Nisargadatta Maharaj on Meditation

    Message 1 of 3 , Feb 2, 2008
      Maharaj: For meditation you should sit with
      identification with the knowledge "I am" only
      and have confirmed to yourself that you are
      not the body. You must dwell only in that
      knowledge "I am"--not merely the words "I am."
      The design of your body does not signify your
      identification. And also, the name which is
      given to you or to the body is not your correct
      identity. The name which is imposed on you, or
      the name which you have heard about you--you have
      accepted that name as yourself. Similarly, since
      you have seen your body, you think you are the body.
      So you have to give up both these identities. And
      the indwelling knowledge that you are, without words,
      that itself you are. In that identity, you must
      stabilize yourself. And then, whatever doubts you
      have, will be cleared by that very knowledge, and
      everything will be opened up in you.

      Question: All teachers advise to meditate. What is
      the purpose of meditation?

      Maharaj: We know the outer world of sensations
      and actions. But of our inner world of thoughts
      and feelings we know very little. The primary purpose
      of meditation is to become conscious of, and familiar
      with, our inner life. The ultimate purpose is to reach
      the source of life and consciousness. Incidentally,
      practice of meditation affects deeply our character.
      We are slaves to what we do not know. Whatever vice or
      weakness in ourselves we discover and understand its
      causes and its workings, we overcome it by the very
      knowing; the unconscious dissolves when brought into
      the conscious. The dissolution of the unconscious
      release energy; the mind feels adequate and become quiet.
    • westwindwood2003
      Message 2 of 3 , Feb 2, 2008
        > Question: All teachers advise to meditate. What is
        > the purpose of meditation?

        I took up meditation because I knew I was missing compassion for
        others. I was not available when another desperately needed help
        with disastrous consequences. I felt there was something missing in
        me so I went on a quest. Serendipity is a good word here because it
        was just pure luck discovering meditation, as I did not even knowing
        what I was looking for. However, until I was ready to pickup
        meditatoion, the interest just was not there. No teacher could tell
        me; however, life certainly told me. Perhaps for some meditation is
        the release from the treadmill of desire and aversion, or maybe that
        life ultimately only offers death disease and old age or whatever
        your particular suffering is about. But for me, it was that I wanted
        to be a better person. My path to meditation was very circuitous,
        but that is maybe for another time. What meditation does can vary,
        for instance it can have a profound influence on the immune system
        because of stress relief, which means that cancer or arthritis issues
        are manageable by some meditators, at least that is my personal
        experience, but this is a complex issue involving profound self
        knowledge. Health issues aside, meditation is still about profound
        self-knowledge.

        OK, so how does one meditate? First off, a person has to have
        something to concentrate on. It can be anything the calculating mind
        would immediately find boring, for instance watching the breath. The
        breath goes in and out and there are sensations watching it happen,
        ultimately though, one does not calculate the volume of each breath
        or rationalize the reason for each breath and so the calculating mind
        shuts down. Big whoop so you come out of concentration, or maybe you
        were told to watch the breath and you do it so much that you
        completely shut down to the point of being inert. You want neither
        of these; you want it in the middle so that subconscious feelings
        come up into consciousness so that you become aware of your own
        nature at this particular moment. Peace and relaxation are a result
        of this process and that is good because the feelings that come up
        have to be worked with to determine what should be done about ones
        situation and it is going to take some hard work to do it, to come up
        with ways to counter negative energy. It is a good idea to have
        others around you that are trying to accomplish the same kind of
        growth, and most importantly to have a teacher to answer questions
        and guide you in your development. If you have achieved
        enlightenment and are in touch with an energy or nature well beyond
        your own deluded propensities that gives you guidance on how to grow
        into a better being, then you are well established on the path of
        knowledge and will ultimately become like that presence, which is not
        like yourself at this present time.
        Message 3 of 3 , Apr 4, 2010
          Question: All teachers advise to meditate.
          What is the purpose of meditation?

          Maharaj: We know the outer world of sensations
          and actions. But of our inner world of thoughts
          and feelings we know very little. The primary
          purpose of meditation is to become conscious
          of, and familiar with, our inner life. The ultimate
          purpose is to reach the source of life and
          consciousness. Incidentally, practice of meditation
          affects deeply our character. We are slaves to
          what we do not know. Whatever vice or weakness
          in ourselves we discover and understand its causes
          and its workings, we overcome it by the very knowing;
          the unconscious dissolves when brought into the
          conscious. The dissolution of the unconscious
          release energy; the mind feels adequate and become
          quiet.
          FAIR USE NOTICE
          This site contains copyrighted material the
          use of which has not always been specifically
          authorized by the copyright owner. We are
          making such material available in our efforts
          to advance understanding of environmental,
          scientific, spiritual, and social justice issues,
          etc. We believe this constitutes a 'fair use'
          for in section 107 of the US Copyright Law.
          the material on this site is distributed
          without profit to those who have expressed a
          prior interest in receiving the included information
          for research and educational purposes. For more
          information go to:
          http://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/17/107.shtml.
          site for purposes of your own that go beyond 'fair use',
          you must obtain permission from the copyright owner