Re: The Best Book on Meditation

  • jogeshwarmahanta
    Message 1 of 18 , Jan 9, 2008
      "feel
      you have 10 lifetimes to learn and earn your way out of here, by all
      means go for Patanjali's Yoga Sutras."

      Yes. The first objective is to prolong your life span first.
      regards

      --- In meditationsocietyofamerica@yahoogroups.com, "jvmarco"
      <jvmarco@...> wrote:

      > In my opinion, the best currently available book on meditation is
      The
      > Myth of Freedom by Chogyam Trungpa.
      >
      > It is said that it takes 100 life times for a monk to realize
      > enlightenment,...for a yogi it takes about 10
      lifetimes,...however,
      > for a sly (wo)man, enlightenment can be realized in a single
      > lifetime. That meditation is called the Short Path or Vajrayana.
      >
      > If you really cannot acknowledge the impermanence of duality and
      feel
      > you have 10 lifetimes to learn and earn your way out of here, by
      all
      > means go for Patanjali's Yoga Sutras. If, on the other hand, you
      > realize that you don't have all the time in the world, and truly
      > appreciate how lucky you are to even have time for meditation, try
      > the Short Path.

      > :)
      >

      > --- In
      > <jogeshwarmahanta@> wrote:
      > >
      > > So,I think, now there will be focus on Patanjali's Yoga
      Sutras,the
      > > smallest book of the greatest importance.
      > > regards
      > >

      > > --- In
      > > meditationsocietyofamerica@yahoogroups.com, "jogeshwarmahanta"
      > > <jogeshwarmahanta@> wrote:
      > > >
      > > > Oh! I forgot one very important aspect.
      > > >
      > > > In relation to God:
      > > >
      > > > Patanjal-Ishwara pranidhanadva(Or by devotion to God)
      > > >
      > > > Geeta-Sarba dharman parityajya mamekam sharanam braja(Abandon
      all
      > > > and surrender to Me)-Lord Krishna
      > > > regards
      > > >

      > > > --- In
      > > > meditationsocietyofamerica@yahoogroups.com, "jogeshwarmahanta"

      Madbhagavat
      > > > Geeta.

      > > > mind/procliviries).

      > > > success

      > > > medit8ionsociety

      > > meditationsocietyofamerica@yahoogroups.com, "jogeshwarmahanta"

      > practice
      > > > of

    • Balasubramanian Radhakrishnan Kumar
      Message 2 of 18 , Jan 9, 2008
        Sri Bhagavan Ramana Maharishi's self enquiry method for self realisation is the shortest and the best. -- B.R.Kumar, Chennai -41, INDIA

        To: meditationsocietyofamerica@yahoogroups.com
        From: jogeshwarmahanta@...
        Date: Thu, 10 Jan 2008 06:17:00 +0000
        Subject: [Meditation Society of America] Re: The Best Book on Meditation

        <jvmarco@... > wrote:

        > In my opinion, the best currently available book on meditation is
        The
        > Myth of Freedom by Chogyam Trungpa.
        >
        > It is said that it takes 100 life times for a monk to realize
        > enlightenment, ...for a yogi it takes about 10
        lifetimes,.. .however,
        > for a sly (wo)man, enlightenment can be realized in a single
        > lifetime. That meditation is called the Short Path or Vajrayana.
        >
        > If you really cannot acknowledge the impermanence of duality and
        feel
        > you have 10 lifetimes to learn and earn your way out of here, by
        all
        > means go for Patanjali's Yoga Sutras. If, on the other hand, you
        > realize that you don't have all the time in the world, and truly
        > appreciate how lucky you are to even have time for meditation, try
        > the Short Path.

        > :)
        >

        > --- In
        meditationsocietyof america@yahoogro ups.com, "jogeshwarmahanta"
        > <jogeshwarmahanta@ > wrote:
        > >
        > > So,I think, now there will be focus on Patanjali's Yoga
        Sutras,the
        > > smallest book of the greatest importance.
        > > regards
        > >

        > > --- In
        > > meditationsocietyof america@yahoogro ups.com, "jogeshwarmahanta"
        > > <jogeshwarmahanta@ > wrote:
        > > >
        > > > Oh! I forgot one very important aspect.
        > > >
        > > > In relation to God:
        > > >
        > > > Patanjal-Ishwara pranidhanadva( Or by devotion to God)
        > > >
        > > > Geeta-Sarba dharman parityajya mamekam sharanam braja(Abandon
        all
        > > > and surrender to Me)-Lord Krishna
        > > > regards
        > > >

        > > > --- In
        > > > meditationsocietyof america@yahoogro ups.com, "jogeshwarmahanta"

        Madbhagavat
        > > > Geeta.

        > > > mind/procliviries) .

