra step in your
      methodology and add an analytical aspect to
      your practice. The Soham techinque description
      from our web site, Meditation Station, will
      hopefully point to a deeper than 'boring'
      experience, and appreciation for the potential
      benefits of meditative breathing. Enjoy!

      SOHAM

      The Bible tells us that in the beginning there
      was the Word, and the Word was with God, and
      the Word was God. But in the beginning, there
      were no words, no languages, or even sounds of
      humans or animals. So what was the Word that
      was in the beginning. This has been a great
      mystery, but like the solution to many mysteries,
      the answer has been right under our nose all
      along. And that is Soham.

      Soham is referred to as the "Mahamantra", the
      Greatest Mantra, and is considered along with Om
      to be the most powerful of all techniques. This
      was the first meditation technique, both in
      antiquity and in our own lives. The ancient
      cavemen, before they had invented language or
      fire, would sit in their dark caves and have
      nothing else to focus on but the sound of their
      breath. Similarly, the first sound we heard when
      we were in our mothers' womb was the sound of her
      breath, and this sound has been with us ever since
      we drew our first breath. It negates the need to
      rely on any of the words of the languages of the
      world to use as a mantra. It has brought people to
      transcendence of worldly limitations from time
      immemorial and continues to do so. It can be done
      even while driving, working, and doing other acts
      of daily life and thereby offers a continuous
      experience of being in the present. This is a
      great present, because Reality takes place now,
      in the present. Soham is a wonder-full meditation
      technique and I hope will bring you the experience
      of Knowledge, Consciousness, and Bliss that is
      your birthright.

      In the Bible, when God was asked what his name is,
      He answered " I Am That I Am'. In Sanskrit, the
      most ancient of languages, the sound of the
      inhalation is termed So, and the exhalation is
      Ham. Combined, the word Soham is translated as
      "I Am He/That". So, whenever you are doing this
      technique, you are calling on God. Every breath thus
      becomes a prayer and adoration.

      The Soham Meditation Technique

      At the time and in the place where you feel most
      comfortable, place your body in the position that
      you have found to be the most beneficial for
      meditation. Close your eyes. Close your ears by
      putting your thumbs in them, or by using earplugs.
      This will intensify the sound of your breath while
      diminishing the distractions that sight and sound
      bring. Command your mind to be silent, your emotions
      to be calm, and your body to stay relaxed. Focus on
      the sound of your breath coming in. Associate it
      with the word So. As your breath leaves, listen to
      the sound and associate it with the word Ham.
      To pronounce So and Ham correctly, listen to how
      they sound. As with most pranayama (breathing
      techniques), Soham is done either in 3 cycles of
      12 or 12 cycles of 12. One inhalation and one
      exhalation are one respiration. 12 respirations
      are one cycle. For those just starting to use this
      technique, it is usual to silently say the word So
      with each inhalation and the word Ham with each
      exhale. When you are focused consistently,
      consciously, you will flow into simply listening
      to the sound of Soham. Soham is by far the easiest
      meditation. It comes to all living creatures without
      any effort. And yet it is the deepest possible
      technique, as it presents the opportunity to
      meditate on the great mystery of life and the
      life-giver itself.

      No matter how we have acted and reacted, with each
      breath we are forgiven for our so-called sins and
      rewarded with another breath, another heartbeat, and
      another moment of life to cherish. No act of will on
      our part can give us breath. Literally, we are graced
      with this gift of life from a power greater than
      ourselves. A corpse has every bone, every organ, and
      every bodily system that we have, and yet it doesn't
      have life or healing energy filling every cell with
      every breath, as we have. As you merge more and
      more with Soham, you surrender your reactivity to
      your thoughts, emotions, and sensory impressions.
      These are all just heavy earth-bound suffering-causing
      limitations. The divine energy of Soham is limitless
      heavenly love and light. Witness, surrender all
      effort, and fill with this most precious gift of Grace.
    • sandeep chatterjee
      Message 35 of 35 , Feb 14, 2008
        Yes.
        However since even the state of deep sleep is a durational occurrence, it is also within the gestalt of time.
        The state of deep sleep has a start and an end.

        That which is trancendental to even the state of deep sleep is.....

        conceptualizing. ------------ The mind can never cease running or conceptualizing. The very presence of the sense of conceptualizing. .. infers the existence of the