What meditation REALLY has done so far.

  • jogeshwarmahanta
    Message 1 of 6 , Jan 23, 2008
      Dear friends! There are abundant of tall claims on meditation but I
      was looking for illustrations for years. Here I find ONE,BRK

      1."I have not
      fallen ill for the past fifty years."
      All systems are regulated.
      2" Not even I had been attacked by
      common cold ! "
      Immune system is made perfect.
      3"I never get headache !"
      No involuntary stress
      4." Body temperature remains normal
      always ! I have traversed in icy cold Himalayas with a cotton shirt
      on ! The Indian Army doctors have checked up my pulse rate and found
      to be normal even in sub-zero conditions"

      Thermal system is transformed.

      Dear aspirants! Do you get booster to your practice? Are there other
      illustrations too in this group?
      regards
    • jogeshwarmahanta
      Message 2 of 6 , Jan 26, 2008
        Strange! No interest in either preventive or therapeutic aspect of
        meditation or guided imagery.

        National Institute Of Health is spending millions on Cmplementary
        and alternative medicines.

        Bill Gates spends none.
        regards

        --- In
        <jogeshwarmahanta@...> wrote:

        > Dear friends! There are abundant of tall claims on meditation but
        > was looking for illustrations for years. Here I find ONE,BRK
        >
        > 1."I have not
        > fallen ill for the past fifty years."
        > All systems are regulated.
        > 2" Not even I had been attacked by
        > common cold ! "
        > Immune system is made perfect.
        > 3"I never get headache !"
        > No involuntary stress
        > 4." Body temperature remains normal
        > always ! I have traversed in icy cold Himalayas with a cotton
        shirt
        > on ! The Indian Army doctors have checked up my pulse rate and
        found
        > to be normal even in sub-zero conditions"
        >
        > Thermal system is transformed.
        >
        > Dear aspirants! Do you get booster to your practice? Are there
        other
        > illustrations too in this group?
        > regards

      • westwindwood2003
        Message 3 of 6 , Feb 3, 2008
          --- In meditationsocietyofamerica@yahoogroups.com, "jogeshwarmahanta"
          <jogeshwarmahanta@...> wrote:

          > Strange! No interest in either preventive or therapeutic aspect of
          > meditation or guided imagery.

          For using meditation for dealing with immune system problems such as
          cancer and arthritis, I thought of the book, You Can Fight For Your
          Life: Emotional Factors in the Treatment of Cancer by Lawrence LeShan
          (Paperback - Jan 25, 1980), which is still in print. LeShan
          counseled terminal cancer patients in a medical setting, evolving a
          technique where about 50% of his clients survived. The difference in
          his approach was to ask, "what is going right" rather than "what is
          wrong" in a clients life. It is not much to go on for other
          psychologists, who might want to duplicate his success and it seems
          not much is being done now days because when I Google the three
          words, cancer remission psychology, I find nothing significant.
          LeShan has also written books on beginning meditation and so I wonder
          if this also influenced his counseling technique. Perhaps meditation
          also gave him an orientation that helped his clients.

          If a psychologist asks what is wrong, the stressful and negative
          aspects of the cancer patient's life are brought into the
          consciousness and the patient thinks "what hope is there". If the
          question is what is right, then hope for the future is at least a
          consideration and avenues can be explored. This is similar to a
          procedure in meditation where a person can use a good emotion to
          cancel another negative one that keeps coming up in meditation. You
          can counter a negative emotion by substituting a positive one.

          The psychologist has to be open to what the client says and be fully
          engaged to allow a complete exploration. I think in some way, LeShan
          would allow the same kinds of feelings that would come up in
          meditation to be expressed by the client in counseling. For examples
          of type of feelings, see pages 26 and 27 in
          http://www.urbandharma.org/pdf/mindfulness_in_plain_english.pdf
          Exploration of feelings can then evolve into a way for the client to
          rationalize or otherwise find a way to reduce the stress in their
          life to allow their immune system to strengthen and eliminate the
          cancer. Another book, although not quite explicit as LeShan's, is
          Kitchen Table Wisdom: Stories That Heal by Rachel Naomi Remen.

          Soon after I discovered meditation in my early thirties, I dealt with
          arthritis. I had fallen off a ladder onto my shoulder while working
          for my uncle in his orchard, and I had an arthritic back, and a
          disintegrating disk. They were talking about removing the disk. I
          was in some pain and needed a special bed. I though that if
          meditation could speed healing, then maybe I would work on my back.
          Well I tried to do imaging and found a feeling of a block. I then
          tried looking at my feelings by taking the thought of what I wanted
          to look at into meditation and found a reason for the bad back.
          Seems I wanted people to feel sorry for me. Since no one was doing
          that, I figured I had better give this feeling up since it was not
          doing anything for me. After that, healing moved along. In two
          months, I had no more pain, and to this day I have never had any back
          trouble, except for sore muscles when I work too hard, but the next
          day everything is back to normal.

