A description of "GOD" from Upanishids (Hindu Scripture)

  • ERa
    Message 1 of 3 , Jan 15, 2008
      http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mTfEXfA7OAs

      Says, that the GOD what people think God is not god. God can not be
      know, truly known, those who think they know, know nothing: the
      ignorant think they know, the wise *know it beyond knowledge.

      When you see, that God works through you in every moment..enter
      eternal life.

      Nice bit from Upanishads read by Ram Das.
    • Bruce Morgen
      Message 2 of 3 , Jan 15, 2008
        ERa wrote:
        > http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mTfEXfA7OAs
        >

        > Says, that the GOD what people think God is not god. God can not be
        > know, truly known, those who think they know, know nothing: the
        > ignorant think they know, the wise *know it beyond knowledge.
        >
        > When you see, that God works through you in every moment..enter
        > eternal life.
        >
        > Nice bit from Upanishads read by Ram Das.

        Such a teaching is the heart of
        the ancient Jewish prohibition
        against saying the "actual"
        name of "God." It also is in
        the Commandment against "graven
        images," because any "image" of
        "God" we have "graven" in our
        imaginations by definition
        diminishes that unknowable,
        actual "God."
        Message 3 of 3 , Jan 16, 2008
          Bruce Morgen <editor@...> wrote:

          > ERa wrote:
          > > http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mTfEXfA7OAs
          > >

          > > Says, that the GOD what people think God is not god. God can not be
          > > know, truly known, those who think they know, know nothing: the
          > > ignorant think they know, the wise *know it beyond knowledge.
          > >
          > > When you see, that God works through you in every moment..enter
          > > eternal life.
          > >
          > > Nice bit from Upanishads read by Ram Das.
          > >
          > Such a teaching is the heart of
          > the ancient Jewish prohibition
          > against saying the "actual"
          > name of "God." It also is in
          > the Commandment against "graven
          > images," because any "image" of
          > "God" we have "graven" in our
          > imaginations by definition
          > diminishes that unknowable,
          > actual "God."

          You Sri Era and Sri Bruceji,

          This somewhat segues well into the concept that
          if you obey the first of the 10 Commandments,
          "Thou shalt put no other gods before Me", you will
          be obeying all 613 Thou shalt and Thou shalt nots
          that are in the Old Testament. Similarly, even if
          you are obeying all the other commandments, if
          you are not obeying the first, you are sinning.
          This means that one should always be thinking
          about and be available to God. And as an empty
          vehicle God will fill you with Her/His Divine
          energy, wisdom and blessings. So, if for instance
          you are thinking about your car, that car has become
          a god for you that has been put before The God.
          And that would be "sinning", whatever that means.
          That's why we find examples in every religious
          tradition of monks, priests, Lamas, nuns, Rabbi's,
          etc, chanting prayers to God or saying Her/His name
          non-stop. As we read and interact right this moment
          there is no doubt that millions of people are doing
          this devotional action.
          It is said that Mantra is the easiest path to Enlightenment
          (once againÂ…whatever that means). A "proof" of this
          is given in the description of Krishna playing his flute.
          The music caused the ladies to drop whatever they were
          doing and to experience divine ecstasy. This is because
          the flute was pure of all impurities and had nothing to
          block God's celestial harmonies. The analogy is that
          we too should be empty of all blocks to the cosmic
          flow, and those blockages are characterized as negative
          aspects of personality like anger, hate, cold-heartedness,
          being uncharitable, selfishness, etc. And if we are
          always chanting God's name, we are not doing any of
          those things which would make our flutes too dirty to
          sound pure chords, and we become perfect instruments
          for God to interact with his creation. And as we are
          obeying the first Command, we are also obeying all the
          Commands and we will live happily ever after.