Re: The Best Book on Meditation

  • jvmarco
    Message 1 of 18 , Jan 9, 2008
      In my opinion, the best currently available book on meditation is The
      Myth of Freedom by Chogyam Trungpa.

      It is said that it takes 100 life times for a monk to realize
      enlightenment,...for a yogi it takes about 10 lifetimes,...however,
      for a sly (wo)man, enlightenment can be realized in a single
      lifetime. That meditation is called the Short Path or Vajrayana.

      If you really cannot acknowledge the impermanence of duality and feel
      you have 10 lifetimes to learn and earn your way out of here, by all
      means go for Patanjali's Yoga Sutras. If, on the other hand, you
      realize that you don't have all the time in the world, and truly
      appreciate how lucky you are to even have time for meditation, try
      the Short Path.

      :)

      --- In meditationsocietyofamerica@yahoogroups.com, "jogeshwarmahanta"
      <jogeshwarmahanta@...> wrote:

      > So,I think, now there will be focus on Patanjali's Yoga Sutras,the
      > smallest book of the greatest importance.
      > regards
      >

      > --- In
      > meditationsocietyofamerica@yahoogroups.com, "jogeshwarmahanta"
      > <jogeshwarmahanta@> wrote:
      > >
      > > Oh! I forgot one very important aspect.
      > >
      > > In relation to God:
      > >
      > > Patanjal-Ishwara pranidhanadva(Or by devotion to God)
      > >
      > > Geeta-Sarba dharman parityajya mamekam sharanam braja(Abandon all
      > > and surrender to Me)-Lord Krishna
      > > regards
      > >

      > > --- In
      > > meditationsocietyofamerica@yahoogroups.com, "jogeshwarmahanta"
      > > <jogeshwarmahanta@> wrote:
      > > >
      > > > Sorry for the spelling mistake.I intended to write Madbhagavat
      > > Geeta.
      > > >
      > > > No.
      > > > The definitions of Yoga:
      > > >
      > > > Patnjali-Yogaschittavritti norodhah(Regulation of
      > > mind/procliviries).
      > > >
      > > > Geeta-Sdhyasidhyo samabhutwa samatwam yoga uchyate(Accepting
      > > success
      > > > and failure as the same)
      > > >
      > > > Objectives-Moksha.
      > > >
      > > > Patanjali-Attaining the purest conscience/Transcending time and
      > > > space.
      > > >
      > > > Geeta-Merger with Him/God/Almighty/The Braman.
      > > >
      > > > Approach:
      > > >
      > > > Patanjali-Continuous deconditioning and reconditioning.
      > > >
      > > > Geeta-Just witnessing the happenings in detached manner.
      > > >
      > > > regards

      > > medit8ionsociety

      > > > meditationsocietyofamerica@yahoogroups.com, "jogeshwarmahanta"

      > meditationsocietyofamerica@yahoogroups.com, "jogeshwarmahanta"

      > > of
      > > > objectives

      > > > better

    • jogeshwarmahanta
      Message 2 of 18 , Jan 9, 2008
        "feel
        you have 10 lifetimes to learn and earn your way out of here, by all
        means go for Patanjali's Yoga Sutras."

        Yes. The first objective is to prolong your life span first.
        regards

        --- In meditationsocietyofamerica@yahoogroups.com, "jvmarco"
        <jvmarco@...> wrote:

        > In my opinion, the best currently available book on meditation is
        The
        > Myth of Freedom by Chogyam Trungpa.
        >
        > It is said that it takes 100 life times for a monk to realize
        > enlightenment,...for a yogi it takes about 10
        lifetimes,...however,
        > for a sly (wo)man, enlightenment can be realized in a single
        > lifetime. That meditation is called the Short Path or Vajrayana.
        >
        > If you really cannot acknowledge the impermanence of duality and
        feel
        > you have 10 lifetimes to learn and earn your way out of here, by
        all
        > means go for Patanjali's Yoga Sutras. If, on the other hand, you
        > realize that you don't have all the time in the world, and truly
        > appreciate how lucky you are to even have time for meditation, try
        > the Short Path.

