Re: [Meditation Society of America] A description of "GOD" from Upanishids (Hind

    Message 1 of 3 , Jan 16, 2008
      Bruce Morgen <editor@...> wrote:

      > ERa wrote:
      > > http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mTfEXfA7OAs
      > >

      > > Says, that the GOD what people think God is not god. God can not be
      > > know, truly known, those who think they know, know nothing: the
      > > ignorant think they know, the wise *know it beyond knowledge.
      > >
      > > When you see, that God works through you in every moment..enter
      > > eternal life.
      > >
      > > Nice bit from Upanishads read by Ram Das.
      > >
      > Such a teaching is the heart of
      > the ancient Jewish prohibition
      > against saying the "actual"
      > name of "God." It also is in
      > the Commandment against "graven
      > images," because any "image" of
      > "God" we have "graven" in our
      > imaginations by definition
      > diminishes that unknowable,
      > actual "God."

      You Sri Era and Sri Bruceji,

      This somewhat segues well into the concept that
      if you obey the first of the 10 Commandments,
      "Thou shalt put no other gods before Me", you will
      be obeying all 613 Thou shalt and Thou shalt nots
      that are in the Old Testament. Similarly, even if
      you are obeying all the other commandments, if
      you are not obeying the first, you are sinning.
      This means that one should always be thinking
      about and be available to God. And as an empty
      vehicle God will fill you with Her/His Divine
      energy, wisdom and blessings. So, if for instance
      you are thinking about your car, that car has become
      a god for you that has been put before The God.
      And that would be "sinning", whatever that means.
      That's why we find examples in every religious
      tradition of monks, priests, Lamas, nuns, Rabbi's,
      etc, chanting prayers to God or saying Her/His name
      non-stop. As we read and interact right this moment
      there is no doubt that millions of people are doing
      this devotional action.
      It is said that Mantra is the easiest path to Enlightenment
      (once againÂ…whatever that means). A "proof" of this
      is given in the description of Krishna playing his flute.
      The music caused the ladies to drop whatever they were
      doing and to experience divine ecstasy. This is because
      the flute was pure of all impurities and had nothing to
      block God's celestial harmonies. The analogy is that
      we too should be empty of all blocks to the cosmic
      flow, and those blockages are characterized as negative
      aspects of personality like anger, hate, cold-heartedness,
      being uncharitable, selfishness, etc. And if we are
      always chanting God's name, we are not doing any of
      those things which would make our flutes too dirty to
      sound pure chords, and we become perfect instruments
      for God to interact with his creation. And as we are
      obeying the first Command, we are also obeying all the
      Commands and we will live happily ever after.