Enhance Healing Through Guided Imagery

    Message 1 of 5 , Jan 4, 2008
      Article from medicalnewstoday site 1/4/08:

      Enhance Healing Through Guided Imagery
      Main Category: Neurology / Neuroscience News
      Article Date: 04 Jan 2008 - 0:00 PST

      Aristotle and Hippocrates believed in the power
      of images in the brain to enliven the heart and
      body. Today, research shows they were right. Guided
      imagery is helping patients use the full range of
      the body's healing capacity, according to the
      January issue of Mayo Clinic Health Letter.

      Guided imagery is more than listening to relaxing
      sounds. It's a learning process to listen to
      someone's voice, relax the breathing and consciously
      direct the ability to imagine. The effect of guided
      vivid imagery sends a message to the emotional
      control center of the brain. From there, the message
      is passed along to the body's endocrine, immune and
      autonomic nervous systems. These systems influence a
      wide range of bodily functions, including heart and
      breathing rates and blood pressure.

      Guided imagery has been shown to benefit patients by:

      -- Reducing side effects from cancer treatment

      -- Reducing fear and anxiety prior to surgery. Studies
      have shown that surgery patients who participated in
      two to four guided imagery sessions required less pain
      medication and left the hospital more quickly than those
      who hadn't used imagery.

      -- Managing stress

      -- Managing headaches. Studies have shown that guided
      imagery may aid in reducing the frequency of migraine
      headaches as effectively as taking preventive
      medications.

      On the Internet, http://www.healthjourneys.com offers
      information on guided imagery. A physician may be able
      to recommend providers experienced in this technique.

      Mayo Clinic
      200 First St. SW
      Rochester, MN 55902
      United States
      http://www.mayoclinic.com

      FAIR USE NOTICE
      This site contains copyrighted material the
      use of which has not always been specifically
      authorized by the copyright owner. We are
      making such material available in our efforts
      to advance understanding of environmental,
      scientific, spiritual, and social justice issues,
      etc. We believe this constitutes a 'fair use'
      for in section 107 of the US Copyright Law.
      the material on this site is distributed
      without profit to those who have expressed a
      prior interest in receiving the included information
      for research and educational purposes. For more
      information go to:
      http://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/17/107.shtml.
      site for purposes of your own that go beyond 'fair use',
      you must obtain permission from the copyright owner
      Message 2 of 5 , Jan 4, 2008
        Oh yeah...As the last several E-mails I have just
        received reminded me, the Meditation Society of
        America offers a Guided Meditation CD. Info
        about it's contents can be found here:
        http://www.meditationsociety.com/cd.html
        And, as has been suggested, I must mention that
        it's my voice doing the meditation guiding.
        I hope that those who have been using it have
        found it beneficial and enjoyable.
        PS: I witness feelings of something similar to
        embarrassment floating past my mind's eye for
        being involved in any way with self-promotion. But,
        as a good meditator should, I will just let those
        feelings pass and go on to more... shall we say
        "serene" ones.

      • jogeshwarmahanta
        Message 3 of 5 , Jan 9, 2008
          Yes.

          2. Why not every one here learns it here and now?

          3.Just describe Nandan Kanan,the most beutiful paradise of Indra as
          beautifully as possible and enjoy it here and now and enrich
          endorphins.
          regards

          Message 4 of 5 , Jan 9, 2008
            Yes. Intangible to tangible is guided imagery.
            regards

            --- In

            Message 5 of 5 , Jan 22, 2008
              Why none is interested in guided imagery? I think, guided imagery is
              MEDITATION EXPLOSION. May be that it will lead to a stage in human
              civilization when the hospitals will by closed.
              Please accelerate the process.
              regards

              --- In