        > :)
        >

        > --- In
        > <jogeshwarmahanta@> wrote:
        > >
        > > So,I think, now there will be focus on Patanjali's Yoga
        Sutras,the
        > > smallest book of the greatest importance.
        > > regards
        > >

        > > --- In
        > > meditationsocietyofamerica@yahoogroups.com, "jogeshwarmahanta"
        > > <jogeshwarmahanta@> wrote:
        > > >
        > > > Oh! I forgot one very important aspect.
        > > >
        > > > In relation to God:
        > > >
        > > > Patanjal-Ishwara pranidhanadva(Or by devotion to God)
        > > >
        > > > Geeta-Sarba dharman parityajya mamekam sharanam braja(Abandon
        all
        > > > and surrender to Me)-Lord Krishna
        > > > regards
        > > >

        > > > --- In
        > > > meditationsocietyofamerica@yahoogroups.com, "jogeshwarmahanta"

        Madbhagavat
        > > > Geeta.

        > > > mind/procliviries).

        > > > success

        > > > medit8ionsociety

        > > meditationsocietyofamerica@yahoogroups.com, "jogeshwarmahanta"

        > practice
        > > > of

      • Balasubramanian Radhakrishnan Kumar
        Message 3 of 18 , Jan 9, 2008
          Sri Bhagavan Ramana Maharishi's self enquiry method for self realisation is the shortest and the best. -- B.R.Kumar, Chennai -41, INDIA

          To: meditationsocietyofamerica@yahoogroups.com
          From: jogeshwarmahanta@...
          Date: Thu, 10 Jan 2008 06:17:00 +0000
          Subject: [Meditation Society of America] Re: The Best Book on Meditation

          <jvmarco@... > wrote:

          > In my opinion, the best currently available book on meditation is
          The
          > Myth of Freedom by Chogyam Trungpa.
          >
          > It is said that it takes 100 life times for a monk to realize
          > enlightenment, ...for a yogi it takes about 10
          lifetimes,.. .however,
          > for a sly (wo)man, enlightenment can be realized in a single
          > lifetime. That meditation is called the Short Path or Vajrayana.
          >
          > If you really cannot acknowledge the impermanence of duality and
          feel
          > you have 10 lifetimes to learn and earn your way out of here, by
          all
          > means go for Patanjali's Yoga Sutras. If, on the other hand, you
          > realize that you don't have all the time in the world, and truly
          > appreciate how lucky you are to even have time for meditation, try
          > the Short Path.

          > :)
          >

          > --- In
          meditationsocietyof america@yahoogro ups.com, "jogeshwarmahanta"
          > <jogeshwarmahanta@ > wrote:
          > >
          > > So,I think, now there will be focus on Patanjali's Yoga
          Sutras,the
          > > smallest book of the greatest importance.
          > > regards
          > >

          > > --- In
          > > meditationsocietyof america@yahoogro ups.com, "jogeshwarmahanta"
          > > <jogeshwarmahanta@ > wrote:
          > > >
          > > > Oh! I forgot one very important aspect.
          > > >
          > > > In relation to God:
          > > >
          > > > Patanjal-Ishwara pranidhanadva( Or by devotion to God)
          > > >
          > > > Geeta-Sarba dharman parityajya mamekam sharanam braja(Abandon
          all
          > > > and surrender to Me)-Lord Krishna
          > > > regards
          > > >

          > > > --- In
          > > > meditationsocietyof america@yahoogro ups.com, "jogeshwarmahanta"

          Madbhagavat
          > > > Geeta.

          > > > mind/procliviries) .

          > > > success

          > > > medit8ionsociety

          meditationsocietyof america@yahoogro ups.com, "jogeshwarmahanta"

          > > meditationsocietyof america@yahoogro ups.com, "jogeshwarmahanta"

          > practice
          > > > of

          Fly HYD-BLR for Rs.499 Log on to MakeMyTrip! Check it out!
        • jogeshwarmahanta
          Message 4 of 18 , Jan 9, 2008
            From 1 book to 4 now.
            regards

            --- In meditationsocietyofamerica@yahoogroups.com, Balasubramanian
            Radhakrishnan Kumar <kumarbr20@...> wrote:

            > Sri Bhagavan Ramana Maharishi's self enquiry method for self
            realisation is the shortest and the best. -- B.R.Kumar, Chennai -41,
            INDIA

            > To: meditationsocietyofamerica@...: jogeshwarmahanta@...: Thu, 10
            Jan 2008 06:17:00 +0000Subject: [Meditation Society of America] Re:
            The Best Book on Meditation

