Words of Wisdom by Swami Satchidananda

    Message 1 of 193 , Jan 27, 2008
      "Find a Beautiful Thought"

      "The mind becomes disturbed merely by thoughts.
      All the things that you see or hear through these
      gates of the body are converted into thought
      forms and directly affect the mind. Perhaps you
      see an apple. That won't affect you unless you
      translate it into a thought, which you had stored
      earlier, 'I know that is an apple. I remember the
      person who brought one to me once and made me happy.'
      Thoughts disturb the mind, but it is impossible to
      not think at all. Even to think of not having any
      thoughts at all is a thought. Then how is it possible
      to have no thoughts and keep the mind still? Just
      find a beautiful thought. Since you must think of
      something, choose thoughts that will not disturb
      your mind.

      "God bless you. Om Shanthi, Shanthi, Shanthi."
      Swami Satchidananda

      To subscribe to the Weekly Words of Wisdom
      email: wordsofwisdom@...
      Message 193 of 193 , Dec 25, 2014

        Question: I have a growing desire to see God. It has become the thing I want most. But no matter how much I long for Him, my worldly duties and needs get in the way. Can you help me?

        Sri Swami Satchidananda: How do you know that you have not seen Him? I heard Him saying, "I have been in front of this person so many times, but he never even recognized Me. He was calling, calling, calling for Me. So I went there many times, stood right in front of him, and he didn't even bother to look at Me. He just brushed Me aside and kept on saying, 'God, where are You? Where are You?'"

        Before you look for God, you should know what He looks like, or at least what God is. God has no particular form, but He appears in all forms and names. It is with His consciousness that I am saying all these things; and with His consciousness, you are listening. To simplify it, we say that God is all consciousness - superconsciousness, cosmic consciousness - or peace. God is already there in you as peace, but you disturb your peace by searching for God. Stop searching and disturbing your peace, and you will experience God. A disturbed mind can never understand God. Looking for God is not our first and foremost duty. Our first and foremost duty is to take care not to let the mind lose its peace. You don't have to make the mind peaceful. If you leave it alone, it is peaceful. In our own lives we should see that we don't lose our peace due to our thoughts, words, actions.

        Learn to remain undisturbed, unshakeable, as steady as the Rock of Gibraltar. You should treasure the peace of your mind so much that nothing, nothing, nothing would shake you. You should be ready to renounce anything and everything that is going to disturb your peace. Name, fame, money, power, position, relatives, friends - all should be secondary to maintaining your peace. Everything else is nothing compared to peace of mind. With that peace, you will easily see God.

        Om shant. Om shanti. Om shanti.