          About ten years after I started meditating, I found I had a small pea
          size lump under my skin, but the skin itself looked normal. The lump
          had roots extending out from the lump with a half-inch radius. Now I
          do not know what that really was, but I did meditation, looked at
          emotional issues, found a reason, rationalized a solution, and the
          roots got rounded on the ends and everything shrunk to nothing in
          about five days. I though this may have been some kind of cancer,
          but we will never know since no doctors were involved.

          Move forward to March 2005 and I have been diagnosed with cancer of
          the colon. I found some emotional issues, but I could not work it
          out intellectually. Life was just too much for me, too stressful,
          but I felt I should be more positive about life so I meditated some
          more and was told that my time was not up. Confound it. I was going
          to have to work on life, not give up. I could palpate the cancer in
          my abdomen, low on the left side, but in ten days it went to about
          half size and got softer. At that point I was scheduled for surgery
          so I went ahead with it because it would have driven my wife nuts for
          me not to. The pathology came back, nothing in the lymph nodes and
          the oncologist said it was a `punky' cancer, non-aggressive.
        • Aideen McKenna
          Message 4 of 6 , Feb 3, 2008

            You’ve brought about real healing in your body.  It’s wonderful to read your posts.

            I have a very soft spot for Lawrence LeShan, whose book & tape “How to Meditate” saved my sanity years ago.

            If you google “psychoneuroimmunology cancer”, you may find the sort of thing you were searching for.  (I haven’t time right now to check that out thoroughly).

            I believe Jon Kabat-Zinn is doing work with cancer patients using meditation as a technique.

> [...]

            about five days. I though this may have been some kind of cancer,
            but we will never know since no doctors were involved.

            Move forward to March 2005 and I have been diagnosed with cancer of
            the colon. I found some emotional issues, but I could not work it
            out intellectually. Life was just too much for me, too stressful,
            but I felt I should be more positive about life so I meditated some
            more and was told that my time was not up. Confound it. I was going
            to have to work on life, not give up. I could palpate the cancer in
            my abdomen, low on the left side, but in ten days it went to about
            half size and got softer. At that point I was scheduled for surgery
            so I went ahead with it because it would have driven my wife nuts for
            me not to. The pathology came back, nothing in the lymph nodes and
            the oncologist said it was a `punky' cancer, non-aggressive.

            Checked by AVG Free Edition.

            Checked by AVG Free Edition.

          • jogeshwarmahanta
            Message 5 of 6 , Feb 3, 2008
              Friends! Thanks for the interest. Let me repeat the notional formula
              and the mantra.Let it pervade all states,sleep,awakened and dream.

              The notional formula:

              > Health power/longevity =f(RxHT/UHT)
              >
              > Where
              > f=function f
              > R=resilience
              > HT=healthy thoughts
              > UHT=unhealthy thoughts.
              >
              > Mantra-LET US ATTAIN PERFECTION AND PLEASURES IN THE CONSTANT FLOW
              > OF CLEAR,VIVID AND CORRECT FEELINGS AND IDEAS AND NOT ANY WRONG
              > FEELING AND IDEA INSTANTLY, PERFECTLY,PERMANENTLY AND
              SPONTANEOUSLY.

              --- In meditationsocietyofamerica@yahoogroups.com, "Aideen McKenna"
              <aideenmck@...> wrote:

              > You've brought about real healing in your body. It's wonderful to
              read your
              > posts.
              >
              > I have a very soft spot for Lawrence LeShan, whose book &
              tape "How to
              > Meditate" saved my sanity years ago.
              >
              > If you google "psychoneuroimmunology cancer", you may find the
              sort of thing
              > you were searching for. (I haven't time right now to check that
              out
              > thoroughly).
              >
              > I believe Jon Kabat-Zinn is doing work with cancer patients using
              meditation
              > as a technique.
              >

              > _____

              40yahoogroups.com"meditationsocietyof-ame
> [...]
              of
              > the colon. I found some emotional issues, but I could not work it
              > out intellectually. Life was just too much for me, too stressful,
              > but I felt I should be more positive about life so I meditated
              some
              > more and was told that my time was not up. Confound it. I was
              going
              > to have to work on life, not give up. I could palpate the cancer
              in
              > my abdomen, low on the left side, but in ten days it went to about
              > half size and got softer. At that point I was scheduled for
              surgery
              > so I went ahead with it because it would have driven my wife nuts
              for
              > me not to. The pathology came back, nothing in the lymph nodes and
              > the oncologist said it was a `punky' cancer, non-aggressive.

              2/02/08
              > 1:50 PM

              > Checked by AVG Free Edition.
              2/02/08