            > "feelyou have 10 lifetimes to learn and earn your way out of here,
            by allmeans go for Patanjali's Yoga Sutras."Yes. The first objective
            is to prolong your life span first.regards--- In
            meditationsocietyofamerica@yahoogroups.com, "jvmarco" <jvmarco@>
            wrote:>> In my opinion, the best currently available book on
            meditation is The > Myth of Freedom by Chogyam Trungpa.> > It is
            said that it takes 100 life times for a monk to realize >
            enlightenment,...for a yogi it takes about 10 lifetimes,...however,
            > for a sly (wo)man, enlightenment can be realized in a single >
            lifetime. That meditation is called the Short Path or Vajrayana.> >
            If you really cannot acknowledge the impermanence of duality and
            feel > you have 10 lifetimes to learn and earn your way out of here,
            by all > means go for Patanjali's Yoga Sutras. If, on the other
            hand, you > realize that you don't have all the time in the world,
            and truly > appreciate how lucky you are to even have time for
            meditation, try > the Short Path. > > V> :)> > > --- In
            meditationsocietyofamerica@yahoogroups.com, "jogeshwarmahanta" >
            <jogeshwarmahanta@> wrote:> >> > So,I think, now there will be focus
            on Patanjali's Yoga Sutras,the > > smallest book of the greatest
            importance.> > regards> > > > > > --- In > >
            meditationsocietyofamerica@yahoogroups.com, "jogeshwarmahanta" > >
            <jogeshwarmahanta@> wrote:> > >> > > Oh! I forgot one very important
            aspect.> > > > > > In relation to God:> > > > > > Patanjal-Ishwara
            pranidhanadva(Or by devotion to God)> > > > > > Geeta-Sarba dharman
            parityajya mamekam sharanam braja(Abandon all > > > and surrender to
            Me)-Lord Krishna> > > regards> > > > > > > > > > > > --- In > > >
            meditationsocietyofamerica@yahoogroups.com, "jogeshwarmahanta" > > >
            <jogeshwarmahanta@> wrote:> > > >> > > > Sorry for the spelling
            mistake.I intended to write Madbhagavat > > > Geeta.> > > > > > > >
            No. > > > > The definitions of Yoga:> > > > > > > > Patnjali-
            Yogaschittavritti norodhah(Regulation of > > > mind/procliviries).>
            (Accepting > > > success > > > > and failure as the same)> > > > > >
            > > Objectives-Moksha.> > > > > > > > Patanjali-Attaining the purest
            conscience/Transcending time and > > > > space.> > > > > > > > Geeta-
            Merger with Him/God/Almighty/The Braman.> > > > > > > > Approach:> >
            manner.> > > > > > > > regards> > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > >
            > > > medit8ionsociety > > > > <no_reply@> wrote:> > > > >> > > > > -
            -- In > > > >
            meditationsocietyofamerica@yahoogroups.com, "jogeshwarmahanta"> > >
            > > <jogeshwarmahanta@> wrote:> > > > > >> > > > > > No further
            views?> > > > > > regards> > > > > > > > > > > Yo Sri
            Jogeshwarmahanta,> > > > > I didn't realize that you were referring
            to > > > > > the Bhagavad Gita, but now I am assuming you > > > > >
            were, and that it was your unique spelling> > > > > (Magbhagvat
            Geeta) that made me feel unable> > > > > to reply. I don't see in
            any way that the> > > > > 2 books as being "diametrically opposite.>
            perfectly. The Gita shares how one can best> > > > > prepare to
            medtate and live a pure life that> > > > > eliminates the
            distractions that hold one back> > > > > from experiencing the
            bounty of treasures that> > > > > meditation brings. And the Sutras
            are the> > > > > perfect "how-to" book on meditation. Together> > >
            > > they comprise the totality of all one> > > > > needs to learn,
            and then do, to best unfold> > > > > the flower of peace, wisdom and
            bliss that is> > > > > within and is the birthright of all of
            humanity.> > > > > Peace and Blessings,> > > > > Bob> > > > > > ---
            meditationsocietyofamerica@yahoogroups.com, "jogeshwarmahanta" > > >
            > > > <jogeshwarmahanta@> wrote:> > > > > > >> > > > > > > Has any
            body gone through comparative reading and > practice > > > of > > >
            > > objectives > > > > > > > of the two texts are diametrically
            opposite.> > > > > > > > > > > > > > From the practice point of
            view, I think, Yoga Sutras is > a > > > > better > > > > > > >