        > > > success

        > > > medit8ionsociety

        meditationsocietyof america@yahoogro ups.com, "jogeshwarmahanta"

        > > meditationsocietyof america@yahoogro ups.com, "jogeshwarmahanta"

        > practice
        > > > of

        Fly HYD-BLR for Rs.499 Log on to MakeMyTrip! Check it out!
      • jogeshwarmahanta
        Message 3 of 18 , Jan 9, 2008
          From 1 book to 4 now.
          regards

          --- In meditationsocietyofamerica@yahoogroups.com, Balasubramanian
          Radhakrishnan Kumar <kumarbr20@...> wrote:

          > Sri Bhagavan Ramana Maharishi's self enquiry method for self
          realisation is the shortest and the best. -- B.R.Kumar, Chennai -41,
          INDIA

          > To: meditationsocietyofamerica@...: jogeshwarmahanta@...: Thu, 10
          Jan 2008 06:17:00 +0000Subject: [Meditation Society of America] Re:
          The Best Book on Meditation

          > "feelyou have 10 lifetimes to learn and earn your way out of here,
          by allmeans go for Patanjali's Yoga Sutras."Yes. The first objective
          is to prolong your life span first.regards--- In
          meditationsocietyofamerica@yahoogroups.com, "jvmarco" <jvmarco@>
          wrote:>> In my opinion, the best currently available book on
          meditation is The > Myth of Freedom by Chogyam Trungpa.> > It is
          said that it takes 100 life times for a monk to realize >
          enlightenment,...for a yogi it takes about 10 lifetimes,...however,
          > for a sly (wo)man, enlightenment can be realized in a single >
          lifetime. That meditation is called the Short Path or Vajrayana.> >
          If you really cannot acknowledge the impermanence of duality and
          feel > you have 10 lifetimes to learn and earn your way out of here,
          by all > means go for Patanjali's Yoga Sutras. If, on the other
          hand, you > realize that you don't have all the time in the world,
          and truly > appreciate how lucky you are to even have time for
          meditation, try > the Short Path. > > V> :)> > > --- In
          meditationsocietyofamerica@yahoogroups.com, "jogeshwarmahanta" >
          <jogeshwarmahanta@> wrote:> >> > So,I think, now there will be focus
          on Patanjali's Yoga Sutras,the > > smallest book of the greatest
          importance.> > regards> > > > > > --- In > >
          meditationsocietyofamerica@yahoogroups.com, "jogeshwarmahanta" > >
          <jogeshwarmahanta@> wrote:> > >> > > Oh! I forgot one very important
          aspect.> > > > > > In relation to God:> > > > > > Patanjal-Ishwara
          pranidhanadva(Or by devotion to God)> > > > > > Geeta-Sarba dharman
          parityajya mamekam sharanam braja(Abandon all > > > and surrender to
          Me)-Lord Krishna> > > regards> > > > > > > > > > > > --- In > > >
          meditationsocietyofamerica@yahoogroups.com, "jogeshwarmahanta" > > >
          <jogeshwarmahanta@> wrote:> > > >> > > > Sorry for the spelling
          mistake.I intended to write Madbhagavat > > > Geeta.> > > > > > > >
          No. > > > > The definitions of Yoga:> > > > > > > > Patnjali-
          Yogaschittavritti norodhah(Regulation of > > > mind/procliviries).>
          (Accepting > > > success > > > > and failure as the same)> > > > > >
          > > Objectives-Moksha.> > > > > > > > Patanjali-Attaining the purest
          conscience/Transcending time and > > > > space.> > > > > > > > Geeta-
          Merger with Him/God/Almighty/The Braman.> > > > > > > > Approach:> >
          manner.> > > > > > > > regards> > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > >
          > > > medit8ionsociety > > > > <no_reply@> wrote:> > > > >> > > > > -
          -- In > > > >
          meditationsocietyofamerica@yahoogroups.com, "jogeshwarmahanta"> > >
          > > <jogeshwarmahanta@> wrote:> > > > > >> > > > > > No further
          views?> > > > > > regards> > > > > > > > > > > Yo Sri
          Jogeshwarmahanta,> > > > > I didn't realize that you were referring
          to > > > > > the Bhagavad Gita, but now I am assuming you > > > > >
          were, and that it was your unique spelling> > > > > (Magbhagvat
          Geeta) that made me feel unable> > > > > to reply. I don't see in
          any way that the> > > > > 2 books as being "diametrically opposite.>
          perfectly. The Gita shares how one can best> > > > > prepare to
          medtate and live a pure life that> > > > > eliminates the
          distractions that hold one back> > > > > from experiencing the
          bounty of treasures that> > > > > meditation brings. And the Sutras
          are the> > > > > perfect "how-to" book on meditation. Together> > >
          > > they comprise the totality of all one> > > > > needs to learn,
          and then do, to best unfold> > > > > the flower of peace, wisdom and
          bliss that is> > > > > within and is the birthright of all of
          humanity.> > > > > Peace and Blessings,> > > > > Bob> > > > > > ---
          meditationsocietyofamerica@yahoogroups.com, "jogeshwarmahanta" > > >
          > > > <jogeshwarmahanta@> wrote:> > > > > > >> > > > > > > Has any
          body gone through comparative reading and > practice > > > of > > >
          > > objectives > > > > > > > of the two texts are diametrically
          opposite.> > > > > > > > > > > > > > From the practice point of
          view, I think, Yoga Sutras is > a > > > > better > > > > > > >