Re: [Meditation Society of America] A description of "GOD" from Upanishids (Hindu Scripture)

  • Bruce Morgen
    Message 1 of 3 , Jan 15, 2008
      ERa wrote:
      > http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mTfEXfA7OAs
      >

      > Says, that the GOD what people think God is not god. God can not be
      > know, truly known, those who think they know, know nothing: the
      > ignorant think they know, the wise *know it beyond knowledge.
      >
      > When you see, that God works through you in every moment..enter
      > eternal life.
      >
      > Nice bit from Upanishads read by Ram Das.

      Such a teaching is the heart of
      the ancient Jewish prohibition
      against saying the "actual"
      name of "God." It also is in
      the Commandment against "graven
      images," because any "image" of
      "God" we have "graven" in our
      imaginations by definition
      diminishes that unknowable,
      actual "God."
      Message 2 of 3 , Jan 16, 2008
        Bruce Morgen <editor@...> wrote:

        > ERa wrote:
        > > http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mTfEXfA7OAs
        > >

        > > Says, that the GOD what people think God is not god. God can not be
        > > know, truly known, those who think they know, know nothing: the
        > > ignorant think they know, the wise *know it beyond knowledge.
        > >
        > > When you see, that God works through you in every moment..enter
        > > eternal life.
        > >
        > > Nice bit from Upanishads read by Ram Das.
        > >
        > Such a teaching is the heart of
        > the ancient Jewish prohibition
        > against saying the "actual"
        > name of "God." It also is in
        > the Commandment against "graven
        > images," because any "image" of
        > "God" we have "graven" in our
        > imaginations by definition
        > diminishes that unknowable,
        > actual "God."

        You Sri Era and Sri Bruceji,

        This somewhat segues well into the concept that
        if you obey the first of the 10 Commandments,
        "Thou shalt put no other gods before Me", you will
        be obeying all 613 Thou shalt and Thou shalt nots
        that are in the Old Testament. Similarly, even if
        you are obeying all the other commandments, if
        you are not obeying the first, you are sinning.
        This means that one should always be thinking
        about and be available to God. And as an empty
        vehicle God will fill you with Her/His Divine
        energy, wisdom and blessings. So, if for instance
        you are thinking about your car, that car has become
        a god for you that has been put before The God.
        And that would be "sinning", whatever that means.
        That's why we find examples in every religious
        tradition of monks, priests, Lamas, nuns, Rabbi's,
        etc, chanting prayers to God or saying Her/His name
        non-stop. As we read and interact right this moment
        there is no doubt that millions of people are doing
        this devotional action.
        It is said that Mantra is the easiest path to Enlightenment
        (once againÂ…whatever that means). A "proof" of this
        is given in the description of Krishna playing his flute.
        The music caused the ladies to drop whatever they were
        doing and to experience divine ecstasy. This is because
        the flute was pure of all impurities and had nothing to
        block God's celestial harmonies. The analogy is that
        we too should be empty of all blocks to the cosmic
        flow, and those blockages are characterized as negative
        aspects of personality like anger, hate, cold-heartedness,
        being uncharitable, selfishness, etc. And if we are
        always chanting God's name, we are not doing any of
        those things which would make our flutes too dirty to
        sound pure chords, and we become perfect instruments
        for God to interact with his creation. And as we are
        obeying the first Command, we are also obeying all the
        Commands and we will live happily ever after.